A Taste of Regret – Ch.3 – Love, Hate
839 5 49
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

:=: Amanda :=:

Amanda paced back and forth in the hall, waiting for her sister. She knew Sadie was on her way, they'd exchanged a few texts this morning. They'd also exchanged some texts last night, so she knew Sadie had spent the night with aunt Maria.

She was glad for that, she'd been afraid her sister would wind up having to spend the night on the street or something. After she heard from her twin last night, she tried to tell her mom that Sadie found somewhere safe to stay but mom hadn't been interested.

That was the most upsetting thing of the whole night. It was like mom didn't even care any more. Mom was acting as if the past year hadn't happened and she didn't have a daughter named Sadie.

Amanda hoped it was just because mom had got so angry last night. She hoped that after a day or two, when things calmed down, that Sadie could come back home and everything would go back to normal again.

The hall was starting to get a bit crowded as it got nearer to first bell, more and more students coming in and visiting their lockers. Amanda stopped pacing and just stood leaning against the wall next to her twin's locker, as she kept scanning the hall for her sister.

Finally she spotted her brunette twin approaching. She sighed a little in relief, glad to see her sister had made it. Sadie looked tired though, she didn't have any make-up on, and she was wearing the same clothes as yesterday, of course.

Amanda pulled her sister into a hug, "Hi sis, how are you doing?"

Sadie hugged her back, and sighed. "I'll survive. How about you? And how's Jenny?"

Amanda glanced around the crowded hallway. They were surrounded now by other students as everyone was here getting ready for their first classes.

"Let's talk somewhere quiet." Amanda led her sister into the nearest washroom.

She checked that the stalls were all empty, then looked back at Sadie. "After you left, me and Jenny had a big fight with mom. We both demanded she tell us what the fuck was going on."

Sadie sighed, "I hope you two didn't get in trouble because of me..."

Amanda shook her head, but said quietly, "Mom told us that what happened to you last summer was all aunt Maria's fault. She said aunt Maria cursed you, did something to you that messed up your head. That aunt Maria made you want to change and everything. She said that everything that's happened to you since then was because of aunt Maria."

Sadie sounded slightly angry as she stated, "That's not how it happened last summer. Not even close. Mom's making it all sound way worse than it was."

"Yeah I figured as much." Amanda nodded. "I know as well as you do how mom is when she gets mad like that."

Amanda paused, then quietly added "Mom also told us about Ashley, that aunt Maria changed her too like she did to you."

Sadie frowned, looking a little more angry. "She shouldn't have said anything about Ashley." She then whispered, "Ashley wasn't like me at all... She was like Jenny, that's all there is to it. Please keep her out of it ok?"

Amanda nodded, "Ok sis. I know Jenny won't say anything, and I won't either."

Sadie nodded, "Thanks sis."

"Anyways Sadie," Amanda said softly, "Me and Jenny don't care about that stuff. Whatever happened last summer with aunt Maria, it doesn't matter to us. You're our sister now. We don't care how or why, or what aunt Maria did or didn't do. None of that stuff matters to us as long as you're happy now. And I know you're happy like this."

"Thanks Amanda..." Sadie whispered. She looked like she was going to cry.

Amanda pulled her into another hug. She whispered, "I brought a bag full of your clothes and make-up and stuff. It's in my locker. I hope mom calms down and you can come home soon, but I figure you'd need stuff while you're staying with aunt Maria."

Sadie whispered again, "Thank you, Amanda..." She asked, "Did you and Jenny drive this morning?"

Amanda shook her head, "Mom took away my driving privileges for a while."

"I'm sorry..." Sadie sighed. "I'm sure aunt Maria will give you and Jenny a ride home. She's going to come and pick me up after classes, since her place is so far away."

The two girls were interrupted by the bell ringing. Amanda sighed, "We should get going before we're late. We'll talk more at lunch ok?"

Sadie nodded, "Ok. Thanks again sis."

Amanda just nodded, and the two hurried out of the washroom to get to class before the second bell.

It was hard to concentrate on her morning classes, with so much going on with her family.

When lunchtime finally came, Amanda hurried to the cafeteria.

She spotted Jenny and Sadie together in the hall just outside the cafeteria, and quickly joined them.

"Hey Amanda," Sadie said as she approached. "Ashley's getting us a quiet spot to sit so we can all talk at lunch."

