Chapter 30: The City Lord
266 4 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 30: The City Lord

I didn't take anyone's daughter… yet! The loan shark wanted to roar but held it in. He feared that he might accidentally trigger an unwanted death flag. He also ignored the blistering pain from his cheeks. The light slaps were not so light after all.

Anyway, Zhou Qi felt his ball aching.

He looked at Sasa and Cheng Shi, throwing an obvious 'please-help-your-boss' face. However, he only found the two shaking their heads, making an 'I don't know him' face.

Zhou Qi felt heartache. Where did our four-month-old friendship go too? The trashbin?

Soon, he felt the stinging gaze of the old man. "So… are you?"

“Am what!? Why so vague?”

The unreasonableness of the old man drove the loan shark's booty shaking. He felt like if he utters any word. He would be dead. So, he sealed his lips, trying to avoid answering anything.

The old man squinted, those two eyes felt like a kitchen knife on his neck. The old man tapped his feet as he waited for the answer, the air getting stale every passing second. It was clear that the old man was getting impatient. He shifted his head and glared at the officers around. "Can anyone give me answers?"

"Lord Calvin, h-he is…" One of the police officers pulled his chest up and saluted. The officer was hyperventilating for some unknown reasons. He was like a child who met his idol.

“He is!? The old man looked at the gasping officer. His eyes shining, not letting the officer finish his word. "He's the boyfriend indeed! My hunch is right as usual."

The police officer looked at Zhou Qi with shocked eyes as if he was suddenly enlightened. "I don't know about that Sir, all I know is that your granddaughter is hiding him from you."

The old man stumbled a little, swaying as if he was dizzy or something. "Tsk, when did my cute granddaughter learn to hide things from me. Do you think this fugly guy her… her boy, peh! Excuse me. Her b-boyfriend?"

With a wry smile, the not-so-brave police officer looked at Zhou Qi. He nodded his head, stuttering a little. "I-I believe so too S-Sir."

At times like this, the best thing to do is nod at the big boss' every word.

"What are you getting wishy-washy with? Do you think my precious jewel is not worthy of this PEH! This twat?" The old man moved to the bar top. He took a glass of cold water. He gurgled his mouth to wash his mouth, spitting it to the ground.

The old man frowned, his forehead looked like a ragged warzone. He felt that he just said something dirty.

"Anyway, back to work. Move now. Kill the trashes after getting all the information we need." The old man uttered to the police officers, sending them in all directions

"Now, now. What do we have here? Hmnn? A wielder, heh." The old man poked Zhou Qi's cheeks, measuring his innate cheekiness. And…it passed the test!

A few more seconds ticked, silence loomed around the large halls.

Zhou Qi felt the pressure zeroing on him again. He felt like a lab rat undergoing some meticulous experimentation. From time to time, the old man would poke him here and there.

"I guess I can consider you for my granddaughter. But! You need to pass a few tests later. Peh, sorry I bit my lips."

Zhou Qi trembled, nodding like a chicken. The old man was glaring at him as if he had robbed his bank.

The loan shark nodded, neck stained with rust, following his safety rule number #1. 'Sometimes, a real man must know how to bend under pressure.'

Zhou Qi's mind stirred like a brand-new engine. His brain cells looking for anyone powerful old man with the name of Calvin. He dived unto the depths of his memory. Someone, with the name Calvin. Someone worthy of the police officers' respect. A lord, a lord…

Well, a no brainer. The city lord.

Actually, Zhou Qi already found his answer. He just doesn't want to accept it. Why would the old man charge him for taking her granddaughter? Heck, this certified virgin? Did he have some beef against him? Ain’t this framing?

This loan shark has a clue. But hell, it's purely business. I didn't touch anywhere or anything. I am innocent!

Zhou Qi fancied running away. Still, he chose not too after seeing those chilly eyes telling him ‘move and you are dead.’ Anyway, he believed that he did not swindle any lady as of late!

He wanted to find the reason that caused this crazy special event. The proud loan shark showed his cutesy eyes, "I-I."

Realizing that Zhou Qi wants to speak, the old man snapped his fingers. The city lord opened the constraints he deigned on the loan shark. He then gave Zhou Qi a cold, sharp look. "What? Twat?"

Zhou Qi wanted to ask who is the old man's grand-daughter. Even just the name. But, he held it in after seeing those threatening eyes. So he changed his words, "How are you Lord Calvin, Great Sir of Trent. The Voiceless Old Man. The Muter. What brought you here?"

