Chapters 36 – A New Face
425 13 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Teacher had arrived bang on the day he said he’d return. Quite a few of the adults swarmed around him and wept over the losses from the previous day. Teival and I had been training in the secluded spot – with my master watering the plants and me digging the soil to help distribute nutrients. At least, that was what Teival explained to me before we started.

 

After having a go at gardening, we headed to the school where we caught sight of the crowd at the village entrance. I personally didn’t see why the humans were making such a fuss over his arrival, since – I presumed – he left frequently for school supplies. As such, I nudged Teival to make him move faster so I could get back to sleep.

 

While waiting for everyone to gather in the room, my ears kept twitching at the children chattering about the person who came with Teacher. “Hmm? He brought someone with him? Blergh, it matters not to me. Probably another boring person with no idea what they’re talking about.” I yawned and rested my head on my paws while wafting my fluffy tail at Teival’s leg out of boredom. “Behave, Kia. I don’t think we’ll be doing much today.” I yawned and brushed my tail against his leg in response before curling it around my body.

 

Soon, Teacher entered and told everyone to head to the clearing. I immediately sprang up and tugged at Teival’s clothes to make him get out of this place faster. Approaching the clearing, I noticed a man in affluent clothes standing upright in the centre, waiting with his arms behind his back.

 

Observing the man, once we’d all arrived, I noticed a black symbol next to his left eye before being assaulted by a massive migraine. The symbol was of jagged lines that were reminiscent of the mountain range on the horizon. I was curious as to why he had it on his face but couldn’t bear to chance another look since it aggravated my affliction. Strange thing was, as soon as I turned away the pain rapidly receded.

 

“Children, this is Anders, a representative of the Schwarzerberg Clan in charge of the city. He came in the hopes of scouting potential recruits for the Clan, so expect to see him around the village for the next few weeks. Would you mind saying anything, sir?” Teacher announced before turning in expectation to the man in black.

 

“…I’ll be observing your classes and might even give some tips if I deem you worthy of them. I wonder if any of you will be.”

 

I heard the children all become abuzz with muttering to one another in excitement. Well, except for Teival who just stood in silence with a blank face. However, even though his outer visage presented a calm persona, I could sense the excitement emanating from him. I didn’t really get what they were all anticipating from the rather bland introduction from Anders, but it seemed to have ignited a fire within them all.

 

The excitement didn’t last for long, though, due to Teacher dowsing their embers with a reminder of what he asked of them two weeks ago. I swear I heard a unanimous groan from all the children before Teacher called for one of them to demonstrate casting a simple attack spell. I believe the spell in question was a small water jet. Going by Teacher’s requirements for a pass, the spell needed enough force to topple a thin log – which he had placed upright in the clearing.

 

As the children called up revealed their lack of ability, I sensed the despondency caused by disappointment from Teacher. “I wonder if he’s embarrassed since that Schwarzerberg person is watching. Urgh…my head hurts…” While I reflected on why I kept feeling mental pricks whenever I thought about the man and his Clan, I witnessed Dinara successfully shunt the log a small distance away with her spell.

 

Everyone clapped in praise before Teacher called up Tabitha. Surprisingly, she also managed to knock over the log. Michael was soon called up and also succeeded in the task. The next few failed – as I somewhat expected to happen based on the frolicking I witnessed them doing in the plains. Eventually it was Teival’s turn, and he astounded the group by splitting the log in half.

 

I could sense the children’s hesitation in applauding him but – with Teacher’s instigation – they all clapped their hands together for his achievement. When my master returned by my side, I nuzzled his hand in congratulations which earned me a wonderful ear scratch. “Ah, master is the best! I will forget about the hours of being pummelled by water balls as part of your spell practice as long as you give me plenty of treats tonight! No! Every night from now on, yes!” I wagged my tail as I imagined the large buffet I had ordered.

