Volume 0002-Revelation & Growth, Chapter – 018 – Pipes – Money issues
295 0 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Theodore shows them how to handle the tools and containers, which they all witnessed and compared what they had seen and read it was totally different. After watering the seeds it took him about 13 minutes the entire process, he says: “That went faster than the first square of farmland, but then again the seeds decreased from 480 to 276 due to increase of the size of the crops in level 2.” (1)

“Most crops need a certain distance from each other as the nutrition in the soil will be absorbed by each Long Orange Digging Root seed (carrot) and this will guarantee the quality of the harvest later.”

“Just let the tools signal the distance in planting for you and these 8 farmlands will be done within 1 hour by the 4 of you.”

 

While saying that Theodore changes his clothes again and puts the tools and outfit back in the Backpack. He hears Eric saying to Bruce: “Maybe we can use these tools on our field outside? It will make our work easier.” Bruce contemplated a while and says: “That won’t do Eric. It’s the same as the Backpack, how do we explain that we do farming in so short time to our neighbors. And not to speak about our harvest later, when our crops are bigger and tastier. It will attract unwanted attention. We need to separate the things we do here and out there.” Eric thought for a while and reluctantly nodded.

Theodore looks at them and says: “You might not be able to use the tools. But you can wear the outfits without the glasses, which help you preserve your stamina when doing your fields out there. Perhaps other stuff can be used that can’t be noticed, such as the water, herbicide, and pesticide.”

“As Uncle Bruce said, we need to have a clear divide between what we do in OFT-Space and out there so we won’t attract unwanted attention to us, at least in crowded areas. Though there aren’t many in this village we can be sure it’s under the surveillance of our Clan and maybe others. Let’s get to the Shed to get you all an outfit and equipment.” He walks off towards the Shed.

 

Theodore suddenly has thought and says: “Dad, Uncle Bruce, why aren’t there any seeds of shrubs that yield fruits or grain seeds in between your collection of bags of seeds?” Eric answers: “These seeds are mostly controlled by the nobles and are quite costly. Even if we managed to buy some of these seeds, we don’t have the facilities to process them, and merchants are reluctant to buy them even if our quality might be better than theirs.” Theodore mumbles in a whispering voice: “Damn benefits!”

Reaching the Shed, Theodore says: “Any of you who want to see the details can open the door.” Jade touches the doorknob and exclaimed what she saw, which made the others do the same. She exited says: “So many things are available!” Theodore says: “Yes, but we will need much more when we allow more people in. It will be just enough for us 7 to manage these 8,000 squares, although not all will be used for farming or buildings. We will need roads for us to be able to move around. Perhaps 20% of that tally will go to that.”

“Later these roads will also be used to connect pipes underground, which will carry water, energy, and our waste from buildings to buildings.”

Jade in doubt asks: “Why do we need pipes, underground son?” Theodore explains: “On Earth mostly everything what a facility or house needs went through such pipes, such as water, waste disposal, energy, gas and communication signals.”

“In most countries energy which they called electricity or communication went through cables attached to poles and that’s how all things were connected.”

“In this world, everything is manually done by servants or slaves. The wealthy use magical formation and other methods to provide their own comfort.” While saying this all they moved inside the Shed, they all went to the tools they haven’t seen before and viewed the details.

Theodore continues: “But imagine when we put these pipes underground and connect it with the Well, then these pipes will be placed and connected with houses and farmlands. When the Well upgrades to a Water Pump facility, it can provide water to our houses and also provide water to the farmlands which automatically wet our crops when needed, we won’t have to manage that ourselves anymore. They called this an irrigation system, which detects the moisture in the soil and will activate when it’s required to wet the crops again, a sort of watering system.”

“In our house water will flow, when turning on a switch in the kitchen or bathroom which you can use for showering, bathing, cleaning and off when you don’t need it. No more refills of reservoirs are needed and are afraid of running out of it.”

“The energy pipes will be connected in the future with a power supply station, that runs on what nature provides, clean energy such as powered by water, the sun, wind which can create static energy. This static energy will be converted to another form called electricity, which can provide energy to facilities here in OFT-Space and our own house connected with devices that can provide heating, lighting, cooking, communication, and much comfort as those wealthy people with formations. But 1000 times more cheaply because we don’t need a magical crystal to operate all these.”

“The waste pipe takes all the dirty, excess water and our own expelled waste to other facilities, to be processed and recycled as fertilizer or cooling devices that we can use during hot days.”

 

Spacey interrupted Theodore and says “You’re in that zone again TJ, snap out of it.” Theodore exclaimed and says: “Whoops, here I go again. Sorry, mom!” And says to Spacey: “Thanks Spacey, keep doing it if I rattle on just like that.” Jade says: “No son, those ideas are really wonderful to hear. I can’t even imagine such a thing happening in our Kingdom, but could picture how many people would be happy including my family, having such change in their lives would be most welcome.”