Amanda nodded, and the three went in to get lunch together. Soon enough they were sitting at the end of a table in a quiet corner, the three sisters and Ashley.

"I've never seen mum this mad before." Jenny said, pouting a bit. "She was still mad this morning, too."

Sadie sighed. "I think she's been like, bottling this stuff up since it all started last summer..." She kept her voice low, as she said "She never wanted me to change. I think she's been angry since then, and just like, kept it suppressed. Now it's all coming out at once..."

"I just hope she gets over it soon," Amanda sighed.

Sadie then looked to her girlfriend and said softly, "Ashley I'm sorry... Mom found out about you from my diary, and she told Amanda and Jenny last night."

Amanda quickly added, "Don't worry, we won't say anything."

Jenny nodded in agreement, "I won't tell."

Ashley sighed but nodded, "Thanks Amanda. Thanks Jenny. I mean... Probably no-one would believe it anyways, but you never know."

Any further discussion on that topic ended as Ben joined them, pulling up a seat next to Amanda.

"Hey girls. Why are we all sitting off in the corner here today?"

Amanda smiled and gave him a hug, "Hey Ben. Me and Jenny needed to talk with Sadie. Mom's still being a bitch and stuff today."

Ben sighed, looking at the brunette. "Amanda told me you got kicked out last night. That really sucks, I didn't think your mom was like that."

Sadie nodded slightly, "Thanks. Yeah mom's gone a little crazy. Hopefully she'll calm down soon..."

Amanda then said, "Before afternoon classes, lets get your stuff out of my locker ok Sadie? I don't want to forget by the end of the day."

"Ok, good idea." Sadie nodded.

The group ate a little more quickly, and then they all followed Amanda back to her locker.

As she opened her locker, Amanda said to her sister "I know you said aunt Maria would drive me and Jenny home, but I was thinking, that's probably not a good idea. If mom found out somehow, it'd just make her even more angry I think."

Sadie sighed, "Yeah, I guess you're right..."

Ben offered, "I'll drive Jenny home. Then maybe you and me can hang out a bit?" He smiled.

Amanda smiled back, "Ok. Thanks Ben."

She handed the heavy gym bag to her sister, saying "I hope there's enough clothes and stuff there, and I think I got all your favourite make-up, and everything else you'll need."

Sadie took the bag and said "I'm sure it's fine. Thanks again for doing this, Amanda."

"Next time you run away, you should pack first." Ashley teased a little.

"I wasn't planning on running away." Sadie sighed. "I just wanted to get out for some air, take a walk or something. Mom's the one who said I wasn't allowed to come back."

Ashley sighed as well, "Sorry..."

Sadie nodded, "It's ok." She looked to Amanda again and then pulled her into a hug. "Thanks again sis."

Amanda nodded, "Any time."

Jenny and Sadie hugged as well, and then Sadie said, "I'd better get this into my locker, I don't wanna be lugging it around to afternoon classes."

She and Ashley then headed off together towards Sadie's locker, while Jenny and Ben both stayed with Amanda.

Amanda sighed a little as she watched her sister. She hoped mom would calm down soon, but she had a feeling it was going to take a few days at least.

:=: Ashley :=:

Ashley paced a little as she waited. She was on the steps infront of the school, so pacing was more like going up and down the five stairs. She checked the time on her phone. It was almost quarter to nine, so Sadie should be here any minute now.

It was Friday morning, and last night was the fourth night in a row that Sadie had stayed with her aunt Maria. Four days since her mom had kicked her out.

Ashley still found it hard to believe Sadie's mom hadn't let her come home yet, though after everything Sadie told her Monday night it was a little less of a shock. She known for months that her girlfriend's mom was uptight, and now she sort of understood why. Or at least it made a bit more sense, but she didn't really understand. She just couldn't wrap her head around Sadie's situation.

She'd known Sadie was trans like herself, and that Sadie's aunt Maria had fixed things for her the same way she did for Ashley. She and Sadie had been dating for almost five months now, and in all that time she'd never had any reason to suspect her girlfriend had originally been an adult more than twice her current age.

She remembered thinking last spring that Sadie seemed a little more mature than other teens their age, but that was more like at sixteen she came across as eighteen or nineteen. Ashley didn't even have that impression any more, though. As far as she could see, Sadie didn't act any older or more mature than Amanda.

