Chapter 337 – The White Maiden’s Gift
66 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 337 - The White Maiden’s Gift

The White Maiden’s shrine was located underground in a separate location of the mausoleum than the area where the Clockwork God had held his ritual. As such, the walk to the shrine was down peaceful hallways that had not seen any of the battle or conflict.

Yuzu could feel the shrine even before it came into sight. Just like with the shrine on the forest plateau, she had shared spiritual connection with the shrine. A tingling sensation filled her, and she felt that she was stronger in its presence.

Char Char knew the way and lead the group of five to it confidently. Before long they were standing in the doorway to the small chamber that held the shrine.

Char Char reached out to the candle on the wall just inside the shrine and lit it with her spirituality, just as she had done so before. 

Accessing the shrine with her spirit, Yuzu lit the candles around the chamber. To the group it appeared that they had all lit spontaneously into white flames.

The white light illuminated the small stone shrine in the center of the room.

Yuzu stepped forward decisively, walking up to the shrine and kneeled down in front of it as if she were praying. 

She bowed low, until her head nearly touched the floor, before finally standing.

To the others it looked as though she were a devout follower offering her prayers to her Goddess. They stood at the door without interrupting her, waiting for a sign that it was appropriate for them to enter.

In actual fact, Yuzu’s actions were done for a specific reason. This was, to retrieve the lodestone that Li Ru had left behind. Due to the dim candlelight and Yuzu blocking direct line of sight to the shrine as she walked up, no one else had seen it.

Yuzu discreetly slipped the small, translucent orb into her shoulder bag. Now she held two lodestones— the one that she had taken with her from Fuha, and this one.

She then clasped her hands together and bowed her head as if in prayer, taking a moment to connect with the shrine now that she was seeing it in person.

As expected, I can’t enter the white world from here. Yuzu thought to herself with a frown after testing her connection. Nothing’s changed from before, I’m still an Apprentice so I still need the chest.

“You may approach.” Yuzu turned and bowed to them, taking on the role of a shrine maiden.

One by one, each of the four entered, bowing as they came before the shrine. A reverent atmosphere fell upon the group as they stood before the small stone shrine.

“Do we need to give offerings?” Firuzeh broke the silence after some hesitation.

“I am here today, there is no need.” Yuzu said, offering a simple explanation before saying, “The White Maiden is listening.”

Cough. 

Everyone’s eyes turned to Char Char who suddenly choked out of nowhere. The girl turned her face away, apologizing as if embarrassed.

Yuzu heard Char Char’s voice coming through the shrine in her prayer. “The White Maiden is you! Of course she’s listening!”

She looked as if she were holding back a cough, but in truth she was stopping herself from giggling.

“This isn’t something to laugh about!” Yuzu reprimanded her through the shrine. “Be serious here.”

“Oh, White Maiden, I am sorry for offending you!” Char Char snickered in prayer, “I really can’t believe it! You’re actually the White Maiden.”

“If you don’t calm down people will be suspicious! Don’t make me smite you!” Yuzu threatened.

“I’m calm, I’m calm.” Char Char’s shoulders stopped trembling as she inhaled deeply to regain her composure, “It’s just funny how different you are when you’re Yuzu and when you’re the White Maiden.”

“Obviously. It has to be that way.” Yuzu sighed, “I’m busy with the others’ prayers. Just be quiet for now and let me concentrate.”

“Got it.” Char Char nodded, “Wait.”

“What?”

“Can you actually smite me?”

Yuzu rolled her eyes, not bothering to answer the question.

Yuzu turned her attention to Firuzeh first. The Saboteur had been silent since the moment Yuzu had shown up, and though she kept her emotions hidden behind a blank expression there was a clear anxiety and worry in her eyes.

Her silent prayers to the White Maiden were earnest.

“White Maiden, I thank you for your kindness and for your protection today. Were it not for you, I would have died a miserable death. I am in your debt. If there is anything you would have my do, I am your willing servant.”

