20. Evasion Healer
184 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

So yeah, about this town—I could say, it's pretty big—even more than my previous.

A lot of different races walked down the street: beastmen, elves, dwarves, orcs, and humans.

Its roads were neatly paved with clean air; the surge of mana made it rather sweet, I felt like taking deep breaths each time to savor it.

Horse carriages were galloping over, along with several flying creatures; mostly birds, and a few wyverns.

Despite that, it's not big of a deal to traverse on foot. Before long, I saw a giant, towering building. It had the crest of a sword against a shield—the Adventurer's Guild.

Beneath the Guild, was an enormous dungeon.

To this point, no one had ever reached the bottom-most part.

With no more risk to my life, I decided to enjoy my Isekai experience, at my own pace.

One of the joys of Isekai was becoming an adventurer and finding nice companions.

I actually didn't care if they're a guy or girl, as long they're trustworthy.

...but if they had a romantic interest on me, to the point of annoying and forceful, I'd cut them off.

[What about me?]

You're pretty cool, I guess.

System Imouto was a lot quieter than usual, but it's a good change of pace.

Well, I wasn't in a rush, so I booked the Inn near the guild and ordered the better rooms on the second floor. Since there's a labyrinth around, with several dungeons, I might stay around a month.

Just to be safe, I booked for a week—and would extend it later.

I wasn't in the mood to eat there, due to the presence of many loud, muscular adventurers.

Despite that, I could tell their meal's a lot better than my last Inn. It had the presence of spices, and it made me gulp my saliva.

I already had breakfast though. Lili also prepared me a bento, in case I couldn't return to my space for lunch.

While Lili's cooking was great, I might try the Inn's meal, after I was done with today's adventure.

I hope they wouldn't be lonely if I left them for a bit.

...and I should return to Earth from time to time. I was too focused on getting stronger, I forgot about them.

That aside, the stairways were pretty wide, and instead of the long corridors like the last inn, it's made a circular balcony. You could look down on the first floor from the walkway.

The floors were paved with rock, and it made a peculiar reverb, as my boots stepped in.

My room was quite far away, from the center walkway. It's at the corner most, with decent insulation.

A stone room, with a warm color. It had leather double-bed and pillows. The curtains covered the sun, giving it a cozy feel.

There were magic tools to cool down or heat things up; a metal cube placed in the upper part of the walls, just like air conditioners.

Aside from that, a magic lamp on the desk, and beside the bed. It had a special trunk and weapon racks.

The toilet's also an actual toilet, instead of chamber pots. You could sit there, on the ceramic bowl, and with a button, it would flush all the mess up. There wasn't a bidet though.

It also came with a bathtub, which you could fill with water from a valve, or just use water magic. If you unplug the cork on the bottom, it'd drain everything.

Well, it's day and night difference, from my previous city. It started to look like a place modern people could be comfortable with.

Since I already washed up, all that's left was checking myself out. Did I look like a novice adventurer? Would I stand out, like a sore thumb?

[I think it's more from your looks.]

I had the [Charm Concealment] skill though?

[Well, it doesn't seem to work on me—so I could only see you as a pretty girl.]

Actually, I was wondering—are you really a girl?

[Yup. I also love girls, is there anything wrong with that?]

...but since I'm a guy, does that mean you're actually straight?

[I don't think it matters since cute is justice.]

I couldn't agree more with that.

I love cute things as well.

...but how cute are you?

[I could say I'm pretty cute.]

Well, I look forward to seeing your human form someday.

[Yay.]

It's just a few minutes of walking, and the imposing place stood before me.

People mostly came in groups; it's like a mass LARP.

The giant double-doors were wide open.

==

"Sorry, lad. We don't accept the likes of you, now scram."

Right as I entered, I saw a young man with black hair and neat clothes.

If not for his demeanor, I wouldn't think he's someone from Earth, by that—I mean tapping the thin air like a madman.

"I'm sorry." he bowed at the bronze-armored adventurer and continue asking the others.

...but he was rejected time and time—because he's an evasion healer.

I could understand why people reject him.

The build was kinda risky, and this isn't a game.

There were several ways to counter evasion.

...and If he died, it's all over.

After several rejections, the young man sulked in the corner, and everyone ignored him.

That's when I came in.

"How's it going, bro?"

The young man sighed, "It's been several days and I could only take the lowest rank jobs. It's so tiring to do and the reward's not worth it. At this rate, the pity cash I got from the King will be gone."

His name's Makoto, a third-year student from Japan.

All the boring details aside, he's now trying to make a living as an adventurer.

[I think you skipped a lot of important details.]

It's fine, nobody cares about exposition.

"Aniki, are you one of the adventurers?"

"Ah, about that." I rubbed my hair, "I was going to register."

Makoto's face fell.

He scrutinized my gears, and probably used [Appraisal], but it shouldn't penetrate my [Fake Status].

I could see him looking more confused by the second.

"Well, good luck."

I tapped his shoulders and went to the receptionist.

I didn't like to start with menial quests like herb-gathering, so I revealed my status equivalent to a mid-level fighter.

As such, I started out as a C-rank Adventurer, I filled my class as [Battle Mage] since I wanted to fight with both arms and magic. My choice of weapon would be [Magic Rifle] due to my fascination with guns.

I immediately got offers to join several parties, I guess they love having [Battle Mages] since they're extremely versatile. They could deal with tons of damage, support + heal allies, and defend themselves.

...but I rejected them all.

"I already have a party, and I'm not comfortable working with strangers."

The invitations stopped immediately.

Although that Makoto eyed me with expectant gazes.

...but I said nothing, even when he followed behind me, on the quest boards.

Thank goodness, he was silent the entire time. If he muttered his opinion without me asking, I'd feel like slapping him.

I took the common requests first.

They should be easy enough for a C-rank party.

"Can I party with someone outside the guild?" I asked the receptionist.

I plan to get Rosa and Lili to join, in case they're bored at home.

"Certainly, you can. Although to take and submit requests, you must be a member."

That Makoto still followed me, even after I exited the guild building.

My opinion of him kept getting lower and lower.

It's only after he followed me to a quiet alley, I finally spoke.

"Just so you know, I'm not giving you any hopes."

"Is it because I'm an evasion healer?"

"Because you used [Appraisal] on me when I didn't even approve of it."

"I..."

"One of the things I hate the most is someone who tried to pry into my secrets. I don't doubt your potential, but with your character, I don't think we can get along."

[I don't like him either.]

"Even so, why did you approach me, if you're going to leave me alone just like that?"

I hate this kind of question because it wouldn't go anywhere.

"Because no matter what, you'd be fine without me. You're fine without others— believe in yourself."

After all, you're one of the main characters. You had a plot armor.

I guess, it ticked me off, when I saw myself in him. Especially when he relied on others too much, even when they treated him like shit.

If I knew it's going to be this way, I should actually ignore him, like everyone else.

"Thank you."

"Huh?"

"For believing in me, even though I never believed in myself."

He ran off, just like that, with a smile.

[Er...]

Did I ever tell him, I actually believed in him?

[You said, 'I don't doubt your potential'.]

Well, as long he's happy.

Now, all that's left was inviting Rosa and Lili.

While I could uncover the dungeon's depths using the Dragon's Eye, it's a lot more fun to just go step by step.

Hopefully, it'd be worth the effort.

It's MC's first meeting with an Isekai protagonist.

To be honest, I don't really like the character I'm basing on.

I don't plan on having them be his companion as well, but at least they'd get along, as long the protagonist wasn't too hateful.

...and yeah, I guess I released at a good date. 20th chapter at 20 september, 2020.

1