21. Peaceful Dungeon
165 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

From the quiet alley, I stopped time and hopped into the magical space.

Rosa seemed bored as hell; lying on the sofa, with her belly exposed.

While Lili looked outta it; aimlessly sweeping the floor.

Noticing me, the blue loli lit up, "Back already?"

"Arere..." Rosa rubbed her eyes, "Got anything?" the pink loli peeked behind the sofa, her tail's twitching.

"Do you girls want to explore dungeons? It'd be fun, like video games."

"No..." Rosa yawned, "VR is a lot better.."

While she sounded unwilling, her tail began to pace up.

"Father, I'll go." Lili pumped her fists, "I wish to put my studies to practice."

"Ehh..." Rosa made a O_O face.

"Don't be spoiled," Lili crossed her arms, and turned at me, "Father, I can I return before lunch?"

"Of course," I patted her head.

"Mmm..." Lili softened up; even if subtle, her smile was so calming.

...and Rosa pouted.

"I'll go, I'm a big girl." the pink loli got up her sofa, "I want Lili to pat me."

The blue loli gave us a thumbs-up.

I asked them if they'd like to hide their horns and tail, so it wouldn't bring too much attention.

"Mmm...I don't like crowds that much."

"If Lili said so, we'll just match up."

I also told them to limit their powers, so they wouldn't accidentally destroy the dungeon or something.

...and change into the clothes suited for adventuring.

With that in mind, we exited the space.

Rosa kept running ahead; curiosity filled her eyes.

While Lili kept her head down, just matching my pace.

They attracted a bit of attention since they're so cute, but it's nothing intrusive.

It didn't take long before we reached the dungeon entrance. It's right at the side of the Adventurer's Guild.

A light-armored baldy was guarding the entrance, he turned at me. "Your guild card, please."

I did such, and he gestured me to enter.

"My daughters also wanted to join. They may not look like it, but they're pretty strong."

Rosa flexed her arms, while Lili, with a red face, urged her to stop. It garnered some chuckle.

"Just go register at the guild or something."

"...but they're not old enough."

The minimum age to be an adventurer is fifteen, while they're only several days old. I'd become an old man when they came of age.

"Hmm..." the baldy tapped his chrome dome, "Whatever, the Guild isn't responsible for anything that happens within."

His voice apathetic; he even got time to leisurely pick his nose.

"Yay."

"Wait up, Rosa..."

Is it just me, or the guild seem overly lax with rules?

[Isn't that a good thing? Less hassle to deal with.]

Well, you're right.

==

Through the double doors, where a large space, with people trading several items.

Straight ahead was the cavern's mouth, between two torches.

What's beyond was pure darkness.

Several adventuring parties would line up, and enter the dungeon one by one. The long lines were formed, and they're too busy among themselves, to pay attention to us.

Judging by how several people brought their children around, it should be safe enough, at least on the first floors.

From what I knew, its layout would change, before anyone got to map it.

As time went by, it became more complex; more floors were added, and many different items can be found here.

No wonder adventurers from all over would flock here.

Their numbers grew so big, and so many people died while exploring the depths. After seeing so many tragedies, you'd eventually go numb, and think of them as mere statistics.

Eventually, it's our turn. I took Roaa and Lili's arms and stepped beyond the grey barrier.

[Blue skies, and vast grass plains? This place's more sophisticated than it seems.]

It's kinda similar to the Towers in Korean novels.

Several children and adventuring parties were playing with monsters, especially the slimes.

Unlike ones in the wild, they seem docile.

Here, you could find several nomadic villages. They reared monsters, and after some time, they'd slaughter them all for meat.

No signs of farming were present; they'd forage for plants instead.

Dungeons would reset from time to time; replenishing its drops and monsters.

While long-term buildings like houses and farmland were out, it wouldn't touch the people, or their tents, as they're recognized as equipment--not part of the dungeon itself. Although the tamed monsters won't reset.

I guess there'd be a considerable amount of tamers, to be able to make a safari and petting zoo.

Rosa eyed one of the slimes, but she seemed rather down.

She was afraid of accidentally killing the slimes when trying to pet it.

"We might need to find a stronger one, like metal slimes, for example?"

Since it was immune to physical attacks, it's probably good enough to be Rosa's pillow.

"Here," behind me, Lili carried a shining blue slime, "I already cast various buffs on it. Hug it to your hearts' content. It won't die, probably..."

"Uuu..."

The pink loli's face was red, but she still took the blue blob and squeezed it.

The gelatinous body contorted and twisted in surreal ways; the contrast with Rosa's wide, innocent smile made it scarier.

Fortunately, it survived, although when it's put down, the blob just laid there weakly--I could see its soul floating right above its body.

It's soon picked up by the tamer.

"Ah, I apologize for that, my daughter is a bit..."

'Don't worry about that, it's free of charge." the young man laughed, "It's just one of the common monsters we found on the lower floors."

The reason why they made the petting zoo, was to make people, especially the children happy. The influx of positive emotions would in turn produce a bountiful result during the next reset.

If they could keep such positivity, the lower floors would be habitable as well, but so far, only the first floor was safe.

"To us, the most important thing isn't material wealth, but to stay happy and positive."

"It's the principle that works everywhere."

...although I wouldn't say material wealth isn't important.

"Well said!"

Rosa and Lili went to the other children and played around with them.

Both seem to be popular with girls, although a few boys were present.

"It just came to me, but I never expect a dungeon to be so...peaceful."

"It wasn't like that during our ancestor's time," the tamer took off his hat, and took a deep breath, "Every day was fight after fights, and we have to stay here since we have nowhere else to go."

Summing up, due to power and love and friendship over a long time, the once hostile lands became habitable.

...but was it really the truth?

It's common for legends and folklores to be severely exaggerated.

[It sounds bullshit if you asked me.]

Though I have to break your bubble—even with exaggerations, it's a true story.

The people's collective thought indeed, are able to shape a paradise.

[...but is it really simple? No matter how positive you seem, it wouldn't stop life from treating you like garbage.]

True.

...but if you focus more on the joyful things, life will get much, much bearable.

Their history was laden with hardships, and they'd want to get over that.

No matter what happens, it's never wrong to always hope.

In the worst-case scenario, it's better to live my life with happiness, than resentment and fury.

That doesn't mean I will just accept when life treated me like shit, but it's up to me, to give payback however I wish.

I just don't like to be angry.

Whenever those emotions flooded me, it's like something trash-tier tried to take over me, and make me become a piece of shit.

That's why, if I were to finally exact vengeance, it'd be with smile and happiness, even I'd end up torturing them to death. From start to finish, I'd engross myself, in the most pleasant feeling.

Until I was able to do that, it's best not to care about things I hate.

[You've been through a lot.]

Guess so.

With this peaceful scenery, it might be nice to stay a bit longer.

...and so, I went to their cafe and ordered a cup of tea and some biscuits.

Watching my daughters play with the young ones, it's so relaxing.

Hopefully, Rosa and Lili wouldn't end up killing a child or two.

It'd be a hassle to attempt revival spell in the open. Especially if they end up becoming undead, who could only spout dead memes.

Since I felt comfortable and no one paid attention to me, I took out my phone and went to the messenger app.

There's a text from my little sister, Youko.

[Onii-chan, doing well in another world? If you're not busy, we'll have a family outing soon. Message me back when you have time.

3 days ago.]

In the end, I just typed, "Yes"

Followed with, "By the way, do you have a penis or two?"

I think, I got my inspiration again.

The last chapter felt so unsatisfying--I really shouldn't reference the stories I disliked.

3