Chapter 305- Welcomed with open arms
108 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The people seemed to disperse after these conditions had been agreed upon, however the one who was called the king seemed to approach Arlo with a friendly smile.

His black armor was made from the same chitin material that his own body seemed to be made from, and it glistened in the lighting of the city as he walked.

"I don't really know what to say about the people you serve. I've never met them, so how can I judge them? I know one thing for sure though, Arlo. I can tell. You're a warrior. You have your honor and your pride, even if you say that you've thrown it away. After all, why would you have challenged me to a duel one on one if you merely wished to take over my people?"

Arlo cracked a smile at this.

"I was merely given permission to do things my own way by those I serve. That was all. I am sure there are others who would have done things differently, and if I was ordered to do things in a different way, then I would have as well."

The ant nodded.

"I see. Well, either way, I want to welcome you into this village with open arms! So long as you are not here to harm my people, we will welcome anyone."

Yirald raised an eyebrow at this statement.

"Isn't that policy quite lenient? You're supposed to be the king, right? Are you sure it's acceptable to just let people in without any form of screening? And especially people like us who have come in here for the very purpose of taking over your people.... it seems a bit strange."

The ant smiled as he looked off into the distance.

"I suppose that's true. A normal 'king' wouldn't do something like that. But I have my own standards. I want to become the type of ruler who has never been seen before. I don't really like the title of king. It doesn't really fit me, you know?"

Arlo seemed to crack a smile at this.

"Well, I thank you for your hospitality."

The ant beckoned the four to follow him through the streets, and the four followed.

"So? What type of king are you trying to be then?"

"I want peace and cooperation with others. I want my people to be able to settle matters without escalating them, and for them to become selfless. I want them to come to a point where they will not be angered even when they have a disagreement with one another, and will be able to simply talk things out."

"That is quite a lofty ideal. How do you intend on bringing such a thing about? And do you expect cooperation with everyone? Even those who intend to destroy that very peace?"

The ant put his hands in what seemed to be pockets as he walked.

"For those who wish to destroy that peace.... well, I suppose I would like to try and convince them to change their minds."

"And if you can't?"

"If I can't?"

The ant seemed confused.

He let out a laugh.

"Then I'll try again. I'll try and try as many times as it takes. I believe that everyone can change if given time and effort. It just takes someone else to take action and extend a hand to that person."

As Yirald heard the ant say this, his brow furrowed.

He thought of Erasalis and Tora.

He remembered the delusional screams of Tora, telling them to leave him alone.

He recalled the fanatic shouts of Erasalis, preaching the end of the world.

Could those two really be saved?

'I don't think this ant has ever met anyone who has been driven beyond the edge of sanity.'

The birdmen had tried to save them.

They tried over and over to bring Erasalis back to his own senses, and yet every time they did so he would only become further instilled in his own mindset.

He truly believed tt was the end of the world, and there was nothing he could do about it but party until everything was over.

Even the lack of food and provisions had not shaken Erasalis from these delusions.

How then could a mere person fix this?

How could trying over and over again do anything?

Even if it did chip away at a person, it was unrealistic.

"Do you really believe that anyone can be saved? Even someone who has lost their mind?"

The ant stopped in his tracks.

"Someone who has lost their mind?"

"Yes. Someone who has literally gone mad due to the horrors of this world. Do you think even such a person could be saved?"

The ant seemed to think for a bit.

"Well.... I don't know. But I would certainly try! And I wouldn't give up until they were!"

Yirald's face scrunched at this.

The woodpecker couldn't accept that answer.

He had tried so many times, over and over.

And yet, this ant who knew nothing about his situation could say something like that without ever even knowing anyone like Erasalis?

It was true that the antiheroes had brought Erasalis to the point he was at.

It was true that he became that way due to the terror that Ally had inspired in him.

Yet Yirald had experienced that very same terror, and overcame it. So had Fergo and Relu.

It was Erasalis' own decision which led him to stay where he was.

"Yirald. Calm down."

Fergo noticed his clear irritation and whispered this to him.

The tension in Yirald's expression eased and he breathed out a sigh.

"Sorry. You're right. We're here for our mission, and I shouldn't let myself get agitated."

The group continued walking through the streets for quite a while before they suddenly heard the shouting of two people.

"And I told you to keep your kids away from my porch!!

"Well then why do you have such delicate items in the first place?? Don't blame my children!! They were just playing around. It's your fault for having things like that out in the open!!"

