Chapter 4: A Year Without Alcohol & Smoke
1.5k 7 34
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Chapter 4: A Year Without Alcohol & Smoke
 
______________________
 
Hidden Quest Activated

A Year Without Alcohol & Smoke

Mission Introduction: The time has come to change your ways. The alcohol chugger and nicotine burner in you must be slain. The host must understand the saying "a healthy body earns a healthy mind."

Mission Requirements: Stay alcohol and smoke-free for a year.

Mission Grade: G+

Rewards: A very interesting random book.

Failure Penalty: Stage 4 Cancer (Punk! You will not want to know what kind! I'll make sure to make you suffer!)

_____________________

This system really has character! It's like a naggy mom fighting against you and your bed every morning.

The loan shark Zhou Qi looked at the screen in front of him and scratched his cheeks. An awry smile stretching on his stubbed face. After his sister's death, he fell into the trap of alcohol and smoke. He knew that it was eating him from the inside. Still, he continued. His health status was even showing him his health issues.

In fact, he was starting to change his lifestyle since last week. Then the kid Zhai Wu came to him, making his hands and mouth itchy due to anger. Who can blame him right?

"Tsk. Okay, every time I smoke or drink please stop me fatty. This will be the last time. I promise."

The smile of Fatty Jin turned deeper, the dimple hidden in his layered face showed.

"Don't worry I'll make sure of that. I'll ask Sasa for help."

"Fine, you got me, buddy!"

The two looked at each other in the eye before laughing together. The fatty pulled out a pen and paper. He tapped the tip of the ballpen, making sure that there's still ink in it.

"It's already 4 months since we took down Stupid Bu and his minions. Though, he's already dead. Some new stupid guys are trying to play within our turf. Want to know more?" Fatty asked.

"What's with them?"

"Crack, Meth, Ecstasy… You know the others. Things that Sasa hates."

Zhou Qi raised his eyebrows. A fiery flame burning in his eyes. He already determined that those people would be soon dead guys. A thought flitted in his head. "Where's Sasa?

"Sasa is already on their tail. You know that's what she hates the most."

"That little brat! Not again! How many?"

"Hmnn, let me check that."

"50 more or less, armed with guns. Mostly, pistols. Probably smuggled from zealot's knows where."

"Hmnn. Probably, looted from some old armory. Of course, I'm not discounting the chances of smuggling." Fatty flashed a meaningful smile.

Zhou Qi tapped the table, his gaze focused on the non-alcoholic fruit drink. His forehead forming bridges as he dived in thought.

"Tip the police."

"Done. Actually, Sasa's with them. The special force suffered quite a number. So, don't pull some faces on the Lieutenant."

"…"

"Even in these apocalyptic times, fools still are fools. They never change. I'll go. Keep the bar running while I'm out."

_____________________

Mission Activated

When Fools Lose their Minds

Mission Introduction. The turf you earned from killing the merciless bastard is under threat again. Some stupid guys are running wild, thinking that meth is good for their health. Clean them up. Dead.

Mission Requirements: Dead drug smugglers 0/53

Mission Grade: F-

Rewards: Krav Maga Book (Intermediate), +Stats, +Influence, Exp

Failure Penalty: More missions!

_____________________

"Krav Maga? What the heck is that?"

"Fatty do you know what Krav Maga is?"

"Ask me the money I know. Go to Sasa or your police friend, maybe the iron ladies know something. I don't waste my brain on things that are not necessary."

"Nah, I'll ask the UZI later."

Zhou Qi walked inside a room inside the bar. He picked his wooden bat. Testing a few solid swings before going out.

"See ya later."

As he strode outside, he attracted the gazes of people. The people threw curious looks at him. Well, what can they say? He was carrying a wooden bat. And whistling he strode towards the direction of the police station. How courageous!

"Status."

System Interface Opening…

_____________________

Name: Zhou Qi

Race: Human

Level: 3

Experience: 0

Main Class: Gangster

Sub-class: Civilian Lv. 1 (23/50)

Attributes: Strength 5, Dexterity 5, Endurance 5, Intelligence 5(+1), Mystery 1, Charm 5(+1), Luck 5(+1)

Unassigned Stats: 0

Grade: G (Mortal)

[System Notes. Still, a merciful piece of trash with a bit of strength; living like a stupid boss in the middle of the slums. Do you think a short drink would make your stats change? Is this the place you wish to die, punk? Strive harder!]