The old man named Lord Calvin coolly nodded at him before answering his question. "My granddaughter slip-, I mean she told me that she has a lover. So, I came to check. Your name is Zhou Qi, right?"

With gritted teeth, Zhou Qi nodded. "Yes."

"Good, then. I almost thought that I caught the wrong person." Lord Calvin touched his white long beard. "Anyway, I already removed the mental restraints of those zombies. I guess I'll give you the first test now."

Now? Zhou Qi's mouth twitched. Can I say no? He mumbled in his mind. The poor guy's face crumpled like tissue paper, even accidentally showing it out.

"What? You disagree?!"

"NO! Hell, no Sir! I'm just thinking how awe-inspiring you are sir!"

"Hmnn, I know that." Lord Calvin gazed into the depths of Zhou Qi's eyes, ignoring the loan sharks babbles. "The first test is…what did ya like about my granddaughter?"

"…"

Zhou Qi was...all in all…dumbfounded. He felt stupid despite his Lvl. 8 Intelligence. He felt like he was given a friggin' history question that's not even written in any history books or records. Wait? Can he still consider it as history anymore?

He doesn't even know who's the poor granddaughter was!

Zhou Qi's brain gears toiled for an answer. An internal monologue raged in his head, creating a bloody mental battlefield.

Nevertheless, he concluded that the old man loved his granddaughter dearly. From this, he understood that he must not utter any negatives. No half-hearted words. No long sentences nor paragraphs. Don't be poetic lest it sounds fake. A simple word would be for the best. He must avoid any follow-up questions. An old man… Why do all old men in all parts of the whole world love their granddaughters? What are their reasons? I'm not some quack fortune teller! Sometimes, their love is even greater than the child's parents. A doting grandfather. The whole world. Wait, when did the whole world got involved in this mess!? I haven't met this kind of problem before. What will Fatty do in these times? What will his answer be? She's great? Too manly. A beauty? Too common. Cute? Too simple. Sexy!? Hell no, definitely not this one. The old man would think that I have lustful thoughts about his granddaughter. A solid bash in the head and I am good as a goner. I can't utter any of that. I'll be deader than dead for sure. So, what? Haha. Am I getting crazy? An overload?! Think. Think. Think!

Zhou Qi felt his balls and brain aching together, acting as one. His eyes turning bloodshot. His face was also turning crimson as blood continuously flowed towards his head.

Never did the old man knew that the loan shark was facing one of the greatest crises in his life. A problem of the heart and mind. His question had terrorized Zhou Qi's brain in a short five seconds. A trauma that would last for a lifetime.

Until a thought flashed before the loan shark's reddening eyes. Fine, this is it! Whether I die or not! It will depend on this word. P-Please do not fail me.

With all of his strength, Zhou Qi raised his head to meet the eyes of Lord Calvin. "I have a perfect answer for that!"

Zhou Qi's voice echoed with great conviction and unnatural clout.

Lord Calvin showed an expectant eye, combing his beard with one of his hands. "Hoh!? Go on, pray tell."

The loan shark took a deep breath…

"She's....cuddly!"

Hearing the answer of Zhou Qi, the old man's eyes went wide like a saucer. He huffed and puffed. The old man's face was turning red. He was holding something in!

Zhou Qi freaked out, he sweated bullets. Did I go for the worst answer? He felt his hope collapsing. I am so dead?! He thought.

"Come on! Old man! Give me yar best shot." Zhou Qi raised his eyes towards the ceilings - 'I gave up' was written all over his face.’ He could feel the stars hidden in the skies calling for his soul. "Dad, Mom, and Sis. I'm coming soon."

All of a sudden, he heard a shocking loud voice! It rang in the ears of Zhou Qi, Sasa, Cheng Shi, and the police officers. It even woke up a few sleeping kidnapped victims, making them puke blood on the spot.

"Hahahaha! Yar Right! Absolutely right! It's my granddaughter indeed! She's superbly-marvelous-lovely-wonderful-beautiful-adorable-charming-cool and.....cuddly!"

The old man dashed towards Zhou Qi, giving him a deep look as if he understood everything, bashing and almost dislocating the loan shark's left shoulder! "Cuddly!"

...

"You pass!"

Zhou Qi: I passed what?


Thanks for reading. Don't forget the like button.

7