Chapter 34 – Dug Myself Into A Hole
416 7 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The next day, Teival woke me up and guided me out of the village. He said something about it being a better place for us to practice and train, than in the secluded spot of the garden. Since today marked the first day without any classes, I was more than elated over escaping that prison of a place called school. I mean, why are the children so eager to go there? It’s so boring!

 

Running around Teival as we crossed the crystal boundary separating the village from the wilderness, I couldn’t wait to play in the open space! Reaching a fairly quiet spot, we chased one another for a long time – taking it in turns to chase the other. I was thoroughly enjoying myself over getting to play such games with my master, made apparently obvious by my subconscious tail wagging. Though, I suppose all fun things finish.

 

Teival stopped chasing me after a while and hunched over his knees while breathing raggedly. I padded over to him with concern, wondering why he wasn’t pursuing me – only to hear an odd wheezing sound escape his mouth. I jumped on his back and licked his face, believing that it would make him feel better. I mean, that always worked with my siblings whenever we play-fought. However, he gently removed me from his back and placed me on the ground.

 

“Sorry, Kia. I need to catch my breath. I’ll play with you a bit later. For now, just do whatever you want while I rest, okay?”

 

I enjoyed the ear scratches he gave before I yapped at him and wagged my tail to say it was all right. “Sure, sure! You humans seem to have much lower stamina than us, so I’ll allow you to cease your entertaining of me for now. I expect an increase in food to make up for you not playing with me, though! You hear? More tasty treats!” After giving my dining orders, I rushed along the grassy plain and enjoyed the breeze flowing through my fur as I traversed the terrain.

 

As I was prancing around on my own, I ensured I maintained a comfortable distance from my master so that I didn’t end up experiencing nausea. Every now and then, I would glance over to see what Teival was doing and saw him in a meditative pose while muttering something. Since he seemed preoccupied with other things, I left him alone as I continued my frolicking.

 

Some time later, I felt a little hungry and wondered if there was any food in the area. Keeping my nose close to the ground, I began sniffing at the soil to try and pick up on any scents. I eventually caught a whiff of something that seemed quite tantalising and followed the trail. Reaching an area of damp soil, presumably from when it last rained, I noticed the scent’s strength had increased and began digging.

 

Although I could smell the food, I couldn’t find it – which greatly frustrated me. I mean, smelling a delectable meal and not being able to eat it is pure torture! “Ah, it would be so much easier if the ground just parted and showed me where the food was…” As I absentmindedly thought such a thing, I felt a sudden wave of fatigue as my energy drained exponentially. I then realised I was in a deep hole.

 

A little baffled at what just happened, I began to ponder over the causes before seeing my quarry! “Worms! Fat, juicy worms!” I pounced on them while sticking my tongue out, gobbling on their gooey flesh in glee. “Ah, they’re so delicious!” I rummaged around and located several more morsels before consuming them all with great delight.

 

Once my mini-buffet was over, I jumped up before climbing the rest of the way out of the hole. Examining it, I realised that it really was quite massive in terms of depth and wondered whether I was just so into my digging that the hole ended up as such. Having had my fill of food, I decided to head back to Teival to see what he was up to – hoping he was ready to play with me again.

 

Approaching my master, I noticed he was in deep concentration; his eyes were wholly trained on the large orb of liquid floating between his hands while continuously chanting. Not wishing to disturb him, I lay down in front of him and rested my head on my paws before observing him. I don’t know why, but I always found it peaceful and calming to watch Teival as he practised his magic.

 

Enjoying the tranquillity of the scenario, I found myself slowly closing my eyes while listening to my master’s young voice chanting tunefully. That was until I got smacked in the face by a water ball! Startled by the sudden impact of water, I instinctively stood up and shook myself wondering what had happened. My ears picked up on the laughter emanating from my master who – upon turning in his direction – was holding his stomach while taking delight in my sopping situation.

 

“Master is a big meanie! A bully!” I complained while tackling him in retaliation for what he had done to me. Ramming my head into his chest, I soon felt airborne before thudding against something. Opening my eyes, I noticed the light seemed a lot dimmer than before. Examining my surroundings, I saw soil. Everywhere was soil. Well, everywhere except above Teival and I.

 

My master had stopped laughing, which brightened my mood, however I couldn’t really appreciate the silence due to suddenly being unable to move. “Eh…? Why do I feel so slee…?” My eyes closed against my weakening will as my consciousness began to fade. “Well done, Kia! I’m so proud of you! I knew you could develop one fast!” I had no idea what Teival was harping on about but I did enjoy listening to his voice filled with praise. Not caring about our situation, I finally fell asleep.

15