Chapter 25: Our new teacher Assaf-sensei
2.7k 19 76
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

   It has been almost two weeks since Assaf has become my class’s homeroom teacher. Surprisingly, she’s being an excellent teacher so far.

   She took time to remember all her students’ names, their strengths and weaknesses, even their hobbies. As a result, she knows exactly how to deal with and helps each of us. Her lectures are very easy to understand, so even slow students like me could catch up easily. She’s even keeping track of our attention span. The moments she notices that it’s been depleted, she would end the lecture, even though the bell hasn’t ring yet.

   Eventually, she became quite popular at the Academy. Students constantly seek her whenever they’re troubled, and she would try to help them as much as possible, and being very patient while doing it.

   She even taught me on how to use the Ring of Putrid Water. The only problem is, the magic power of the ring is way too powerful for me right now, so I can’t use its full power without having the risk of being overwhelmed by its magic.

   ‘There’s no need to rush.’ she told me one day while we’re inside a training room. ‘It took me almost two years to get used to its power. Besides, it’s better for you to rely on your Gáe Bulg than the ring, since you’re more suitable to stand at the front line.’

   I suppose she’s right. Unless I’m a high rank mage like her, I would end up being a support if I’m using a Regalia that’s magic oriented.

   ‘Sensei, I’m planning to ask my friends at the Research Department to try to develop some sort of limiter for the ring. Do you think it might work?’

   ‘Hmm, I suppose that depends on how talented those friends of yours are. You could try, but don’t be too hopeful.’

   ‘Yes, sensei. Well, I’m stopping here for today. Once again, thank you for your guidance.’ I say while using teleportation magic to store my ring back at the vault.

   She smiles. ‘No problem. Just come to me again if you need any help.’

   My body’s all sweaty from the training, so I head for the nearest shower room. However, I had to stop at the entrance.

   ‘...Sensei, why are you following me?’

   ‘Why, you ask. I’m going to help you wash your back, of course.’

   ‘This is a shower room, sensei, not a bath house! Even if it is, this place is for guys only.’

   ‘Come now, there’s no need to sweat over minor details. I still need to prove myself in order to become one of your girlfriends, yes? This is a good time for it.’

   ‘No it’s not! Could you wait outside? Or rather, please wait at my room.’

   I took me quite a while, but she eventually relents and agrees to take my key and heads over to my room first. On a side note, all of my girls have a spare key to my room, so that they could enter any time they want. Naturally, Assaf-sensei doesn’t have one.

   Ever since Assaf-sensei had sort-of declared her love for me, she had been pretty aggressive in her approach in order to become part of my harem. In a sense, she’s even more daring than Sakuya.

   For now, the rest of us are fine with her dining with us during dinner time. Honestly, I don’t know how to return her feelings. Don’t get me wrong. I’m happy that there’s another woman who’s in love with me, but the feeling’s not really mutual. I mean, I’ve fall in love with all my other girls after I’ve spent a considerable amount of time with each of them, and I’m pretty sure it’s the same for them.

   Look, I’m not some thirsty guy who’ll accept any girl that comes flying at me. For all I know, it’s just a suspension bridge effect on the part of Assaf-sensei, and her feeling’s just temporary. And don’t get me started on her past.

   I want to believe in her. I really do. But I just can’t shake off the feeling that she’s trying to destroy the Academy from the inside, even though she didn’t try anything suspicious so far.

   She also refused to tell us the person/group that had been supplying her with the empty shells. She said that a deal’s a deal, and she’ll be taking the secret to her grave, unless the group was exposed before that happens. I have my suspicions on the culprit, but I can’t be sure until she tells us.

   Anyway, Assaf-sensei kept her promise and didn’t come inside throughout the whole time I was showering. When I go outside, she’s no longer there, so I assume she’s on her way to my room.

   I look at the time. It’s still early for the date I’ve promised with Ichika, so I decide to drop by the Research Department to look for Iwata and co..

   I’ve only been there twice, once when we retrieved Excalibur from the cavern, and another when I stored my ring at the vault located next to the department. It’s location is underground, so I need to use an elevator.

   When the doors of the elevator opens up, I find myself looking at a facility similar to the military base we used for the training camp once again. The only difference is, there are all sorts of inventions everywhere.

