Volume 0001-Transmigration, Chapter – 009 – How Things Work – Wonderful Tools
443 1 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Spacey answers: “Yes there are trees that can grow faster, but all trees need time to grow, the minimum it takes is 6 years and they can life centuries. The OFT-Space provides seeds and tree seedlings based on its current level, which is currently just level 1.”

“The Nordic Spruce is available on this level through its function as you read from its details. With the Spring Water and Soil, the growth will be accelerated by 2 x 10 times and with the Fertilizer it can be accelerated with another x 15 times, these are now just level 1.”

 

Theodore looked at the tree and silently breathes a sigh of relief that nothing happened to the tree. Spacey reminds Theodore by saying: “TJ, 25 minutes left before the Active Visit hours activates. Reminding you, once it does activate the countdown, it can’t be stopped. Even if you leave the OFT-Space everything is put in motion.”

Theodore says: “Ahh… yes, I was too submerged in my thoughts. Let’s see how things work in this OFT-Space and if enough time I’ll try planting a few fields.” He waits no longer and walks towards the Origin Station and pressed on the monitor the Overview button and then ‘How to manage the OFT-Space’.

 

A beam of light was shot in his head with all information on farming, equipment usage, material gathering, constructing structures, changing the landscape, how to improve the environment of OFT-Space, and all different workings of the Space itself.

Theodore was all pumped up as he’s now informed how things work in farming and starts walking to the shed and says: “Let’s get started!” He arrived and touched the doorknob of the Shed, which give details in through his Eyeglasses:

Structure, Shed 2x1 (upgradable): Closed Storage Space; Function: Stores daily use of equipment worker's needs for working the fields, constructing structures, or landscape.
Currently Stored:
3x: Work Eyeglasses; Outfits 4x: Work Hat, Work Jacket, Work Overall, Work Boots, Work Gloves, Work Belt; Tools 2x: Plow, Shovel, Pitchfork, Planting-stick, Root Cutter, Fishing-net, Axe, Saw, Hammer, Chisel, Tape measure 3 meters (depicted in per centimeter, total 300 cm), Rope 100 meter; Container 2x: Storage Watering Can, Storage Seed Pouch, Storage Fodder Pouch, Storage Harvest Basket, Storage Fish Bucket, Storage Animal Cage, Storage Construction Materials, Storage All-In Backpack wearable, Basket, Bucket; Farm Agent 1x: Bottle pesticide (level 1), Bottle herbicide (level 1), Plague wand (level 1), Sack of fertilizer (level 1).
Others:  Automatically cleaning of equipment, tools, and farm agents after stored.

Theodore brushed off the details and walk right in the Shed, he saw the extra Eyeglasses and touches one of them, he received details of the glasses:

Accessories, Work Eyeglasses (upgradable): Autofit in size to the wearer, Basic Sound notification in arms, Zoom-in and out in coordination with Eye movement, Unbreakable; Function: Can give wearer on sight live information on the condition of various situations in the OFT-Space. Can superficially analyze objects in contact with the wearer, if the information is available in the Spatial Server, known knowledge of the object will be sent back in details to the wearer or as unknown (type of) object detected; Others: Work Eyeglasses can be taken outside OFT-Space.

Theodore exclaimed and says: “I can take all this equipment outside? Will they work the same as here in OFT-Space, Spacey?”

Spacey answers: “Yes, these equipment are basically artifacts which keep the abilities outside, provided if they are kept in a container or the user recharge them with a little of his or her own energy to it. TJ, I have to remind you that you’ll need to be absolutely sure that this outside world civilization is familiar with this equipment, if they aren’t it might attract undesired attention.”

Theodore says: “Yes, let’s not go ahead of ourselves, I am getting cold, let me wear something.” He walks to the outfit section and started to undress and picked up, which gave again details from his glasses:

Outfit, Work Overall:  Autofit in size to the wearer, Prevents wearer from sustaining minor injuries; Function: Provide wearer’s body with little supplements to able to work longer; Others: Work Overall can be taken outside OFT-Space.
Outfit, Work Boots:  Autofit in size to the wearer, Prevents wearer from sustaining minor injuries; Function: Provide wearer’s feet with comfort to able to work longer; Others: Work Boots can be taken outside OFT-Space.
Outfit, Work Gloves:  Autofit in size to the wearer, Prevents wearer from sustaining minor injuries; Function: Provide wearer’s hands with the strength to able to work longer; Others: Work Gloves can be taken outside OFT-Space.
Outfit, Work Belt:  Autofit in size to the wearer; Function: Able to attach small tools and containers on it for easy use; Others: Work Belt can be taken outside OFT-Space.

