Chapter 27: Solo investigation (2)
2.1k 18 71
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

   ‘It’s his smell, isn’t it?’ Amaya-san asks. ‘It’s definitely his smell.’

   Greg looks very offended.

   ‘Excuse me? For your information, I’ve used those “shampoo” and “body soap” just like you wanted me to!’

   ‘Apparently, they didn’t help at all. I guess we’ll have to soak you up in deodorants next.’

   Greg looks at me. ‘What’s this “deodorant” that she speaks of?’

   ‘Um, it’s something you use to cover up your bad smell.’

   ‘So it’s like perfume?’

   ‘Yes. They’re pretty similar.’

   ‘There’s no way I’m using those again! No! Way!’ Greg shouts at Amaya-san. ‘Do you know how bad that thing smells?’

   ‘Hey, that was my favourite perfume!’

   ‘Well, it smelled terrible! Your original smell is so much better!’

   Amaya-san blushes furiously at the remark.

   ‘Wait, does that you’ve smelled me? When did you do that?’

   ‘Once or twice after you’ve fallen asleep in your room.’

   ‘You! Are! Such a creep!

   ‘Anyway!’ I interrupt before the situation gets worse. ‘It has nothing to do with his smell. I’ve fought enough Destroyers to be able to tell. Call it an instinct.’

   ‘Oh. Is that so?’

   ‘Yes. So can we get back to the main topic now?’

   ‘Of course. Sorry for being off-tracked.’

   ‘That’s okay.’

   ‘Now, the main topic.’ Amaya-san suddenly looks very embarrassed. ‘I know it’s kind of hard to believe. Even though Greg’s a Destroyer, even though he’s an absolute creep, I’m…well, I’m in love with him.’

   She was pretty much whispering at the end, but I heard what she said nonetheless. And so did Greg.

   ‘So do I. I’m madly in love with the human known as Yamagata Amaya.’ he declares.

   Both of them could not stop fidgeting after the embarrassing declaration of love. Hey, you guys think it’s embarrassing? Imagine how it feel likes for me, an outsider. Once again, I’m the one who needs to do something about the atmosphere.

   ‘So, how did the two of you meet?’ I ask quickly.

   ‘Well, that creep went inside my room while I was studying for my exam.’ Amaya-san begins. ‘He told me that he was hungry and he wanted a few drops of my blood.’

   I look at Greg. ‘Exactly how much blood are we talking about?’

   ‘Like she said, just a few drops. That’s how I’ve survived all these years, by sucking up blood that could only feed mosquitoes.’

   ‘And you asked for donations like how you asked Amaya-san?’

   Now it’s Greg’s turn to look embarrassed.

   ‘Actually, I only asked for her permission. All these while, I waited until my “donors” are asleep.’

   I was about to ask him what’s with the difference in his SOP, but then it dawned on me.

   ‘...Oh. I see.’

   However, it would seem that Amaya-san didn’t know the reason.

   ‘That reminds me. You never told me why didn’t you just wait until I’m asleep.’

   ‘Should I?’ I offer.

   He shakes his head.

   ‘No. Let me.’ he looks at Amaya-san. ‘I just wanted an excuse to talk to you.’

   Amaya-san realized what he’s implying at once. Her expression became very smug.

   ‘I see~. You wanted to talk to me, do you? Am I that attractive? Of course I am~.’

   Greg sighs. ‘This is why I never told her. I knew it would end up like this.’

   ‘So, it’s the usual after that?’ I ask. ‘The two of you bonding over chats and eventually falls in love with each other?’

   ‘Yes. It’s disgusting, isn’t it? A human and a Destroyer, falling in love with each other.’ Amaya-san asks.

   ‘I’m not really in a position to criticize someone when it comes to socially unacceptable love.’

   ‘Why? Did you fall in love with a Destroyer too?’

   ‘No. It’s just that I have 6 girlfriends.’ I admit a bit guiltily.

   I was expecting Amaya-san to berate me, but she doesn’t do any of the sort.

   ‘Wow, lucky you.’ she says to me.

   ‘You don’t find it despicable?’

