Chapter 6: Brandon Volts and The Church (1)
6 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

This was an emergency! 

Arthur was using his brain for once! 

Emergency! Alex couldn't let him find out more! 

NEVER!!!

Ahem...

Arthur's very reasonable inquiry put his friend into panic mode. Alex drew a Dark Rune and brought his secret weapon out of the 'Personal Space'. It was a round white jade-like desert he had been saving...!

His hand swiftly threw the sweet that was personally made himself into the brawny youth's mouth, then watched as an explosion erupted out of his eyes. The desert melted around Arthur's tongue delectably.

This could be used too? How amazing. Alex had practically 'tamed' his friend like an animal at this point. Did he have dog blood? No, that was too mean of me to say. Still, what a show from this meathead.

Come on... Show me more interesting stuff!

(✪‿✪)ノ

Obviously, Arthur couldn't stop himself from covering the sweet with saliva. He'd instantly melted it with the eyes of a starved beast. You could almost say the 'taste explosion' blew away his thoughts.

If this was a story about cooking, then there would be multiple paragraphs about the sweet and harmonious taste of the desert. It would go on for about 1000 words at least! Missing none of the big words like 'heavenly' and 'divine' in its description.

"You should get married!" The drool was still on Arthur's face... and people around them heard his words clearly. Time stopped for a moment, but the anger written on Alex's expression scared them off.

This wasn't a 'Yaoi' romance...

"Bro... I get what you're trying to say, but stop shouting things so dubiously." Alex was glad his friend's memory had reset after being blown away by the taste of good food. He hadn't put all his efforts into life skills for nothing! Though it was still...

His feeling of disgust lingered, and so did mine.

('艸`*)

The young lad really wanted to puke.

Damn, all this 'love' he was getting from the dude. 

All this darn attention...

He didn't swing that way!

Arthur blankly asked after taking a breath:

"What were we doing again?"

"How far did I reset his memory?" Alex thought. It was this possibility that made cold sweat trickle down his back. He swiftly realised his home cooking was dangerous in its own way. Does it go as far as erasing memories... or is that just Arthur's idiocy?

"...Crazies." Alex said one word.

"Oh yeah!" Arthur slammed his fist onto his hand with a bang. It caused a quake in the air from its sheer might. One could notice lack of fatigue. He then continued with: "Let's go beat them up!"

"We're not doing that." Alex tiredly stopped him.

"Why not?" Arthur didn't understand his thoughts. 

"Why the hell would we?! I have no interest in fighting when the odds are stacked against us." Alex felt like kicking someone from the stress he felt. He was sighing while holding his aching head in pain.

"Come on~ I promise it'll be fun!" Arthur yelled.

"I never considered our last adventure fun! Unless you consider nearly dying a bunch of times 'fun'." A dangerous glean appeared in his eyes. Ready to smack up his friend if the guy talked nonsense.

"Haha, hahaha." Arthur just scratched his head a bit.

"..." Alex watched as the empty laughter grew.

"Hahaha, hahahahaha."

"Don't think you can cover this up by repeating frickin' 'Ha' a bunch of times!" Alex couldn't stand Arthur's monotonous laughter and slapped him on the back... which hurt his own hand like hell! 

He gritted his teeth and glared before asking:

"The heck is wrong with your body? Does it have to do with that 'God Physique' stat?" Alex inquired about it with narrowed eyes... only to be greeted by more monotonous laughter and a stupid expression that seemed to think he's a wondrous topic changer.

Alex's angered face looked like this: (╬ಠ益ಠ)

There was a vein popping on his forehead

Imagining boxing this meathead up like a sandbag.

It was a good thing he was patient...

In his own personal opinion, at least.

Triggered, Alex was just about beat this idiot for making him look like dumbass, but he was able to stop himself... looking over Arthur's demeanour in retrospect to figure out that something must've happened that the youth didn't want him to know.

"...Forget it." The vein on Alex's forehead was gone. 

He decided to be less emotional.

Only a complete meathead like Arthur could trigger this normally rational and young scholar of magic without getting beaten down by him. Don't look down on probably the only real 'Rune User' on Gaia! 

"Hey, I remember seeing 'that guy'." Arthur, the burly young man, properly tried diverting the topic this time. It was hard to say if he was being purposefully vague to provoke a reaction or not.

"What guy?" Alex went along with it.

"Forgot his name again." Arthur squinted a little.