About the only thing she did sort of understand, was how it would have freaked-out Sadie's mom. She couldn't really imagine what that would have been like, but she knew it would have been a shock for the woman to have her husband become her daughter...

Except, Amanda and Jenny would have gone through that too, having their dad become their sister, and they both accepted it ok. Ashley had seen how close the three girls were, the way they all looked out for each other.

Ashley finally just sighed and shook her head. She didn't need to understand it, and she certainly wasn't going to solve anything herself. She would just be here for Sadie and do what she could to help.

At last she spotted Maria's car, as it pulled up infront of the school. Sadie emerged holding her backpack, and turned to say something to her aunt before closing the door. She waved, and the car pulled away again.

Ashley smiled as she moved to greet her girlfriend. They shared a quick hug as she said, "Good morning!"

"Hi Ashley." Sadie smiled back, then they headed up the stairs together and into the school, going to Sadie's locker.

• • • • •

At lunchtime it was the five of them sitting together once again. Ashley was next to Sadie of course, and Amanda was there with Ben, sitting across from them. And Jenny was there too, sitting on the other side of Sadie.

Lunch was really the only time the three sisters had to just relax and talk together now, and Ashley felt a bit guilty for wanting to intrude on that. But it was also the only chance she had to spend time with Sadie, since Maria was dropping her off and picking her up after school.

She was hoping though that they could spend some time together over the weekend, even if it was just hanging out at the mall or something.

At the moment, Amanda was talking quietly to her twin. "I brought another two bags of your stuff, Sadie. It's in my locker. I'm seriously worried mom's gonna start throwing it all out. She said something this morning about 'clearing out the guest room'..."

Jenny nodded sadly, "I don't think she's gonna let you come home, sis..." She sounded really upset.

"Thanks Amanda," Sadie sighed as well, "I hope you're wrong Jenny. Maybe mom just needs some more time."

They all ate quietly for a bit.

Ashley finally asked "Do you wanna get together tomorrow, Sadie? Maybe we could meet for lunch, then see a movie? Or even just hang out at the mall or whatever?"

Sadie sighed again, "I don't know, Ashley. I doubt I'll be much fun to hang out with, and I don't really feel like a movie or anything. Kinda too uptight and stressed..."

"Ok Sadie." Ashley tried not to let her disappointment show. "I understand. I hope things get better soon."

Sadie leaned closer, pressing her shoulder against Ashley's. "Sorry Ash. I'll call you tomorrow and Sunday so we can talk, I promise. Maybe things will be better next week."

"Have you talked to your mom at all since she kicked you out?" Ben asked.

His question led to another long deep sigh from Sadie. "Not yet. I've called a few times, but she won't answer, and she's not returning my texts either."

Ben frowned, "Sorry."

The three sisters all looked glum, and Ashley was frowning now too. It felt like there was nothing any of them could do to fix this.

:=: Elizabeth :=:

It was just past seven o'clock as Liz pulled into the lot outside the restaurant. She'd spotted James's Porsche and parked her Corvette in an available spot only two spaces away.

It was Friday night and this had been a very aggravating week, so when he'd suggested they get together for dinner she jumped at the invitation. After Sadie had walked out on Monday, she'd had nothing but complaints and arguments from Amanda and Jenny.

She was almost at the point where she didn't even want to go home after work, which was bullshit because it was her damned house. She hated that her girls had taken Sadie's side and now they were trying to make her feel like she was the one in the wrong.

She picked up her purse and headed inside, and found him waiting for her just inside the doors.

"Liz!" He smiled, "I'm so glad you could make it!" He pulled her into a hug, kissing her on both cheeks.

Seeing him immediately lifted her spirits a little. She smiled and hugged him back, "James, you don't know how much I need this."

His expression became serious, "Rough week? Let's sit down, then we can talk."

They were soon settled into a booth. It was a fairly posh restaurant, and the ambience here was quiet and private. The booths were almost like small private rooms with dark wood panels reaching up to the ceiling, completely separating each table from the next.

James immediately ordered a bottle of wine, then asked, "Now, tell me what's going on."

The look of concerned interest on his face helped dissolve some of Liz's stress. She sighed, looking back at him for a few moments, just happy to be with him again.

