A Taste of Dysphoria – Ch.1 – The Argument
1.2k 6 54
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

=:= Maria =:=

Maria had just pulled out of the parking lot at work when her phone started buzzing.

She glanced at her car's infotainment screen, to check the call display. A moment later she tapped the 'Accept' button on the steering wheel as she navigated Monday night rush-hour traffic.

"Hello Samantha, what's up?"

Sam was co-founder of the LGBTQIA+ support group where Maria did some volunteer work. She was also Priestess of the coven Maria belonged to. She first learned of the existence of magic about eighteen months ago, but it wasn't until last summer that she was finally initiated, joining Sam and Nikki and the other witches.

Sam replied, "Hi Maria! I just wanted to confirm that you'll be over here tomorrow evening? I know we just had the full moon sabbat last week, but it's Midsummer Solstice tomorrow..."

Maria replied, "Yes, I'll be there Samantha. About six o'clock, will that work?"

"That's perfect Maria. Nikki will make something nice for dinner, then we'll do the sabbat ceremony after that."

"Sounds good Sam. See you then." Maria tapped the 'End' button and kept her focus on the traffic. She was on her way to visit with her brother's family this evening.

It was a bit unusual for David to invite her for dinner without a holiday or birthday to celebrate. She hadn't seen her brother in about six months, since the winter holidays. Even though they only lived about thirty minutes' drive apart, they both tended to be busy.

David was a corporate lawyer and last she'd heard, he was putting in extra hours at work, hoping to be made a partner in the firm. His wife Elizabeth was a real-estate agent, before she retired to raise their two children, Amanda and Lucas. Between work and family, David usually didn't have a lot of spare time for other things.

And she and David generally didn't go out of their way to make time for each other. They weren't unfriendly, but her older brother tended to be a little backwards in his ideologies, as far as Maria was concerned.

She finally pulled into the driveway of her brother's large suburban home. She was only two minutes late.

Liz answered the door a minute or two after she rang the bell, greeting Maria politely.

Elizabeth was around the same age as Maria, in her mid- to late-thirties. She was about average height and was conventionally attractive, with a slim figure, fair skin, shoulder-length blonde hair, and blue eyes. This evening she was wearing a pair of slacks and blouse.

They went straight into the dining room, where dinner had just been served.

Maria greeted her niece and nephew first. Amanda and Lucas both seemed happy to see her, though she could immediately sense something was off with her nephew. She couldn't put her finger on it, but there was something.

Lucas turned twelve in the spring. His eyes were blue like his mother's, and his hair was the same light blond. He got her fair skin too. He was wearing track-pants and a t-shirt. His hair was normally kept quite short, but tonight it was looking a little shaggy, like he was a month or so overdue for a trim. Maria thought he seemed a little more shy and subdued since the last time she'd seen him, he didn't say anything more than a quiet "Hello" to her.

Amanda would be sixteen in August, and was almost as tall as her mother. She was slim as well, but filling in nicely as she grew. Her hair was blonde, but not as light as Liz's. Amanda's was longer, hanging down a few inches past her shoulders. Her skin had a slightly more tanned look to it, and her eyes were hazel. She was wearing a t-shirt and skinny-jeans this evening.

Finally, she greeted her brother David, and apologized for being a few minutes late.

Her brother was a few years older than her. Like Maria, he had a somewhat tanned complexion. His hair was a bit lighter than hers, being more of a brown than a black. His eyes were brown like her own. He was about six inches taller than her, nearly six feet tall, but was slim and kept himself in good shape.

Normally when she visited, he'd be dressed more formally but tonight he was wearing bluejeans and a loose t-shirt. Maria found it a bit ironic this time she was overdressed. Having come straight from work she was wearing a skirt and blouse, tights and heels.

"It's ok sis. We're glad you could make it." He smiled. There was a little tension in his voice though, and Maria wondered if he was really that put out that she was a couple minutes late.

The food was fine but the meal seemed a little strained. There wasn't a lot of talking. Amanda was the most talkative, with lots to say about school and exams, and how much she was looking forward to both of those things being over soon.

Maria still wasn't sure what was up with her nephew, but Lucas remained a little quieter than usual. And David was still a bit tense too. Maria started to wonder if there was something wrong with the boy, that had his father on edge as well.

After dinner, David had the two kids clear the table, and then Liz went into the kitchen to do the dishes.

Finally alone with her brother, Maria asked quietly "Ok David, what's going on? Is there something wrong with Lucas? Is that why you wanted to see me?"

David stood up and motioned for Maria to follow. He led her into the living-room, where he sat down in his favourite leather chair. Maria settled into the sofa on his left.

"Just over a week ago, Lucas asked to have a 'talk' with Liz and I." David said, his voice low. "He told us he was really a girl, and he wanted to change his name to Jennifer. Or Jenny, for short."

Maria felt her eyebrows going up, and a mix of emotions washed over her. She'd worked with quite a few young trans people, both through her own counselling clinic, and through the support group. She had reams of information that she could share, advice, guidance, everything. This wasn't a stranger or a client though, this was her family, her nephew. She mentally corrected herself, this was her niece.

