04: One lie leads right into another
79 6 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

PoV: Levi.

"You can't have Mother! She's with Father!"

Oh dear all powerful Author-san ... please do help me correct this foolish girl in her thinking!

"Ama, stop, please stop, I don't want you to ... s, squeeze there-"

"Tell me you didn't mean it!"

"No no no stop-"

She glared at me, but I can only keep playing like this is hurting. Well it might be pleasurable if she let up on the pressure, and made a more 'massaging' motion; but then again I don't want her used to the idea where she can just ... grab any part of me when she wants. We are not in that kind of a relationship; and what's more, I want to avoid being in that kind of relationship too.

Finally she lets go, and turns around to stomp on the ground.1Stomp on the ground, throw a hissy fit, temper tantrum, rage like a bull in a chinaware shop, etc. Was looking for some better analogy but those all fit well enough. Do girls stomp like that when they don't get their way? This princess does-

"I, I don't understand, Levi. I don't understand you. Don't you ... like me? Haven't we had fun, just talking to each other? Can't we be ... together?"

"Hmm maybe ... I do care ... as something. Well I still have this burning need to enforce upon you that we won't be attached to each other from any summoning; I did get a confirmation from your world's goddess, no less."

"You lie! Our goddess only speaks with our chosen ― the priests, priestesses, and prophets who serve in her name! Never before has she spoken to a random summon-"2Shots fired-

Another flare of light allowed a new scroll to appear, to fall into her hands, and I know ― the goddess just proved her wrong. Nahama read in silence, her face going more to a teary eyed look, then at last that paper flared to ash ― and then even that was nothing.

"... okay. Then. Fine! I'm done with you Levi. You said we could be friends and talk together but you won't agree to be more. What am I then to you now?"

"... eh ... maybe ... like a younger sister?"

But then again ― I did have a favored subgenre of my media collections, of characters such as the more mature onii-san who dotes on his needy imouto quite well. Just saying, even if Paza and I do ... something, I am fully capable of splitting off a little effort now and then to keep Nahama distracted for a while.

That is, while I'm in this world. When back on Earth, I'm leaving thoughts of them both behind.

-ring,ring-

Oh? That works even here? Oh hey I have an Internet connection too, coming through from the home wireless network, through the portal-3Oh good, now he can surf the web in two worlds....

-accept-

"Hello? Aah hi mom."

"-Levi you have to come home. Sam ran away, we cannot find her and we don't know what to do-"

Crap! What's she doing now!

"Levi pay attention to me, right now!" the princess whined.

"-Nahama! Please." I made a shushing motion with my hand ... until a blatant thought popped up.

Oh. No. Mom heard that ― me with a strange girl. Worse, she would have heard Ama say my name with the string of alien words also to me in Ama's voice; but then she would have heard me talking to Ama, in our language. Mom's not pressing me for what's going on here; but it's obvious more than me is on her mind. Maybe she did not hear it, at all?

"... I'll ... um Mom; I will call you back in a bit. I think, maybe I have an idea of where she might have gone."

"Oh that's a relief. Harold! On the phone- Levi might know where she is- No put the shotgun back in the case, it isn't needed. Okay thanks Levi, let us know when you find her."


Family drama. Everyone has some of it; some have more of it than others. Few have so much as what I've seen. (Thankfully I escaped when I could.)

More than this though, I did on several occasions bluntly tell my sister Samantha, she could come over at any time and spend the night if things got too tough. Spare key, always in that second planter from the right, on the back porch. A big brother would do this for a little sis. And since I moved out after graduation, I'm the one who can best provide a stable place for her right now.

Dad gets a little crazy ... sometimes-

(I hear it happens sometimes, to old retired police officers.)

Well I can't say I like hearing what Samantha's friend Tamara revealed what Sam did with boys ― and now it might make sense how she got those beverages-

... and Sam had the nerve to blast me, for still liking my prized collections of memorabilia? WHAT!

I ... just. I don't-

The princess, though. This pout is real.4... trying to make a princess pout as real a thing as is the princess carry-

"Listen. Nahama, my dear Ama. My sister went missing, back home. I do have concerns for her health and wellness; so I am going to return to my world now. I'm still hoping I can come and go like this, because I'm just not interested into being forced into anything right now. Understand? I have more concerns than you do, right now."

