1.39.2 The Blood that Binds
70 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Another week passed before Hunter was discharged. All things considered, the doctors predicted a smooth recovery, though it would not be fast. The best thing was his hunters' health insurance covered the medical expenses. Though he felt an external influence had persuaded the organization to aid him.

On Hunter's first day out, the couple (along with Shelly) received an invitation from Ellen to meet at Packland. So, in Richard's now clean office, they all squeezed in alongside Trisha, Rusty, Giselle, and her girlfriend, Alma.

Initially, they each remained contained to their little groups except for Shelly. Instead, she leaned back in one of the central chairs and looked between everyone.

"Alright, who's gonna start sharing first?" She asked. It was not like she had much to add. She was just invited because of her abduction. So, she wanted all the juicy details, as Mama refused to tell her any, and even her council contacts remained vague about the event.

A ripple of silence ran through the group. Those involved in the investigation shared a quick glance. They each had their own piece to the puzzle. Though these pieces were not equal in weight.

It would be Giselle who broke the silence with a grunt.

"I've been on this the longest. I guess I'll start," she said as she leaned against her girlfriend, who was well over a head taller than her. "The basic is, I've been hunting these bastards for over a decade after they…" she paused, then grimaced, "after they killed my family and pack. I was one of the few who escaped the massacre and never forgot it. I couldn't remember faces, but I knew the monsters, and I knew the spells. So, I hunted for them between normal hunts. When we went to Banyan's Hallow the first time, it was because one of my contacts told me of a potential tie between the cult and that location."

"So, you knew the bounty was a fake?" Hunter asked, slightly agitated.

"No, the bounty was a real one. At least I was told it was. I hadn't expected it to be a double-cross."

"It would have been nice to know about your secondary goal," he said.

"Look, this was my own personal hunt. It was no one else's business."

"Really?" Alma cut in as she leveled a steely gaze at her troublesome girlfriend.

"It was Alma's and my private business," she said unflinchingly. "It's not like I got much out of it. I didn't even know my contact was compromised until they ambushed me at a meetup. Before I could even fight, Brody had used his damn psychic bullshit on me, and there was little else I could do." Frustrated, Giselle buried her head on her girlfriend's chest. "I can't believe it…" She grumbled.

"Your research was very helpful, though," Ellen added as she sat on Richard's desk. "Once we got to Alma's, and she showed us the room, we could piece almost everything together."

"Wait, was there red string?" Neil perked up as he gazed between the women.

"Yes—"

"No," Giselle cut her off while shooting her a warning glance and then switching over to the boyfriends. "Also, don't think I've forgotten about what you did to my Jeep. You fucking owe me."

"Last I checked, I ended up with three bullets in me because of you. I think we're even," Hunter said.

"You didn't die," she replied but then waved it off. "We'll talk about it later."

With that, the conversation moved on to the next person involved in this mess.

"I guess it's my turn," Ellen casually stood and meandered about with her hands in her pockets. "Well, Giselle wasn't the only one setup." She gave an ominous chuckle as she kicked her booted feet.

"You should remember that we were going to interview the local Fae Lords, right? Well, I had a hunter unit out with me to visit Cassadaga first. But when we arrived, her realm was a mess. I felt something was wrong but, we kept moving deeper, hoping to find her. Instead," she sneered, "instead, I lost my entire unit to her. She had gone completely feral. At that moment, with my team in a bad way, I dropped a recovery beacon and led her off. She chased after me across several realms until I ran into Skunkape, who helped me contain her. Though once that was done, they informed me that several Fae Lords had also turned feral. Why that was, they didn't really know. Just that all sorts of trouble had been coming up with Florida fae. Even they felt something the last few days." She took a second to let out a long sigh. "That's when I felt something bad was up. I remembered Oscar was out with a Council group interviewing Pounce, so we quickly ran over there and found him in distress, though noticeably alone. According to him, his team had cut and run right after they entered. So, it was just the three of us. I asked Skunk to figure out what lords hadn't been affected while we hid out in their realm."

While talking, she finished her circuit of the room and returned to Richard's desk. "While there, we brainstormed. I still had that photo you sent me of that fake Alma," she nodded at her sister, who scowled but said nothing. "I didn't recognize her or anything, but I had a hunch. Oscar was useless and, I didn't know of your trouble at the time. For Oscar, the council assigned his group, so they were a bunch of faces new to him. Not that's shocking. Most of his work up till then was on the west coast, and this group was supposedly all from the St Augustine office. Really, we were stuck until Skunk came back. That's when they told us almost all the lords had lost it, 'cept for Gator and Hemming. Gator cause they live out alone in that damn marsh and Hemming because he had just finished dealing with trouble down in the Keys and hadn't anytime for anything else. Now Oscar wanted to go to the Council," she snickered.