Theodore wears the overall and put on boots, belt and hung the gloves on the belt, next he picks up the backpack and read the details:

Container, Storage All-In Backpack wearable: Autofit in size to the wearer, Storage size 10-meter length x 10-meter width x 10-meter height; Function: Stores objects wearer would like to bring, Objects stored will remain in the exact same condition when taken in; Usage: Take out, open bag by cords (keep holding), concentrate the mind on the bag, view what is inside and think what you want to take out.  Take in, open bag by cords (keep holding), touch object you would like to store (for Host), think you want to store the object and the object will be taken in; Others: Storage All-In Backpack can be taken out of OFT-Space. The object can be bound to the wearer when a drop of blood is dripped on the Backpack.

Theodore jubilant and says: “This is the same as those space rings mentioned in those novels? Spacey, I have a wicked idea! Let’s make normal backpacks that look like these and then we sell them to the people. I am sure a lot of people will be interested in these kinds of backpacks and then we will be able to carry our own.”

Spacey answers: “That’s a possibility, though you’ll need to find the materials outside because we have no fabric at the moment. Time is ticking away to get the first square filled with crops.”

Theodore says: “Ohh right, let’s hurry up.” He walks to the tools, picked them up, and put them in the backpack while ignoring the details that swiftly past through the Eyeglasses:

Tools, Plow: Autofit in size to the user, Width span adjustment, Depth adjustment, Adjust to the strength of the user, Unbreakable; Function: Plow the land to make it ready for planting crops, Soil easily loosens; Others: Plow can be taken out of OFT-Space.
Tools, Shovel: Autofit in size to the user, Width span adjustment, Adjust to the strength of the user, Unbreakable; Function: Dig or bury a hole in the ground, soil easily loosens when tilting the land; Others: Shovel can be taken out of OFT-Space.
Tools, Planting Stick: Autofit in size to the user, Depth/Apart/Row adjustment, Adjust to the strength of the user, Unbreakable; Function: Make holes in the ground for preparing to plant seeds, when a sack of seeds and water container is present, it will detect it and connect with it. Making it easier while planting seeds; Others: Planting Stick can be taken out of OFT-Space.

Theodore swiftly looks around to see if there are any tools he needs right now and recalls from documentaries what he needed to do: tilt the land, plow the land in rows, prepare the ditch or holes for the seeds, plant the seeds, water the seeds and bury the holes. Thinking he had everything from the tools section, he walks towards the container section, picks up and hung them on his belt:

Container, Storage Seed Pouch: Autofit in size of the user, Storage connected to Seed Locker, Unbreakable; Function: Easy access to all seeds and young tree seedlings, to collect or to withdraw; Others: Storage Seed Pouch can be taken out of OFT-Space.
Container, Storage Watering Can: Autofit in size of the user, Storage connected to Water Well can be switched with any Water Tank, Adjustable Funnel for water release, Unbreakable; Function: Easy access to Space Spring Water, to collect or to withdraw; Others: Storage Watering Can, can be taken out of OFT-Space.

Lastly, Theodore picks up the fertilizer and put it in the backpack, it gave the following details:

Farm Agent, Sack of fertilizer, level 1: Enhance the growth of plants, Organic Fertilizer, Unlimited; Function: Sprinkle a handful of fertilizer on your plowed land, which promotes the growth of crop faster up to 15%; Others: Sack of fertilizer can be taken out of OFT-Space.

Once done, Theodore walks out of the Shed and walks towards the Water Well and says: “I am going to place my first squares of farmlands near the Water Well since I can’t build any structures near them.”

Spacey answers: “Yes, the Water Well is upgradeable later to Water Pump system, which allows water to be supplied to irrigation systems and within structures.”