"Describe him." Alex went step-by-step to discovery.

"That clean-freak 'Grand Hero'- Urgh... Teach'!"

"...You mean our teacher, right?" There was only one person called the grandest of heroes in any generation existing on Gaia. At least, that's what the church was preaching and telling everyone about.

He was the mentor figure that 'survived' their last adventure and one of the five heroes that the cultist was talking about. You could say that he was pretty beloved... as the 'Head Knight' leading 'The Order' formed with holy knights at their core.

"You want to meet him, right?" Arthur knew what his friend really wanted all this time. From the two of them, Alex was the one who had a deeper relationship with the person who taught them. 

"Meet him...? Of course I want to meet him."

"I knew you would~" Arthur gave him a knowing smile before snickering to himself, then he spoke deliberately. His tone was so unpleasant that it could make anyone think he was scheming something:

"Shall we give him a good 'greeting'?" Arthur sighed.

"Rainglow style or Stuman style?" Alex wanted to make sure they were on the same page here. They were going to do this together, so it would be better to make sure they shared the responsibility too.

"Is there a difference?" Arthur scratched his head after knowing they were on the same wavelength about this. There was no need for words. They both wanted to at least hit that uptight guy at least once.

The young man shook his head and laughed:

"Let's go~!" Alex, the renowned scholar of magical arts, followed him to where their mentor had spent his time. At one of the Luminous Church branches was a man with tanned skin. He was ignorant about these two little troublemakers that were heading his way. If he knew about his 'students' arrival, he might have just booted it out of there without a word.

Unfortunately, the man was busy with the tasks the church had given him after he came here. There was a larger number of 'Defiers' appearing here and there; severely disrupting public order.

Normally, the society of Gaia could be considered a utopia of sorts... despite the discrimination against beasts being a fixed public belief. For hundreds of years society had been stuck in stagnation, but that was only because it was as perfect as it can be.

"May the Lord bless your fate." Were the standard prayer of the Luminous Church after they handled another believer. The ramifications of the crown prince's open support of the Mirror Religion had lasting consequences on the faith of humanity.

In a 'Healing Sanctuary', which worked just like a hospital on Earth (except there were no fees, everything from medicines, treatments, and check-ups were free). Only Earthlings would be able to see the similarities and why this world was great~

It was only a pity that the residents of Gaia thought otherwise as the emergence of a new state religion was shaking their beliefs. A large number of people of Lancia had been converted into new Cultists...

'This cannot go on...' It was time for the grand hero, Brandon Volts, to make a stance, and show get back those people who have been 'infected' by the beliefs of the Mirror Religion. The man looked out the window of the Sanctuary with serious eyes.

"What are the current circumstances?" 

"Most have been moved by the prospect of gaining a Spell Slot. It seems greed has won over the hearts of citizens more than decency." The supportive bishop of this cathedral-like sanctuary spoke restlessly.

"They haven't all been converted to Inner Believers of the Mirror Religion yet. As long as we can regain their trust, they should come back." Though the white-suited Grand Hero said this, he seemed to be thinking of something deeply as he spoke.

"Is something the matter?"

"Something is off about this." His instinct was right.

"That should be a given..."

"No, we already are aware that some kind of permanent mental erosion was used covert Outer Believers into Inner Believers. There was always something off about this strange terminology.

The fact that they put heavy distinction between these two was already enough of a hint to their attitude towards their members. Most suspicious wasn't this part, but something else entirely." 

"Which is?" The bishop's question made him turn to face the formal-looking old man and inquire:

"How is a society that had believed in eradication of Beasts being the for hundreds of years suddenly being swayed by them?" This was a rhetorical question as the obvious answer shocked the man.

"Surely..." Such a thing is impossible.

That's what he wanted to say to the grand hero respected by both the churc and the masses, a symbol of peace. However, the more he thought about it, and the more he remembered sways in public opinion, the more the answer became clear.

"They've been utilising 'Art' from the beginning." It was an absurd conclusion, but Brandon admitted it.

Commoners were born as mages, farmers, fighters, warriors, and much MUCH more. However, no one other than Royalty was born with a knack to sway public opinion. Classes gave people futures, but they also limited a person's perspective on life.

Only those with sufficient position or status were able to build up mindsets that allowed them to make full use of their imagination and creativity. It was an effect Brandon had heard from the current Imperial Ruler before that great man was sick...