Two female voices could be heard arguing.

"Hm? It seems like there's a commotion. Sorry but could we go take a look? I like to resolve any conflicts within this village if I can.", Dern asked the group.

Arlo nodded.

"Very well."

The four followed as they turned a corner to see two people arguing with one another.

The first was a humanoid ladybug, and the second was a butterfly. These two like all the rest of the insectoids were shaped more in the form of humans than of insects, though their bodies, just like the rest, were made from chitin and they had wings on their backs and features of their respective breeds.

Hiding behind the butterfly were two humanoid caterpillars, and they seemed to be scared.

On the ground were a row of flower pots that seemed to have been knocked off a window sill, and the two women were staring daggers at each other.

"Um.... excuse me, but what seems to be the problem? Though, I can already somewhat tell from the situation."

"Ah! Dern!! You're just in time. This woman's children think they can just do whatever they want. They destroyed my flowerpots!!"

"And she thinks she can just yell at my children!! Dern, tell her something!!"

The two continued to fight, however Arlo took note of something.

'It's almost as if they expected him to arrive... I suppose Dern is his name. Does he solve all the problems of the people in this entire city? No, there's no way a single person could do that. Still, I suppose he does what he can wherever he can. It's admirable. For the people to respect him and follow his guidance to this extent....'

Arlo was reminded of his own position previously in the lizardmen village.

'I once held the respect of all the people just as this man does, and yet I never used that respect to help people like this.'

Dern approached the two while motioning for them to calm down.

"Now now..... well, I'm sure that they didn't mean to destroy anything. It was likely an accident."

Approaching the two children, Dern hunched over with a smile.

"Is that right?"

The two nodded from behind their mother.

"Mhm..."

"Mhm...."

Standing up, Dern turned to the ladybug woman.

"See? Here. This should be enough to pay for the replacements, right?"

Taking out a handful of coins from his pocket, Dern placed them in the hand of the ladybug woman.

The woman nodded while pocketing the coins.

"Now then.... it may have been an accident, but you two should apologize to the lady. Ok?"

The two children nodded and came out from behind their mother, bowing their heads.

"We're sorry!!"

The ladybug woman seemed to be taken aback and surprised at the sincerity of their apology, and nodded awkwardly.

"Ah.... forgive me as well.... I suppose I was a bit harsh....."

With a smile, Dern turned back to Arlo and the birdmen.

"See? All problems can be fixed if you just talk to people and try to get an understanding of both sides. Nobody does things just because they're evil or selfish. They always have their own side to the story. Has anyone ever done anything and thought 'Ah yes, I am doing something evil here. Muahaha!! I love doing evil!!' Of course not!! Everyone is trying to do the right thing, but perhaps they end up hurting someone else while doing what they think is right for themselves."

The five then continued walking through the city as the ant seemed to explain.

"Well? What about you four? Have you ever truly met someone who knew that they were in the wrong, but still did something anyways? Have you ever met people who thought that they were doing something truly evil? Of course not!! Everyone is trying to do what's right, but sometimes our opinions differ or we become blinded with the faults of others without looking at our own faults."

"Actually, there are a few people I have met before who have claimed that they were doing something evil.", Arlo stated.

Dern looked back at Arlo with surprise.

"That..... are you serious?! What person in their right mind..... these people.... were they sane?"

He seemed to be incapable of comprehending such a person.

After all, who could imagine it?

Everyone in the world always considered themselves to be some sort of definition of righteousness.

If someone was hurt by another, they were the victim and the other person was the abuser.

If someone hurt another, they were a hero carrying out justice on a villain.

To think or say otherwise would be very strange indeed.

"How could one live with their own actions, knowing that what they are doing is evil? Even those who do evil things surely believe that they are doing something right, at least for themselves... right?"

Arlo then smiled proudly.

"As to whether or not these people are sane.... I cannot say that with certainty. However I will tell you one thing. They take pride in the very fact that they are evil. They do not wish for others to see things their way. Rather, they wish for those who claim to be just to rally against them so that they may show them the flaws of their justice."

Dern seemed to be stunned at this proclamation of Arlo's.

"They must be insane then, right? For someone to hope that others view them as evil.... I cannot imagine even someone evil wishing for that. Unless they were truly demented beyond repair."

Arlo let out a laugh.

The birdmen too chuckled at this.

With a smirk, Yirald spoke with confidence.

"The ones we are speaking of are our masters, the antiheroes."

----

"Your masters.... wish to be seen as evil!? Why!?!?"

