Chapter 2: His everything.
363 0 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

The angel returned to his hiding place after his visit to the bar in Signis. It was a rocky mountain not very far away from the city, and his place was up on the top. Up there, there was a cave, small but well hidden, with the entrance blocked by a pile of giant boulders stacking up on top one another.

 

The angel carefully lifted a boulder up, making a space between the rocks just big enough for him to squeeze himself in. Another boulder was then moved to seal the entrance shut. Nothing was allowed to pass, except for just enough air to breath and a few strands of lights to see things. With this setup, without some kind of monstrous strength, it would be impossible for one to enter.

 

Not waiting for even a single second, the angel rushed towards a tiny figure lying on a bed made from his own feathers. She was a very young human girl, no bigger than a thirteen years old child. Her hair was long, creamy white and wavy, so long to the point of touching her feet. However, the state she was in was shockingly terrible. Her body felt like it no longer had any muscle, only bones and skin, and if one looked closer, they would certainly notice that both of her eyes were gone. Someone had gouged the girl’s eyeballs out, leaving behind only empty sockets, and just like the angel himself, the girl’s body also emitted a nauseating smell. 

 

The smell that could even terrify death.

 

But the angel didn’t care. He knelt down, ran his fingers through the girl’s hair and looked at her kindly.

 

“Alice,” he whispered softly. “I have returned.”

 

But the little girl named Alice didn’t respond. The angel then slightly shook Alice’s shoulder to wake her up, but nothing happened. Confused, he then slid his hands behind Alice’s back, lifted her up and held her closer to him. Maybe he wasn't close enough for her to hear? So again, he whispered: 

 

“Alice, wake up...

 

“I’m here...

 

“Wake up…”

 

But it still did nothing. No matter how many times he called, Alice's body remained motionless. Her chest was still moving, but just slightly up and down, like it could stop any moment now.

 

A second to him felt like eternity.

 

And thus, for each and every second passed, the angel’s voice quivered more and more. His body trembled and there was this feeling of a whole mountain’s weight pressed down so hard on his chest. He didn’t know what else to do. All he could do now was to call out to her with everything he’s got.

 

“No… Alice…” he begged. “Don’t leave me...”

 

“Please don’t leave me…”

 

The ground shook.

 

Tears streamed down from the angel’s eyes without him being aware of it. Like a beast who about to lose control, he let his power flow out of his body and materialized into black aura surrounding him. His pair of wings turned from white to black. Everything was vibrating. He was not ready to lose her. In his mind, he swore to destroy the world if anything happened to her...

 

The more desperate he got, the more of his black aura grew bigger and spread to his surroundings.  Just like a balloon was about to burst, the angel was very near to losing his mind as well.

 

But then, something miraculous happened. The girl’s mouth opened slightly, and even without any magic involved, a single word coming out from her was enough to stop time and silence the world.

 

“Seraphiel…”

 

That was the angel’s name. 

 

Upon hearing that voice, Seraphiel’s body turned frozen stiff. 

 

“Seraphiel... what’s wrong?”

 

Alice raised her hand, trying to get a feel of her dear angel. She touched his shoulder, and because she couldn’t see, she moved her hands slowly, touching his neck, his chin, then finally stopped at his cheek.

 

“Why?... are you ... crying? Sorry Seraphiel, the pain was too intense so I had to put myself to sleep.”

 

Suddenly, Seraphiel broke out from his statue-like state, pulled Alice closer to his chest and then screamed with the most quiet voice as he could as he was afraid that it could hurt her.

 

“Don’t! Don’t scare me like that!”

 

Alice chucked. She was so close to Seraphiel now, so she could feel his heart beating so fast like a drum. Alice's heart danced with joy too. She trembled and sweated a bit. It was very painful for her to have her heart beating so fast like that, but she couldn't help it. Somehow, this pain even though it was so intense, it was something she loved and held dear.

 

“Stupid Seraphiel,” said Alice.

 

“No I'm not!” Seraphiel denied.

 

"Aha, yes you are."

 

This response made Alice laugh, but it was only for a moment before she had to hold her chest to endure the pain from coughing. It seemed that her body was too weak to even handle a simple laugh right now.

 

“Alice!” Seraphiel was again worried.

 

“Ah, I’m fine.” said Alice, but still shaking and hugging her chest tightly.  “Seraphiel, you know, just a few weeks ago I thought nothing could ever scare you.”

 

“Oh...“ Seraphiel's eyes shot open as he realized this. “I... I thought so too.”

 

Alice then smiled. “So how was it?"

 

"How was what?" asked Seraphiel.

 

"You know, being scared for the first time?”

 

“Oh, you have no idea. It's terrible! The thought of losing you was just… just...” Seraphiel was about to say something, but for some reason, he stopped.

 

“Seraphiel?”

 

Seraphiel didn’t say anything anymore. The angel just spread his wings, embraced little Alice in his arms, and stayed like that for a while without speaking any word. Alice was surprised at first, but then she understood what he was trying to say. 

 

“I see…" Alice smiled. She then raised her hands again, hugged Seraphiel with her tiny arms while letting herself shrink into the fluffiness of his feathers. Within Seraphiel's embrace, she gave his wings a kiss.

 

Seraphiel too kissed Alice's forehead.

 

"Thank you so much, my precious Alice, for staying by my side."

 

 

11