The more 'professional' one became, the more their mindset would be stunted by that Class they have put at the centre of their livelihood and existence. It was a reason why natural-born leaders never appeared, and had to be artificially made.

Noble Rankers were these artificially birthed 'Leaders' who were taught how to affect the mindset of the masses once accepted into the social hierarchy of humanity's biggest Empire.

There was a chance that a certified Noble Ranker had betrayed the Human Empire and entered the ranks of the Cult. However, this chance was slim to none. The mere idea was complete outrageous.

Even if they did, Noble Rankers were only taught how to manipulate the populace in the areas they were in charge of, and not on this massive scale. It wouldn't make sense unless Royalty was involved...

Although this also counted as a possibility, the chance of Royalty from the other kingdoms betraying the Ruling Kingdom they serve was impossible as well. There was a reason no civil wars had occurred over the throne in history.

Royalty were a rational bunch, they would always put the people above their ambitions. There has never been a precedence on Gaia where Royalty of their great Human Empire would betray the people.

That only left one answer, the 'Demon Lord' these people worshipped had the qualities of a Imperial Ruler. An impossible notion unless Gaia had imparted this person a Class related to rulership...

'Unless...' He thought of the new hidden weapon of the Luminous Church that had been acquired fifteen years ago. The possibility was low... but there was a chance this man was of the King Class.

If so, then he'd probably have to kill them...

Someone dangerous enough to know his move public opinion by using the art-related Classes works to leave an impression wasn't allowed to live... The longer they did, the bigger the crisis to the The Order and the Church will become.

"Where is this 'Demon Lord'?" Brandon spoke with bloodthirsty eyes. He felt like killing someone.

The Bishop shivered after feeling the rising killing intent of this Lord Rank individual. 

Some thought that the Imperial Ruler was the strongest man on Gaia, but those fools were ignorant of the role of a 'Grand Hero'. The most dangerous and burdensome Class of all time.

Though the Imperial Ruler was tasked with ruling over humanity by Gaia herself, the position of Grand Hero was a different profession. It was created to be her personal problem solver.

Like a computer's antivirus program...

Rather than ruling humanity, a Grand Hero's job was to 'protect humanity'. Therefore, it was only natural that Gaia bestowed the strongest of Blessings to this person so he fulfil his role.

A electric-like flame of Mana covered him similarly to Arthur had done previously, but the sheer amount of energy he was able to release made it so even the common people around them could perceive it. He gave off the feeling of invincibility.

Lord Ranks all had a infinite mana supply, but only the Grand Hero could output it to the point that he didn't even need to use 'Skills'. Just throwing around his mana was enough to kill enemies.

After realising that he lost his composure for a moment, Brandon took a deep breath before pulling back all his energy into his body. He knew for a fact about how dangerous his abilities were...

"Please stay calm and patient. There is a high chance the reason this 'Demon Lord' won't show himself personally is because he fears your mighty personal power." These words made him frown, but the Grand Hero could only nod in understanding...

He had never once lost a battle in his life, so it was only natural that he believed the Bishop's thoughts.

"I'll guess I will have to leave getting back the Outer Believers to you. Can you do it?"

"I've already thought of a good plan." The old man spoke proudly before whispering in his ear.

"Hmmm..." The first half of plan that was suggested was that he should publicise his deeds as a member of The Order. It was to show just how the symbol of peace keeps the world a safe place.

"Do you understand the most crucial points?"

"I get what you mean, but this is a little... You know we've never publicised this to keep people from feeling anxious." Brandon felt it was absurd to tell the rest of humanity the purpose of the Church.

 "The times are changing. We can no longer rely on the methods we normally used in the past.  The only thing we can do is open their eyes on the true nature of the Mirror 'Religion'. It was better to show why we have never faded into obscurity over these years. WE'RE the ones supported by Gaia... There is a huge reason why Heroes are fixed existences. just like Imperial rulers and kings." The bishop made a determined expression after speaking those words. 

His heart revered Brandon.

The clean freak shook his head and decided not to say anything to dampen the old man's mood. The information about the 'Defiers' were top secret information, but now they were telling everyone?

He felt an ominous feeling... 

What was this normally stagnant world coming to? What form would society take after they've finally started to see changes? He only hoped that the society that he'll see in future would be nice to see.

If chaos was to unfold, he will fulfil his role. For he is the Grand Hero, the empire's symbol of peace!

That was the natural response of a Gaia Human...

0