"Even I cannot fathom their goals. They are beyond my capabilities of thinking. However I will tell you one thing, Dern. Our masters may be the very definition of evil. When one looks at their individual actions, especially from the perspective of someone who has not seen the results of such actions, then without a doubt they will be condemned as monsters who have only brought chaos to the world. But we have seen the results of these evil actions. Despite their actions being evil, so much good has come out of these actions. So without a doubt, we can proudly stand by them and claim to be the slaves of the antiheroes."

Dern was completely unable to comprehend these words which Arlo spoke.

"No.... that cannot be.... evil actions..... creating good? Arlo, I cannot accept that. The ends never justify the means. Even if your intentions are good, that never justifies doing something wrong."

"Did I ever once say that the intentions of my masters were good?"

"What!?!?"

Arlo seemed to close his eyes while chuckling.

"I have no idea what their intentions are. Perhaps they are good. Perhaps they are evil beyond imagination. I do not know. All I said is that the results were something that was good. And I am willing to stand by what they have done with an absolute certainty. Do you know why?"

"Why?"

"According to my masters, there is no such thing as good or evil. There is only that which is defined arbitrarily by the people who experience such things. They claim that their actions are evil, but only by the standards of the world- and that they will form a new standard to which good and evil is defined."

"That is..... I have no idea what to say about that. If their new standard is good, then I will accept it. If it is evil, then I cannot accept it, I suppose."

With a smile, Arlo nodded.

"Then, do as you will. I have accepted their standard. I think if you give it some real thought that you too will perhaps accept it one day. Of course, this is assuming I defeat you in the duel tomorrow."

"I will not let that happen. I will fight to the death if it means preventing my people from being enslaved."

Dern seemed to smile with a confidence, however Arlo returned that smile.

"And I will not allow this village to escape the grasp of my masters. We differ in opinion here, Dern. Tell me now. Which one of us is evil? You, or me?"

"Neither of us. You are merely trying to do what you believe is right, no?"

Arlo nodded.

"I suppose that is correct for myself. But that may not be so for my masters."

"I refuse to believe you, Arlo."

Dern turned forward with a smile.

"I believe that your masters don't really think that their own actions are evil. Perhaps they have some strange reasoning for thinking how they do, but there is no way that someone could truly come to peace with knowing that their own morals are wrong. Even so, I will protect my people from them."

"We shall see about that."

"Would you like to go have a drink together before the night is over? After all, it is my policy to welcome guests- no matter who you may be."

"There better not be any drugs in the drinks."

"Do you think I would do something like that!?"

"I've heard about it happening before. There was a certain tournament in the fishmen village to the North where the former chief was drugged just before the final round and ended up losing the position of chief due to falling asleep."

"That is.... how low that person must have been to stoop to such lengths.", Dern said as his voice trailed off.

"You are fortunate, Dern. If it was not myself that you were facing, but rather some of the other slaves of my masters, then perhaps they would use a similar tactic to ensure their victory."

"Are you telling me that the people who serve your masters are like that?"

"I am saying that it is not necessarily evil from the perspective of my masters, and that they would not have any issue with someone doing such if it were for the sake of victory. However, I have honor as a warrior. I will defeat you with these two hands, and with this spear. If I cannot do that, then it will bring shame to myself as a servant of their excellencies."

At hearing this, Dern seemed to have mixed feelings.

On one hand, he was saddened at hearing that the people who Arlo served were that type of people.

This furthered his own will to defeat Arlo and ensure that those people did not take control of this village.

On the other hand, he was filled with respect for Arlo.

Despite the fact that he served such dubious masters, he still stuck to his own honor and principles.

"Very well then. However I can assure you we won't do such a thing. If I do, then I will consider it to be an automatic loss on my own part. You have my word."

"Haha.... well, I don't really need your word. I can already tell. Ah, but there is one question I have."

At this point the group had arrived in front of a tavern.

Lights were on inside the dirt building and a sign with a drink etched into it hung from the doorway.

'The Drunken Stickbug'

As Dern opened the door and held it for the four who walked in, Arlo gave him a serious look and asked him a question.

"If our masters were to come to this place, would you welcome them like you have for myself? Or would you drive them off due to their own principles and beliefs?"

Dern smiled at this question.

"Even if they believe themselves to be evil, I would like to speak with them. I am sure that through negotiation we could come to some sort of agreement. Once we have reached such an agreement, I would welcome them with open arms into this village."

3