"Oh... Wow, ok David, I can imagine you and Liz are going through a lot right now. Does Amanda know yet?"

"No." He shook his head. "I asked Lucas to keep it to himself for now. He... Lucas wants to start 'changing' over the summer. If he had his way, he'd get his name changed and all that, so when he goes into grade eight in September, he'll be pretending to be a girl..."

As her brother spoke, Maria let out a long, slow, uncomfortable sigh. "David. When someone is trans, they aren't 'pretending' to be anything. Her name is Jenny, she's a girl. She's your daughter."

David started rubbing his chin, looking a little frustrated. "How can you say that, Maria? You haven't even talked to him about this. You don't know any of this stuff."

She sighed, "I've worked with dozens of young trans people David. It's part of my job. I've also kept up-to-date on the science, the best-practices. If she says she wants to be a girl, then she's a girl. If she says her name's Jenny, then that's how we should address her."

Her brother shook his head. "Maybe, for other people. You don't know Lucas though. He's not like that."

Maria sighed again. "Well what is it you want to do then, David? How do you expect to deal with this?"

"I'm not telling him he's wrong or anything, and I'm not going to forbid him from this stuff... But I'm not going to let him do anything drastic while he's still a child. Once he's grown up, once he's old enough to make decisions for himself, then he can do what he wants. For now, for the summer anyways, he can let his hair get a bit longer, and maybe wear some of Amanda's old clothes around the house..."

Maria shook her head. "That's not supportive, David. That's the opposite of supportive. Right now, Jenny has the best chance of things going well for her. Get her started on blockers, before the wrong puberty starts changing her body."

"I'm not giving my child drugs, Maria." David's voice was stern.

"I'm not talking about hormones, or anything like that." Maria kept her voice low as she explained, "Blockers will just delay puberty. They don't put children on hormones, and they don't do surgery to children. This will just mean there won't be any painful, irreversible changes happening in the meantime."

The two of them looked up as Liz entered the room. She took a seat across from Maria, in one of the wingback chairs. "I've sent Lucas and Amanda upstairs. Amanda will be studying, Lucas is getting ready for bed."

Maria looked at her sister-in-law, "Liz, how do you feel about Jenny's situation?"

She sighed, "I don't know, Maria. I'm still trying to come to terms with it. I've been doing some reading, some research." She glanced at her husband, then added, "Ultimately though, I think I'm going to along with what David says."

Maria took a deep breath, then she started explaining to Liz the same things she'd been saying to her brother. She promised to email them both some to up-to-date information and the latest studies, so they'd both understand.

Liz seemed receptive, willing to listen. And she promised to look at whatever Maria sent her. David though remained firm.

Eventually Liz excused herself, to head upstairs to check on the kids.

Maria continued trying to sway her brother.

"David, what is it you're afraid of? Why won't you even let her change her name?"

He shook his head, "He's just a kid. I keep trying to tell you that. He's just a kid, he doesn't know what's what. What if this is just a phase or something? We go through all the hassle and paperwork of changing his name, updating records, all that stuff, then six months or a year down the road he changes his mind and wants to change it all back."

Maria sighed, "As I've already explained, it's incredibly rare. A fraction of a percent? And even that isn't a good estimate, because most times when someone decides to de-transition it's because they didn't get the support they needed."

He just shook his head again.

Maria frowned. After a pause, she asked "David, why did you even ask me over here, if you weren't planning on listening to a word I had to say?"

Her brother frowned back at her. "I was hoping you'd hear me out, listen to my side of the situation. I was hoping you'd understand, this is my son we're talking about. Instead all you've done is go on about numbers and statistics and LGBT propaganda. I thought maybe once you understood my concerns, then maybe you could help me explain things to Lucas. You're the one who's not listening, Maria."

She closed her eyes and took a deep breath, then looked at him. "David, I can see this is going to be very hard for you to accept, but none of this is about you. It's not about listening to you. It's especially not about your feelings. It's about your child. If Jenny is trans, and from what you and Liz have said, it sounds like she is, then she's not your son. She's your daughter and she always has been, you just didn't know it until now. And yes, I know it's confusing and upsetting for you, but as her father, you need to put all of that aside and just focus on how best to help her."

David just shook his head slightly, "You said 'if he's trans'. I don't believe he is. That's what I keep saying, I think he's confused and I was hoping you could help me get him straightened out."

Maria shook her head, "I'm not going to tell your child what she's feeling is wrong, what she's thinking is wrong. I'll talk with her, listen to what she has to say, and help her examine and explore what those thoughts and feelings mean. And I can help you understand as well." She added, "And if that means she's trans, then I'm going to recommend to you and Liz, and most of all to Jenny, that she should go ahead with her transition."

"I already said we're not doing anything premature." David stated. "I'm not going to go through the paperwork and hassle of a change-of-name just because a confused twelve-year-old thinks he wants to be a girl for a while. If he changes his mind, it's even more work to have the paperwork all changed back again."

"Well, what about the blockers?" Maria asked, "There's no risk there. If she changes her mind she simply stops taking them."

David shook his head once more. "No."