   ‘Why should I? Everyone has their own circumstances, right? Who am I to judge? Besides, like you said, my love is socially unacceptable too.’

   That was not a reaction that I was expecting. Anyway, I’m getting off-topic here.

   ‘How long was it since the two of you have…well, started seeing each other?’

   Amaya-san thinks for a bit before answering.

   ‘I think it was over 2 years ago. Wasn’t it, Greg?’

   ‘Sounds about right.’

   ‘And you waited this long to run away from your parents?’

   She shrugs. ‘They were going to introduce me to some of their slimy partners’ slimy sons. Abuses, I can take. Forcing me to meet people that I know I won’t love or even like, that’s another story.’

   Ah. So that’s why her parents were agitated enough to fire the poor driver.

   ‘So, you’ve been hiding here since then?’

   ‘That’s right.’

   ‘And what was your plan?’

   ‘...I didn’t have any. I was so fed up with them that I asked Greg to get me out of there without thinking of the consequences. I’m sorry for being so immature.’

   ‘There’s nothing for you to apologize. It’s understandable, considering the circumstances. Have you thought up of anything while you’re here, then?’

   She looks down at the floor in shame. ‘The answer is still no.’

   ‘I wanted the bring her over to my world, but I don’t think a human can survive for long there.’ Greg tells me.

   I have lots of questions regarding the world that the Destroyers inhabit, but I guess now’s not a good time.

   ‘Amaya-san, I’m sorry to be rude here, but how old are you?’

   ‘Me? I just turned 17 this month.’ she replies.

   So it’s another 3 years until she’s a legal adult.

   ‘Do you want my suggestion?’

   ‘Yes please. I’m in dire need for some.’

   ‘Okay, then. For now, you should go back to your parents. I know it’ll be tough, but you need to endure it for 3 more years. When you’re an adult, you could leave the house legally, and there’s nothing they can do to stop you.’

   ‘Yeah, except for the fact that they can straight up imprison me if I tried to leave.’

   ‘Her parents might also marry her off before she gets any funny ideas.’ Greg adds.

   I disagree with Greg’s scenario. ‘No. They can’t force her to get married. It’s banned by the law. They would have to trick her or do something equally disgusting.’

   ‘Like I said, I could take their abuse. I seriously doubt it could get any worse.’ Amaya-san says. ‘It’s the part where they’ll stop me from leaving that gives me a headache.’

   ‘You could hire me in advance. Right after your 20th birthday, I’ll come a-knocking.’

   She looks at me in astonishment.

   ‘You’ll do that?’

   ‘Gladly. It’s a job, after all. Plus, I would do anything to see your parents getting seizures.’

   ‘Now that’s something I can’t wait to see. But, what about Greg?’

   The Destroyer in question merely shrugs. ‘It’ll be the same as usual. Me sneaking into your room to meet you.’

   ‘No, what I meant is what will happen to you if your true identity got discovered? Not every humans are as nice as me or Kagenashi-kun, you know?’

   Greg raises his eyebrow. ‘You? Nice?’

   ‘Oh, quit it with the jokes! You know what I mean!’

   ‘I have a proposition for Greg-san as well, but it’s quite risky.’

   ‘Which is?’

   ‘I’ll bring him to see my principal. With his influence, he could probably give Greg-san a protection order or something similar, provided that he does not kill him himself.’

   ‘That’s indeed risky.’

   Greg shakes his head. ‘It was already risky the moment we fall in love with each other. If there’s a chance for me to survive without hiding like a coward, I’ll gladly take it.’

   Amaya-san didn’t bother to talk him out of it, since he has a determined look on his face.

   ‘It’s decided, then. When is your birthday, Amaya-san?’

   ‘September 16th.’

   ‘All right, then. If everything goes smoothly, we’ll be seeing each other again after 3 years, on September 16th.’

   ‘Will you be bringing your girlfriends along?’

   ‘I suppose I will, although there probably won’t be any difference.’

   ‘I don’t care. I just want to meet them.’

   ‘If you insist.’