   There are also people who’s wearing lab coat everywhere you see, and all of them are busy with something, whether it’s typing at a keyboard, writing down notes, or tempering with an invention. They barely communicate with each other, and even then it’s done in whispers.

   I step out of the elevator and walk around, hoping to find the trio without asking help from anyone. Word is, these people will get very cranky if you bother them while they’re being busy, so I try to be discreet. Some of them saw me when I pass by, but chose to ignore me and continue their work. I guess I’m not worth their attention unless I decide to wreck this place.

   After a bit more of wandering around, I finally see Ueno. Just like the rest of them, he’s also wearing a lab coat. Thankfully, unlike the others, he didn’t ignore me when he saw me.

   ‘Oh hey, Kagenashi. What are you doing here?’

   ‘I need a favor done. If it’s possible, I was hoping that you, Takagi and Iwata would take care of it.’

   ‘Is that so? What do you need?’

   I explain it to him, and I show him the ring.

   ‘Hmm, I’m not sure about this. An S Rank Regalia, and one that belongs to a God…’

   ‘Can you at least try?’

   ‘I think so. I’m not sure about the other two, but I have time on my hands.’

   I hand him the ring. ‘Thanks. By the way, how’s the things for you guys here?’

   ‘It’s surprisingly good, actually. All three of us had been told that we have talent in stuff like research and inventing. I just wished we’ve been here sooner.’

   ‘Good for you. All the best for you, then.’

   ‘Thanks.’

   ‘And send my regards to Iwata and Takagi.’

   ‘Will do.’

   He says he’s going to start working on my ring right away, so I leave the department and head for the surface. Right on time, Ichika just sent me a message to tell me that she was just done with student council’s work as well, so I decide to wait for her at the school gate.

   ‘My apologies for being late. Have you wait long?’ Ichika asks me as soon as she arrives.

   ‘Not at all. I just got here. Shall we go?’

   ‘Yes. Let us.’

   I’ve promised each of my girls a date after I’ve worried them sick by sort of dying once, and Ichika requested a humble shopping date at the supermarket we frequent to. I’ve alreadt gone to a date with the others, and Ichika is the last one on the list.

   ‘Look Akira, the green peppers are on discount. Should we get some?’

   ‘Nah. Mashiro won’t eat them, anyway.’

   ‘Maybe you should stop spoiling her when it comes to food.’

   ‘There isn’t a real need for that, is there? It’s not like peppers are the only vegetables around.’

   ‘I guess you are right.’

   ‘We still have some beef from last night. Shall we get some scallions to make beef stir-fry?’

   ‘At this point, I thought you would be tired of cooking it.’

   ‘Tired of cooking my lovely girlfriend’s favourite food? Not a chance.’

   Ichika becomes very flustered after hearing that.

   ‘I believe president has mentioned to me that she wants to eat Salisbury Steak.’ she tells me in an attempt to hide her embarrassment. ‘Meanwhile, Fuyukaze wants to eat onion rings.’

   ‘Alright. And Madoka?’

   ‘She wanted something tofu-related.’

   ‘Tofu, huh? I guess mapo tofu will do. And Yui told me she wants some salmon.’

   Since Yui has to accompany her family, she could not join us for dinner all the time. I don’t want to make a choice between her family and us, but she insists that she wants to spend time with us as well.

   ‘What about you, Akira?’

   ‘Me? Let’s see, I feel like having potato tonight.’

   ‘Made into salad and has bacon bits on top?’

   ‘Ichika, you know me so well.’

   She smiles proudly at that. ‘I am your girlfriend, after all.’

   Assaf-sensei didn’t give me a request, so I just got more stuff that everyone ordered. After we got everything we need, we leave the supermarket and head back to our dorm.

   Yui and Assaf-sensei are discussing something while looking at some notes on the counter when we got back. I take it that Yui is asking sensei about something lesson-related. Madoka and Mashiro are playing with my game console, and they look like they are having a good time. Meanwhile, Sakuya is lying on my bed face down.

   Yui is the first one who noticed Ichika and I.

   ‘Welcome back, Akira-kun and Kurogane-san.’ she says to us.

   ‘We’re back.’ Ichika and I say at the same time.

   While Ichika, Yui and I are preparing to make dinner, I call out to Sakuya since what she’s doing is kind of bothering me.

