Chapter 5 – Combustion
261 2 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 5 – Combustion

Seth and Isaac gawked as Marley stretched and told them, “Not that that’s my name but it’s my favorite name I remember. Oh, and you lot still have your tags…”

She approached and pointed at their name tags. “Isaac and Jessica. Serviceable names. I burned my tag off. I didn’t like it at all.”

Holding a lighter taken from her pocket, Marley told them, “I can do the same for you if you like. Doesn’t even hurt.”

Seth quickly responded, “That’s alright. My name is actually Seth anyway.”

Marley smirked. “A man’s name? I’m hardly one to talk though.” She flipped the lighter in the air with her eyes shut but caught it easily as she continued, “So, how far have you gotten?”

A puzzled moment of silence followed. Seth asked, “What do you mean?”

Tucking her lighter away, Marley held a hand out with a smile and said, “In this maze. How much have you explored? I’ve already made a basic map.”

Looking to one another, Seth and Isaac had to admit, “A room?”

Marley’s shoulders drooped. “…Alright. So, you’re telling me…you got out of the cube and this is all you’ve seen?”

Seth had to tell her, “Pretty much.” Isaac added, “I changed rooms…”

Grimacing, Marley puffed and inquired, “So, you don’t even know the rest of this place? Or why I’m wearing goggles?”

They shook their heads at the same time. Rubbing an ear, Marley offered, “Well, the goggles are because the corridors make you deathly afraid of unseen monsters. Not sure how, but the goggles keep the fear out.”

Isaac’s eyes widened. “When I looked out I thought I saw something terrible. That’s why I blocked it up. So, there’s nothing actually there?”

With a dark, morbid smile, Marley noted, “Oh...there’s definitely something there. Why do you think I made stuff blow up? Because I like explosions? I do, but that's not the sole reason.”

Seth asked, “...Something?”

Marley tipped her goggles down and glanced towards the opening. “Best word for them. But they die easily. Don’t get too close though. They’ll consume you in an instant.” Isaac leaned forward.

With an attentive audience, she continued, “Something in the dark. Stalking without form. Eating without mouth. Watching without eyes. Seeing all things. Patient for your unguarded moments before it strikes.”

Both watched her wordlessly before Seth folded her arms and asked, “So, you’ve seen a lot. What is this place then?”

Marley’s smile broadened harshly. “Isn’t it obvious? I’ve seen floating eyeballs. There are monsters and horrors untold. I’ve had memories of my family appear like rips in time. There’s only one place this could be.”

Isaac, clutching his hands, urged, “And that is?”

She answered simply, “HELL. Or just the bad side of the afterlife. But it’s clear we died, and this is where we ended up.” She leaned against the wall with a calm look of confidence.

Isaac narrowed his eyes and said, “You don’t know that! And, besides, I didn’t die.”

Marley lowered her head slightly. “I figure strange, floating eyes would be evidence enough. And you did die. We all died. We just don’t remember it….perhaps because we all died violently or suddenly. I’m hoping I died in a massive explosion with my little bits sailing for several hundred meters.”

Isaac clutched his head and yelled, “I didn’t die, dammit! Quit lying!”

Seth moved to put a hand on Isaac but he flailed and crouched down, whimpering.

Marley sighed and said, “Oh sweet, blissful denial….Wanna see something?”

Seth looked over to watch as Marley removed a grenade from her pocket, pulled the pin, set it with a *click*, and softly counted, “Five seconds…four…three…two…”

A fireball consumed Marley’s top section as Seth flailed to cover herself and Isaac jerked up in horror.

The smoke soon cleared. Her hair was mussed up but nothing else had changed. She exclaimed, as she touched her head, “Exhilarating! Although I totally need a comb now…”

Seth hung his head and Isaac looked blankly ahead. After a moment, Seth had to say, “We’re dead…so we can’t die again…”

With a snap of her fingers, Marley announced, “Give the girl a big ten points!”

