Job Hunt
1.2k 2 24
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Okay, story two of the Grypha stories, featuring a cameo from another person's fursona, an older version of said sona in fact. Shout out to LilKodiKuddles for letting me do this and just letting me insert my fursona into her setting.

Oh, also? For the record? Angie is based on a real blue dragon plushie that I own, she's baby.

Grypha was sitting at a table in the university campus cafeteria, enjoying a quick lunch with Nana sitting across from her. By now it has been a week since she came out to her friends and she had managed to present full time for all of it. 

“I think I should find a part time job.” Said Grypha as she tore into her sandwich. “Building a whole new wardrobe isn’t cheap.” She continued upon swallowing the bite.

Nana took a sip of her soda and hummed. “I see why you’d want one, but don’t you kind of have that babysitting gig already?” She asked and took another sip. 

“Well yeah, Angie is great but I’m not sure her mom will want me babysitting her once she finds out I’m trans. She could think I’m a bad influence or something and I’m not sure if I could mentally handle that.” Replied Grypha as she turned her gaze down. Nana gave her a comforting head pat. 

“You have an amazing instinct for finding nice people. I’m sure she’ll be more than okay.” Was Nana’s attempt at reassuring Grypha. Grypha smiled gently and looked up and into Nana’s eyes. 

“Thanks Nana. Mrs. Drak hasn’t really called me to babysit Angie again, so I guess I’ll have to…” as Grypha spoke her phone rang. A text message. “...speak of the devil, I guess. Mrs. Drak wants me to babysit Angie tonight. I... I’ll tell her when I get home. Thanks for hanging out for lunch Nana, see you later!” Were Grypha’s words as she got off the chair and swiftly finished her sandwich, waving at Nana as she walked away. Nana waved back with a smile. 

 

Grypha sat down on her couch, which doubled as a fold out bed, and started writing a reply to Mrs. Drak’s text. 

Grypha: Yeah I have time today and I can definitely babysit Angie, but there’s something I need to let you know. Call me when you get this text since I’m hoping it’ll be easier to say when calling.

Grypha read over the text and hit send, dreading the call that she was now expecting. She wasn’t expecting it within a manner of seconds though.

“Hello Mrs. Drak!” Grypha answered the phone.

“Hiya hun, glad to hear you can babysit Angie tonight, but what is the thing you need to let me know?” Asked Mrs. Drak

Grypha took a deep breath and started talking. “Mrs. Drak, I’m... not who you think I am. I’m...I’m transgender. I’ve known I’m a girl for a couple years now but I’ve been too scared to say it or show it. If you don’t want me to babysit Angie anymore because of it it hurts but I understand.” Grypha was tearing up during the last sentence, the other line was quiet for a couple seconds. “Mrs. Drak? Did the call drop?” Asked Grypha.

“No, no, it didn’t, I just needed a couple seconds to collect myself. The first sentence made me think you were like a criminal or something, so the rest of it really took me by surprise. And to be completely honest, it’s not up to me if you can keep babysitting Angie, it’s up to her. We tried like four other babysitters before you and they all couldn’t handle her, but you tried to understand her so she refuses anyone else. See you tonight at six, Miss Grypha.” Replied Mrs. Drak before hanging up. Grypha sat there on the couch stunned before laying down on it. She laughed a tiny bit. Nana’s right, I got a good eye for people she thought as she went and checked the time. She had an hour and a half to get there. So, she got up and made sure she looked good enough for a first impression. She then sat down on her computer to kill some time before going. 

A notification popped up on her IM client the moment she launched it

garbagedumpgoblin: Hey Grypha, a little lizard told me you’re looking for a job

Cry-phon: Hi Donna. Yeah just something to get some more extra income. I’ve only got a week’s worth of outfits from Alice and I want to get more stuff

garbagedumpgoblin: Yeah I gotcha Grypha, I got you an interview for a part-time waitress position at Huggamug Café. The place you came out to us at. It’s tomorrow at 10 am

Cry-phon: Wait, how’d you get an interview there like less than an hour after I mentioned wanting a job to Nana?

garbagedumpgoblin: Because I have connections and dirt on a loooooot of people Grypha, wouldn’t believe the shit the Mayor gets up to.

Cry-phon: Maybe a bit TMI Donna

Cry-phon: But I appreciate it. Thank you. Why there though?

garbagedumpgoblin: They’re very trans positive towards staff is why. 