   Now that the deal’s sealed, it’s time to bring Amaya-san home. Amaya-san and I will go back to the mansion by foot, while Greg will be tailing us from a distance while being invisible.

   Before we depart, we cleaned up the place as best as we could. I don’t know how we’re going to dispose of the futon, though.

   ‘I’ll just chuck it at someone’s backyard.’ Greg says.

   ‘I suppose that’s the only way. Please ensure that your hands are clean first, though. We don’t want your fingerprints on it.’

   ‘Got it.’

   And so, while Greg is off finding a random home to donate the futon, I escort Amaya-san back to her horrible parents. Their reactions upon seeing her again are just as you might have imagined.

   ‘YOU STUPID GIRL! DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH TROUBLES YOU’VE CAUSED US BY DISAPPREARING LIKE THAT?’ her mother shrieks at her.

   ‘THERE WERE TWO OIL TYCOONS, YOU IDIOT! EVEN A HIGH-RANKED JUDGE! AND WE MISSED THE CHANCE TO BEFRIEND THEM!’ her father adds angrily.

   Amaya-san bows low to apologize. ‘My deepest apologies, father and mother. I have been immature in my actions. I assure you that it will not happen again.’

   ‘You’d better, or you’re not getting out of this house ever again.’ her father says after he calmed down for a bit.

   And so, my clients’ request is completed. I didn’t get a single thanks, not even a glance. The Yamagata couple acted like I never existed.

   Tagawa-san, on the other hand, couldn’t stop thanking me for bringing Amaya-san back safe and sound.

   ‘By the way,’ she lowers her volume down to a whisper. ‘did you manage to see ojou-sama’s… you-know-who?’

   ‘I did.’ I also whisper. ‘Don’t worry. He’s a nice person. He’ll definitely make Amaya-san happy.’

   ‘I’m glad to hear that. But, her parents will definitely double down on their efforts to force her to marry someone of their liking, long before they have any chance of being together in public.’

   ‘You don’t have to worry about that either. We’ve hatched a plan while we were at her hiding place. Now all we do is wait until she’s an adult.’

   ‘Is that so? Well, I hope your plan will succeed.’

   ‘Thank you.’

   Greg was already waiting for me at the gate, having donated the futon away.

   ‘Shall we?’ I ask him.

   He nods. ‘Let’s go.’

   On our way to the Academy, Greg looks a bit pale, which is understandable, considering the fate that awaits him if the request is turned down.

   ‘If I didn’t make it, please tell Amaya that I had lots of fun with her for the past 2 years.’ he tells me.

   ‘...Alright.’

   I want to tell him that everything will be fine, but the reality is I’m not sure how things will turn out when we meet Principal Morifuji. It’s true that Greg has never mortally wound or kill a single person the entire time he was here, but it still doesn’t change the fact that he’s a Destroyer.

   When we reach the Academy, I bring him to the principal’s office. Principal Morifuji’s newly appointed secretary Tamai Nagisa-san is still sitting in front of her desk, so her boss is probably still here as well, but I ask about him anyway.

   ‘Good evening, Tamai-san.’ I greet her respectfully.

   ‘Oh, good evening to you too. How may I help you?’

   ‘Is Principal Morifuji still in his office? I would like to speak with him.’

   ‘The principal? Yes, he’s still around. Is it urgent?’

   ‘As a matter of fact, yes.’

   ‘All right. I’ll go inside and tell him that you wish to speak with him.’

   ‘Thank you.’

   Fortunately, Principal Morifuji was not busy enough to refuse visitors, and we were let in.

   After Greg and I are inside, I make a hasty introduction for the two of them. They acknowledge each other with a simple nod. I then tell Principal Morifuji of Greg’s…unique background, the fact that he’s a Destroyer, how he hasn’t been attacking humans for a long time, and how he’s in love with a human girl.

   Once I’m done, I quietly await his verdict.

   Principal Morifuji was silent the entire time I was talking. He didn’t change his expression at all, not even when I told him that Greg and Amaya-san are in love with each other. His poker face isn’t helping with the tension at all.

