Broken Jade
2.2k 7 36
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The onlookers sucked in their breath, seeing the direction things were going at. They were unable to believe the favor Bai Yu Yan was receiving. They immediately recognized the bracelet. The bracelet was not an ordinary one. It was what the late emperor had given to his daughter-in-law. Its value for the empress could be discerned from how she had always worn it on her hand. Nobody had expected her to give it to Bai Yu Yan, whom she had only met for the first time.

Even Bai Yu Yan herself was uncomfortable with the generosity. She didn’t know if it was her imagination but under those warm eyes, something flashed across but was quickly hidden. Mentally shaking her head to disperse the thought, she hurried to decline “Your Highness, this one does not deserve it. It’s too precious.”

“These hands that can create such beautiful pieces deserve it, my child. But if you think this is too much then, you can make a beautiful dress for bengong, how about it?”, before Yu Yan could refuse it, the empress laughed jokingly as she tried to slide the bracelet on Yu Yan’s right hand.

On the side, the emperor also had a smile in his eyes. But all of a sudden, the sound of clanking startled everyone. All eyes were immediately drawn towards its source. On the floor were scattered pieces of broken jade.

Bai Yu Yan was alarmed with shock. Realizing what happened, a chill went up her spine. The bracelet that was supposed to be on her hand was lying on the floor in pieces. The sharp edges of the broken jade felt like dozens of knives pointed at her direction. Unable to react, she scolded herself in her heart for not watching the palace drama properly.

The empress was looking at her with a solemn expression. Lips pressed together into a thin line, her eyes reflected a mix of shock and hurt.

Thinking about what just transpired, cold sweat formed on her back. Midway through sliding the bracelet to her hand, the empress suddenly let go of it before Yu Yan could even react. So she couldn’t stop the bracelet from falling. But she couldn’t even say that it was the empress herself who dropped the bracelet. And wasn’t it supposed to be a high-grade jade? Why did it easily break like the one bought with 5 Rmb, ah?

But none of it mattered as people only believe what they see. And from everyone’s perspective, it appeared like she was the one who dropped it. It seemed like either she disregarded the bracelet or was too arrogant of her skills.

The crowd was pin-drop silent. All she could hear was her own beating heart. Even her legs that had gone numb from maintaining the kneeling position was forgotten.

“This lord had reminded you of your low alcohol tolerance but you still went ahead and drank the entire cup of wine. See, now you can’t even hold yourself properly.”, a man’s reproachful yet helpless voice woke her. Bai Yu Yan turned her head in daze to look at the man who was approaching her. The glowing light of yellow lanterns created an effect of halo covering his body. The firm hand he held out to her, at that time, she desperately wanted to hold on to it.

Lu Tong Xiao helped her to her feet and patted her skirt, “From now on, no more alcohol.”

Although he didn’t make sense, she didn’t reply. Without a word, Bai Yu Yan looked at the man who was holding her small hand in his larger one. Maybe because he could feel her nervousness but he didn’t let go. And strangely, she felt secure and calmed down. Only then did she understand what he was trying to say. He was implying that since she was drunk, she wasn’t stable while holding the bracelet.

Realizing it, she wanted to knock his head. Even she herself wouldn’t believe it, let alone these old foxes. But unexpectedly, no one uttered a word to refute him. Even the empress looked stupefied.

The emperor looked at Lu Tong Xiao in amusement. Although he didn’t buy Tong Xiao’s absurd excuse, he didn’t seem offended.

It was the first time that Bai Yu Yan witnessed the open display of his power. It seems no matter what he said, as long as it was not against the nation, no one would dare to disprove him.

Raising her hands to inspect, he saw a small cut on the back of her pale hand, “Does it hurt?”

Yu Yan mechanically shook her head. It was just a small cut, nothing to make a fuss about.

“Prime Minister Lu, zhen’s beloved empress is hurt because of what happened. Do you have nothing to say about it?” the emperor asked him as he looked at Tong Xiao with a smile in his eyes.

“Your Majesty, Her Highness has given the bracelet to my wife in front of everyone, which means she is now the owner of the bracelet. But now that it is broken, shouldn’t it be my wife who should be at loss?”

Everyone, including the empress, was dumbstruck by his answer. But they couldn’t find any fault in his reason. After all, they all witnessed the empress handing the bracelet to Bai Yu Yan.

“But if Her Highness is upset because of it, then this one will personally go to a jade master to fix it and also ask the abbot in Jiming temple to bless it. Father knows the abbot who had done it previously.”, calmly saying it, Tong Xiao turned to look at Master Lu for affirmation.

Master Lu’s eyes twitched seeing his son lie with a straight face. Still, he nodded his head, “Ah..yes. It was this official who accompanied the late emperor to Jiming Temple.”

The empress shot an icy glare to Bai Yu Yan. Hearing Lu Tong Xiao say that he’d take it to a jade master, she hurriedly replied, “Bengong received the bracelet from late Father. So even if it is remade, it won't hold the same significance. And what Prime Minister Lu said is not wrong. Bengong already gave it to Bai Yu Yan.”

Bai Yu Yan silently breathed out in relief.

The emperor nodded at the empress’s magnanimity and patted her hand to express that he understood her feelings. 

36