 

Reaching the Water Well, Theodore kept one square free from the Water Well and picks the next square, takes out the shovel from his backpack, and put the head into the ground. A ‘jingle’ is heard from the arms of his Eyeglasses and a notification is seen saying:

Assign square to be used as workable soil, confirm with ‘Yes’ or ‘No’

Theodore thinks of ‘Yes’ and the square change from grass to the soil. With a ‘phew’ sound, Theodore starts tilting the square of farmland.

 

After 4 minutes pass, Theodore says: “Well, that’s easier than expected. Those tools are wonderful! Let’s add another square to get a good harvest at the first run.”

Spacey intervenes and says: “TJ you might want to look which crop you want to plant. I recommend planting the carrots seeds, compared to lettuce, you gain a larger harvest after every 3 months. (1) And if you have time left I would suggest planting the Apple Tree seedlings as it requires a lot of time to grow about 6 years, but once it’s matured and bear fruits you will enjoy up to 500 apples each year up to 25 years.”

Theodore exclaims and says: “Wah, 6 years of growth, let’s see 20% from the soil and water and 15% from the fertilizer, that’s 35% of acceleration which means about 4 years is needed to mature. As for the carrots as you said 3 weeks regular and with that stuff it’s mature in about 2 months. Well, I follow your suggestion.”

 

Theodore picks up the Storage Seed Pouch and selects a sack of carrot seeds, the sack appears in front of his feet. Putting the Seed Pouch back on his belt, he picks up the sack of carrot seeds. A notification went off on his glasses and showed the details: (2)

Bag, Sack of carrot seeds; Contains 480 carrot seeds, which can be planted on 1 square of farmland. Full maturity in 3 months
Planting details: Depth 1.3 cm, Apart 5.0 cm, Row 16.65 cm
Planting season: Early Spring up to Mid Autumn to be harvested till Early Winter
Watering details: Once in a week, in Summer once per 3 days
Harvesting details: Pull the whole plant out of the ground once matured
Storage details: Root will be cut off from the stem and leaves, roots will be stored in Harvest Locker, stem and leaves in the Feeder Locker
Usage: Root can be eaten raw or can be diced and cooked with any dishes, as well as pickled. Stem and leaves will be treated then added to livestock and fish fodder.
Earning details after selling harvest; 28.83 gold coins, 48.05 experience points

Theodore a little disappointed, but this happens with level 1 crop and asks: “Spacey, the leveling up of the crops is it just like the game, when you harvest 20 of the same crops it will gain a level?”

Spacey answers: “Nope, they will level up when you introduce crops from the outside world into OFT-Space. The Spatial Server will analyze the crops and if the characteristics are similar to carrots, it will improve all carrots seeds in OFT-Space. Those already planted and growing will unfortunately not get those improvements.”

Theodore says: “Rats, totally different from the game! Ahh… well, let’s continue with farming.” He laid down the sack of carrot seeds and stored the shovel away in his backpack, he selects the Plow.

Tool, Plow: Detecting sack of carrot seed. Do you want to adjust the depth at 1.3 cm and adjust row distance at 16.65 cm, [Yes] or [No]?

Theodore answers in his mind: "Yes!"

On the plow, it adjusted the depth and row width and Theodore started plowing until he had neatly 12 rows plowed on the square of farmland.

 

Next comes the fertilizer, Theodore put away the plow and takes out the sack of fertilizer. He put his hand on the funnel and the sack filled his hand with fertilizer, then he sprinkled the fertilizer onto the soil. He went on till the whole square was covered, then he puts away the sack of fertilizer and takes out the planting-stick.

 

While holding the planting-stick immediately sends a notification towards Theodore:

Tool, Planting-stick: Detecting sack of carrot seeds and storage water can, would you like to bind it with the planting-stick, [Yes] or [No]?

Theodore jumps in joy when he hears this and says: “Wonderful tools, YES!”

Planting-stick sends another notification:

Tool, Planting-stick: Adjusting Seed Depth 1.3 cm, Adjusting Seed Apart 5.0 cm, and Adjusting Row 16.65 cm. 480 Carrot Seeds to plant. After the stick is put into the ground it will plant the seed, moisten it and bury it when pulling the stick out.