Cry-phon: Oh I see. Thanks again! 

garbagedumpgoblin: No prob, just let me know when you get growth pains from HRT, I want a live reaction as compensation.

Grypha shook her head, closed the IM Client and went to play Doom. 

 

Standing before the apartment building the Drak’s lived in, she rang the bell for theirs. 

“Hi it’s Grypha.” she said once the buzz notified her to speak. Another buzz opened the front door and Grypha made her way up the stairs to the apartment. Mrs. Drak opened the door and looked Grypha over. 

“Is it a stereotype in movies and shows for cool babysitters to be goth girls?” She asked with a grin. 

“The only stereotype I get is woman loving woman vibes from cool babysitters in shows and movies.” Replied Grypha. Mrs. Drak beckoned her in and as she did a rapid pitter of feet could be heard. 

“Is Gryphy here is Gryphy here is Gryphy here?” Could be heard as the 6 year old blue dragon girl made her way to the front door, stopping dead in her tracks upon seeing Grypha and looking enchanted. “Gryphy are you playing dress up? You look so pretty!!!!” Said Angie. Grypha giggled at Angie’s comment and got close to her, squating down to be eye level. 

“It’s not dress up, Angie. I’m a girl.” Said Grypha as she gently patted Angie’s head.

“I thought you were a boy though.” Was Angie’s reply while putting her hand up to her face in a thoughtful look.

“I did too, for a while at least. But I realised I was a girl. I was scared to show it though.” Grypha explained. 

“Why would you be scared to show that you’re a girl when you’re pretty like a princess. Or a witch. A princess witch!” Angie said, confused slightly. 

“There’s mean people who don’t think girls and boys that realise they’re such later in life should get to be themselves.” Grypha explained once again. 

Angie frowned and huffed. “I’m beating up those poopybutts! Boys are icky but you shouldn’t be mean to them like that! And not letting girls be themselves is the worst!” Angie threw her arms in the air before giving Grypha a hug. “Point me in the direction of the poopybutts to beat up.” She continued. Grypha smiled and hugged Angie back.

“I see that everything here is under control so you two girls have fun, Grypha make sure she doesn’t stay up past ten.” Mrs. Drak said as she exited the apartment.

“Of course Mrs. Drak, she’ll be out as a light before 10!” Grypha said towards Mrs. Drak as she closed the door. “Alright Angie. I got the switch. Wanna beat me at Mario Kart or Pokken?” Grypha asked as she took the console out of her bag. 

“Mario Kart! I want Bowser! Rawwwrr! I’m kidnapping the pretty princess so she can be my wife!” Angie said, giggling, as she went to the living room to wait for Grypha to set up the console. 

“Oh so you want a pretty princess for a wife, Angie?” Asked Grypha while setting up, with a mild joking tone.

“Yeah! Boys are icky so I want a pretty wife! Hey you’re a pretty girl now Gryphy, wanna be my wife?” Angie asked. Grypha would have done a spit take had she been drinking something.

“Oh gosh Angie sweetheart I’m 15 years older than you! I appreciate it really but take your time finding people you like, and want to spend the rest of your life with. It’s a big commitment!” Grypha said while blushing. 

Angie looked down, closed her eyes and nodded. “Got it. I shall find a pretty princess my age to marry!” She said and grinned from ear to ear. Grypha giggled, sat down next to Angie and handed her a controller as Mario Kart launched on the TV. 

 

It was 9:45 PM, Grypha and Angie had been playing for three hours now, taking a short break for dinner and to make sure Angie was ready for bed. Angie was beating Grypha’s ass at Mario Kart pretty severely, which managed to tucker her out. Grypha got Angie in bed and waited for Mrs. Drak to come back. During the wait Grypha checked her phone and looked for reviews for the Huggamug Café. All were positive and really praised the environment. Grypha assured herself she can get the job and played a bit of BotW on the switch as well. 

At 10:08 pm the door to the apartment opened and Mrs. Drak entered, carefully walking around to not make too much noise. “Is she asleep?” She whisper shouted at Grypha, who nodded and got up, collecting her things. “You’re still the best babysitter we could have gotten her. Here’s your pay.” Mrs. Drak said quietly as she handed Grypha an envelope with cash in it. It was thicker than usual and so Grypha looked at Mrs. Drak in confusion. “I realise how tough it is on girls like yourself so there’s a little bit extra to help you out. I’ll text next time I need you.” Mrs. Drak finished. Grypha put the envelope in her bag, shook hands with Mrs. Drak and left. 