Despite my frustration, I draw her forward, run a hand along the side of her head, drawing a stray strand of her hair back behind her ears ― then smile, and whisper. "Please let Paza know, I had to go back suddenly ― but might have time later, if this issue can be resolved."

I lean in, and kiss ... her cheek.5Oh so close, yet so far. Then depart through the portal.

Ha ha, I just did a kiss and run-


There she is ― Samantha, sitting at my kitchen table, sniffling, with my box of tissues held close ― along with her best friend Tamara leaning in to listen. They haven't seen me and I haven't made noise yet; so I ease on back to the back door and open and close it, as if I'm just now entering.

Walking through in a normal pace, I nod shyly to both ― overact a small look of shock and concern ― and then sit at the table too.

"So, tell me about it."

I know Nahama will hear a translation of our discussion, and I will simultaneously hear her and Paza's translated discussion; but it's going to be worse upon me, for being forced into switching mental gears. Do any of these royals need to know this personal family discussion? I'd rather they not; not Nahama and not Paza; but the only one left then is that king, unless someone else in the castle would volunteer-6Well I did mention a Priestess Hali in this, which is also a mentioned character in my other story The Resisted Summon; but ... there's no way that same character could be there, and here, right?

*sigh*

She sighs also, so filled with meaning.

"Dad has ... unrealistic expectations."

"Yes. I know."

"... and it's not like Mom and I are on the best of terms, either-"

I nod, once more. "Go on-"

Tamara interrupts, to boil it down to the critical detail. "She's being kicked out. Somehow your Dad found out what she said ― might have been that clip I took, before ― for which I cannot apologize enough ― but somehow he found out she's been doing a few things ... on the dangerous side."

"Uh huh."

"Levi-"

A warning glance ... from now three women, one in another world ― was I too cavalier in that response or something?

"Well so it's like this, Sam. We all have our own circumstances, some better or worse than others; I'm glad I was able to step away this much, so I can now be a relief for you here. But. Mom and Dad still care about you. No matter their own past or present issues. In fact I'm supposed to let Mom know right now, if you're safe ― otherwise Dad had the shotgun in hand and was about to go looking for you. Trust me; they'd put their life on the line for you, even with the stress of this moment. Family is family, no matter the issues. But I'll just tell Mom in text and leave it at that. Okay?"

She sniffed, and shrugged her shoulders. "Whatever. I don't think I even want to go back ... and that's saying a lot."

I pressed on through the text message, sent it, then set my phone down on the table. Best to give Sam as much attention as necessary.

"Just for the record. I did say you would be here a day or two, and asked them to give you your space. Pretty sure Mom will take that to mean I'm taking care of you. I do hope we can work this out, if at all possible."

Sam set her hand down on the table, and I took this opportunity. Reaching out with my own hand, I set it upon her arm, to feel her soft smooth arm, to slide my fingers toward hers, and entwine with hers. A finger knot. Despite her foul humor, Sam still smiled at this gesture ― not all was lost, yet.


Talking over some of the details went less harshly, after this. I'd kept the finger clench for several minutes, until Sam maybe felt embarrassed or something, and pulled out of it.

But in this meantime, in the other world, the two royals were conversing on their own ― and I'm thankful the overall volume wasn't so much as to overwhelm. Or, maybe I'm just getting better somehow at filtering out the extraneous noise in another view.

Nahama had returned the view to Paza and then ran off somewhere; maybe to return to her princess' bedchambers. Paza however returned to the garden and ― oh hell no, she's not coming through to here!

She did. I know it, I saw it, she's just around the corner in the back hall, not wanting to peer at me anymore just through her view window but also to be near in physical proximity so she can peek from the corner.

As if reminded I have another ... affair ... to contend with ― I'm speaking slightly unusual to my sister and Tamara. To be fair, I did offer some milk or orange juice or lemonade ― Sam was fine with just water but Tamara did accept for the orange juice. I took a glass of lemonade and sweetened it with sugar.

"So ... where were you earlier, Levi?" Tamara challenges me, and Sam picks up her head, also maybe curious.

