Ch16 [Interlude:“Goodbye to the Past”]
39 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Ch16 [Interlude: “Farewell to the Past”]

Formula, ingredients and instructions. All of them are already gathered. Luwen look at them at the table. His gaze was filled with indescribable emotions. Just a few more steps and he would become a beyonder. Should he be happy? Now, there was a chance for him to regain what he loss.
Fill the dull, empty and monotone him. Become a beyonder and he can start his pursuit.

Luwen sat on the chair while looking at the table on contemplation. There was only him and the table from his perspective. Engross in his contemplation, he didn't heard the loud knocking on his door. The door opened, revealing a young man covered in hood. His eyes was unseen beneath the robes but it can be clearly seen on his face that he was young. Probably on the range of 18 to early 20s. He glance at Luwen for a moment before speaking.

" I can clearly see that you are already a few steps before you can become a beyonder. "

On his palm, there was a little black spider standing obediently.

"Congratulations."

He said at Luwen who was broken out of his trance. Luwen glance at him. He was frowning at the familiar person.

" Why are here? " A cautious yet displeased tone asked. " Are you here to confuse my mind again? Always coming here to speak with misleading and vague words– which wasn't true. What is really your purpose Mr.Web? "

" I'm not here to confuse your mind. Those words that I have said– they are true. " He gestured towards the door. " I am here today to congratulate you. Other than some simple pleasantries, don't you want to visit your past? "

Luwen look at him dubiously. The Web was an unpleasant person for him.

" Your former house, don't you wanted to take a look? "

" What do you want? " Luwen is frowning. He has a grim and serious expression on his face. Irritation and annoyance toward the person who was standing beside the door was warring inside his mind.

" Nothing.... This is maybe your only chance to look at your home. Don't you want to bid farewell? "

An offer, temptation or a trap. Which one is it?

" I don't have a plan in saying  farewell. " Luwen gritted his teeth.

" How unfortunate. "

The Web smiles mysteriously. For Luwen, it was unpleasant and one of the ugliest smiles that he have seen on his life. Including his own. His own empty and bitter smile, the one that was always showed everytime that he  stared at mirror since his family died.

" Your family, wouldn't you want to visit them? "

Luwen hesitated. What's more important? His family or the power of the beyonder?

Staring at the formula, ingredients and the instructions on making the potion for the reader pathway, he decided to store them in the storage ring. He left from his seat and glared walking towards web.

" Members aren't allowed to leave the institution unless they have a task or a mission. " Luwen said as he stared at the Spider in the web's hands. He decided to distance himself.

" That was for the lowly members of the institution. If someone was accompanying them, a high position member, it was alright. "

" How convenient. "

" I already have Miller's permission.... Next time, I wouldn't have allowed you. That way of speaking toward me... That sarcasm, you better put it down, Little Luwen. "

Luwen ignored him and stepped out of his room. The web followed after him walking silently. Together,they left Luwen's room and made their way out of the Magnus Institute.

.............................

Faraway from the populated areas of the Tingen City, near and surrounded by meadows and grass. That was where the two story house of Gardner Family was located. The Gardner Family house, the home which was inherited by his father from his parents.

Outside the house, Luwen stare at their home. Their house that was filled with many memories and experiences. He stood outside at their house's wooden fences. Standing, never daring to take one more step– a clear evidence of his cowardice.

" The Gate is already open? Wouldn't you want to enter? " The web asked. He was looking at Luwen's back curiously. He can't see what emotion was in Luwen's face. Was it filled with pain and sadness? He wanted to see it.

" No need. " Luwen said sighing.

They arrived here at the Gardner Family house. Luwen was already spending his time here standing for a few minutes. He agreed at the web's proposition. They arrived. But Luwen can't even have the courage to take a step forward inside the Gardner House.

He has never grown up his cowardice. He was still a person who was afraid from a lot of things.

" It's a pity....that I can't enter. "

Luwen muttered to himself. He look at his hands and smiled bitterly.

Maybe once he became powerful, he would have the courage? What a wishful thinking. A coward dreaming to become powerful. He shook his head for a bit and his left hand reached for his throat shaking.

" Aren't you really going to enter? "

The hands on his throat loosened and let go. Luwen breathed and answered.

" No.... Maybe in the future? "

If there was a future...that was with him existing, alive and powerful.

" Today.. I would just wanted to say goodbye. " Temporarily. It's not permanent. Luwen would see his family again.

Before that, he would try...to become a powerful beyonder. In his revenge. To find a way..... escaping or regaining what he loss.

" Didn't you said that you wouldn't want to bid a farewell? "

" It's temporary. " Luwen glance behind him. At the web who was smiling. An ugly and fake smile. " I would visit the house again.... "

The web didn't stop smiling. He glance at the notice that was plastered on the wooden fence. Luwen followed his gaze. The web smile widened.

[ For Sale ]

" Are you certain that you would still have the chance? "

" I have the chance. " Luwen said. Glancing at the Gardner House that was covered with mold, dust and cobwebs. " I would never thought that our once lively home would have become the infamous haunted house from the rumors of the Tingen City. "

" Benefits of a member. " The web said as he stepped forward and placed his hand on the wooden fence. The black spider left his hand and started crawling on the fence. In the future, the Gardner House would be filled with more cobwebs.

" Now, shall we visit the cemetery? "

The web asked. Luwen ignored him and started walking silently. Later, they were inside the carriage. Luwen frowned as he someone dressed as a clown and was giving pamphlets reminding him of the Stranger.

The web smiled as he saw the clown.

" Eight days later... A beast tamer would posture as a fortune teller. "

2