Chapter 202 – Nightmares and Visitors
172 0 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 202 - Nightmares and Visitors

Just to the west of Noga, outside the city limits. A large manor on top of a hill overlooked a well kept estate. To the west, a peaceful landscape of rolling farmland spread out as far as the eye could see.

On the first floor of the manor, a family of three was having breakfast in their bright, extravagant dining room.

At the head of the table, a portly man with a double chin was finishing off his second helping of the day’s soup. Heavy bags hung under his exhausted eyes, and his silk robe was unkempt and wrinkled.

His wife sat at the opposite end of the table, her long hair done up in a fancy bun. She too, looked worse for wear. Her matronly, attractive face was pale, and despite wearing multiple warm layers, she still shivered constantly. Her soup and bread was cold and untouched in front of her. Despite her condition and lack of appetite, she still had the presence of mind to sit straight and observed her husband with a worried look.

In the center of the table a worried looking Victoria Shum picked at the fruit pastry in front of her.

“What time did you arrive home, dear?” Lady Shum asked, “I was worried you would be held up at the ministry all night again.”

“No, no. There were… disturbances in the forest last night.” Earl Shum replied with a cough, “We had an emergency convention of the ministers. I didn’t return until past three in the morning. And even then, I was working on paperwork in my study-”

“I even fell asleep at my desk, yet I woke to a nightmare.” He paused as a dark expression passed over his face. He sighed, “I don’t even get respite in my sleep.”

“You work too hard, dear. You need to rest.” Lady Shum replied.

A trio of waiters wearing pressed cotton shirts entered from the kitchen doors, carrying three silver cloches in a dignified manner. They walked across the carpeted room and stood behind each of the family members sitting at overly large table.

Simultaneously, they placed the covered plates in front of each family member and removed the cloches, revealing the steaming hot dishes for the main course of the meal. The conversation continued uninterrupted as the waiters deftly cleared the table.

“Thinking about it, this was a strange one…” Earl Shum muttered. His small eyes narrowed as he cast a glance over to the main doors, speaking to himself, “I was in my study, as if I had just woken up from dozing off. There on my table a talking grey cat warned me not to accept guests at the manor today…”

“Seems rather tame for a nightmare.” Lady Shum pulled down the sleeves of her overcoat over her hands as she waved away the food presented toward her, not at all hungry.

“It was quite lifelike, I suppose.” Earl Shum grabbed a fork with his pudgy fingers and stabbed it into a sausage, frowning, “In any case, we had better not leave the manor for the next while.”

“What happened last night, daddy?” The seventeen year old girl asked with a tentative air.

She was deathly curious about the events across the city, but for the last week and a half her father had restricted her to stay within the manor grounds, or escorted to the manors of her friends. The Zhao ball had been her first time out since the night of the living vines - something that Victoria had only heard of from her friends.

Ever since the terrifying, exciting events at the ball two nights ago, Victoria had been fully locked indoors and had not even been allowed any visitors. The memory of the ravenous, rapidly growing lizard monster captivated her mind. The illusory voice that came out of nowhere and ordered her to tear off her dress. The image of Mr. Nao walking past her with his top hat and cane and his tailcoats fluttering behind him. The determined glare in his eyes as he firmly said,

“I’ll handle it.”

It was all. So. Cool!

She had previously thought that she lived a good life. She had her violin and dancing lessons and enjoyed impressing her peers and elders at recitals and events. Her father encouraged her to pursue her interest in numbers and logistics, and even at her young age she was taking care of the finances of several trade companies as an assistant manager. Financial success was exciting and fulfilling and up until the events of the last two weeks she thought she was on top of the world.

But now, the strange and mysterious events occurring around the city were all Victoria could think about.

“Last night?” Earl Shum stammered slightly as he looked over to his daughter, “Oh- nothing, Vicky. Adult things. Quite boring, really.”

“But you said that something happened in the forest.” Victoria countered, “Did it have something to do with the solar eclipse last night? The sky looked like it was split in two! Mom said she’d never seen anything like it.”

“It was just a meteorological event. Nothing you need to be interested in.” Earl Shum replied tersely.

“I just-“

“Vicky, this topic is not appropriate!” Earl Shum said, interrupting his daughter with a stern expression, “Take your mind off of it and eat your breakfast!”

“Yes, father.” Vicky’s expression deflated as she gazed down at her plate, obediently picking up her fork.

This ended the conversation for the rest of the meal, with only the clink of cutlery to break the silence.

