~Chapter 89~ Part 3
1k 8 54
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Naoren's temporary office was situated on the top floor of the building, and it was about as unnecessarily spacious as expected. By the looks of it, it must've used to be the penthouse suite of the hotel, but it was thoroughly remodeled to serve its new purpose. That said, the room itself was fairly bare, with a large hardwood desk dominating the place, sitting on a raised platform in front of the huge windows overlooking the city, with a simple glass-top coffee table and several carved chairs in front of and beneath it.

I imagined things had been arranged this way so that the people sitting by the table had to look up at the clan head behind his desk. Probably some kind of power display or what have you. That said, while the place was unexpectedly utilitarian, it also had a few interesting decorations I didn't notice when I was observing the place through the guy's aide. Such as the huge, floral-printed folding screen in the corner. Or the very, very expensive-looking vase right next to the door. Or the huge, mossy stones arranged in front of us.

"Is there a problem?" our host inquired, and it took me a second to realize he was addressing me.

"No, not a problem per se," I responded a touch ambivalently, and he raised his brow in return.

"Just?" he prompted me, and after some vacillation, I shrugged.

"Just that I didn't picture you as a zen garden kind of person," I noted and pointed to my right. "I didn't even know you could have one of those indoors."

"It was a gift from the Ryu clan head," Naoren explained as he slowly looked over the rectangular area filled with large natural rocks and carefully raked gravel. "Personally, I could never find the time, patience, or motivation to care for one, but I admit it's aesthetically pleasing."

"Wait, hold on. Let's roll that back," I cut in with a palm raised. "It was a gift?"

"Yes," the bespectacled Draconian answered with just a hint of amusement.

"How does someone even gift a whole zen garden?"

"Very persistently," he answered without actually giving me an answer and gestured for us to follow after him to the sitting area.

The 'us' in this context referred to me, Mountain Girl, and oddly enough, the small odango girl as well. She's been following us like it was the most natural thing to do, and since this was her home turf, I couldn't exactly tell her to go away.

Anyhow, I sat down, and Naoren took a seat on the other side of the coffee table so that we would face each other. The arrangement closely resembled our last meeting, except for Rinne standing ramrod straight behind my chair, and a little girl helping herself to a seat on our left.

As if waiting for this exact moment, a tall man dressed in a plain white tunic entered, pushing a simple food cart with a porcelain tea set and various, bite-sized pastries on it. By the way he dressed and carried himself, I figured he was part of Naoren's retinue. At this point, my brain went on a small tangent about whether the Chinese Draconians had servants like the Dracis did, and if so, whether there were any maids or equivalents among them, but I quickly shook it out of my head.

"Shall we continue our discussion from last time?"

"That's the plan."

Hearing my response, our host let out a thoughtful hum and picked up one of the cups.

"Our last talk was unfortunately interrupted, so I can't quite recall where we stopped." While I was torn on whether to tell him or not while odango girl was still around, the man abruptly raised a finger, making the whole dilemma moot. "Before that though, I believe I've yet to apologize for the incident my brother caused during the banquet. I assure you that he received a fitting punishment for his behavior."

"To be fair, my friend wasn't entirely innocent in the matter either," I tried to deflect the issue, but Naoren continued on like I didn't say a word.

"The truth is that what happened that night was, at least, partially my fault. My brother only recently achieved a breakthrough in his cultivation, and his mind was unstable due to its lingering aftereffects. I knew of this, and should've forbidden him to participate in the event, but he was looking forward to the banquet for a long time."

"So you're saying you knew he would cause an incident, but let him attend anyway."

"Knew is a strong word. I simply predicted, knowing Zihao's personality and the instability caused by our cultivation technique. I should've known better, but he was too excited, and brotherly love blinded me. For this, I sincerely apologize."

I eyed the man elegantly sipping his tea for a while, and a resigned sigh later I decided to just bite the bait and ask, "What exactly is this 'cultivating technique' you're talking about?"

Naoren smiled like he'd been waiting for me to ask, and explained, "The main branch of our family cultivates our bloodline using the Crimson Emperor Mantra. It's a powerful technique that allows us to maintain our position of power, but it's also an overbearing one. Its tenets revolve around strength, supremacy, and dominance. It requires a firm mind and strong will to cultivate, otherwise, one may risk deviation, and being swallowed up by their base impulses. I'm afraid Zihao's mind was still unstable after his breakthrough, and it's why he got into conflict with your companion."

"So his Yang was unbalanced, yet he still attended the gathering," Rinne noted behind me with just a hint of disapproval.

"Shameful, right?" odango girl chimed in, giving my self-appointment bodyguard an approving look. "Balance is the most important! That's why I practice the Thousand Years Old Willow technique instead!"