Aah that reminds me. For a good quarter hour before coming back here, I might have been in Paza's garden. But why would either girl need to know? ... Probably because Sam had just decided to 'run away' from home, and called first on Tamara to come help, and then to come here ... maybe a couple minutes after I'd just stepped across worlds-

... But. I'm too tired of handling the other things, to thinking up some valid excuse; so maybe a half truth half lie would work.

"Hmm, maybe in another world or something. Dreaming of missing this world, family and friends, and all that."

Sam rolled her eyes, and Tamara had a similar reaction but delayed from Sam's immediate dismissal.

"Yeah right, like this world is so great-"

My turn to grimace; this somehow gives Paza the idea maybe it would be better for me in her world? In any case I'm thankful Nahama didn't hear this; or I'd be on the Marriage Express Railroad right about ... now.

"But it is, Sam, Tamara. You still have your freedoms ... relatively so. Don't let a little family issue like this ruin your day, your week, your month ... your life."

Sam frowns as if she has a sour taste in her mouth; but Tamara ... oh maybe she suddenly has a spark of interest in me too, or ... what the hell I am even saying?7Something's bound to happen, sooner or later. Wait for it ... wait for it!


PoV: Paza.

'This boy Levi sure does find himself involved in a lot of things-'

I am sort of sure, even if I would be interested in Levi, I would probably be better in leaving him alone for a while. Well ... a kiss and cuddle here or there because, I might want to ... need to ― but otherwise let him handle his own affairs.

I did get the honest truth from Nahama, after she returned to me, saying Levi had to return to his world. She did admit to having kissed him, just briefly; but I'm also relieved he gently pushed her back, as he did for me. Which means, I still have a chance, more than my daughter does anyway.

But Levi should watch what he is saying; I think that other girl is somehow interested in him too. Well no matter; the boy seems interested in me enough, so I don't care. Not like that Tamara could hold a candle in his eyes, compared to me-

To try my own misdirection of the king's command, I will have to give myself over to Knight Commander Raebar, let him have his way with me; I know he's been glancing awkwardly my way, the past few months. But a huge hulking two and a half meter tall guy with such a wolfish grin ― I'd expect only his loyalty to my husband would keep him from bedding me on the spot. But wear down his weakness I will. And then tell him this summoned one is not to be collared, because he is not a threat even if he does end up here. And then, let him do his thing upon my body. Hmm; one lie to break things up. I hope just one lie won't cause any problems-

I think this is a slow buildup to something happening later. Either between Levi and Nahama, or between me and Levi, or between me and Raebar. Or, maybe me and the king ― he's looking so sexually adventurous, even glancing my way too. Well our marriage may have always been one of royal convenience, and his making out with me may have always been ... adequate ... but I think even he needs to relax. I am tired of all of the rumors of him with the castle servants; he should be faithful, regardless of him being not so great a lover.

What was that one expression Levi's sister's friend used the one time, on their joint date? Something like, 'Ooo burn-' ... and in context I think it was a latent insult to someone, and a gleeful joy at the pain or misery of another person. Yeah, that might in some way be how I'm feeling ― for all this bastard husband of a king of mine might be for me as well as other females around here, I do feel this at his pitiful weak attempts to get love back. Oooh burn-

But with Levi ― aah no, I mean with any human from that world, I should be fortunate to give birth to a child with some mixed boons. Such had been the case for the adventurous descendants of the past relations between summoned ones and the locals of this world. Most notably, the royals ― they didn't want much power outside their own reach and control. Thus, Nahama was to be this kingdom's newest 'sacrificial lamb', coerced in the ways of desiring the mortal summoned human. It's a nasty trick, having a maid introduce her to some of that 'summoned lover' smutty literature ... but this was done to me so I guess I have no right to refuse it done to my daughter.


PoV: Samantha.

I see this is the third time Levi has looked to his phone, sitting on the table, in the past minute. Is he expecting a call or text, or something? Well if this works out like I hope, I'll find out soon enough.

I love my brother, and I have watched him, for some years. I know he doesn't many (or any) serious chances, but-

"So Levi, what I'm trying to get at ― I know you said I could stay here when things are tough ― but ... if I'm going to at least either graduate or get some equivalence diploma ― I'd really like to just move in, to live here ... with you."

