Ch14 [Magnus Institute-“The simple task”]
42 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Ch14 [Magnus Institute–“The simple task”]

«Loen Kingdom, Midseashire County, Constant City
June 18, 1349

I have never been outside of the Magnus Institute once i have been dragged in their Organization. But everytime that I look at the large glass windows of the Magnus Institute, I know that I am place shrouded with darkness and clouds. There are the ever tall mountains within the outside. If I open the windows, there would be cold winds, rushing towards me and I would have a hard time gasping for my breath.

Mountains. The Magnus Institute is located within the mountains. Outside, the Magnus Institute is surrounded by tall maze gardens.

Today, I have been assigned on a task of spectating the other members of the organization. Mr.Miller said that I don't need to participate in their task but just watch the proceedings. That is his condition for me before I can step up towards the world of beyonders.

Before he can give me the formula for the reader pathway..... As I said before, I am not convince that the reader pathway is a good choice. I considered the Marauder, Seer or Spectator pathway... That time, I felt uneasy of Mr.Miller. His eyes was colder and it looks like he was looking at me like a dead man. I never felt so scared so much... His stare was comparable to the fear that I felt on the train.

It was like there was a thousand eyes staring at me with their full attention. I must be careful on how I behave..

On the Garden Maze of the Magnus Institute, every dead end  leads to the distortion– a door that would open to all places that would never be there. It can appear anywhere that it wishes,  underneath the solid surfaces, standing alone with no attached structure, and taking the place of other doors, and can take a variety of forms. The member of the organization have said that it was an artefact created by Mr.Michael, the avatar of the Spiral.

It was fascinating and terrifying. When I entered the distortion, I felt that I can go anywhere but I wouldn't arrive in my destination. I feel lose and confused. Thankfully, it was a temporary feeling. I don't want to experience it anymore but I'm certain that this is our only way of transportation. I better get used to the feeling, sooner or later.

Bless my travels.

Sincerely, Luwen Gardner »

Luwen immediately closed the notebook after he finished writing and stored it to the storage ring– an item created by the combination of the avatars of the vast, web, spiral and lonely. It can store a huge amount of items and appears to be endless. Through, when it was given to him by the Senior member of the organization– Nicholas Anderson, a mid sequence beyonder of the lawyer pathway–he was cautioned in using it. It said that it was malfunctioning when illuminated by red full moon, and he can never used it that time or else he would be dragged inside the storage ring and never get out again.

Luwen never wanted this item when it was given to him that time. He was given the said item as the dubious benefit as being a member of the organization. Every member of the organization was given a storage ring.

“ The Organization is generous... What would happen if the storage ring is lost? "

" There's no need to worry, the storage ring can only be used by the members of the organization. "

Luwen looking at the object, he can say that the Magnus Institute aside from being a secret organization with a very long history– just by looking at the countless books at the archives. Being powerful, with 14 avatars as a high sequence beyonder– according to his speculation. The organization also possess many mid sequence beyonders according to Senior Nicholas.

Luwen felt doubtful at first for the organization to possess so many beyonders. In the days that he spent in the Institute, he rarely encountered the other members of the organization. There are few beyonders who come and go in the institute. Recently, he learned that the organization has a sub branches secret organizations.

Everchase, a secret organization of the hunter pathway.

Circus of the Other. A secret organization run by the avatar of the stranger.

Tundra. A pirate ship lead by Avatar of the Lonely.

Church of the Divine Host. A secret religious organization dedicated to the Dark.

Cult of the lightless flame which was dedicated to the Desolation.

Divine Chains Cult which was being influenced by the Corruption.

Nemesis. A group of wandering musicians led by the Slaughter.

Fairchild. A noble family in the Feysac Empire who was influenced by the Vast.

All of them, are a part of the Magnus Institute. It was terrifying how they are part of the Organization. And the moment he learned about the circus of the stranger, Luwen swears to himself that he would never attend in any circus again.

Wearing an average victorian clothes underneath his robes, Luwen followed the members of the organization. They are currently in the Constant City who are also known in it's other name as Wind City. It was known for it's extremely advance coal and steel industries and it was one of the top three cities of the Loen Kingdom.

Luwen doesn't know what would the older members of the organization would do here in this city. But he felt uneasy and uncomfortable. He has no time to appreciate that he was currently outside of the organization, as he was worried what are they doing here.

His mind was already speculating various deeds that was against his moral views. He also noticed that while they are walking, it seems that none of the people even look at them with suspicion. The people are so busy over their own lives. Later, they arrived in the depressed areas of the Constant City.

Other than Senior Nicholas, Luwen was also with Senior Milka who was a low sequence beyonder of the secret suppliants pathway, Senior Connor who was a mid sequence beyonder of Marauder Pathway, Senior Rosa who are a mid sequence of the Savant pathway and Senior Johnson, a mid sequence of the monster pathway.

They walk and continue to thread their path towards the downtrodden places of the constant city. While walking, Milka glance at Luwen and says.

" Stay put. We don't need you to interfere with our task. Your only task is to 'watch' don't speak, don't bother and we don't need your horrified babbling later. If you made a mistake, I wonder if the head archivist would allow me to punish you? " Milka said with a smile.

With those words, Luwen instantly knows that they would do something unethical. He clenched his fist as he followed them.

Senior Johnson was wearing a eye monocle. Luwen knows that it was a beyonder item created by the head archivist to find something. They followed Senior Johnson and arrived at a very run down house. Just from the distance, Luwen can smell something that made him an urge to throw up the contents of his stomach.

" Oh, a victim of the flesh hive...how lovely! " Senior Rosa cheered. Luwen was disturbed by her behavior. Most of the members of the organization was really unstable. If they are beyonders how does they still not lose their control and become monsters? Most of them looks they are in the verge of breaking down.

Before they entered the broken down house, Luwen saw senior Connor placing a Forsaken Charm in front of the house. It was an item created by the Avatar of the Lonely and has an effect of Isolation of a human, place, environment or an object within a controllable distance.

When they entered the house, Luwen immediately put his hand on his mouth. He gritted his teeth to stop his sudden urge of nausea.

A woman was lying in the ground staring blankly. She was a middle aged woman. Her eyes are half open and half closed. She has a rough and coarse brown hair. Thin and unhealthy. Her dress are dirty and covered in grimes and blood.

" Saved....me....save...." She keep muttering words and pleading help continuously. They walked towards her, but she appeared to not notice them. She still keep muttering.

" You would get used to it later. " Senior Nicholas said to him as they stared at the woman whose hands and feet are starting to show signs of decay. A swarm of silvery worms with black heads are within her hands and feet.

" Head Archivist would be happy! " Milka exclaimed.

" A new food for the head archivist. " Connor said expressionless.

The more and more he learned new things about the Magnus Institute, the more and more Luwen felt that he would be consumed by their madness.

1