4. The First City
741 6 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"The permit will be one silver."

Aw, shoot.

I didn't have enough coins to enter the city.

I only manage to defeat a single slime, which only nets me a few coopers.

"I don't have enough for now—can I use my items as collateral? I would redeem it later."

"What do you have?"

I handed the guards a stack of berries from my belt bag.

"Keep the berries."

As such, they took my bag and handed the permit. Since I had the inventory, it's not a problem--I could stash everything in my clothes pocket.

Even if they took it, I would make enough money to buy another one—I don't have a special attachment to it.

I also asked them for directions and how to make money.

As usual, they recommended the Adventurers' Guild—I don't think it fits me. Going to dangerous places with people was too scary.

"Anything else?"

They also recommend the Worker's Union. You'd find various odd jobs pasted with a certain reward. It's all menial work for those strapped for money. Most of the jobs were only enough to last a meal.

One you'd always find were things no one would do with low pay—cleaning the chamber pots and sewers.

...but the work was perfect for me.

==

Entering the city, it really made me realize I was in a Fantasy world.

There were various races out there—walking and breathing in real life. Those with long ears; green skin; animal ears, along with a pair of thick and skinny midgets.

Weapon and Armor shops; Magic and Item shops, just like RPGs.

I also saw people dressed in rags and chained in collars.

I see—there are slaves in this world.

Contrary to what most believe, slavery still existed in modern Earth. There's always a loophole to enslave others. Such as working ungodly hours with low pay and no welfare.

The term 'Corporate Slave' existed for a reason.

Though I was just a nobody. I'm not here to change the world when I had no fucking idea how it works.

I just wanted to live at my own pace—not having to do with anything, if I could.

Anyway, I made sure to keep my hands in my pocket and avoid the back alleys. Eventually, I came to the Workers' Union safely.

There were a bunch of shirtless men that looked malnourished by the entrance.
They sat crouched on the patio, and the doors were closed shut.

The job boards were outside--filled with these cleaning requests, and an empty stall right beside.

I took several chamber pot cleaning jobs and put them on the stall's desk.

The guys only glanced at me but paid no interest. It took several minutes before the receptionist guy came, and approved my job.

He also said, while accepting jobs were free, you'd have to pay a penalty if you fail.

Also, you can only collect payment from the Union, not the client. Any violation will result in a fine.

Whatever.

After accepting the job, the System also issued a Quest, which was the exact same with the job board.

In addition, it would reward me with a decent EXP and cash. The same kind of quest was also repeatable.

Yay.

I decided to finish it in one go, starting from the nearest Inn. The owner guided me to the back, filled with a god-awful scent.

As soon as he left, I sucked its contents to my inventory and cleaned it with water magic.

It only took several minutes, but it drained my mana quickly.

[You have leveled up!]

Regardless, the level up restored my mana and health, enabling me to finish the remaining job. I didn't forget to return to the Union and finalize my work.

I gained several levels just from completing the Quest, and the amount of gold was enough to stay for a long time at the Inn. So I booked a room for a week. I didn't plan to stay for long.

It made me so happy, that I could become stronger without killing.

...but I also obtained something even better.

[Learned skill 'Transmutation'.]

The power to turn urine into gold.

Probably gold to urine as well.

==

Before the guards forgot, I redeemed my bag and paid the silver coin.

They were surprised by how quickly I made money; I lied, saying that I was into trading.

I was let off after a round of scolding. They said I could get a harsh fine if I set up a shop without registering in the Merchant's Guild.

The building was probably one of the most luxurious I've ever seen. Even the people were dressed in fancy clothes. Compared to the Adventurer's Guild, which I passed by, it's like Day and Night.

The seats were even made out of thick wood and leather; its walls and floors
from carved stones. An ornate chandelier hung high, with a trace of mana emanating from it.

It took one gold coin for a VIP registration, which I had about enough. It gave me the privilege to rent a stall, and the guild wouldn't take a percentage of my profits for themselves.

Although, when it came to trade commission from third parties, they will still gain a significant sum. Though it's not my problem, I just want to pull a bit of stunt and call it a day.

Lastly, I got a new skill by registering.

[Learned skill 'Trading'.]

...but first, I felt like taking a dump, after eating the Inn's lunch.

While the bread and soup were kinda tasteless, it felt better when I sprinkled spices and rock salt made from my Earth magic.

They might notice something strange when washing the dishes, but it's none of my business.

I went back to my room, and there's only a small room with curtains, a chamber pot, a bucket filled with water, and a washcloth.

No, they would be fucking angry if you wiped your ass with the cloth. I think it's for your body.

There wasn't any soap at all.

I hate this kind of toilet.

Which was kinda strange how they didn't even stink. Or did they bring their own soap from the Item Shop?

I'd better check it later.

What if I made a sitting toilet with Earth magic and a bidet system with my Water Magic?

Hmm...too troublesome.

In the end, I just conjured a stone chair with a wide hole, leading to the chamber pot. For the bidet, I just used water magic, but it's kinda hard to manipulate the output, so it wouldn't pierce my anus.

If there's a magic wand that could regulate my output, it'd be nice. I wonder what face they'd make if I said I just wanted to spray my ass.

These wands would probably worth several hundred golds, so it'd take a while.

Cleaning up my shit, there's now a good amount in my inventory.

Which led me to finally try the [Transmutation] feature of the System.

It can convert any item to points. You can buy stuff from the Shop with it.

[Converting...]

Holy shit.

The value was higher than I thought?

[Correction: Manure was the ingredient for a high-quality fertilizer. This value increased since the inhabitants knew to use mana.]

Let's see what I can buy from it.

Not bad.

It nets me a large bag of boiled potatoes.

Nice!

Time to level up the [Trading] skill, just as planned.

==

Learned Skill

[Transmutation]

[Trading]

[Poison Resistance] and [Intimidation] is greyed since they may not be relevant to the plot anymore.

"Was there no point in learning skills at all?"

[Heaven rewards the hard-working.]

"Don't dodge the question!"

In the end, it's just another story 'bout someone doing whatever they want, eh?

"I don't mind, Author."

You're welcome, MC-kun.

9