Isaac only said, “It can’t be so. I don’t believe it. It’s gotta be something else…”

With a look of annoyance, Marley pointed her grenade launcher at Isaac and asked, “Would you believe it this way? Burning isn’t painful for me but maybe it is for others. Wanna find out?”

Isaac whimpered and shielded his face. Seth leaned close and said, “Leave him alone.”

Marley leaned on her leg and folded her arms. “A boy so brave he needs his girlfriend to protect him…”

Seth answered back, “I’m not his girlfriend. I’m…not even really a girl. This place changed me…” She gestured to herself and swallowed. Probably not the best time to admit it but she felt compelled to.

Raising an eyebrow, Marley said, “Well, then I guess there are things I haven’t encountered before…So...Seth. Not a boyish name for a girl. Just your name before.”

Isaac looked over at Seth with a faint feeling in his eyes like she’d betrayed him. Seth tried to ignore it as she said, gesturing when appropriate, “I saw myself as a girl in that mirror over there…then everything I touched in this room started changing me.”

Isaac hopped off the bed. He rubbed at his nose and immediately pointed out, “But…but you made me look in that mirror….”

Marley chuckled and quipped, “Sounds like the Little Miss wanted some company.”

Seth defended herself, “It stopped after me. It only affected me.”

Isaac jumped in, “You don't know that! I don’t want to be a girl.”

Marley injected, “In my opinion, it’d be an improvement. You seem like a pitiful man.”

Snapping, Isaac fought back, “You don’t know me! You’re just some crazy lady with explosives…”

Marley raised a finger and added, “You’re right. A crazy lady with that…and a way out for you two. Unless you like the dark things sneaking in and gobbling up what’s left.” She produced a pair of goggles, holding them by the straps. “The only catch is…you both have to do something for me first.”

Isaac folded his arms and turned away. “I won’t do it.”

Seth looked sadly at Isaac and told Marley, “I’ll do it...can I do it for both of us?”

Isaac glanced over. Marley stroked her chin and remarked, “It’s really a job for two. And a death sentence for one. Well, what counts as death at this point.”

Seth reiterated, “I’ll do it. I don’t care.” Isaac dipped his head.

Marley gave Seth a long look and noted, “You don’t even know what I’ll be asking of you.”

Stepping forward, Seth reached out for the goggles with a hand and said, “Then tell me.”

Passing off the goggles, Seth immediately put them on and pushed back her hair so they would be comfortable. Raising a finger, Marley began, “Left out here then left right right at each junction afterwards. You’ll know when you get there. Whatever you do… NEVER OPEN THE BOX….that’s all.”

Narrowing her eyes at the directions, Seth eventually gave a nod and walked through the opening in the wall. She didn’t look back to see what Isaac was doing.

To herself, Seth muttered, “Left.”

She followed the corridor to the left. She regretted not taking the flashlight. The pathway was dark at first, more of a catacomb than a hallway, but not as dark as when Isaac was peering out. The ceiling stretched into shadow and the walls barely seemed to hold any light. Everything was covered in gray soot. It was faint all around, less than twilight but more than the darkest of nights. The spill of the opening in the room didn’t travel far but Seth could see enough of the way ahead to know she wasn’t walking off a cliff.

As she walked, she visualized her male self beside her. It talked to her.

“You can’t trust either of them.”

She answered, no echo carrying with her voice, “Nothing else I can do. Should I rot inside a locked room?”

“Should you die eaten by monsters?”

Adjusting her goggles, Seth noted, “I have these.”

“Who’s to say that crazy girl isn’t lying and she just wants to get rid of you?”

“Then I’m already dead. Maybe it doesn’t matter. But I won’t die cowering…”

Her male self chuckled. “Of course not, we can’t disappoint Steven. Only he’s not here and what does it matter anyway?”

Rubbing at her soft cheek in the dark, Seth noticed the first junction, a four-way opening, and took the left. Nothing changed about the appearance or structure of the corridors from one to the other. There was just enough light from somewhere to move about but not enough to feel comfortable as the shadows lingered closely on all sides.