"Why not?" Maria asked, trying not to let on how exasperated she was feeling.

"He's just confused. He's a kid. Once he starts to become a man, he'll understand. Delaying that, will just keep him confused longer."

Maria couldn't believe her ears. It's like he hadn't heard a single thing she'd said all evening.

"Oh my god David is that what you think?!" Maria glared at her brother. "That by forcing your child to go through the wrong puberty, she'll forget about being trans? That's not how it works!"

She couldn't believe how obstinate he was being. "I know the numbers David! You're playing games with Jenny's life! Studies have shown time and time again that kids who get positive support and are allowed to transition are happier and healthier. The ones who don't have a much higher suicide rate, they drop out of school, run away from home..."

David rolled his eyes. "That just sounds like a lot of your usual alarmist fear-mongering. There's no harm in Lucas waiting till he's eighteen."

"No harm?!" Maria almost yelled. "You'd be condemning Jenny to permanent, irreparable damage, by forcing her to go through the wrong puberty! There's changes that will happen, that can't be fixed when she's eighteen!" She tried to get her emotions under control. "And by misgendering her, and insisting on using her deadname, you're just reinforcing the fact that she's not going to get support from you."

David shook his head. "He's my son Maria. I get that you're concerned, but at the end of the day, it's none of your business. Liz and I make the decisions. When he's eighteen, he can do what he wants."

Maria glared. "You have no idea how much suffering you're going to put her through."

"He's not suffering, he's confused." David stated in his patronizing tone. "He's just a kid, Maria. He doesn't know what he wants."

"Dysphoria is real, David." Maria stated. "It's real and it eats at people. It's not always obvious, but it's persistent and it kills people."

Her brother rolled his eyes again. "Maybe, for some people. Lucas is fine. He'll be fine. Anyways, how bad can it be? He's been a boy for the past twelve years, another six won't hurt him."

Maria was getting more frustrated, and having trouble keeping her emotions under control. "David... I'm begging you, let her transition. Let her change her name like she wants, let her start on blockers. It's extremely rare but if by some chance she does change her mind, then all she'd have to do is stop taking them, and nature will take its course. But if you make the choice for her and it's wrong, there's no undoing what's going to happen. She'll never forgive you."

David just shook his head. "My mind's made up, sis. When he's eighteen he can do what he wants, but till then, the answer is no. I just don't think it's anywhere near as bad as you say, anyways." He then added, "You've been spending too much time talking with the LGBTQ types. Talking with too many trans people, you've let them cloud your judgement."

Maria stated angrily, "You haven't spoken to any trans people, and yet you think you're the expert! Damnit David, I'm not going to sit idly by. What you're talking about is child abuse, plain and simple."

"Bullshit." David stated. He was starting to raise his voice now as well, growing angry in response to Maria's tone. "I just don't think this stuff is anywhere near as serious as you're making it out to be. Now look, it's getting late Maria. It's been an interesting discussion, but I think it's time you left."

Maria was fuming. He didn't think it was serious?! She knew this was a bad idea, an abuse of power, but damnit he had to be made to understand.

She glared at him, "David, you're my brother and I love you, but I can't let you do this to Jenny. You don't think being trapped in the wrong body is that big a deal? We'll see how you like it for a while."

David frowned at her, "What the hell are you talking about now?"

Maria was already reciting the spell, focusing on her brother. She felt the power surge through her, and her brother was engulfed in shimmering light for a few moments.

When the glow faded, instead of David there was now a small, very confused-looking girl sitting half buried in her brother's clothes.

The girl looked up at Maria with her eyes wide, and squeaked "What the fuck?!"

Maria's head was throbbing now. She knew as soon as she cast the spell that she'd overtaxed herself. The stress of arguing with her brother for the past hour didn't help either.

She'd never really intended to use magic, so she'd hadn't been taking her training and practicing that seriously. She really only joined the coven to put herself in a better position to help the other witches there, and to ensure there was more mutual trust between her and the others.

Maria got to her feet, then looked down at her brother and sighed.

"You said you didn't believe dysphoria was that big a deal. Well now you can try it out for yourself, David. You're stuck with the body of a twelve-year-old girl. I'll be back in a couple days to finish our conversation, and see if you've changed your mind about how bad it can be, trapped in the wrong body."

David stood up, his jeans and underwear immediately slipped down to the floor. Luckily the t-shirt he had on was almost long enough to be a dress on his small body. In a small high-pitched voice, he demanded "What the fuck Maria?! How did you even do this?! You can't fucking leave me like this!"

Maria sighed, "Keep your voice down, David. I'll see you in a couple days." She rubbed her aching head as she turned and headed for the door. Behind her, she could hear Liz coming into the living-room from the kitchen. Maria hurried out the front door, closing it behind her.

She got into her car and pulled out of the driveway, then started for home. She was feeling weary now, and was beginning to have second-thoughts about what she'd just done. However, she knew she was too drained to do anything about it.

It would be a few days before she'd recovered enough to work the spell again and turn her brother back to normal.

If you're enjoying our work and you'd like to support us, please consider joining our patreon & get early access to new chapters!
https://www.patreon.com/purplecatgirl

54