"I told him that all this was too much coincidence. A lot of alarm bells were ringing, you know? Like, the Fae Lords have to register when they settle down here, and that information is quite closely kept. On top of that, these are retired, highly respected, well-trained lords. That's the only reason they can live so close to each other. Them going feral just wasn't right. I felt that this might be an inside job. And when reflecting on all the hands this case had flipped through, and all the mud thrown in the water... well, it was all so conveniently messy. I suggested we go dark until we got some researching done. Anyway, I still had an ally or two, so it wasn't impossible. So, we went to my sister's to hide out on the mortal plane, and why wouldn't we find the most useful of things there." She nodded as Giselle, who was dozing off. At the mention, the woman shot a glare but then sighed.

"You invaded my personal space," she grumbled.

"Of course, we did," Ellen smiled. "You did half the work for us from there. Only thing missing was the ringleader and how deeply rooted this was."

"Then how did you figure out it was Brody?" Hunter asked.

"Ester," Rusty said. The room's attention flickered over to the quiet werewolf. "Hunt night, she came running to me, crying about how Uncle Neil was in trouble. She wasn't too clear, but when I called for Trisha and got no response, I looked into it myself," he then scowled as he stared contemplatively at the ground. "By the time I could get an answer, ya'll were already gone, and I had no idea where. It didn't help that I still needed to lead the Hunt."

"Luckily," Ellen chimed in, "I knew the location. So, when we arrived at Packland looking for Neil and Richard, I ran into Rusty instead, who informed us that Richard wasn't there, and you were MIA."

As if this was the point he had been waiting for, Neil looked over at the alpha, "So where were you then?"

At the question, a quick blush flickered across Richard's face as he glanced away and slightly coughed. "I was on an isolated hunt so I could control my emotions."

"He was sulking at west coast Packland," Ellen said. "Really did nothing to speed up the rescue effort. On top of that, the whole Red Night started. We all were calling up any uncompromised support we could get to converge on Banyan's Hallow, but it was difficult. Besides the groundbreaking, almost all supernaturals were suffering from backlash. If it wasn't for the fact me and Skunk were strong and could plane shift, I don't even think we could have made it past Okeechobee. Even then, it was a struggle. The fact we arrived when we did was a miracle. It might actually have been a miracle. For some reason, when we got about four miles outside of town, the terrain softened, and we could make the last stretch with no trouble. Even got a power boost."

"That must have been the Maiden," Hunter said, then caught himself. "We really were lucky," he added with a sigh and then turned back to Ellen. "Do we know why Brody did all this? I mean, I understand power. But this cult was decades old if we go by Giselle's notes. Brody couldn't be more than like 30."

"Actually," Giselle said, slightly stepping away from her girlfriend to take the floor, "he was closer to 60. With everything we know now, I'm damned sure he was once part of a pack out in Watershed, Tennessee. Which is also where all this probably began." She pulled out the list she kept in her wallet and glanced at it. "From what I found, it was the first pack to suffer this kind of massacre. I'd say he was recruited then since he was an Empath and an animal summoner," she shook her head. "Each part strong on its own, but together it gave him an unfair influence over wereanimals that I didn't even notice until too late. As for why he did it…" she placed the list back in her pocket before leaning against Alma. "With one like him, all smiles and helpful words, I'd say he wanted more. Thought he deserved more, and the lives sacrificed were a worthy price to pay. I always knew there was a reason I didn't like him. Smug asshole."

"So, it was all him," Hunter sighed, collapsing back in his wheelchair. "I can't believe it."

"Just how it goes," Ellen shrugged. "Made it near impossible to track him down officially. His people destroyed any evidence that could draw attention to the cult or any connection to him. That included the cornerstone we captured. As for the members of the cult, he had the smarts to recruit a number of them from inside the different state agencies, though most were from council. In fact, I don't think we would have gotten them all if it was for this being their final ritual. Most, unfortunately, died when the weird tree lightning thing happened, but several survived, and one has even gone turncoat."

"That wouldn't be Ashely Lee, would it?" Neil asked.

"How did you know?" Ellen looked at him with a raised eyebrow before nodding. "Yep. We still don't know why, but he's been extremely cooperative in this whole affair. After several screenings, we found his testimony to be true, and he's been a major help in tracking all that has happened behind the scenes."

"Damn, he really was working with us," Shelly whistled. "I guess he thought he was in over his head."  

"So, the world almost ended because one guy bullshitted his way through the system, and no one cared to double-check?" A wheezy laugh left Hunter as he shook his head. "This is ridiculous."

"That's what international is saying too," Ellen chuckled, "Council knows it's got egg on its face. But every organization down here does. So at least they're not alone. Really, what everyone is amazed by is how there wasn't more damage done. According to what the arcane researchers have figured out, what Brody was summoning was something beyond our world. Apparently, we were a few steps away from judgment day. How stuff was able to return to normal so quickly is a mystery in and of itself."

"It was the Maiden," Hunter said, "I don't know how. But I know it was her who kept everything together."

"Well, I guess I should send her a gift basket then. Maybe some fertilizer, tree spirits like that kind of thing."