"A most imposing name. It must be a truly profound technique," Mountain Girl nodded along.

"It is! It really is!"

"Only the main branch is allowed to cultivate the Crimson Emperor Mantra," Naoren noted on the side, most likely trying to explain why she was using a different one.

"I like Thousand Years Old Willow better anyway!" the little girl insisted with puffed-up cheeks, looking pretty darn cute in the process. I'd give her about 0.6 on the Snowy-scale, which might sound low, but I'd consider it high praise.

"Rinne agrees. A balance of Yin and Yang is the most important."

"That's right! Are you also a cultivator, miss bodyguard?"

"No. Rinne follows the internal purification teachings of the sages."

"Oooh! That sounds interesting! Can you tell me more?" the kid asked with practically sparkling eyes, and I could practically see a bond forming between the two kindred spirits in real-time.

"Maybe later," Naoren cut in, and odango girl puffed up her cheeks again in protest.

In the meantime, I used this intermezzo to grab my own cup, and after taking a couple of sips, I summarized the point he tried to get across.

"So what you're trying to tell me is that, due to the thing you cultivate, your brother wasn't in his right mind at the time, and that's why he was rearing for a fight."

"I don't believe he was looking for one," Naoren corrected me. "It would be more accurate to say that Zihao's eagerness to find a bride was amplified by his breakthrough, and so he—"

"Wait, halt," I stopped him in his tracks with a raised palm again. "Did you say 'bride' just now?"

Naoren flashed an amused smile and explained, "Why, yes. It's a rare occasion for so many youngsters of our bloodlines to gather in one place, so he had been looking forward to the opportunity to meet girls of his age."

"Ew. Gross," the little girl commented on the side but was mostly ignored.

Meanwhile, I graciously overlooked the bespectacled Draconian's usage of the word 'youngsters', and focused on the big picture. In short, this Zihao guy probably was hitting on Angie after all, and that's why the whole incident happened. That meant it wasn't just a random 'event' on the road of the childhood friend duo's slow progression towards dating, and it probably didn't require any narrative meddling to set it up. Well, aside from getting all the pieces onto the same game board in the first place, but still. Refreshingly Watsonian.

"The side effects of this technique of yours definitely sound annoying. Are you also practicing it?" I asked just to keep the conversation rolling, and our host flashed a smile that didn't quite touch his eyes.

"Indeed I do."

"Does that mean you're also affected by it?"

"Occasionally," he admitted with a shrug. "In my case, I've focused on the 'domination' aspect of the Crimson Emperor Mantra ever since I was a child. It allowed me to reach my current position in the clan, but as a result, I suffer a constant urge to find and fight powerful opponents." He paused, and I swear to god, I could totally see that cheesy thing when someone's glasses glinted before they said something dramatic. "Why, in fact, I have to constantly suppress my urge to challenge you to a duel even now. I would greatly appreciate it if you could help me deal with it one of these days."

Odango girl, currently nibbling at a tea biscuit, perked up at once, but quickly deflated when I responded with, "Sorry, but I don't really have the time today."

"A shame." Naoren shrugged and took another sip from his cup. "In any case, I believe the topic of my brother's unsavory behavior has been sufficiently explained."

"Yes. In arguably unnecessary detail. As far as I'm concerned, it's water under the bridge, and he and my friend can work the rest out between each other during the tournament."

"Then let's discuss the main topic. I believe it was something related to the safety of our clan, wasn't it?"

"Yes, but before that..."

 I repeatedly glanced between him and the little girl, and it only took him a second to get my message.

"Xiao Xiao? I'm afraid our discussion might be a little dry for you. Why don't you discuss cultivation with Leonard's vassal in the next room over?"

"Rinne must stay by Leonard-dono's side," Mountain Girl responded by reflex, only to then notice the pointed look I was giving her and amend, "However, if it is only the neighboring room, Rinne will oblige."

Now it was the little girl's turn, and she sulkily averted her eyes.

"I wanted to ask senior to give me some pointers..."

"Maybe after we're finished here. What do you say?" Naoren put me on the spot, and while I had no idea what kind of 'pointers' I was supposed to give, I had no choice but to nod along.

"Sure, if we have the time."

The girl immediately perked up like her previous sulkiness was a lie (in fact, I had a sneaking suspicion she played her disappointment up for effect), and jumped to her feet.

"Thank you, senior!" She gave me another martial artist salute and beamed at me. "I'll lead your vassal to the dueling chamber! Let's meet there!"

I very nearly asked why a hotel would have a dueling room, but then I remembered who I was talking to, and I wisely remained silent. Rinne sent me a conflicted glance, but under my urging, she followed after the energetic child, and they left the room the way we originally came.

"It seems Xiao Xiao took a liking to your vassal," Naoren noted with a good-natured yet strangely irritating smile. "Though not as much as she did to you."