 

With all the demonstrations done, Teacher gave another drivelling speech commenting on his disappointment over the lack of successes against failures. After completing his admonishment towards those who didn’t manage to achieve the task, Teacher then praised the four who did. Once he was finished, he promised he’d provide some more reading material to help further their magical knowledge to those who passed. When he’d stopped giving his piece, Anders then spoke:

 

“I don’t know why you bother encouraging the failures. Those born weak will always be weak. Those born strong will trample on the weak and get stronger in doing so. It’s the way of the world and is inevitable. Listen to me now, if you can’t even cast a simple attacking spell then you should quit thinking you have worth! Only the strong survive!”

 

“That’s an awful way of thinking! Some may indeed be more talented than others initially – but if hard work and effort isn’t put in, then the weak will leave the talented by the wayside! Everyone has worth! Just as the towering tree provides shelter to the animals living beneath it, the seed it grew from would have remained as such without being planted!” I rebuked while glaring at him.

 

It seemed as if my words fell on deaf ears as no one reacted, except those who had failed appeared to have become despondent over Anders’ speech. Wondering how Teival had taken what had been said, I turned to observe him and found his fists clenched tightly. I licked at them which made him slowly release the tension in his palms before he stroked my head reassuringly. “Don’t listen to the mean man, Teival!”

 

Teacher brushed off Anders’ speech with a laugh saying it was an interesting concept towards being a tamer. He then dismissed the class before calling for Dinara and Teival to remain. “Hmm? Why is he wanting Teival to stay, too?” My question was answered as soon as the other children had vacated the clearing.

 

“Anders, meet my two children: Dinara and Teival. Children, Anders will be a guest in our house while he stays in the village, so be sure to show your utmost respect and hospitality.” I scoffed at that, thinking about how Teival was never allowed to properly interact with the rest of the family – to the point he had to live in a separate home on their property. “Haha, next you’ll be having Teival eat with you.”

 

“Your children show much potential, Solomon. I’d love to have a look at how their crystal beasts are developing.”

 

“In due time, Anders. I would prefer you to inspect all the children’s crystal beasts to see if there’s room for improvement, or not.”

 

“Humph! I suppose I should since I need to know for the Clan.”

 

I eyed the man in black and felt displeasure at the thought of him inspecting me. I had recollections of when Doctor gave me a medical examination… “There better be no stabby-stabby! I have claws and I’m not afraid to use them!” While I was mithering over the thought of being inspected, we all had walked over to our home where Teacher grabbed Teival’s shoulder and dragged him into the main home with the others.

 

That night was exceptionally awkward and uncomfortable. I had to sit outside next to Zillah – the Umbral Spider sling – and eat my meagre meal without Teival. As for my master, he was forced to eat with the rest of his family and the guest. I was a little wary of eating my food next to Zillah, what with her being Dinara’s crystal beast, however she didn’t really seem to register my presence as she carefully sank her fangs into her food and ate it.

 

Eventually, Teival came out while dragging his feet. Staring at his shadowed face, I noticed his mental fatigue and so remained quiet as we headed back to our room. Once we entered, Teival picked me up and slumped onto the bed before hugging me.

 

“Hahh, eating with them all is so tiring…Would have been better without my hair being like this…”

 

“Hmm? What’s wrong with your hair?”

 

“Why did I have to be born with silver hair…?”

 

“What’s wrong with silver? I think it’s really beautiful!”

 

“I wish I didn’t have my mother’s hair…”

 

I watched as Teival fell asleep. I didn’t really understand why he hated having silver hair, to the point of always covering it up with that cloth. Clambering over my snoozing master, I sat on his pillow and pulled the cloth off his head. The moonlight shone through the hard hole in the wall onto his hair – making it shimmer soothingly. Feeling a little tired from the day myself, I snuggled my head into Teival’s soft hair before going to sleep, wondering what would happen in the coming weeks with that Anders man present. As I drifted off, I gave words of encouragement to Teival:

 

“You shouldn’t hate your hair. Silver is pure and perfect. It reflects the light of the night sun as a beacon of hope to those lost in the darkness. Be a flower that soaks in that pure light and bloom to greatness! Hmm…? Where did I get that from?”

13