Chapter 57: In the City of Ice
467 0 27
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

This was going to be their toughest shot.

Bowsette hadn't spoken to Crystal King in decades. He worked together back when Bowsette had captured all the Star Spirits by hiding one of them away, but even then they had made no direct contact, preferring to handle the communication between lesser representatives.

They hadn't even had a tough past, either; Crystal King was simply done with that phase of his life, apparently. At least that's all she'd been able to gather in all the time since then.

But for now, Bowsette and her two guests had just detrained at Shiver City Station, and the Mayor of Shiver City was there to greet them.

"Welcome, welcome, my fabulous guest...s..." Oh, there he was, looking at Bowsette with bewilderment. At this point she was used to the greeting, but she still hadn't figured out how to tell the difference between those surprised that the Lordess Herself, Wrecker of Households had arrived in their lives, and those who were just taken aback by her physical appearance.

Before you say anything, yeah, she was wearing her exact same outfit even in the snow. She was a fire-breathing dragon-turtle; she wasn't cold, don't worry.

"I trust our accommodations are in order?" Peach asked.

"Yes, of course," the mayor said. "There have been several reports forwarded to your hotel room for your reading pleasure and we have booked you three of our finrest suites."

"Oh, that won't be necessary," Peach said. "We only need two." Bowsette's breath went cold all of a sudden, as the blood rushed to her cheeks. "One for Toadette and myself will be fine."

"Of course, of course. As you wish."

Toadette began to speak "Actually-"

"Yes, that is what we wish."

The mayor left to go confirm some more things while several Bumpies skated up to the girls and took their bags away and towards the hotels. Bowsette had gotten used holding to that giant backpack but maaaaaan it felt good to have that off her back. She'd like to take her shell off, too, but she wasn't going to let her guard down just yet. This place was snowy and cheery, as it apparently was year-round, but she didn't trust it one bit.

She had good reason to. She knew that they were being followed.

As they began walking away from the train platform, Toadette looked at peach and asked, "Why'd you let them book a room for me? You know I was going to visit my cousin while you guys go to the castle or whatever."

"Just in case," Peach said. "If anyone wanted to attack us in plain sight, the hotel would be the perfect place to do it. So... that's our insurance."

"So I'm a decoy?!" she shouted.

"Shhh. No, your ROOM is a decoy."

Toadette still wasn't taking it well, though.

Near the center of the town, there was a Duplighost lying in wait, riding a Reznor on its back. "Hello," he said to them.

"I trust our accommodations are in order?" asked Bowsette, mirroring Peach's formal tone as best she could.

"I have relayed your message to the Crystal King. If he finds favor with you, I will appear again in the form of a beautiful Bumpie female and escort you. You will not miss me."

With that, the Reznor disappeared and turned into a Duplighost; the other was now standing on their shoulders. "Goodbye," the two said before turning into Swoops and flittering away.

"I hope we can reach him soon," Bowsette said. "I am not keen on the idea of fighting our way through Crystal Palace."

"I'm not keen on fighting at all," Peach said.

"It might be unavoidable this time."

And Bowsette was right. Fighting would be unavoidable, They just didn't realize from who.

27