Male Seth followed along and continued, “Or maybe he is here. He’s dead after all.”

Turning to glare, Seth felt the memory scratch at him. In a moment, it brought full pain. Steven had died. In a moment, the corridor was gone, replaced by a regular house hallway and a door at the front. A set of knocks fell on the door.

Automatically, Seth approached it and opened the door. Standing at the threshold, she looked out. She had the vague impression of a pair of uniformed military men standing before her. Their caps and uniforms were there but she couldn’t resolve any other details. Her legs felt weak and wobbly.

One of them said, “Are you Steven *screeeech*’s sister, Jessica?” The last name sounded like a record skipping but Seth didn’t seem to realize it til a moment later. Despite that, she pressed, “That’s me. What’s happened?”

They began, “It was a training mission at night in a Super Sea Stallion helicopter. An accident. Your brother died while trying to rescue others from the wreckage. We're deeply sorry for your loss.” The rest blurred together. A pamphlet. Information about counseling. Some muddled words. Phantoms of family passed by crying as Seth resolved a casket at the end of a room. She put her hand on it, but it vanished away with the return of the dark corridor.

Seth glared at her male self as he folded his arms and said, “That’s right. You were his sister. Not his little brother. Still…he treated you the same and maybe you wanted to be like a brother to him.”

“You’re lying! I know who I am!”

This brought on laughter from male Seth. Mentally, Seth said, “Go away…” to the figure she saw before her, but it seemed to have taken on a life of its own.

“You know who you are? Really? Then what’s your last name?”

Seth’s mouth undulated as she clenched her fists. She struggled to come up with it. It had to be there. She reiterated, “It’s there. I know it but…you’re trying to mess with me. What are you? Are you the monster?”

Another laugh. “You poor thing. You really think Marley is right and there are monsters here. Why don’t you take off the goggles and really see?”

Clinging tightly to them, Seth shot back, “Screw you! I’m not taking them off. Why should I listen to something I imagined?”

Bending forward, male Seth put a finger to her forehead. She could feel it. Her eyes widened as male Seth said, “I should say the same thing.”

Clutching her face, Seth staggered back to yell, but the corridor was empty. Male Seth seemed to vanish even as she was looking at him, without her noticing. She looked left and right and saw nothingness.

To herself, she resolved, “He was nothing but an illusion from my mind, a monster in disguise.”

Panting, Seth made sure she was turned the right way as she said, “Gotta keep going. Maybe think of bunnies and flowers this time.”

A moment of thought put those in Seth’s head but she quickly retreated from them, knowing that both those things could easily turn malicious in the worst kind of place. Her mental visual shifted to Venus flytraps of massive size and carnivorous bunnies before she dispelled those thoughts.

She kept going and made her next right and then another after a very long corridor. After that last right, she came upon a clear cut in the wall leading to an illuminated room. She looked through carefully. It wasn’t that different than her own space. It was made up more like a regular living room with a large couch and a kitchen area. She stepped through and immediately heard whimpering and fast feet. To her right, she saw something dash behind a chair. The feet were clearly showing below. Small feet with little boots.

Softly, as kindly as possible, she said, “Hello. I’m not here to hurt you. Someone sent me.” She took her goggles off and blinked against the brightness of the room.

Whimpering continued from behind the chair. Sighing, Seth offered, “She called herself Marley. Maybe you know her.”

All the movement behind the chair ceased. Seth thought she heard a faint gasp. Slowly, the figure behind the couch crept out. As it did, Seth’s look retreated into a frown which swelled into surprise and alarm.

In the same clothes with the same hair and body, there stood Marley. Only her expression was demure and shy and her gaze didn’t meet Seth's as she said, her hands folded together, “That’s my name. I’m Marley…”

Seth held her hands up and offered, “Okay, so you have a twin sister?”