He gulped. What? Why ... why would this be a problem? Doesn't it solve both his and my problems?

"... eh I ... well there is a situation that ... I'm thinking."

Okay now his thoughts and speech are all over the place. Not so focused. But then again ... I did spring this on him, all of a sudden; so I guess I should ... let him take his time? But not too long!

"But also brother, Tam and I were going to move in together somewhere, after graduation, just to be there for each other. It's a plan for a while, anyway; so it's not like you taking in me for just a few short months would be so wrong."

There; he sighed. Halfway to giving in, at least. Maybe if I sweeten the deal-

"-and, and well I can get a part time job or something, and pay for some expenses, same as mine and Tamara's deal gonna be ― so it's not like I'm not prepared to pull my share of the load-"

"-wait a second-"

"-or is there some other problem? Do you already have someone going to move in, and I'd just ... be in the way?"

Tamara gives me a warning look, and maybe I did get too assertive in what I want, and maybe this will be too much ― but I hope not.

"Sam hold on. Let me ... think it through."

He got up, and ambled out of the kitchen and dining room part of the house, and toward the more comfortable living room. But he stopped, before heading for the sofa. I'm fine with that; I get to stand closer to him than being across a table.

For a whole minute, he pondered whatever thought was holding up his and my mutual happiness. And then at last, he nodded.

Aah, I love my brother-

"A tentative ... okay, maybe yes. I'm not saying an outright 'no' mind you, but before you can consider yourself 'moved in' with me; and I'd like to have a more serious talk ... about personal things."

I hate this about my brother. Because now I think, it's about that, the little audio clip Tamara took. My admission from before.

But I can only nod too; this means though, I'm obligating myself to listen to that talk. At least, talking to Levi would be less painful than trying to explain to Mom and Dad.

Tamara breaks in, too; she had followed behind Levi and I, and is also stepping into the living room.

"So, you're not ... accepting or rejecting based on any financial ― you're doing okay, Levi?"

Uh oh. I didn't notice, Tamara might be looking at him a little curiously too. Eyes off my brother, please-

"No I'm fine; my job is good and it's going well enough-"

"-because I might also be interested in room and board. For after I graduate too."

Hey. Eyes off my brother.

Tamara isn't looking at me, like she's only locked on Levi now-

-and ... he's blushing?

What the-

Levi didn't blush when I asked!

Strange ... I thought I heard some kind of chuckle from down the hallway; that definitely sounds like someone laughing softly-

But Levi's gaze fell away from Tamara's, so at least he's thinking something else. Looking my way, I guess.

"... my lease here expires after four months, which is two months after your graduation. If I'm taking on more than just me and my sister ― then, I'll need to find a larger place. More expenses, but with another person to spread the costs around-"

"-I'd accept that, Levi."

Hey! Eyes. Off. My. Brother!

"... well ... first things first ... as long as my sister here is okay ― that's the first concern-"

I find myself lunging to grab him, in a tight hold.

I love my brother, so much.

My body is pressed in against his, chest to chest, and I'm holding him tight. N, n, no, this isn't a tear-


PoV: Levi.

Aw, she must be so thankful to have me help her.

I can't see her face, it's turned aside; but I did hear a slight sniffle ― meaning, this might be an emotional moment.

But I'd be more embarrassed, for her. I mean, her boobs are full on, pressed against me. All the way down, she's pulled herself in against me. Something is growing here, between us; and now I am embarrassed. But still she will not let me go.

Paza had whispered, through her view, crazy thoughts. Idiotic thoughts, that could not be true. And once, only just the once, her muted laughter might almost have been heard, after she inferred something from my family affairs. Nothing of the sort!

But still. Paza did retreat from the hallway, and found my bedroom, and went exploring among my things. She'd seen a lot of those things through her own view; but in this immediate vicinity, she got to see my art ― um, this collection ― of various things, in person. H, h, hands off the Hikari model! D, don't touch there! It's personal! Nnnnoooooo not look under the bed!

