0006 – Lost Soul’s Contract
1.2k 5 90
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

She ended up guarding the door, preventing the monster from going out. As time passed, the monster's attacks became more and more fierce. However, no matter how fierce it was, as long as Athena Ravencroft handed the candle of light forward, the creature would tremble in fear again.

"Do you know what kind of people have morning grumpiness? Or, people you know... um, I mean, do monsters have morning grumpiness?"

"Unfortunately, you now know someone who has morning grumpiness, or rather, someone very serious about it."

Athena glanced at her watch, yawned a few times in a row, but her expression showed no sign of wanting to sleep.

"Alright, why are you coming in here to disturb my peaceful sleep?"

She had been talking all night, but this guy in front of her hadn't said a single word after attacking and being forced to retreat.

Thinking about how she had been rambling for hours like this, she was really annoyed.

"Are you mute? Weren't you quite talkative before? Why aren't you saying anything now?"

She impatiently thrust the candle forward once again.

The daylight is about to come, congratulations to the players for surviving the darkness!

05:48

With just over ten minutes left until 6 o'clock, Athena began to sit up straight.

One wouldn't believe how curious she was - what would this monster look like during the day?

Monsters born in darkness, would they directly vanish upon encountering daylight? Athena began to carefully examine the lost soul in front of her.

Under her scrutiny, the figure gradually stiffened, and just when Athena thought he was about to launch a final struggle, he slowly raised his axe. Who would've thought this guy would suddenly change his fierce demeanor?

He pouted and started crying.

Crying?

The axe stopped mid-air, unsure of how to proceed, not understanding this new behavior?

But the lost soul, originally a towering figure of two meters, began to shrink gradually to around 10 centimeters. The whole creature cried with a childish voice that seemed to tear one's heart apart, as if it wanted to flip the roof with its cries.

It became ugly and cute, but Athena only found his crying annoying.

What's going on, this guy can still transform?

She casually grabbed a handful of weeds, preparing to stuff them into his mouth. It wouldn't be good if it attracted some other chaotic things.

"I'm telling you, I'm not buying it. If you want me to let you go, you have to give me something good."

Looking at the heartless Athena, the lost soul took out a nail-sized contract.

[ Contract ]
Let me return to darkness, and every night I will bring you information from the darkness.
No harm allowed, applies to both parties !
Description Poor lost soul, bullied by a human.

Athena was speechless. She was just chatting casually, how did it escalate to this level?

After making sure the contract was fine, she readily decided to let go of this free labor. She stood up and pounded her numb legs, making way for the lost soul to return to the darkness.

The other party left without even looking back. Although the system hadn't announced the arrival of daylight yet, it was still daytime outside.

So these guys were afraid not of sunlight, but the system's announcement of daylight...

Since darkness has life, does daylight also have life?

Athena quickly stopped the further contemplation.

"You crappy monster! After chatting for so long, I thought we were friends. I didn't expect you to just leave without a word!"

"What a pity, didn't get to see what you look like in the sunlight... How about catching another one later?"

Daylight has arrived, please begin exploring the world!
Instance rewards will be released at two o'clock.

Even though it was a bit late today, Athena still did a set of radio exercises. Ignoring the system again, she went to work first.

Don't bother her, she has her own rhythm! With the axe on her shoulder, she headed out.

Clang-clang...

Clang-clang, thud-thud, thud-thud...

"Dismantle."

During the break, Athena casually tucked her hair behind her ears. She took out a piece of charcoal-grilled bear meat and wolfed it down hungrily. This stuff was impossible to savor.

Thinking that she had touched the stove this morning and the clay was almost dry, she could make a delicious meal when she returned at noon.

With motivation, the process of chopping trees became less tedious. As another tree fell, the notification finally sounded.

Wood Blocks 50/50
Special Weeds 165/50
Upgrade to shelter conditions met, Please proceed to the shelter for upgrade!

"Alright, break time!"

Athena found the grassy spot that she had made into her own little pit over the past few days. She lay down in the same position and started scrolling through the chat interface.

The most conspicuous thing was the remaining number of survivors.

7653/10000

On their first night, over 200 people died. The next day, the deaths were sporadic and didn't exceed 100, but at the moment the third day arrived...

Almost 2000 deaths!

A monster that only confused people's minds had successfully torn open a bloody wound in the hearts of this group, who were on the verge of collapse. It made them abandon the light and flee into darkness.

-- So many people died yesterday!
-- I'm lucky I was too scared to move yesterday. If I had really rushed out, today's death toll would've included me!
-- Isn't this a tower defense game? How come there are so many weird things! Are they not letting us live?
-- Yeah, the real game hasn't even started yet...
-- Monsters can actually run into the shelter, is it because the level is too low?
-- I knew this crappy thatched hut was useless!
-- No, we have to upgrade this thing quickly.
-- More people will die when the cold wave comes, everyone, stock up on supplies.
-- This is a question for the pros! Pros, how do you gather materials? Those trees are so hard to chop, do you have any methods?
-- Pros, please take me along!

Athena recognized the person called "Ask-to-the-Heavens." She heard that he had successfully upgraded the shelter on the second day. Without bothering to read the messages of these bootlickers, she scrolled down further.

After confirming that there was nothing useful, she patted off the weeds on her body and returned to her little shabby thatched hut. Lifting her hand, she gently touched the wooden door.

Current Shelter 1
This is just a dilapidated thatched hut, please upgrade as soon as possible.
Wood Blocks 50/50
Special Weeds 165/50
Upgrade
Yes / No ?

"Upgrade."

A burst of white light enveloped the entire house, gradually expanding. When it reappeared, a quaint and exquisite wooden house replaced the old thatched hut.

Moreover, a circle of protective fence was added, enclosing a small courtyard.

90