"Apparently, though I can't say I know why," I responded a tad begrudgingly, and this time the guy outright chuckled at my expense.

"I find it natural. Girls her age tend to have their idols, and considering your meteoric rise to fame, it's not at all surprising she looks up to you. It's no wonder..." His words slowly trailed off as a frown settled on his brows, then he set his cup onto the table and solemnly added, "Just to be sure, do not mistake her interest for affection. If I were to find that you had plans to make her your concubine, I would have to kill you, and that would be a shame."

"Considering she's, what, eleven? Yeah, I probably won't misunderstand anything, and the less said about this whole 'concubine' business, the better," I answered a touch flatly.

"Good. She might only be my second cousin, but I view her as a younger sibling, and will act in her defense as such."

 "So you're saying you're the protective older brother type. Got it."

My comment made his brows descend even further, though this time he appeared more troubled than anything.

 "I don't believe I'm particularly overprotective." He paused and abruptly threw the ball in my court by asking, "What about you? I've heard you have two younger sisters."

"Yes, I do, and I don't think I'm overprotective either."

"So you're the same as me."

"I suppose."

That seemed to be the end of the topic, but I waited a few seconds to see if he wanted to say anything else before I broached the main topic.

"All right then. Should we get started on this discussion in earnest?"

"It would be about time, wouldn't it?"

Naoren crossed his hands in his lap and his body language indicated that he wanted me to speak up. Maybe he really didn't remember the exact note where we left the last time? Anyhow, I cleared my throat.

"Long story short, we were talking about my proposal to permanently remove the Knights as a threat."

"Yes, I do remember that part. I believe you proposed a cease-fire."

"Among other things. However, things have taken an odd turn since then."

Naoren raised a curious brow and uttered a guarded, "How so?"

For a moment or five I hesitated, but ultimately decided not to beat around the bush.

"Listen, Naoren. I want you to hear me out, from beginning to end, and only make a judgment after I'm finished."

"I can promise that much."

"Good. Now, here's the current situation: I'm planning to dismantle the Knights as an organization, and reform them."

"… Excuse me?"

Over the span of about a quarter of an hour, I proceeded to explain our plans for the Knights, the formation of a united Draconian council overseeing the activities of all clans, and the integration of the former into the latter as a sort of police force. Some parts I only explained in broad strokes, others in more meticulous detail, and my host carefully listened to every single one of my words.

At last, I reached the end of my explanation, and concluded with a frank, "So, that's the long and short of it."

Naoren remained quiet, probably to see if I had anything else to add anyway, but in the end he let out a shallow sigh and removed his glasses so that he could massage his eyes.

"When you originally talked about reining in the illegal activities of our kin to avoid conflict with the Brotherhood of the Most Noble Bloodlines, this wasn't what I had in mind." One more sigh later, he replaced his glasses and continued in a sterner tone. "Before we continue, explain to me why the Knights would ever follow this arrangement."

"Because I say so," I answered a touch mischievously, but my host didn't seem to appreciate the jest, so I clarified, "I suppose I should properly introduce myself again. You know me as Leonard 'Blackcloak' Dunning, Chimera slayer and the fiancé of Eleanor Dracis, when in reality... I'm all that, plus the Lion Knight."

"You're what?" the bespectacled draconian uttered flatly, and I couldn't really blame him.

"Well, I suppose 'the former Lion Knight' would be more accurate, as I don't plan on using the moniker anymore."

"So you're a renegade Knight?"

"No? Quite the opposite, actually. You see, I also happen to be the current King of the Knights, meaning I'm their leader, and I already made sure that all the other Knights I could get my hands on would cease any and all hostilities."

Naoren stared at me like he wasn't sure I was joking, then he removed his glasses to massage his eyes again. I waited for him to finish, feeling a little less tense than before. Just a few short seconds ago my danger sense was giving me a soft warning, but I barreled on, and by now it was completely gone, meaning he was probably on the cusp of attacking me but thought better of it.

"Why are you telling me this?" Naoren asked, and after a bit of thinking, I just shrugged.

"Because you have to know. I mean, I'm going to enact this plan one way or another, and your support would be much appreciated. It's not like I could keep it a secret for long, and I figured it was better that you learned of it now than if it happened during a more dangerous situation."

The Draconian clan head continued to eye me suspiciously.

"Does clan head Abram know about any of this?"

"Of course. The whole family does. It's not something I would keep a secret from my in-laws."

There was another long beat of silence in the room, and just as it was about to get awkward, Naoren exhaled a long sigh and slouched his shoulders.

"So let me see if I understand this right. You are the leader of the Brotherhood of the Most Noble Bloodlines. You came to this island where you met Lenore, and you fell in love, so you decided to dissolve your organization, unify the bloodlines, and merge the two into a new establishment."

