Chapter 229 – Gentle Words
134 1 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 229 - Gentle words

Word spread quickly about the newcomer, and before the hour had passed a throng of visitors had gathered around the holy man.

They kept their distance, bowing their head respectfully and taking care not to stare. A tension hung in the air, apprehension around the strange visitor dressed in wild furs and leather belts. Though none of them had ever seen a guru-chi in person before, they had all heard the stories and felt compelled to greet the holy man and treat him with utmost respect and reverence.

His head was concealed by a thick black cloth that was wrapped in many layers. Though the cloth itself was plain, the wrapping method was complex, forming interesting folds as they concealed everything from the neck up, aside from a thin horizontal band across the eyes. Coloured, braided tassels were tied in drooping loops on the sides and back, predominantly yellow and red to represent the Sun.

The guru-chi’s skin was a deep shade of brown, wrinkled but also ageless. The lids of his eyes were heavy, with deep bags forming circles under his eyes. The bridge of his nose was thin. His eyes were bright red, like a rat’s, and at times seemed to glow with an inner light.

He sat on a bench in front of the town’s well, which served as the central gathering area. In his leather-gloved hand was a black walking cane. One by one the visitors approached and bowed to him, uttering short greetings as best they knew how. Though they were poor, they gathered what little they could and offered them as gifts.

A small pouch of rice. A wreath of spring herbs. Candles.

They were careful to observe propriety, as much to honour the presence of the man as well as avoid insulting him. The guru-chi accepted each gift with a gentle nod of his head and a small verbal blessing, “The light of the Sun God shines on you.”

Jun Hu, the village elder, spread the word that each family was to pay their respects to the guru-chi and receive his blessing. And so before long nearly every member of the village had gathered and presented a small offering to the man.

Nilya watched from a hiding space as one of his friends ran into his house and relayed the message to his family. His mother and uncle emerged shortly after and went looking for him while calling his name.

Nilya knew that he should join them and pay his respects, but he couldn’t bring himself to go. A terror filled him. He couldn’t stop thinking of the guru-chi’s glowing red eyes and the haunting way the man looked out onto the swamp.

After a while his mother and uncle couldn’t wait any longer for Nilya to show up and they made their way to the well. Nilya followed from a distance, making sure not to be seen. He watched as they solemnly approached the guru-chi and presented a small pouch to the man. They were dried fragrant herbs, his family’s specialty.

They bowed their heads and stepped away, eliciting only the same simple acknowledgment as the other families. He could see that his mother was worried, discreetly looking around for him. He felt torn, knowing that it would be correct for him to join his family and pay respects, but feeling deep within himself that he shouldn’t go.

As he watched from a distance the guru-chi suddenly looked in his direction.

Nilya instantly hid behind the corner of the building, no longer daring to peek back around the corner. His heart was pounding in his chest as he took off, heading back towards the outskirts of the village where his home was.

He slipped into his home, his eyes taking a moment to adjust to the darkness.

The soft sound of breathing came from the corner of the room where his sister was bundled under the covers. He was almost surprised to see her, but it made sense. She wasn’t even able to sit up at the moment, much less leave the hut.

Nilya sat by his sister, looking at her pale, thin face. Her skin was covered in red bumps, though some of the bumps were turning black. Her breathing was faint and weak.

It bothered Nilya to see his older sister in such a weak state. She was the one who looked out for him, not the other way around. He reached over to hold her hand. Though she was sweating from fever, her fingers were as cold as ice.

A noise at the door caused him to jump up. He thought of running, briefly, though there was nowhere to hide in the small hut.

Panic at getting in trouble jolted through him as his mother and uncle walked into the door. However that panic was short lived as a third figure darkened the doorway.

The guru-chi’s bright red eyes gazed at him as the holy man entered the room.

“A boy?” His voice was light in pitch, calm with a touch of curiousity.

“Excuse me, your reverence.” Nilya’s mother’s eyes flickered between her two children, “As I said, my daughter is ill with the keeper’s gaze, and so my son Nilya had to stay to take care of her.”

The guru-chi nodded, waving his hand to usher Nilya to the side, “Let me see the girl.”

Nilya trembled as he suddenly felt like he absolutely should not let the man approach his sister. He stood in place, facing the dark-clothed man.

“Nilya-ka my dear, please move aside.” His mother said gently, a worried smile flickering on her lips.

“Nilya, it’s okay.” His uncle said, his voice terse. He gestured stiffly to his side. “Come to me.”

The holy man loomed over Nilya, and the boy’s nerves nearly got the better of him. His uncle was strong and could protect him. His mother would keep him safe. However something kept him rooted at his sister’s side.

“No!” He proclaimed, “Stay away from Anya!”

Katlina let out a concerned squeal as she quickly ran up to Nilya and gently took him by his arms, “Please forgive my son, he is terribly protective of his sister. He means no disrespect.”

Nilya stared up at the guru-chi, looking the man in the eyes. The red eyes bore into him, and he felt like he was being judged on a deeper level.

The words his uncle had spoken echoed in his mind. You know why they hide their faces? Because they are monsters underneath.

The guru-chi’s voice remained calm as it took on a firmer tone. “Move, child.”

Nilya almost lost composure as a terror built up in him once more. However just as he was about to move out of the way he heard a voice.

The soft, feminine voice came from nowhere and everywhere at once. The gentle words were ethereal, so quiet that he wasn’t sure whether he heard or imagined them: “If you move, your sister will die.”

His hands clenched at his side as he swallowed his fear and proclaimed again, “I’m not moving!”

His voice was so clear and strong that it caused his mother to stop tugging at his arm. All eyes turned to the guru-chi, awaiting his response with great trepidation.

The guru-chi looked down at Nilya without any emotion. Nilya barely dared to breathe as he stared straight back, though he was trembling so hard that his teeth were rattling.

After a full minute the guru-chi nodded,

“Very well.” He said, “I shall leave.”

He tapped his cane on the floor and turned around, leaving without further delay. The door swung shut behind him, rattling as it bounced against the loose frame.

“N-Nilya-ka, what have you done? You’ve insulted the guru-chi!” His mother gasped softly.

“I’ll-“ Uncle Sammo stammered, “I’ll go speak to the guru-chi. Perhaps he’ll forgive us, somehow.”

“Wait-“ Nilya’s mother ran to a small chest hidden under a pile of cloth and pulled out a meagre number of coins. She ran back to Sammo and spilled them onto his hands - their life savings. “Take this.”

Sammo nodded, clutching the coins before running out of the door.

“Nilya, my sweet, my dear child.” His mother knelt in front of him and held his arms firmly, “Why did you do this?”

“I was protecting Anya.” Nilya replied.

“No, Nilya-ka, the guru-chi came to help her, to cure her.” His mother said, “You know Anya is so weak. And we cannot afford medicine. The guru-chi heard she was suffering from the keeper’s gaze and offered to help.”

“Nilya, speak to me. Why did you do this?” His mother’s tone was so pained and worried that he couldn’t help but feel guilty.

She told me to.” Nilya said after a moment. “She said if I moved, then Anya would die.”

“She? Who is she?” His mother’s brows knit together as she looked around in confusion at the empty room.

Nilya frowned as he tried to explain himself. A vague image came to his mind, fleeting and dreamlike.

“The lady with long white hair.”

9