 

Grypha had just dozed off after getting home that night, and got up at 8 am to get ready for her interview. Leave a good first impression don’t be nervous about having a first job and applying for it as a girl wait how did Donna apply me well whichever way she did I’ll explain thought Grypha as she finished preparing and made her way towards the Huggamug Café. 

 

Grypha entered the café and awkwardly walked up to the counter. The waitress smiled at her and asked “Hi there, how can I help you?” 

Grypha gulped a bit out of nervous “Hel-hello I’m Katie Grypha I have an interview here at ten?” She said twiddling her thumbs nervously

“O-oh you’re the possible new hire, huh, uhm, lemme go get Rebecca for you, hun. I’m Kodi by the way.” Said Kodi, going towards the back room. Shortly thereafter a lady Grypha figured was Rebecca walked out and approached her. 

“Hi there, welcome, glad to meet you. Come on let’s sit down and do the thing.” Rebecca said, extending her hand for a handshake. Grypha shook back, trying to have a firm one but not really succeeding. “So, why would you like to work here?” Asked Rebecca as they sat down.

“I’ve heard this place is very LGBT friendly and has a positive atmosphere…” Grypha began talking before Rebecca cut her off.

“You’re not interviewing to be a secretary for a multimillion company, be honest.” Rebecca said. 

Grypha took a breath, straightened her back and began from the top. “I’ve come out to my friends a week ago and began transitioning and so I want some income to help with that.” She said as she looked at Rebecca, who nodded.

“Oh wait I didn’t recognize you you were here a week ago with your friends right?” She asked. Grypha nodded. “Well the note I left with the sundae was from the heart. And I do understand your reasoning. So why try here instead of elsewhere?” Was another question Rebecca had.

“Well my friend Donna was very pro-active and got me an interview here before I even started looking. Which I’m thankful for but it was a bit of a shock.” Replied Grypha.

“Alright got it. Any previous experience working in a café?” Continued Rebecca

“No, this would be my first proper job. I’ve done some babysitting as just like extra cash but nothing like being a waitress.” Was Grypha’s reply. Rebecca’s interview style and entire presence was really putting her at ease.

“Alright, last questions, when can you start and what hours can you do?” Rebecca looked into Grypha’s eyes as she asked this.

“I-I can start when you’d like me to start and I can give you my uni schedule for an idea of hours.” Replied Grypha, nervous from the direct eye contact. 

“Okay then, you start tomorrow. Welcome aboard sweetheart.” Rebecca said as she stood up and shook Grypha’s hand. “Come in here with your uni schedule and I’ll have Kodi help with training you. I’ll have the work contract ready as well.” Finished Rebecca. Grypha sat there a bit stunned. This was her first interview for her first job that she was very nervous for and she still got it. Kodi approached Grypha with a menu. 

“Congratulations...I’m excited to start working with you sweetie, sorry if I’m not the best at training you tomorrow.” Said Kodi. “If you’d like to order something before you go I’ll see with Rebecca about making it on the house for you.” Continued the wolf. Grypha picked up the menu, looking through it. 

“I-I think I could use an ice tea? Also yes excited to work with you as well Kodi I’m sure you’ll do great I’m more worried about myself.” Said Grypha as she put down the menu and placed a hand on her forehead. Kodi nodded and walked off to prepare the order. She returned shortly thereafter and gave Grypha the ice tea. “Thanks Kodi.” Grypha said before drinking the tea. 

“I checked with Rebecca and you can have that on the house hun.” Said Kodi before waving and walking away. 

“Thank you!” Grypha replied, finishing the drink before leaving. While passing by Kodi at the counter she finished with “See you tomorrow Kodi!” waving as she exited. Kodi waved back.

 

Grypha made her way home, still shocked over the fact she was hired. Upon making it home she plopped on the couch and took out her phone to message Donna.

Cry-phon: Donna what the hell kind of dirt did you have on Rebecca from Huggamug? I got hired on the spot after like 5 minutes of talking?

garbagedumpgoblin: I didn’t. Rebecca is too nice there’s literally zero valuable or useable dirt I could have dug up on her. I just called let them know your situation she agreed to the interview

Cry-phon: How come you’re not working for the government with your negotiation skills?

garbagedumpgoblin: blacklisted. I made a mess the two days I was working there. I’m lucky I wasn’t tried for treason for unlicensed scrying.

Cry-phon: WHAT???

garbagedumpgoblin: I’m joking. You’ll never know. 