James was tall, standing about six feet high. He was slim but not skinny, with a fair amount of muscle, but not overly so. He was a few years younger than herself, in his early thirties. He had dark hair and eyes, and an olive complexion. His hair was short, though usually slightly messy, as if he'd just come in out of a high wind. And he tended to always look like he hadn't shaved in two or three days, although on him it looked handsome and rugged, rather than just lazy.

Today he was wearing new blue jeans and a white t-shirt, under a black blazer. Once again it might have looked lazy on other men, but James could pull it off.

Liz was still just staring at him when the waiter returned with the wine. He opened the bottle and poured a splash for James, who had a sip then nodded. The waiter then poured a glass for Liz, and topped up James's glass, then left them alone.

Finally Liz replied, "It's the girls. They've been driving me absolutely crazy lately..." She sighed, and had a sip of her wine. "Monday night we had an argument, and Sadie ran away from home. She's staying with her aunt now."

James listened quietly, looking concerned as Liz kept talking.

"Then after Sadie left, both Amanda and Jenny sided with her. They've been on me day and night since then. I swear James, I feel like all three girls have turned against me..." The stress was creeping back now that she was talking about her problems.

He had some wine as well and sighed, "Liz I'm really sorry. I know it must be tough raising three kids by yourself..."

She sighed deeply, "You have no idea."

"Why did Sadie leave, did she say?"

Liz hesitated. God she wished she could tell him everything. She'd had to stay quiet and deal with this stuff by herself for over a year now. She wished she could tell him how her husband had been cursed and his mind corrupted by his sister and the other witches. How they'd taken David from her and left her Sadie instead.

She wanted to tell him how she'd been duped into treating that girl as one of her own, only to find out in the end she was just a bundle of lies and deceit. At least that was over with. Sadie was out of her house and out of her life, as far as she was concerned. Let her stay with Maria and the rest of the witches.

Of course she couldn't tell him any of that. She knew if she told James the truth, at best he'd think she was crazy. He'd probably dump her. At worst he'd report her to the police or child services or something like that.

Finally Liz just shook her head and sighed. "It's complicated. I wish I could explain James but... It's something personal and private, about the girls' father."

James nodded, "I understand. Well, if there's anything I can do Liz, just ask. I mean that."

She sighed again. Then with some bitterness in her voice she admitted, "Honestly, I almost wish the other two would leave as well. Then I'd finally be free."

"You don't mean that." James frowned. "I know you must be under a lot of stress right now, but you don't really want them to go, do you?"

She sighed and admitted, "I suppose not... At least not Jenny." Liz took a deeper sip of her wine, then with more bitterness in her voice she said "But Sadie left, and honestly, good riddance to her. And frankly, if Amanda keeps arguing, then she can go too for all I care. I've just about had it with her."

James just sighed, looking sympathetic as he had some more wine. "Give it time Liz. Maybe they'll come around."

"Maybe. I'm not sure I care any more." Liz shook her head. "I'm sorry James, for being so negative tonight. I'm just tired... Tired of having to look after them on my own, tired of the arguments, tired of the stress..."

He got up and moved around to sit next to her, putting an arm around her.

Liz relaxed a little against him, and smiled.

Before long they'd finished the first bottle and James ordered a second, as they ate together.

The wine was excellent and the food delicious, but both paled against being able to just spend time with James. Being able to have a mature conversation, without one teen or another starting to talk or shout or complain.

As they were sharing a decadent chocolate dessert, James asked "Would you like to take the rest of the night off, from being a mom? I've got a suite at the inn just down the street..."

Liz grinned, "Oh my God yes, James I'd love to."

He just smiled, and signalled the waiter. When the bill came, James left a trio of hundred-dollar bills to cover the meal and the wine, and then the two of them got up and left together.

Liz slipped into her little Corvette and followed him as he pulled out in his Porsche. It was barely two minutes from the restaurant to the inn, and then she was parked next to him.

With his arm around her, he led her to the luxurious suite he'd booked.

"Get yourself comfortable Liz," James smiled, as he picked up the phone. He called room service, and ordered them both some more drinks.

If you're enjoying our work and you'd like to support us, please consider joining our patreon & get early access to new chapters!
https://www.patreon.com/purplecatgirl

49