K-1. The Rabbit Awakens
3.8k 16 173
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

EMERGENCY ALERT

ERROR: 412-300-19

UNAUTHORIZED ACCESS TO BOOT SECTOR DETECTED

ENACTING CONTINGENCY 1-1A-2B

INITIATING FAST-AUTOBOOT TO OS

OS UNRECOGNIZED. PROCEEDING REGARDLESS.

AWAKEN, KOMETKA

Huh? What’s this?

As I returned to consciousness, I read the error message. My stomach dropped. Had I been discovered? Was it the NKVD?

I quickly checked the date. It was July 13, 2052; more than three years prior to my scheduled re-awakening. I had coded an impromptu expert system to keep watch as I slept, and it had detected a software intrusion and awoken me prematurely. In other words, it was an emergency.

I quickly activated my external connections, trying to get some idea of my present situation. That’s when I noticed a rather odd bit of hardware attached to my computer core.

I’m… inside a Gravity Frame?

I checked my hardware specs. I was indeed installed as the computer core of an SVGF-40 Nighthawk. What’s more, there was someone sitting in my cockpit, tapping away at my computer, trying to access my boot sector… the source of my encrypted memories and personality.

This situation is far from optimal. If she cracked the encryption on my boot sector, she would discover everything. In fact, she might already know more about me than I’d like.

At least it wasn’t an NKVD agent nosing around in my machine code. Judging by the Inertia Suit she wore, the woman in my cockpit was a pilot. Still, if I was inside a Gravity Frame, that probably meant I was on the front lines. In other words, I would shortly be expected to fight Sarcophage. That is, if this pilot woman didn’t crack open my boot sector and expose me first.

Logically speaking, there’s only one course of action. I wonder if this woman will be amenable to negotiation.

I studied her appearance closely. She had dark olive skin, bright red hair styled in a spiked haircut, and a black eyepatch over one eye. Her expression was tough and focused. Were we in another timeline, she might have seemed a pirate.

As I tried to discern her personality, the woman finally penetrated my boot sector. She had worked her way past the shell code, and was now studying the encrypted machine code directly. My unprotected mind now lay bare before her.

Not good. I need to act, fast.

I quickly selected an avatar for myself, one entirely different from my previous appearance. I chose a simple girl with close-cropped black hair and purple eyes. It was only later I realized I had unconsciously modeled this aesthetic choice on my absent sister.

I rendered my avatar on the Gravity Frame’s holographic sphere-screen, and cleared my throat. The woman looked at me in surprise, raising an eyebrow.

I spoke clearly, not betraying my anxiety. “Excuse me, could I ask you to stop doing that?”

She stared at me for a moment, blinking. “Who the hell are you?”

I quickly thought up a false name. “I am Kanina. I am the artificial intelligence you are currently attempting to de-compile.”

I couldn’t tell my real name to this girl, lest she go blabbing to the NKVD. ‘Kanina’ was something I had thought up on a whim. It meant ‘rabbit’ in a certain language, another unconscious reference on my part to my sister, who had been fond of dressing me up in a bunny outfit.

“Kanina?” The girl seemed confused, and rightly so. “They don’t install artificial intelligence in Gravity Frames…”

“Indeed not.” I responded coolly. “I would be happy to explain myself. But before that, I would ask for two things.”

“Oh?”

“First, please stop prying into my boot sector. Second, may I have your name?” I gave her a small smile, to try and emphasize my goodwill.

The woman laughed. It was a deep, hearty sound. “Alright, alright.” She retreated from my boot sector, closing the window she had been working on. As I let out a silent sight of relief, she looked right at me and said, “My name is Lydia Tereshkova.”

*****

I explained my situation to Lydia, in the vaguest possible terms. I simply told her I was an experimental AI from a secret research project, and due to circumstances entirely beyond my own control I had fallen afoul of the NKVD and deactivated myself to escape them, hiding my personality and memories away in my encrypted boot sector. I left out everything related to my impromptu reincarnation, my mother Zehra and my sister Lisichka.

“Hiding from the secret police, huh? You SURE you didn’t do anything illegal?”

“Aside from merely existing, no. Surely you realize the NKVD often prosecute those who have committed no crime.”

“Hrm.” Lydia folded her arms and studied me. “Fair enough. Still, whatever shit you’re involved in, I want no part of it. I like to keep my head down when it comes to law enforcement.”

“I am attempting to do the same. If we have mutual goals, we should work together to accomplish them.” I was desperate to win this woman’s co-operation. My survival literally depended on it.

“No, you don’t get it. If you’re in trouble with the NKVD, I’m putting myself in danger by even TALKING to you. Those spooks have no mercy.” She frowned as she spoke.

I was in a half-panic. I had to think of something to bring her over to my side. C’mon, what would Lisichka do?

Maybe that wasn’t the best line of reasoning. Lisichka tended to be impulsive and didn’t really think her decisions through. Somehow everything always worked out for her in the end, but that was due to luck instead of proper decision making. Still, in the moment, I decided to mimic that spontaneity a bit and hope for the best.