Grypha sighed and closed the app. She had the rest of the day to herself but absolutely no idea what to do with it. I got games to play I could study but I’m still way too surprised by that thought Grypha as she laid on the couch. She got up and decided to revise a bit for uni. Grypha managed about two hours of it before she went to kill time playing zelda. 

 

She woke up the following morning both nervous and excited for her first day of working. She had a print out of her uni schedule to give to Rebecca. She made her way over to the Huggamug, expecting to see Kodi at the counter. Instead she saw a male wolf with a suspiciously similar coat of fur as Kodi. “Hi I’m Katie Grypha, I start today, nice to meet you. I thought that it was only Rebecca and Kodi working here.” Said Grypha, extending her hand to the somewhat curious wolf. The wolf before her giggled slightly.

“Oh hun it was just me and Rebecca.” Said the wolf. “I’m Kodi.” Kodi continued. 

Grypha was a bit confused. “Did you visit an instant shift clinic yesterday after work?” She asked.

“No no, nothing like that sweetie. Rebecca let me know you’re trans so I know it’s okay to trust you. I’m genderfluid, and my body shifts to fit my current gender.” Explained Kodi, slightly embarrassed. 

You could almost see the lightbulb light up above Grypha’s head. “Oh! I got it. That’s really cool Kodi. Iiiiimportant question though, should I use male pronouns for you during boy days, or they/them all the time?” She asked, hoping to make sure she didn’t offend her senior at work.

“It’s always she/her for me hun. Thanks for asking though. Rebecca is in the back with your contract.” Said Kodi as she pointed towards the Employees Only door.

“No problem at all Kodi, thanks for the directions.” Grypha thanked Kodi as she went for the back room. 

Opening the door she could see Rebecca sitting there. Rebecca looked up as Grypha entered the room. 

“Hiya Katie, glad to see you. The work contract is right here, so read it over.” She said as she handed Grypha the papers and Grypha sat down. 

“I brought my uni schedule like you asked.” Said Grypha while handing Rebecca the paper she was carrying. 

“Thank you, I’ll make sure to work with it.” Rebecca replied while checking the schedule over. Grypha read over the contract in the meantime and signed it without hesitation, handing the signed papers to Rebecca. “And thanks for that. Welcome to the Huggamug Crew, we’re glad to have you.” Rebecca smiled at Grypha. 

“I’m glad to be here, and I found out why Donna said this place was trans friendly. I thought Kodi had a sibling or something when I saw her today.” Grypha replied. 

“A lot of people do assume that before she lets them know about her situation. And you can bet if anyone bullies her about it here they’re blacklisted and I personally throw them out. Please be gentle with her. She’s really sweet and my best friend. I don’t want to fire you for hurting her” Rebecca said, smiling at Grypha with a smile that was at the same time comforting and terrifying. Grypha nodded. 

“I wouldn’t dare hurt her and this’ll just get me some brownie points I made sure I didn’t misgender her with pronoun usage.” Grypha added. Rebecca nodded and kept the smile. 

“Glad to hear it. If anyone tries to bully you by misgendering you you let me or Kodi know and I’ll deal with them, alright? Zero-tolerance policy for bigotry and non acceptance. We don’t want customers with closed off hearts.” Rebecca said and the smile went from split comforting terrifying to full on comforting in Grypha’s mind. 

“I’m really glad to hear that Rebecca. I’ve been really worried about being myself, and despite having been full time for a week I’m still terrified of people reacting to me negatively.” Said Grypha, looking at Rebecca and smiling. “Thank you.” She continued. Rebecca stood up and walked over to Grypha, giving her a quick hug. 

“I wouldn’t want anyone hurt or feeling scared, you’re safe here.” Rebecca said after the hug.

“I appreciate it Rebecca. I should probably get to training with Kodi.” Grypha said as she started getting up. 

“Just a second, one more thing.” Rebecca said while handing Grypha an apron with the Huggamug logo on it. “Once again, welcome to the crew.” Rebecca patted Grypha’s shoulder and went to start prep. Grypha put on the apron and exited the back room. 

Yeah, I’ll like working here she thought as she walked over to Kodi to begin her training.

Thanks for reading and getting through this, if you wish to support me financially you can do so through my patreon, https://www.patreon.com/SynTheGuardian , where I post everything, including exclusive stories and chapters of my longer stories right as I finish writing them, so you don't have to stick to a weekly upload schedule of waiting.

And if you wish to chat, you can follow this link to join the discord server https://discord.gg/VDVMVrc

24