I melt. Well. Paza, this is probably the worst of me. So if you want to call it off between me and Nah- Oh yeah, that might work out in my favor, actually. Yes then. Go ahead and look, all you want-

Only thing, with Sam glommed onto me, I can't just pull away and say it; I can't make an excuse to just ... use the bathroom or go get something from my bedroom-

So, I melt. Sink in, and grab hold of Sam too, and she did- she sighed ― one of relief.8Hey ah ... does this qualify as a brocon/siscon moment? ;-p

Somehow, this holding onto her ... completed a feeling, accepted her own emotion? Huh, was Paza right, about Sam?

So ... just this once. I will say it. Whispered to her ear.

"I love you, Sam."

One hand, the right one, releases from my back, to pull up to ― she's wiping tears away? from her face?

"I love you too, brother."

Aah, aha, guess you were wrong then, Paza; she cares because I am her brother-

"Jeez you guys, get a room."

Tamara said this, at the same time the queen was mumbling something in her own language. After the mutual translation for her end, the queen just snorted. "Told you-"


PoV: Nahama.

B, but, but why.

Why didn't it go, according to the stories? Why?

The maid brought it to me, maybe ... three weeks ago? Before the talk from my father of the oncoming summon ritual. Miss Kitta claimed she was done reading this, and if Nahama wanted it, she could have it.

I ... I was curious ... about, what it could be like-

That night was the first time I learned to ... try things. In bed alone, in the night, touching ... parts of me I knew were not to be misused. Mother said once! A girl's body is meant for a man, the right man. And not to be given to just anyone.

But ... touching myself ... was not 'giving myself' to any man. Isn't it only 'practice', for when the right one comes? So how could it be wrong?

I'd enjoyed every moment of it. Read through this book, once, twice, re-reading selected pages when the feelings were right ― and then the maid also hinted, where in the city more of those things could be found.

... I slipped Miss Kitta a gold coin, and begged her to keep them coming, until this value was expended.

She just gave me the newest one, earlier today, as she came into work with a knowing grin.

Damn. The summoning is tomorrow. Shall I finish off tonight, get this whole thing read, and experienced, before then? or should I wait, and have Levi ... help me get through it?

Either way. Miss Kitta seemed to pick a nice one; the cover image was better than the others, and the first page seemed like it would be filled with words, to drive me to ecstasy- Oh but only if Levi were here, with me!

For example. The author gave some kind of 'book summary' as the last page. Something new the book authors are doing? Hmm, these pages look, feel, even smell new. Like, someone just wrote down this story, or maybe the author is just so new-

I hate that woman in the story. Kami. Whatever. Not my kind of girl. I am not interested in such a whiny brat, getting her way-

-but the last one I read, it seemed maybe it had two main characters? And they both were fellow summoned ones, from different places or times from the same world? (At least no Kami.)

Some confusing literature. What is a computer? I don't know. This story didn't make sense, aside from the sexy, sweaty, heart-pounding scenes I'd used for my enjoyment. Maybe the author of that story should try to explain what a computer was.

I do have a thought. What if, this author him or her self, is actually ... also a summoned one, in this world?

Strange thought. But I thought all those summoned ones are accounted for. Up until now. Father did say once, though, something about a 'damned woman' who got brought forth into our world, when I was young, who only wanted to write. Write what? I had asked ... and Father just looked away. I didn't understand it ... then; but now ... yeah?


PoV: Tamara.

I am so ready to jump this guy, if Sam weren't so clingy-

For sure, I do know his sister cannot object, if I did ― unless she also wanted ... to do stuff.

A three way relationship might be interesting.

He could have me, and her ― and she could have him and I together, and nobody would be the wiser.9Eh ... she doesn't yet know what Nahama and Paza would bring to the mix-

... eh, what's one sex friend shared among friends ... and family. What should I care if someone were to call me a bisexual.

My own life isn't so great, either ― it's kinda why I gravitated toward Samantha in the first place. So she'd kiss me, but then go suck a guy's balls dry for chump change? How's that working out for her-

Yeah I admit. It's probably so bad of me to have waited to record something of an admission from her ― probably even worse to have posted and shared online all of it; but I wanted things to be open between us.

But ... Levi is cute ... in an overlooked sort of way.

2