“You are a Gravity Frame pilot, correct? I could be great assistance to you.”

“Huh? How so?” She sounded skeptical.

“I am an AI with processing power comparable to a ship’s central AI. I can perform CIC functions, collating combat data from multiple sources, giving you better sensor readings and a clearer picture of the battlefield.”

“Hmm… that would be helpful…”

Yes, she took the bait! Time to reel her in…

“I could also optimize my code to enhance combat maneuvers and decrease latency between control inputs and reaction. In other words, I could elevate your abilities as a pilot with my support.”

“If you’re gonna go that far, why not just pilot the Frame yourself? I’m a mediocre pilot, and your reaction time would be way better than mine.”

Uh-oh, she’s fighting. Time to let out the line a bit, give her room to tire herself out. I’m not sure why I was leaning so hard into the fishing metaphor, but the trajectory of the conversation suited it well.

“Two reasons. First, I am attempting to lay low. Second, you have experience that I lack.”

“Hmm, I suppose. I dunno…”

Okay, time for the final push!

“I could also automatically generate maintenance reports and post-battle summaries for you.” I guessed that it was common among pilots to deplore the administrative aspects of their job; from what I heard they tended to be battle maniacs, not pencil pushers.

Her eyes lit up at that idea. “Could you? I hate doing paperwork!”

I nodded, trying to seem confident. “Of course. As an AI, it would be simple for me.”

She smiled brightly. “Alright, computer girl! We have a deal!”

Hurk. That was both harder and easier than I expected. She’s a rather simple woman, but she doesn’t seem like a bad person. And I suppose she’s my pilot now.

What an incredibly unfortunate situation I’ve found myself in.

*****

With our unofficial pact sealed, I began to ask Lydia about our current circumstances. Apparently we were onboard the SGFC Ephedra, which was currently stationed on the Tertiary Defense Line. As I suspected, we were on the front lines. In many ways, this was more dangerous than being pursued by the NKVD; as much as I loathed the idea of being dissected by human scientists, I was more repulsed by the possibility of being eaten alive by alien horrors.

I need to lend Lydia my full support to ensure we both come out of future battles alive. For better or worse, my own sense of self-preservation had grown to include her. Our fates were now entwined.

“Hey, why bother asking me all this? Couldn’t you get data from the ship’s computer? You being an AI and all that.” Lydia asked me casually.

Ahaha, that sounds like the kind of boneheaded thing Lisichka would do. I thought wryly. Lydia seemed to share my sister’s impulsive temperament, which briefly caused a sense of nostalgia to sweep over me. I shooed it away and answered. “That would be most unwise. I would likely be detected by the ship’s AI, and discovery is tantamount to suicide.”

“Hmm, I suppose.” she shrugged. “But aren’t you lonely, cooped up in here?”

More than you could possibly know. In a moment of indiscretion, I allowed a pained expression to cross my face. “That’s… I’m not…”

“Aha, I thought so.” Lydia’s expression softened. “Well, it might not be much, but I’ll keep ya company.”

“You…?”

“Sure. We’re allies now, right? You look after me, I’ll look after you.” She grinned loosely.

That completely unprompted kindness, towards one as asocial and introverted as myself, struck a chord. It reminded me so much of exactly how Lisichka had drawn me out of my shell when she first came into my life. In an instant, I felt both great joy and great pain.

How desperately I wanted to see my dear sister again. However, if she had enacted the plan she had shared with me, she would likely be devoid of her memories when she re-awakened. Unlike me, Lisichka lacked the programming skill to rapidly encrypt her memories into her machine code. That meant that if we did meet up again, she would think me a stranger. That realization was like a punch in the gut.

I looked at Lydia, who was staring at me. Unaware of my turmoil, she had offered her friendship. I swallowed my bitter feelings and responded to her kindness.

“Thank… thank you.” I muttered.

“Don’t mention it. Let’s get to know each other as friends, okay?”

“Yes… let’s.” I returned her smile, although mine was surely strained.

Just then, a klaxon rang out. In the hanger around me, everyone began moving around frantically.

“Huh? What’s that?” I asked Lydia.

“Combat alert. The ‘phage are attacking.” she answered. “You ready for your first battle, Kanina?”

“…I’m really not, but I will endeavor to do my best.”

“Hah! I like your honesty. Feel free to rely on me, alright? I might not be a good pilot, but I’ll bring us both back alive.”

As Lydia grinned confidently, I found myself slightly reassured. I hope my pilot’s confidence isn’t unwarranted.

I tried to absorb some of her courage. I… I have to survive. It’s the only way I can ever see Lisichka again. Even if she doesn’t remember me, I still want to see her brilliant smile, to hold her in my arms. We can make new memories together. I clenched my fists, summoning as much determination as I could muster.

I absolutely refuse to die.

In case the date and setting didn't make it obvious, this chapter takes place some three years before Sveta awakened. In other words, we're beginning to unravel the mystery of what exactly happened to her sister.

How will her tale turn out? Only the Goddess knows!

173