12: Smithing
308 7 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

12: Smithing

Elder Smitt’s view

Not wanting to risk leaving such an important person in the care of someone else, I went to pick up the master smith myself, as soon as could be arranged, and took the young lady and her personal servant with me through the air to return to my forge. 

If someone were watching, it’d look like we three were standing on an invisible platform as it flew through the sky. I take pride in that. Do you know how hard it is to get multi-person flight that stable? Most people can’t do it. Like this, we can comfortably converse during the flight as well, since I’m blocking off most of the wind.

“You find it hard to believe I’m the person you’re looking for, don’t you?”

“Well, I admit, it’s pretty hard to believe under ordinary circumstances. Not only is your body quite young, but your meridians are a complete wreck. I can think of a few ways for it to be possible though. For instance, if you were a master whose body had been ruined in a fight. I doubt such an event could happen without my knowing of it, if it were to occur on this continent, but if the fight happened in the upper realms, and you were once an immortal, that is now recovering in the mortal realm after having your cultivation destroyed… well, that would fit.”

Her smile as she heard my explanation made it pretty clear: She was testing me. I think I passed?

“You certainly have a good imagination. Yes, you could say it is something like that. I have knowledge and skill, but currently lack cultivation. My knowledge is also not of this world, and I’m curious about the current state of this world. For instance, compared to others in this world, how strong are you?”

“Ah, well, I think I’m among the strongest cultivators. Certainly, of those who are known to still be around and active, there are only six of us around the same level as I, and of those stronger, there’s only myths and legends. No confirmation. Many believe them to be either dead, or ascended.”

“You still seem quite far from ascension yourself.”

“Yes, indeed. The only records of people known to have ascended to the upper realm, are so old that one can’t help but question their validity. The last recorded ascension was around ten thousand years ago.”

“Hmmm… so what led you to the path of forging?”

“Eh? Well, since I have earth and fire spirit roots, it’s only natural I’d become a forge master.”

“What are spirit roots?”

“You don’t know? How can that be? Everyone’s spirit roots determine their potential! Not only does it affect what types of ki will provide the most growth, but also what types of ki they can most easily control!”

“May I examine you?”

“I suppose. Is something special required?”

“I just need to touch you a bit. Ah, I see, you’re using a very primitive cultivation method, that doesn’t properly purify the ki. No wonder you’re so concerned about roots.”

“What do you mean by purifying ki?”

“Try examining Mel, here.”

“Hmmm… her ki is unlike any I’ve seen before.”

“She has mostly pure ki. Her level of cultivation isn’t high enough to reach the highest grades of purity yet, but it’s far better than your own. Pure ki can safely be used by anyone, regardless of physique. Not like the almost raw ki you have. With the right cultivation method, one’s physique is of little consequence.”

“I see. Well, we’ve arrived now, so I can show you my forge and my works.”

The young lady seemed to spend more time examining my anvil and hammer that I used a lot more than she did examining my finished products and works in progress I had strewn about.

“I’m actually rather impressed by your work, Smitt.”

“Really? I’d have thought you’d consider it quite poor compared to your own ability.”

“I’m impressed because of how much you’ve accomplished despite knowing so little. You’ve managed to create fake rank 3 artifacts, despite lacking the knowledge required to make a real one.”

“So, it’s like being impressed by a child, because of how young they are when they accomplish something, instead of the quality of what they’ve made.” 

“Something like that, yeah.”

*sigh* I suppose that’s still a compliment. Just how much don’t I know though?

“I’d like to make something. I’d like some silver, copper, and gold.”

“Alright. That box over there should have what you need.”

“This may take me a while, I hope you don’t mind.”

What happened next was so amazing, I could do nothing but stare as she worked. She drew out strands of gold, copper, and silver, and wove them like string. Just by using the ki in the air, she did something I’d struggle to accomplish even with my own ki. Wild ki is even harder to control.

I know not how long I stared as I watched, only that my eyes were quite dry by the time she was done. The end result was a very intricately patterned metal ball. The young lady handed it to me, and when I examined it more carefully in my own hands, I was completely stunned. This ball, made with only the tiniest amount of ki, emitting almost no power of its own, was a far higher grade artifact than anything I had ever made.

“I can only make up to grade 7, because I lack divine sense for the last three dimensions. However, I believe this should be able to provide you with enough information to reach the full potential of your current cultivation level.”

Tears ran down my cheeks, as I comprehended the true value of this gift. This ball of metal strings, contained within it, detailed examples of every step of its own creation. By studying this, I could learn every technique used to create it. I’d become able to create marvels I’d only heard of in old legends.

“Thank you. I don’t think I can ever repay you.”

“Just try to make the world a little better. That’s all. I’d like the world to be one where good people flourish, and evil people don’t. That’s all.”

“I will take these words to heart.”

“Now, do you have some place we can stay for the night? It is getting quite late.”

“Of course. You can stay in my place.”

...

Mellanie’s view

As Elder Smitt escorted us to his guest rooms, we encountered a foolish fop.

“What’s this? Has Elder Smitt taken in disciples? How can these two be worthy? Ones far too old, and the other looks to be a cripple! How can these two be worthy of you?”

“These are guests! I dare not call them disciples!”

“Guests? An old maid, and a crippled child as guests?”

“What would you know?!”

I just ignored the fool and went inside the guest room that had been pointed out to us earlier. Sect politics were never something I cared much for. It didn’t take too long for Elder Smitt to chase off the other man, and join us.

“Sorry about that. He’s one of the teachers here, and always gives me a hard time.”

He then spent a bit of time to make sure we had everything we needed taken care of, before leaving us alone. Time for sleep.

14