A Sincere Thank You
2.2k 7 35
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Bai Yu Yan followed Lu Tong Xiao like a little kid following her parents to home for punishment. But inside, she was grumbling that not having a business card was really inconvenient. Even if she didn’t get a chance to personally tell Fan Li Wei about her shop, she could have dropped the card and acted like it fell off her pocket. Fan Li Wei, being the gentleman he was, would definitely pick it up. And when his celestial figure graced her design, she would have implicitly made him the ambassador of her shop for Fan. Then, all she had to do was invent a cash counting machine and eat watermelon while Xiao Fan counts money. Thinking that it was all ruined, she glared at Lu Tong Xiao’s back as if it was all his fault.

Lu Tong Xiao, who was unaware of the ongoing drama in her mind, led her out of the garden. One in the front and the other at the back, Lu Tong Xiao didn’t let go of her hand throughout the way as they walked to where their carriage was waiting for them. He waved his hands to excuse the eunuch waiting to see them off and without a word, helped Bai Yu Yan up in the carriage.

After taking her seat, Bai Yu Yan saw that he didn’t come in but only looked at her from outside. She blinked her eyes in confusion. There was a wide passage for him to go and sit on the other side. Only when he quietly stared at her seat did she understand and scooted inside. What are your words, gold? The carriage was spacious enough to comfortably fit at least eight people but with his robust body sitting close to her still made it crowded.

At night, on the empty road, the carriage moved at a steady pace. The two people sitting side by side didn’t utter a word. There was only the sound of horses' hooves striking against the paved road.

Bai Yu Yan thought about today’s events and looked at the man who was quietly sitting beside her. She thought he would say something after all that happened at the banquet but calmly sat there as if he didn’t care about anything. She had never sat in this close proximity with him where she could even feel the heat from his body. Occasionally, when the carriage shook side by side, his shoulder would lightly brush against hers.

She quietly smiled at the man who shook more than the carriage as if he didn’t have any weight in his body.

Beside her, Lu Tong Xiao was also thinking about what happened earlier. When he saw her holding hands with a stranger, unknown to him, his heart nearly came out of his chest. He was rational enough to not jump to conclusions without having a clear understanding of the situation. But the surge of uncomfortable emotions rushing out of his heart was foreign to him like something was clenching on it. He wanted to immediately rush there and pull him apart from her but he held himself back with difficulty. Nearing them, only when he saw what was happening, a wave of relief washed over his erratically beating heart. He let out the breath he didn’t know he was holding. She was only helping him wipe the stain, nothing else! Nothing else!

“Your Excellency, thank you!”

Bai Yu Yan’s soft voice broke the silence surrounding them. It brought Lu Tong Xiao back to reality and let go of the hands he was clenching unconsciously. He slightly turned to look at the person sitting beside him but immediately turned his head back.

“Not sincere.”

This petty man!

Bai Yu Yan was slightly taken aback by his reply but quickly calmed herself thinking that the man never acted according to the script. She then tilted her head and seriously thought about how to sound sincere while thanking him while the silence continued in the carriage.

“Master, we’ve arrived!” Bai Yu Yan had still not thought of what to do when Xuyi’s voice reminded them that they were home. It was already late at night and most people had already gone to bed. The servants had hung lanterns on each side of the gate so that the road would be visible for the passing carriages. Lu Tong Xiao raised the thick curtain and prepared to go down the carriage when Bai Yu Yan suddenly shouted.

“Your Excellency, there’s something outside the window!”

Lu Tong Xiao immediately became alert and turned towards the window on Bai Yu Yan’s side. Outside in the inky night, before he could search for anything suspicious, he was suddenly greeted by the softness on his lips. The curtain that left his hand fell down before the servants outside could see anything. But before that, the last thing he saw was Bai Yu Yan’s clear eyes reflecting the light seeping from the outside.

The sensation as soft as the light touch of a feather went as quickly as it came. Lu Tong Xiao didn’t even have the time to react before the sweetness that threatened to engulf him was gone.

“Thank you, Your Excellency!” Bai Yu Yan’s soft voice whispered in his ear. Her warm breath tickled his ear, turning his earlobe light red.

Bai Yu Yan lifted the curtain and jumped down the carriage, scaring the servants outside. She gave a last look at the person who was still in the same position and smiled before running to the Autumn courtyard.

Lu Tong Xiao's soul nearly flew away with her. He was stoned for a long time until Xuyi came back after looking around to check what Bai Yu Yan saw. Hearing her alarmed voice, he was scared it was an assassin sent to the Prime Minister’s residence.

“Master, this servant has already checked around. There is nothing here.” Xuyi reported in haste after confirming that there was nothing suspicious.

“It flew away!”

His master’s words immediately made his body tense. “Master, what flew away?” Is the enemy really formidable?

My soul. “A bird. What else can fly away?” Lu Tong Xiao composed himself and looked at Xuyi in disgust before coming down the carriage. 

Author's note: 

Dear Readers,

Only yesterday I found that the contract invitation I received from Webnovel was from the Webnovel Spirity Awards Spring 2020. Among the 835 participants, this story was selected as the 23 contract awardee. Although this is a different platform, I still want to thank you for loving this story. If you want to support this novel, please comment, vote, and review this novel on Webnovel. Share it with your friends and family. Although I am not sure if I will sign the contract since I am very new to this and it's the first time I am writing a novel but your love and support are always invaluable to me.

Love,
7174PK

 

35