Bruce added: “Yes, as a servant I can vouch that many would-be rejoiced with such change in their daily lives. Not just working in a noble family but also our own, though we get paid most of it would be going to them as they don’t earn much and have just enough to feed themselves.” He stops and looks at Eric, says: “Sorry Eric, I didn’t mean anything with it. Our families still have enough to go around with. Now we are out of our jobs I and May, they can’t help but worry though I vowed to follow you, it would help if we can get a fraction of what we earned back at the Clan to help our families.”

Eric sighs and says: “No you don’t have to be sorry. It’s me who should apologize to you to have dragged you all in this situation. That’s why I am so eager to start our own farming to at least repay you for all the losses you will suffer. But if you can get better jobs with other noble families than please do accept it, they will probably pay much better than I can afford.” Theodore steps to his father and tried to bear hug him, but as tiny he is his arms just connect to his father’s back, barely. Eric exclaimed and says: “Son, what are you doing!”

Theodore says with tears dropping from his eyes: “I am much responsible for this current situation than you are, dad. I am sorry!” Eric hugs his son and says: “No Theodore, the responsibility lies with me. You’re just a kid …umm I mean ... YES, YOU ARE A KID, my child, even if ….” Cut off by his last emotional words, Jade joins in the hugging session and says: “We’ll manage to get through this situation if we remain together!” While Bruce and May are also starting to feel emotional.

 

Spacey interrupted all of them and says: “Excuse me!” All stop speaking and listen to the voice of Spacey.

Spacey continues: “Money won’t be a problem. Currently, you’re all hired hands by Spatial Server, except Theodore which speaks for itself, Jenna and Maggie due to their ages, which needs approval from their parents, you or Theodore.”

“And as workers, who go by the name Farmhand you will all get paid through the server for services done in OFT-Space, starting with payment of 0.375 gold coins or 37.50 silver coins, per hour as the lowest-ranked Farmhand, Junior. Though it might seem cheap out there the commoners don’t even earn half of it. Perhaps not even half of half to be honest.”

“The more experience you gain or if Theodore allows you to have greater authority within OFT-Space the amount will increase as well, fitting the title. See the details.”

Farmhands:      
Title: Authority: Gold coins, per 40 hours Gold coins, per hour
Manager Limited to 1000 gold coins, buy seeds, seedlings, and designs. Access to all storage lockers. Can give tasks to those under him or her and reward them outside the regular pay for service done which has a max limit of 100 gold coins or any products in equal value. The limit can be exceeded with authority from Server Administrator. 100.00 2.50
Assistant Manager Limited to 500 gold coins, buy seeds, seedlings, and designs. Access to the all storage lockers, besides the foreign object locker. Can give tasks to those under him or her and reward them outside the regular pay for service done which has a max limit of 50 gold coins or any products in equal value. 80.00 2.00
Senior Farmhand Limited to 50 gold coins, buy seeds, seedlings, and designs. Access to all storage lockers, besides the foreign object locker. Can give tasks to those under him or her and reward them outside the regular pay for service done which has a max limit of 25 gold coins or any products in equal value. 40.00 1.00
Regular Farmhand Has full access to farm equipment in the Shed and is able to assign squares of lands to farm or buildings. Can fully do Farming and construction, provided they receive materials from their Seniors or above. 25.00 0.63
Junior Farmhand Has full access to farm equipment in the Shed and is able to assign squares of lands to farm or buildings. Can fully do Farming and construction, provided they receive materials from their Seniors or above. 15.00 0.38
Senior Helper Under supervision is able to do farming limited to harvesting and watering. In buildings is able to help with construction. 7.50 0.19
Regular Helper Under supervision is able to do farming limited to harvesting and watering. In buildings is able to help with construction. 4.50 0.11
Junior Helper Under supervision is able to do farming limited to harvesting and watering. In buildings is able to help with construction. 2.50 0.06

Spacey continues saying: “The currency used in OFT-Space is adjusted to the current world we are in. 1 gold coin is 100 silver coins and is 10,000 copper coins, these coins look exactly the same within your Kingdom.”

“But a word of cautiousness, the balance of the OFT-Space is directly related to how many farmhands Theodore can hire and buying seeds as well as designs for building, and landscape changes. This includes the available amount of MaCs. Though the balance is currently still positive hiring too many farmhands at the start will influence your spending later. So be aware of it.”

“Also if giving some of your earned coins to your families outside, do have a reasonable explanation from where you’ve gained these coins without mentioning OFT-Space. As I and Theodore are already apprehensive towards allowing farmhands within OFT-Space as you should be aware that the Space you are in is something miraculous, which will be fought over by any nobles even Kingdoms in your current world if words get out.”

“The trouble Theodore will have, and by proxy, you are unimaginable where there is no place to hide. So please consider when talking about OFT-Space outside for the wellbeing of Theodore and your own families.”