   ‘Greg-kun, is it? Kagenashi-kun here said that you haven’t been attacking humans ever since you got here. Is that true?’

   ‘Yes.’

   ‘How long is that “ever since you got here”?’

   ‘I believe that when I first arrived at this world, this country was experiencing something called a “bubble.”’

   ‘It has been more than 30 years then. And this entire time, you have been surviving off…?’

   ‘Drops of human blood that I secretly took from sleeping humans. Sometimes, I also eat human food.’

   ‘And how did you acquire the said human food?’

   ‘By helping them with work and getting money in exchange for the work. I then exchange the food with the money I got. There was some confusion at first, but I’ve learned to adapt in order to live in this world.’

   After asking all these questions, Principal Morifuji falls into a temporary silence, probably deciding on what to do with Greg. Eventually, he speaks again.

   ‘Greg-kun, as the principal of Royal Blade Academy, I hereby place you under its protection. In exchange, you are absolutely forbidden from harming humans, and you are to work here as a staff. A reasonable salary and accommodation of sorts will be provided for you. Is that fine with you?’

   Greg-san couldn’t get a better deal than this.

   ‘Yes, thank you very much!’

   Principal Morifuji nods. ‘It’s decided, then.’

   He calls Tamai-san inside with the phone on his desk and tells her everything that I’ve said and the decision he has made, then instructs her to show Greg to his room. At the next day, she is to tell Greg everything he needs to know in order to work here.

   Tamai-san acknowledges his orders and brings Greg outside, leaving me with the principal. Being alone with one of my girlfriends’ father is enough to give me a nerve-wreck, and it’s not helping that more than 3 minutes have passed after Greg and Tamai-san have left, and he has yet to give me the permission to leave.

   ‘It is really nice of you to drop by, Kagenashi-kun. I know it was for official business, but still.’ Principal Morifuji begins.

   ‘Does that mean that you’ve wanted to talk to me for some time now, sir?’ I ask.

   ‘Correct. You see, I wanted to talk to your relationship with Sakuya.’

   Uh-oh.

   ‘You are currently dating her, yes?’

   I gulp loudly. ‘Yes, sir.’

   Oh boy, I think I can tell what he’s gonna say or ask me next.

   ‘You are also dating 5 other girls at the same time, including your new homeroom teacher Maria Assaf-sensei.’

   ‘...Yes, sir.’

   Well, I guess we would be found out one of these days. I would love to give him an explanation, but nothing comes to mind. No matter how much I love the girls equally, no matter how willing are they to date the same guy, multi-timing is still multi-timing. I quietly await his next words.

   ‘When I first received words of this, I was…quite upset. Believe me when I say that no parents would ever want their daughter to share a man with a few others, even if all of them are willing to do so. I wanted to call you over immediately, but I decided to wait it out. Our discussion would not be a civilized one if one of us are blinded by anger.’

   ‘Right now, I am as calm as I can be. And you are right here. I think it is a good time as any to talk things out. Don’t you think so too?’

   ‘Yes, sir.’

   ‘Splendid. Now, do you have anything to say for yourself?’

   ‘Just one, sir. I do not regret my action.’

   ‘Oh? No excuse, no begging for forgiveness?’

   ‘I honestly doubt that you want to hear my pathetic excuses. As for forgiveness, I will never ask for it if I don’t think what I did was wrong. I decide to date all the girls who love me because I don’t want to hurt any of them. If all of them are fine with it, then I will continue to do so. No one else has any right to judge us for it, not even you, who’s Sakuya-senpai’s father.’

   I was expecting him to explode for real this time. Instead, he just smiles.

   ‘So you’re willing to fight the world if it’s not on your side, eh? I guess Sakuya does has a good taste when it comes to men.’

   His expression becomes serious again.

   ‘Honestly, I’m grateful to you. She looks so much happier nowadays compared to last time, when she was constantly overworking herself just to take care of others.’

   ‘Um, do you know the reason? Every time I ask her, she would just change the subject somehow or rather.’

   ‘Ah, so she didn’t tell you. She must really not want you to worry for her. You see, her mother and I were divorced when she was six.’