   ‘Sakuya-senpai, what are you doing on my bed?’

   She slightly turns her head before answering.

   ‘Your big sister is recharging by sniffing your scent.’

   Ooooooooookay.

   ‘Um, could you get up? It’s kind of embarrassing.’

   ‘Just five more minutes, or until you’re done with dinner.’

   I sigh and decide to let her be. On the other hand, Ichika is staring at Sakuya enviously, and everyone else have a guilty look, as if they had done the same as Sakuya.

   ‘Oh, before I forget. I would like to have my key back, sensei.’

   Assaf-sensei clicks her tongue and hands it over reluctantly.

   While we’re eating dinner, Assaf-sensei has a sudden announcement.

   ‘In two weeks time, the Academy of the Tokyo branch is going to have a joint training with the Kyoto branch.’

   ‘That is rather sudden.’ Ichika says.

   ‘The principals of the two branches decided on it after the uproar caused by yours truly. They’re in the opinion that the branches in Japan at least should have better teamwork should similar incident occurs.’

   Ah yes, the second arc of Season 2. In the original version, the training was cut short since there were undead attacks in the nearby area where the training was held. Now that the spell was canceled by Assaf-sensei, it will go on smoothly (unless another hoo-ha that I wouldn’t know of occurs).

   This arc is also significant in the sense that another girl of Yuuji’s harem will make her appearance. I don’t know how to react to that, since I’m not confident at dealing with idiots.

   ‘But, is it really okay for you to tell us that, sensei?’ Yui asks.

   ‘What’s the difference? You students will know of it, anyway.’ Assaf-sensei says while looking at Madoka.

   ‘That said, I’m still surprised that Principal Morifuji actually allowed you to work here as a teacher.’ I say to her.

   She shrugs. ‘They’ll need every help they can get if they want to prevail against Lost Children, even if it means taking in one of their former executive. Besides, I’m not completely trusted.’

   She taps her necklace when she says the last part. From what I know, that necklace will sound an alarm if Assaf-sensei tries to pull anything funny. Unfortunately, trying to go inside a male shower room and doing other inappropriate acts to her student do not count as “anything funny”.

   ‘If it’s any consolation, you’re currently the most popular teacher here.’ Madoka tells Assaf-sensei.

   That made her smile. ‘Oh, is that so?’

   ‘Yes. In fact, a lot of the male students are secretly signing a petition so that you will be assigned as the school nurse.’

   Assaf-sensei looks at me expectantly.

   ‘Don’t look at me! I know of no such petition!’ I quickly say.

   ‘Well, you do now. Will you sign it if someone asks for your signature?’

   I hesitate.

   ‘...I guess I will.’ I tell her honestly.

   ‘Assaf-sensei!’ Sakuya raises up her hand all of a sudden. ‘Will you be hiring nurses? I’ll be the first one to apply if you are!’

   The other girls are also applying for the position.

   Assaf-sensei smiles again. ‘Why not? That way, Kagenashi-kun will have his own team of doctor and nurses.’

   ‘Assaf-sensei? This is the school nurse we’re talking about, not my private doctor or whatever.’

   Thankfully, that snapped her back to reality.

   ‘Oh, right. I have to be fair to everyone.’

   ‘That’s righ-’

   ‘We’ll have another session at night then.’

   ‘Yes. That way, we can do anything we want. And it’ll be more exciting too.’ Sakuya agrees.

   ‘Oh, for crying out load! Ichika! Help me out here, would you?’

   ‘Um, will the…session be wholesome?’ Ichika asks instead.

   ‘Of course it will. All of you are still students, after all.’

   ‘That’s right, Ichika-chan. There won’t be any adult actions, so you should join us.’

   ‘Yes, join us~’

   Oh no. The only reasonable girl in the group is being misled by the two succubi. As for everyone else, they’re pretty much on board on the idea.

   ‘Well, if it is wholesome…’

   Great, even Ichika has fallen. I let out a long sigh.

   ‘Fine, fine. Maybe one of these days.’

   ‘It’s decided then. I can’t wait to play doctor and check your temperature through your hole.’

   ‘Sensei, please mind your phrasing.’

   ‘But, don’t you need a medical license to be a school nurse?’ Yui asks.