Health points: 20/30 (Unhealthy Lungs and Nearly Dead Liver)

Stamina: 20/20

Influence: -10 (Infamy)

Skills: Street Boxing (Intermediate), Blunt Weapon Mastery (Expert)

Gifts:

The System

Class Talents:

Sharp Mind: +20% better understanding and processing information.

Hard worker: +10% faster improvement in learning.

Will of Mercy: +5% charm power.

_____________________

After studying the system in the past four months. Zhou Qi realized that a normal person would only have 1 point in each category. Strength, Dexterity, Endurance, Intelligence, Mystery, Charm, and Luck. With every added point, he was breaking another limit in his body. It was unraveling his hidden potentials.

As he improves himself in various crafts, the stats would also increase a little. The repeated practice was the key.

For example, a craftsman could increase his dexterity by simply doing work that requires dexterity. This stat helps him use items that need skill more efficiently.

A man could increase his strength through exercise and strengthening the muscles. What you eat also determines how fast your improvement could be.

Getting a beating would make you tougher, increasing your endurance. It also includes the power of your brain to process pain and will. It includes both physical and mental aspects. Overall, it improves one's body constitution or health.

Studying and learning as well as the continuous application of your knowledge increases intelligence. It makes you process everything around you faster.

As for the mystery stat, it was still a mystery. Zhou Qi had tried to understand it for four months but to no avail.

Charm makes you more popular and handsome. Of course, it only adds a certain aspect of attraction to you. It won't make the ladies or men swoon and fall for you. It's more of a charisma. They'll make people more willing to listen to you. Even so, it doesn't mean they'll follow you like brainless zombies.

Luck makes you shameless. Very shameless. This thing defies the essence of logic. A good example you took a three bullet to the head and your brain dodged, still surviving. Even now, Zhou Qi couldn't get his head on it. This one was his lifesaver.

The heck, a big brain dodging bullets in a limited space. That's how luck should be!

Heaven defying isn't it? Too OP!

Well, after the appearance of void gates. Zhou Qi already discarded many things he once considered truths.

In a sense, Zhou Qi could also be considered as a type of wielder. Though, a special kind. His friends only knew that he's a unique powerful guy. The Association of Gifts ranks the wielders from H-A. The nearer you are to A, the more powerful your gift was.

On top of that were the Rankers. Monsters in human form.

Meanwhile, Zhou Qi's gift - 'The System' - ranks the wielder's strength based on how efficiently the user controls it. It would even rank normal people if someone manages to break through their limits.

Fatty Jhin was a good example.

Zhou Qi wondered how powerful would someone whom the system deems as an A-Rank be. How frigging monstrous would that guy be?!

As of now, the system still considers Zhou Qi as a rank G wielder.

Yet, he was good enough to avoid bullets due to his dexterity. He could plot against his enemies even during fights. Processing information faster than normal humans due to his intelligence. In short, he puts his gift to good use, making his stats achieve something superhuman.

In the eyes of a system. No wielder gifts are useless. Only useless people.

After checking his stats, he looked up and saw that he was already in front of the police station. He swaggered inside with his wooden bat in tow. He looked like a hoodlum ready to wreck the police station in revenge.

Despite this, the police officers inside only cast a look at him and continued their work. Not one stopped him at all. Zhou Qi swaggered to the officer on the main deck.

"Hey! Boss Zhou Qi, looking for Sasa?"

"Nah, where's Lieutenant Chu?"

"Inside." The police officer smiled, flashing a wink. He then pointed at the last room. The office of the chief officer.

"Thanks."

The officer laughed, waving his hand. "No problem. It's nothing. Anyway, just a piece of advice. Don't join the catfight."

As he strode nearer to the room, a tempestuous roaring voice filled his eardrums. He stopped for a moment, interpellating whether he should enter or not. From the sounds of it, the loud voice was berating someone.

Soon, another voice answered. The pitch not weaker than the first one. It was a bloody battlefield. He almost took a step back. Zhou Qi hid his wooden bat and knock as gently as he could. He looked like a meek manhandled cat.

Knock. Knock.

"Who's dares?!"

Zhou Qi took a gulp.


(☞ಠ_ಠ)☞ 

Thank you for reading. If you liked the novel please add it to your reading list. Please do click the heart-shaped button to support me. My Patreon is also open for your support!

Please check my other novel: The Last Dukes' Memoirs

34