Interestingly enough, Fate Cycling did not work in this case. Yuzu was unable to hear the prayers by looking at the future in the threads, she only saw Firuzeh kneeling and praying. However, through the shrine, Yuzu was able to hear the prayers clearly.

“White Maiden… In months past I prayed to you at your shrine outside of Noga City. I prayed on behalf of Rados, for your assistance in matters that were important to Him.

“Perhaps I do not need to explain this to You… Rados was not simply my ‘boss’ in the company, but He was an angel, and part of His body has lived inside me since I was young. He guided me, helping me become stronger, helping me advance in the Exalted world. But also, he controlled me. Under Rados, for my whole life, I’ve been a slave.

“White Maiden… Perhaps you already know this…” Here, Firuzeh started trembling, “I wondered if I’d ever escape my prison. Rados couldn’t read my thoughts, but he saw everything I did, heard everything I said. He knew me so well, he could understand my thoughts even if I hesitated at the wrong time. Many times I gave up hope.

“A few weeks ago, I was able to find a moment where Rados couldn’t watch me closely. In that moment I asked Char Char to help me. In truth, I didn’t know if she understood or not, I could only hope.

“But during the ritual, Rados— The part of Rados inside me was forced out. His presence is no longer with me. He must be gone, I see no other explanation.

“If that is true, then White Maiden you have saved me in more than one way, and there are only two things on my mind.

“First… I am terribly afraid that his main body will try to find me and take control of me once more. I cannot go back to the security company. I will not go back to that life, no matter what…

“Second… If that is true… Then in gratitude I pledge my life to You. If you will take me, I pledge to be your loyal follower.”

Firuzeh’s body trembled with increasing intensity as she delivered this heartfelt prayer. She had to keep her tongue between her teeth to keep them from chattering.

She didn’t know if the White Maiden was listening. She was, after all, a nobody who had tagged along beside Char Char. Yuzu had invited Char Char and Finn to pray, but she hadn’t even spoken a word to Firuzeh. Doubt ran through Firuzeh’s mind.

If Rados was with her, he would have used his spirituality to calm her nerves. He would have berated her for showing weakness. An Exalted that showed weakness was one that could be taken advantage of. Firuzeh’s calm and cool demeanour was a direct result of his influence. Without Rados constantly commanding Firuzeh and forcing her to be strong and confident, Firuzeh felt her thoughts and emotions go haywire. She felt exposed in a way that she had never felt before.

It was terrifying.

As her thoughts continued to tumble around in her mind, she felt a gentle presence descend around her. Illusory strands of white hair flowed softly in the periphery of her vision.

“You need not show devotion to me. You are free.” Yuzu replied.

She paused, taking in the prayer.

In fact, Yuzu had not known any of the information that Firuzeh shared with her. She didn’t even really understand what had happened when Rados had been expelled from Firuzeh’s body by the head cultist. Yuzu had just used the opportunity to save Firuzeh, knowing Firuzeh from before. 

The dark truth of Firuzeh’s past was a heavy burden of knowledge to carry. In truth, Yuzu didn’t want to hear it, but it was her fault for inviting Firuzeh to pray.

Yuzu had helped Firuzeh without any expectation of compensation, and so she didn’t take credit for what Firuzeh thanked her for. Likewise, she didn’t feel good asking for anything in return. If Firuzeh had benefited positively from Yuzu’s help, then that was good enough. As for taking Firuzeh in as a follower, Yuzu had no interest in it either. After all, she wasn’t actually a Goddess, and she currently had no use for prayers. Therefore, her response to Firuzeh was ‘you are free’.

Hearing the White Maiden’s response, Firuzeh was overcome with a sense of reverence. 

Truthfully, while pledging her allegiance to the White Maiden, Firuzeh wondered if she was simply ‘changing owners’. Perhaps the White Maiden had only gotten rid of Rados to have Firuzeh for Herself. Firuzeh couldn’t complain even if that were the case, but now the White Maiden had spoken.

Firuzeh had lived so long under the influence of Rados that she felt she couldn’t even understand what those words meant, but she felt that there was incredible power and meaning behind them.

You are free.

4