Despair
2.5k 6 24
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Abel's heart jumped into his throat as he heard those five words. His eyes widened as his hands trembled, and he said with as steady of a voice as he could muster. "What is it"

The doctor saw all these signs, and secretly shook his head and sighed "Your girlfriend is going to pass within the week, we have already contacted her family, and they are on their way."

Abel felt as if the world was crashing down, and his brain short-circuited. "What do you mean she is going to pass away? You are one of the best hospitals in the world! Can't you prolong her life! WHAT DO YOU WANT MONEY?!? I HAVE ALL THE MONEY IN THE WORLD, JUST SAVE HER!!!" Abel started yelling as he was talking his anger and despair showing in his voice.

"It is not about the money, Abel, It is just that we do not have the technology available yet in this world to be able to prolong her life. It is a miracle she already lasted five years like this." The doctor said trying to calm Abel down.

Able felt the world go black and white. The doctor's voice became inaudible, turning into a constant humming noise. Abel nodded and agreed, without mentally being there, and before he knew it he was again standing in Catherine's room, looking at her sleeping face.

Abel was unable to hold back his tears as he wept over her bed holding her hand in his.

A few hours later her family arrived, with sorrow on their faces. Abel did not greet them, just sat beside Catherine holding her hand. The family also did not say anything to Abel, after seeing the state he was in, which was worse than theirs.

The days passed like this, with Abel not knowing where he was going feeling as if he was not in reality. He ate when he was given food, and went to the restroom when a nurse would tell him. The rest of the time he spent by Catherine's bedside, either awake or asleep he never left her.

This went on for four days before late one afternoon as Abel was lovingly stroking Catherine's hand, he heard a ringing sound. Abel first ignored it, but when it would not shut up he looked up to find the sound and saw a flat green line displayed on Catherine's heart monitor.

Before he could even shout doctors burst into the room and pushed him aside, as they began to get to work trying to save Catherine.

They were talking in hurried voices, all of which Abel cannot remember, as all his focus was on Catherine. He just stared at her, unable to help as he watched them try and bring her back to life.

Abel watched as the doctors slowly backed away and shook their heads. One turned to Abel and said something, but the other patted his back and shook his head. The doctors reached a consensus and left the room.

Abel was still staring at Catherine's face, and that nearly unnoticeable smile of relief that was left there.

24