Chapter 59: Direct Line
438 1 25
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The Shiver City Mayor was in a complete panic as he saw the scene unfold in the middle of the city just moments ago. A Nimbus boy, possibly the new King Mallow himself, came out of nowhere to attack the city's three esteemed guests, causing a major hysteria across the city. The lively wintery atmosphere, the one the city's tourism was very heavily invested in, was destroyed as people were refusing to come out of their homes, and the market bazaar had become little more than empty space.

This was not at all what the plan was supposed to be.

The mayor called up the special telephone line, desperately hoping there would be an answer immediately.

"Hello?"

"Hello! This is the Mayor of Shiver City! I need your help! Now!"

"Wha... What? Do you know who you are speaking to? Mind your tone."

"Forgive me, Chancellor," the mayor said. "But a terrible scene has unfolded in the middle of Shiver City. I believe the King Mallow of Nimbus Land has come and attempted to kill Princess Peach and Lordess Bowsette."

"Well, did he succeed?"

"Of course not! How could one angry man defeat two of the most powerful magic users in the Mushroom Kingdom?"

"I had counted on it injuring them, but it appears they were not even incapacitated. We needed to separate them. Do we know why they are here, yet?"

"Wait, you called Mallow to Shiver City?" the mayor asked.

"Of course. Do you know-"

"You should have told me! I would have forced them into a less public location, because now they are rattled and so is my city! How will I ever be able to have a functioning city if all my citizens are scared like-"

"Listen up," the Chancellor said. "Strike that tone with me, and I will make sure that you are relegated to a status lower than Down Under Land. You will be nothing. Toads will need a passport just to visit you. I promised you independence with full economic benefits if you manage to defeat or kill these two women. But if you fail, I will make sure Shiver City becomes a mere blip on the map of the world. Even Sherbet Land will be more prominent than you."

"I.. I understand," said the mayor.

"Now, tell me. Do you know why they have come to Shiver City?"

"I believe... my people saw that they spoke to a pair of Duplighosts shortly before the attack. They appear to be here to have an audience with the Crystal King."

"Interesting," the Chancellor said. "I have a battalion of Shy Guys coming to your city to assist you, but do wait until they have returned from the Crystal Palace to act. I want to know what they are planning."

"Yes, sir, Chancellor sir."

Click.

The mayor had made a pact that he could not get out of. He was in the midst of a deal that was going to change Shiver City forever... for better, or for worse. And from the looks of the chaos caused by the fight earlier, it was likely to be for the worse.

He needed to act, and fast.

25