At the words maiden and tree spirit, Richard's ears perked up. "This maiden, what does she look like?"

Hunter raised an eyebrow at the werewolf but answered, "She's a big tree lady in a green dress."

"Does she have like some damage to the side of her face?"

"Yes," he slowly nodded, "her tree was burned a few years back, and it affected her form. Though I think she should have healed now that the cult is gone. After we're done here, I'm getting Neil to drive me out to Banyan's Hallow to check up on her."

"No need to take the trip," Richard said, a slight smile coming to his face. "She's moved here."

"What?"

"Yea, folk, noticed a stranger up in the Protector, but no one's been able to catch her, and she doesn't leave a scent. They have caught glimpses of her, and she fits your description. Looks she's got a new home."

Hunter was already turning as Richard finished his sentence. "I need to see her."

No one stopped him as Neil helped to push his boyfriend out, and Shelly followed. They had caught up on everything, and though there might be a minor detail or two they missed, it really didn't matter to the three. They had exposed Brody's hand, and while his tricks were slick, they had forced him to yield at the last second. At the end of it, through all the trouble, it was their victory.

As they stopped before the massive central tree, Hunter was first to notice its near blinding glow. As he squinted, a familiar figure floated down from the banyan's branches.

A green bird flew from her lush canopy of hair, fluttering around the Banyan Maiden's three visitors before landing on her wooden shoulder. Shelly slowly whistled and nodded at the spirit. The Maiden responded in kind, her hair swaying as green leaves and colorful flowers scattered from it and swirled in the air around her.

"So, this is your new home?" Hunter asked, looking up at the massive tree. She followed his gaze but gave a slight head shake before nodding. "I see, they're both your homes now," he laughed, following along with her nod before giving his best attempt at a bow. "Thank you. Thank you for everything. Without you, I'm sure we all would have died long before help arrived."

This time her head shake was firmer before turning into a tentative nod as she thought about it. She still finished off with a brisk shake.

"You've gotta give yourself some credit, girl," Shelly said as she walked towards the Banyan Maiden who, much to the human's surprise, was taller than her. "Anyone with two eyes saw what you did with that tree laser thing of yours. It was epic." She laughed and threw an arm around the spirit's shoulder. The first time it phased through, but the second time it worked as Shelly leaned against her. "Look, you might have two tree homes already, but how do you feel about a third? I've got a gorgeous live oak just looking for a tenet. Absolutely massive and in the heart of a lively, friendly town."

Unable to contain himself, Hunter burst out laughing as his sister tried to recruit the ethereal spirit. But as Shelly talked, the slightly stand-offish Maiden began to nod along as more birds emerged from her hair and settled on Shelly's shoulder.

"I'm telling ya, it's got everything. We've even got a deal with a friendly fae lord in the works to set up a curio store." She continued as she pulled the Maiden along to walk and talk, leaving the boyfriends alone under the Protector tree.

"She's a menace," Hunter chuckled, though it slowly slipped into a sigh as he leaned against Neil, who crouched beside him. "It's really over, isn't it?"

"Yes, baby," Neil rested his cheek against the top of his partner's head.

"I think I'm ready to retire," he said.

"No need to worry, I have plenty to support us and your mother."

This made Hunter laugh again as he sat up. "I know. I know. I think I figured it out the fifth time you told me."

Upset the touch ended, Neil reached out and took Hunter's warm hand. Unknowingly, he traced the cuts that had healed upon it.

They remained silent as Hunter continued to watch Shelly and Maiden talk. By this point, the human had convinced her to summon up more woodland creatures until a veritable menagerie surrounded them. Honestly, it looked like a fairy tale as the different animals flittered about. Some danced, some climbed upon the two women, and others chirped along. He was just waiting for them to break out in song.

While Hunter was distracted, Neil observed his side profile and took in how the rich green glow highlighted his partner's cheeks and reflected in his dark green eyes. Little specks of gold he had never seen before came to light in their depth, though soon those eyes turned back towards him.

"I love you," Neil said on reflex, but the words were true. "I really love you. But please, let's never do that again."

Hunter paused, his eyes lingering on Neil's. If it were not for his earnest tone, he would have laughed. Instead, his gaze lingered on the wereleopard's tense lips before sliding down to the thick scars that encircled his graceful neck. Finally, he looked up with a small smile.

He drew Neil's face close, "don't worry, I have no desire to die again." He then gave a low chuckle, "I think it was a good adventure to end on. No need for anymore." He then paused as he ran a slow finger along his partner's cheek. "Hey, did you know that I love you too?"

"No, why don't you tell me again?"

Hunter went to respond, only for Neil to steal his words as he pulled him into a soft kiss under the light of the banyan tree.

A/N

Last of the main chapters~ Yah! I hope that for all it's roughness, this has at least been an enjoyable read! This isn't the last update for We've Lost the Plot as there is still an epilogue to wrap up one final loose end. Also there will be a short fluff extra afterwards for my own self indulgence. (❁´◡`❁)  

2