“Later when the Union of Farmhand is built which is similar to the banks in your world, each of you will have his or her own bank account within and can view your activity in OFT-Space. You will also be provided with a personal money pouch that will be bound to you, where you can withdraw or store your well-earned money in here or out there.” 

“Hope this clears some doubts you may have and solve your money issues. Thanks for listening!”

 

They were all dumbfounded with what they just heard, including Theodore as he had forgotten the farmhand function in the game itself. Though he couldn’t be blamed because this was totally different more realistic in a sense.

The others look at Theodore with shining light in their eyes, like ready to take a bite out of Theodore. He shouts with a childish voice: “NOOOOO, MY MEAT TASTE HORRIBLE AND THERE ISN’T ENOUGH FOR ALL OF YOU.” They all laughed and felt relieved that the issue of money problems of their families are cleared up and could earn it in OFT-Space, even more than they received from the Clan, including Eric if he managed to get the same title as he had in the Clan, heck even a title like Senior Helper put him at the same earnings as Chief Store Manager.

 

Calming down, Theodore says seriously: “I’ve known of the farmhand function within the game from Rick’s memories, but didn’t have a clue how it works in this OFT-Space. For that I am sorry!”

“But like Spacey said we need to be cautious with spending for now as we are just starting off, so for a while endure the Junior Farmhand title. I’ll hire Jenna and Maggie as Junior Helper, so they also receive a bank account and a money pouch in the future. But please do explain to them the situation and they won’t talk about OFT-Space outside, endangering themselves from other influences.”

 

Eric came back to his senses and says: “When the time is right son, you just can change my title as a Senior Helper that was the amount I used to earn as Chief Store manager. And we can invest the coins in farming and buildings.” Bruce chipped in and says: “Yes Theodore, you can lower my and May’s title as Regular Helper, that’s more than enough for us to provide our families.” Jade also nodded.

 

Theodore looks at them all emotional and says: “Thanks guys for the support!” He takes a long deep breath and says: “But you really don’t see the potential of this OFT-Space clearly. It’s more than what you can imagine and more than what we have in the outside world.”

“Later when the production facilities are constructed, we can produce all sorts of products with the crops and livestock we grow and raise which we later harvest or slaughter. The product that flows from them varies to ordinary food to luxurious food, oils, perfume, alcoholic beverages, fruit juice too much more. The feather, hide and bones can be used for making clothes, sticks, weapons, cushions, and other stuff.”

“Not to mention the available quarries we later have in this OFT-Space, where we can mine for the ore which opens up other sorts of metalwork products, like machines. These products can be sold within OFT-Space for which you will need money.”

“Of course I can give it to you for free and I will. But later I can imagine you would be more at ease if you have the money yourself to spend on something you would like. It’s like a feeling of satisfaction you get for all the hard work you’ve done and can spend your own well deserved money.”

“I know how you guys feel about me with all this in OFT-Space. But from Rick’s memories, I’ve seen lots of arguments started within families for favors done, where a family member didn’t get paid. He or she puts a smile on his or her face as an act, but inwards he or she feels disgruntled and starts talking disproving about his or her own family to others.”

“This mentality doesn’t only happen on Earth but there are several situations happening here, even in the Clan which is called resentment. This isn’t shown but is build up through emotions. We need to break this current habit. Business is business and family is family, to stay honest with each other we should abide by this rule.”

“Of course favors can still be done between dad and Uncle, but be clear and open to each other if you feel the favor needs payment or not. Don’t say it is a vow that you, Uncle, followed my dad to here. Just ask yourself a simple question, if we really have gone broke without even able to feed ourselves, will you remain with us till we die or are put on the street? You don’t have to answer, I already know the answer.”

“Here in OFT-Space, I will be honest with all of you. You will earn what you deserve and nothing less. I’ll break that rule so everyone can be open with each other. We need each other!” (2)

Bruce looks at Eric who turns red and says to him: “Theodore is right, Eric! Sorry, but if things would have gone bad, I would have needed to search for something else to earn for the family.” Eric nodded and says: “I understand completely pal.” They gave each other a bear hug.

 

Theodore saw that the tension eased a bit, says jokingly: “Now that I am paying you, let’s start working.” May follows up and says: “Yes Boss!” Everyone had a hearty laugh and started to pick up the equipment, which they put in extra the Backpack. Theodore gave it to Eric and the men moved out of the shed while the women stayed, they started to change their clothes.

 

 

 

Author tries to explain:

  • 1) In previous chapter 17, I forgot to change the amount of seeds of carrots from 480 to 276. Already corrected it with the earnings of gold coins and XP!
    Yes just like real life farming, if you want to harvest a certain size of crop you’ll need to give it enough space to grow.
    The weeding, trimming and transplanting is done in home gardens, whereas in commercial farming pesticide and herbicide is used on large scale terrain. In this novel however none of that is needed in OFT-Space, because it’s all controlled by Spacey :)
  • 2) A little about morals of human nature. Don't be offended, because it happens if you think about it honestly.
10