   ‘I already got that covered.’

   She takes out her wallet and a piece of plastic card from the wallet. It’s a medical license.

   ‘Don’t worry, it’s genuine. I’ve been alive for so long I took all sorts of exams to acquire all sorts of license.’

   ‘And you renew these said licenses regularly?’

   ‘Of course. I won’t get into details, but I can assure you that I did it legally.’

   And so, it’s decided. Assaf-sensei applies for the position of school nurse on the next day, and got hired due to her experience and the license she has. The infirmary was always short-staffed, so the staffs are very grateful that she has joined the team. She still teaches lessons, so she could only help out when school’s over, but her help is appreciated nonetheless.

   On her first day of duty, lots of “patients” have turned up, all of them male. Assaf-sensei allows them to step inside the infirmary anyway, but chased out those with fake injuries and/or illness in a matter of seconds.

   After I’m done with my afternoon training, I decide to pay her a visit. All the other staffs have go back home, only leaving her for the cleanup. I decide to help her out while I’m there.

   ‘Sensei, you’re not being bullied, are you?’ I couldn’t help but ask after I see the amount of cleanup that’s need to be done.

   ‘Of course not. I asked for it, since I wanted some alone time. Turns out it was one of the best decisions I made, since you came in. Shall we play a game of doctor that adults play right now? We could keep it a secret from others.’

   I straight up ignore her and concentrate on the cleaning.

   ‘You know, I really find it ironic that I’m being a school nurse, of all things, considering the fact that I was a necromancer that used to toy with lives.’ she says all of a sudden.

   ‘What’s wrong with that? That’s what atonement means. You used to toy with lives, and now you’re trying to save them. It all balances out in the end.’

   ‘Wow, I never thought of it that way.’

   I stop working and stare at her. ‘Seriously? Why did you apply for this position, then?’

   ‘Like I told you that night, it was for the game.’

   ‘Sensei, you’re making it really hard for me to respect you!’

   ‘Well of course I’m kidding. Fooled you, didn’t I?’

   ‘You sounded pretty serious, though.’

   ‘In all honesty and seriousness, do you think it’s possible for me to atone? Even after all I’ve done?’

   I make sure to look into her eyes before answering.

   ‘Yes. It’s absolutely possible.’

   ‘...Tell me. Have you and the girls already kissed?’

   That came out of nowhere.

   ‘Um, not yet. Although I did kiss Yui and Sakuya-senpai on the forehead.’

   ‘So you have yet to give away your first kiss. Since I’m the newest addition, it would be unfair for me to take it, so I’ll settle with this.’

   She steps forward and hugs me.

   ‘Thank you.’ she whispers at my ear. ‘Compared to my times at Lost Children, I love this job so much more. It’s just so fulfilling and fun and…better. Honestly, I don’t deserve all these.’

   I hug her back.

   ‘I’m glad that you love it. And what do you mean you don’t deserve it? You absolutely do.’

   ‘Even though I used to be a psychopath?’

   ‘Even though you used to be a psychopath.’ I assure her.

   ‘Thank you. I’m very grateful to all of you, but you especially. Thank you for making all these possible.’

   ‘I barely did anything. You did most of the work.’

   ‘Now you’re just being humble. I’m in love with you even more now. We should just roll into one of those beds and make babies.’

   Aaaaaaaaaaaand the moment is ruined.

   ‘Sensei, remember what you said last night? About keeping things wholesome?’

   ‘That only applies to relationship between students. I get a pass since I’m an adult.’

   I struggle to break free from her hug.

   ‘That’s it. I’m not helping you anymore. You’re on your own now, sensei.’

   ‘Wait, I still have lots of things to do! Please don’t abandon me!’

   ‘You said it yourself, didn’t you? You wanted some alone time. So I shouldn’t bother you.’

   ‘All right, I’m sorry, okay? I was being too horny, I apologize!’

   In the end, I continued to help her out, since I’m a softie. After we’re done, we head to my room together.

   ‘Sensei, if you promise me that you won’t make a mess of my room, I don’t mind handing you a spare key to my room.’

   ‘...You mean it?’ she knows all too well the significance of that.

   ‘Yes. So, do you promise?’

   ‘I’ll try.’

   She gives me another hug after conforming that no one is around.

76