Earl Shum left the dining room with a worried frown on his face. He couldn’t stop thinking about the dream with the cat who had warned him not to accept visitors.

Due to his position in the city, the Earl was part of the small group of non-Exalted people who were aware of the nature of the Exalted world. Only the elite in society, who had the power or money to become involved in Exalted affairs, were aware of this mystical world. Like Sansen Zhao, knowing these things effectively made him part of a very exclusive club.

Though he did not have much personal experience with Exalted matters, he knew that ominous dreams were not to be taken lightly.

“Tell the guards at the gate not to accept any visitors today.” Earl Shum muttered to his head butler in private, “How is Anita?”

“Lady Shum is faring well.” The old, grey haired man wearing a black suit frowned, “She is still feeling weak, but she says she feels better after praying in the Cathedral each day.”

“Did you look further into the White Maiden?”

“Yes, sir. It appears that many people have indeed been cured of infection after praying at Her shrine. If the forest weren’t so dangerous, perhaps it would be worth the trip.”

“No, not anymore. The forest has been overtaken. The entire city east of the Cathedral is dangerous to travel in…” Earl Shum frowned, “I have some thinking to do. Remember to instruct the gatekeepers.”

“Yes, sir.”

A few minutes later Earl Shum found himself in his study, a brightly lit chamber lined with plaques and displays holding various medals and badges. He walked up to his chestnut table and placed a hand on it, rapping his fingers against it.

“That nightmare…” He muttered under his breath to himself as he recalled the nightmare he had during the night. “That dream…”

It had taken place here in his study, but it was dark and distorted in the way that dreams tend to be. He had woken at his desk, as if he had fallen asleep while working, and there on the table was a bluish grey cat wearing a well-fitting green coat with numerous pockets.

“This is a warning.” The cat said, its yellow eyes staring straight into his own, “Your family is in danger. Do not accept any visitors into your manor today.”

The cat’s two eyes glowed brightly from within as its words echoed off of the walls. Opalescent flower petals stirred up out of the darkness, swirling around them in a sudden flurry of wind. Various threats and murmurs whispered within the echoes, layering on top of each other in an incomprehensible noise that drilled deep into his subconscious.

Even now, hours after he had awoken, he subconsciously felt that anyone who came to call on him today were harbingers of doom for him and his family.

A name popped into his mind causing him to stop rapping the desk. There was one other thing that the cat had said to him before the dream ended.

“The Pearl Lotus Society will watch over you…” He muttered as a creeping feeling traveled up his spine. He had never heard of this Society before. Was it just something his subconscious made up?

The words triggered another memory from the dream as his eyes shot over to his cigar box at the end of the desk. His hands began shaking as he tilted open the mahogany lid.

A singular velvety flower petal lay across the cigars. Its creamy off-white colour reflected the daylight in subtle rainbows.

Earl Shum picked up the petal with hesitation, turning it around gently between his fingers as a cold sweat gathered at his temples.

A sudden rapping at the door caused the portly man to let out a startled yelp as he nearly jumped over the desk in surprise.

“Y-yes?” He stammered in a high pitched voice.

“Sorry for disturbing you, sir.” The door opened, letting the familiar voice of his butler enter the room, “You have some men here to see you. They have an appointment.”

“N-no I don’t recall any appointment. I told you before, I’m not seeing any visitors today.” Earl Shum replied frantically, “Don’t allow them through the gate. Turn them away!”

The door opened further as the old butler walked in, bowing deeply, “My apologies, sir, I thought it would be rude.”

Earl Shum’s eyes twitched as he subconsciously felt something was terribly wrong. As he stood in shock, the memories of the random whispers from the dream congealed together in his mind. He was sure that he didn’t have any appointments on this day. Furthermore, he realized with a start that his butler would never act this way.

In a spontaneous motion, Earl Shum took a step toward the butler and shot his hand out, placing it directly on the old man’s forehead.

The petal in his hand immediately turned black and crumbled into dust.

“G..Guards!” Earl Shum didn’t know what the meaning of the petal crumbling meant, but he could only assume that something was terribly wrong. He backed away as his eyes bulged out in fear. “Guards! Help!”

His cries were cut short as six monks in blue robes walked into the doorway, forming two lines on either side of the room.

Immediately following them, Abbott Deacon Glass’s stern figure appeared in the doorway. His long blue robes embroidered with clouds flowed elegantly as he clasped his hands together and bowed reverently to the panicked minister.

“Good morning, Earl Shum.” The Abbott said in a deep voice, “I’m here to discuss the business of the festival with you.”

10