   That gave me a shock. No wonder her mother has never appeared in the original anime.

   ‘Ever since then, Sakuya has a tendency to take care of others. She’s probably trying to forget that she no longer has a mother by acting like one.’

   ‘While calling herself a big sister?’

   He shrugs. ‘She hates to be called old. Anyway, everyone around her always rely on her as well, since she is capable in most fields. That made her happy, even though the constant work is tiring her out.’

   ‘Which is why my other girlfriends and I do our best to assist her.’

   ‘Yes. As I said, I’m very grateful. I also notice that she’s showing more and more of her true feelings when you’re around. I just hope that one day she would throw away her facade and revert to her cheerful self.’

   ‘With all due respect, I don’t think her side of helping people out is a facade. Despite the way she constantly acts like a child whenever no outsider is around, she still has a caring side, and I don’t really think what she’s doing is a way to forget her mother.’

   ‘...You may be right. All these years of being her father, and I still failed to understand her. No wonder she rather stays at the dormitory than our house that’s practically empty.’

   ‘I’ll try to convince her to move back to your house.’ I promise him.

   He raises his eyebrow. ‘Even though that might decrease your time together?’

   ‘Even so. Even after everything I said, I still think that family comes first.’

   He sighs. ‘...I admit defeat. You truly are a man that deserve to take Sakuya away, even though I’ll never approve of what you’re doing.’

   ‘Sir, does that mean…?’

   ‘Yes. You can continue with your polygamy relationship. Just promise me three things. Never make Sakuya sad, make sure that the relationship stays healthy until all of you have graduated, and… remember to invite me when it’s time for your wedding.’

   I bow as low as I could. ‘Yes, sir. Thank you for your blessing. And I’m sorry for not telling you about it.’

   ‘There’s no need for apologies. It’s something that’s very difficult to be brought up, after all. Anyway, you can leave now.’

   ‘Yes, sir.’

   After I got back to my room, my girls are already waiting for me. I couldn’t tell them about my mission due to the injunction I swore in front of the Yamagatas, but I did told them about the fact that Principal Morifuji found out about our relationship.

   They immediately let out a collective gasp, even the usual calm Assaf-sensei and the all-knowing Madoka.

   ‘So, how did he take it?’ Sakuya asks worriedly.

   I tell them of our conversation, but leave out the part where Principal Morifuji told me about his divorce with his wife. We have enough things to worry right now.

   ‘… so I guess for now he’s approving our relationship.’ I conclude.

   ‘I hate to remind you, but you have to go through this for two more times.’ Assaf-sensei says.

   ‘Yes, sensei, I know.’

   ‘Um, I’ll help you with my father, Akira-kun.’ Yui tells me.

   ‘As will I.’ Ichika adds.

   I shake my head. ‘I appreciate your feelings, but this is something that I need to do alone.’

   Thankfully, the two of them understand and leave it at that.

   ‘Well, it’s getting late. All of you should go back to your room. Or house in Yui’s case.’ I tell them.

   All of them nod, except for Sakuya.

   ‘Akira-kun, can I stay a bit longer?’ she asks me.

   Her expression looks kind of serious, so I didn’t refuse her. The others saw her looks as well, which is why they left my room without saying a word.

   ‘My father probably mentioned my mother.’ Sakuya says after we’re alone.

   ‘A bit.’ I tell her honestly. ‘He told me that the two of them are divorced, and you didn’t feel like staying at your old home because of that.’

   Sakuya sighs. ‘Why can’t he just keeps his mouth shut?’

   ‘I guess he’s worried about you, senpai.’

   ‘I know. But still, I wanted to be the one to tell you that. Now it’ll look like I’m hiding things from you.’

   ‘What’s wrong with that? Everyone has a secret or two.’

   Especially me.

   ‘Well, if you’re fine with it…’

   ‘Don’t worry, I am.’

   That cheers her up at once.

   ‘Maybe I’ll bring you to visit her one day.’

   ‘Yes, one day.’

    ‘Well, good night, Akira-kun.’

   ‘Good night, senpai.’

   And so, Sakuya leaves the room too.

71