"There were a couple of more steps and missteps on the way, but that's the gist of it."

"Do you truly believe it's possible to set aside centuries of conflict and hatred just like that?"

"Of course. I mean, what is the alternative? Keep killing each other? Not exactly a desirable prospect if you ask me."

"That sounds very optimistic of you."

"Oh, don't get us started on that topic again," I grumbled while rolling my eyes, and my response drained some of the tension from Naoren's shoulders. "Anyhow, that's the plan. Take it or leave it."

"And you want my help in achieving it."

"I'd already laid most of the groundwork, so I mainly need you to use your influence over the Eastern Draconian families to make the transition smooth and painless for everyone involved."

He tapped his finger against his thigh a couple of times while thinking, then suddenly asked, "This new organization of unified bloodlines you envision. Who is going to lead it?"

"I have no idea," I admitted, and he once again stared at me like I was the weirdest thing he'd ever seen. "Look, I already have way more on my plate than what I'm comfortable with. I just want to get this stupid feud between what's essentially two branches of my family to be finally over. I leave sorting out the internal politics of the clans to people qualified for that."

"Meaning?"

"Abram and you, I suppose."

"... So you are saying that after the merge, you would relinquish any claim of leadership."

"Do I even have any of that?" That comment got me another weird look, so I hastily added, "Never mind. The question is, can I have your support?"

The bespectacled Draconian shifted in his seat and seriously considered my question.

"I'm afraid that's not something I can decide on my own. As the clan head, it's my duty to look after the interests of the Feilong clan and all of its vassals. This is a decision that would affect all of us, so I can't afford to be hasty. That said, if what you say is true... I have to admit, the prospect of being remembered as the clan head who resolved the centuries-old conflict that shaped us into what we are today... it's certainly tempting."

"Well, there are certainly worse things to be remembered for."

"Indeed." My host readjusted his glasses, and stated, "In any case, at the very least I must discuss this proposal with grand elder Xinji before I could give you an ans—"

I reflexively clicked my tongue and pointed at him, cutting Naoren off mid-word.

"Actually, there was another reason why I wanted to talk with you ASAP." He waited for me to continue, so I used my most diplomatic tone to tell him, "You probably don't want to share any of this with the grand elder."

"And why's that?"

"Because he's conspiring with the Knights."

My flat answer gave him a pause, then he tentatively asked, "Isn't that what I'm doing right now?"

"On a technical level, I suppose?"

"So you're saying you're negotiating with him separately."

"No, that's not what I..." I started, then exhaled a soft groan. "Okay, let's start from the top. I told you I'm the leader of the Knights. I have about two-thirds of the Entitled Knights under my command. The problem is, I have no way to contact the rest, so they have no idea what's going on, and they struck up a deal with your grand elder to do something during the upcoming tournament, meaning he's conspiring to do something potentially nasty, and I don't want any rogue elements like him involved in our negotiations."

"That is a serious accusation," my host told me a touch pensively. "Do you have any proof of it?"

"Not really, no. I simply got the tip from a trusted source."

"So it's secondhand information then."

"Technically yes, but I can one hundred percent guarantee its authenticity."

"Then this discussion is entirely predicated on whether or not I trust your word over the grand elder's," he concluded, yet after only a short few seconds, he sighed in resignation again. "Very well. I will keep your offer to myself for the time being."

"Thanks for the vote of confidence, I guess."

"You have unconditionally shared your secret with me, so I believe it's only natural." I flashed the man an appreciative smile, and he accepted it with a shallow nod. "But assuming your information is accurate and grand elder Xinji is truly attempting to cause 'something potentially nasty', as you put it... Should we cancel the competition?"

"As tempting as that sounds, no. As the saying goes it's better the devil you know than the devil you don't. At least this way, we know when and where they'd strike, so we can work around their plans and use them to our advantage." Naoren didn't exactly look convinced, so I flashed a winning smile and added, "Trust me, I have experience with these kinds of things."

"Using other people's plans against them?"

"Yeah. My life is kind of crazy like that," I admitted, then shook my head and made a tent with my fingers. "You can say I'm something of an expert when it comes to derailing even the most well-laid-out plans."

I didn't mean that to be ominous, yet Naoren looked at me like I was some kind of wicked mastermind. That wasn't the impression I was going for, so I cleared my throat and tried again.

"What I'm trying to say is that when people say 'No plan survives contact with the enemy', they're talking about me."

Shit, that only made my impression even worse, didn't it? It sounded much less nefarious in my head, but it just came out weird. I guess I'll really have to retire the Bel persona one of these days, before it completely rubs off on me.

Oh, who am I kidding? Playing Bel was waaay too therapeutic for me to stop any time soon.

54