Theodore up here could only say one word: “Amazing!” He walks on the square and started to plant the seeds in the first row by sticking the planting-stick in the ground, it gave a signal when depth was reached which was the cue to pull it out and the hole was moistened and buried. It signaled again when it reached the right distance where the next seed should be planted. He went through the first row in just 1.2 minutes for 40 seeds, 2 seconds per seed. He went through the other 11 rows and finished within 15 minutes and says: “Well, that was easy. These tools really make the difference, but I can’t imagine doing this on my own with 82 unassigned squares to go.”

 

Although easy to do, Theodore stops and says to Spacey: “I am going to tell the others, they will know about it soon enough and perhaps I will take them all here to see what this is. But Spacey, can you make separate files of the memories of both Rick and Theodore, showing Rick died and Theodore gained Rick memories through you. And how he has gotten his abilities, which by chance got transferred to Theodore. We can show that to the others and sell it like: “Those who drank a full drop of Holy potion are met with misfortune but will also receive a blessing,” kind of thing. What do you think?”

Spacey answers: “Yes TJ. I can make a separate file for both memories and alter them to what you just said. It would be easier for them to accept your change, than having a stranger in their son’s body. It won’t take too long as it only requires some cutting of some scenes. By the way, you’ll need to exit soon, don’t forget to press the last option in Overview to get Theodore missing memories.”

 

While conversing, Theodore picks up his sweater and walks back to the Shed to change his clothes. He put everything in the Backpack and all Eyeglasses, which he decided to take along to outside and perhaps to show the others he isn’t talking rubbish. Theodore was done with changing and walks out of the Shed and towards the Origin Station.

 

Theodore glances around the open space and says: “Well, just one square planted. I can already picture a booming paradise full of greens and plenty of livestock. Once houses are available, I would like to build one right away.” Spacey answers: “You would need one! The temperature, sun, rain, and snow might not affect a character in the game, but it will affect you in the long run. So shelter will be required, though perhaps not in mid-spring and early summer.”

 

Theodore says: “Before I forget, where can I withdraw the MaCs?” Spacey answers: “The money pouch is hanging next to the Monitor on the left side.” Theodore looks to where Spacey said and saw a pouch hanging there, he walks to it and touch the pouch and hears the familiar ‘jingle’ and read the notification:

Container, Storage Money Pouch: Autofit in size of the user, Storage connected to OFT Bank, Unbreakable.
Function: Easy access to available Gold Coins and Magical Crystals, to collect or to withdraw.
Others: Storage Money Pouch can be taken out of OFT-Space.

Theodore jumps from excitement and thought of the stuff he can buy with the gold. Spacey warns him by saying: “Be really cautious how you spend the gold coins and MaCs TJ. You’ll need it early on, since it will take time, before you can get the first harvest of your crops, to sell them you’ll require to buy a vegetable and fruit stand design and construct it with available materials. This all requires gold coins and MaCs.” Hitting his head, Theodore says: “Yeah, I understand. It’s the same as in the game. Just got overexcited again, need to chill.”

Theodore put the Money Pouch in his pocket and removes the Eyeglasses, which he stored in the Backpack. He thought: “It’s about time, let’s see what I missed from Theodore past suppressed memories.”

 

Theodore pushed the Overview function and then selects the option ‘Life Experience of Theodore James Wilde’. A beam of light shot towards his mind and Spacey ejects Theodore from OFT-Space and returns in his bed lying down unconscious. Spacey says in his mind: “Have a nice dream TJ.”

 

 

Author tries to explain:

  • 1) 20/04/21 While proof reading my own future chapters I noticed I made a whoopie on this one. Carrots take approximately 3 months to mature and not 3 weeks and earnings seems to a tad low for 480 carrots. Corrected it, as it might disturb the flow of future chapters. So sorry!
  • 2) Adjusted the carrot planting distance a little to fit a 4m2 space. All details of how to grow carrots can be found on the Internet and as said before, it really takes much research on all these crops to know when and how long they need to mature.
    As a city fellow these things aren't my forte and you might wonder why I am writing a novel of farming. Well BTFTLIAAW got me interested in it, but I understand why the author of that novel, skipped or magically solved it.
    Personally I like details, so it made me look it up and collected a lot of data before starting this novel. It really doesn't matter though, what matter the most is the readablity of the novel and how it's accepted or not by the readers.

 

11