Cute girl Marley gave a careful shake of her head as she said, “Not that…I know of.”

Rubbing her eyes, Seth sighed and said only, “Of course…” She reminded herself that the other Marley admitted the name was only one she’d chosen.

Bowing, this Marley inquired, “Did I say something wrong?” Seth waved a hand and told her, “No. It’s just I met someone who looks like you. But she was very different in personality. She liked to blow things up.”

Marley squeaked and shook her head as she said, “How terrible! I hope they didn’t hurt anyone.”

Scratching at her chin, Seth shrugged. “Not really. But she seems like she might.”

Seizing Seth’s hand, this shy Marley said, with sudden intensity, “Take me to her!...If that’s okay…” Her intensity dialed back with her last words as she glanced downwards.

The problem with taking her soon became apparent as fear seized her the moment she stood at the threshold to the hallway. Likely the monsters. Seth informed Marley, “Shut your eyes. That should do it.”

That wasn’t enough for her as she bit at her nails and wondered, “What if I peek?!”

Seth covered her eyes with a hand and offered, “Better?”

“Maybe. I guess it works…”

It wasn’t the best arrangement but with Seth’s goggles and Marley’s eyes covered, they were able to make their way back to the other room without apparitions, monsters, or anything else dangerous. Isaac was bowled over in the middle of the room, clutching his stomach and groaning softly.

Helping him up, Seth noticed his hair seemed a little shaggy. Leaning against the couch, Isaac explained, “I got slammed by that bomb nut…HEY!” His gaze found Marley cowering behind Seth. He was about to yell when Marley preemptively yelled out plaintive repetitions of, “I’m sorry! I’m sorry! I’m sorry!” before Seth put a hand on her shoulder to calm her.

Scratching at his scruffy hair, Isaac puzzled over it and this submissive Marley a moment before uttering, “What?”

Seth noted, “Believe me, if I had any clue, I’d say but…I’m completely lost.”

Slipping onto the couch, Isaac brushed a little blood off his nose, which had a different shape than before. “Me too…brother…sister…whatever.”

A gurgling issued from Marley’s stomach and she clutched herself a moment before asking, “Not to intrude…or anything but does anyone have a little something I could nibble on? Sorry.”

Seth raised her eyebrows and noted, “I hadn’t even thought about food.” Isaac offered, “Thought about it myself but I’m not hungry yet.”

Seth rubbed at her eyes a little. Notions of rest would come eventually as she assessed, “Not only food though. We need to figure out where we’ll sleep with a crazy bomber girl around. We should take shifts…” She offered out her hands to Isaac, adding, “Depending on who trusts one another.”

Isaac glared slightly at Seth. He looked her over and said, “You could’ve just run off. And at least you didn’t slam me. But warn me next time. With this hair, I’m still worried I’m slowly turning into a chick.” He fluffed out his thick locks.

Seth and Marley both apologized, although the latter had no reason to. For safety, Seth took down and turned the mirror away from them. Then they decided to split up and search the two rooms for something resembling food. Seth had the bathroom first. It was the closest-looking thing to a normal room and now had plenty of drawers to check.

For extra measure, she thought about all sorts of good food which might turn up in the drawers, especially non-perishables from canned foods to sweet crackers. She did this in the hope that something or someone watching her knew what she was thinking. She noted, “Don’t feel hungry but it would keep us occupied to eat something.”

After crouching down a moment to look at the lowest drawer, Seth straightened and sighed.

“So…Mr. Hatch…Are you ready to do this?” The words came from behind him. Seth turned around suddenly. He was in a different room. Another flashback?

An older man with a dark beard and recessed eyes sat at a table. A withering plant lay in front of him. Bits of paper and folders were spread across it. Seth couldn’t really resolve the details of the room. They faded out to oblivion like the edges of a page. Automatically, Seth sat in the chair opposite the bearded man.

Adjusting his suit, the bearded man pulled out a pen and said, “All the paperwork is in order. All it needs is a signature.”

Seth blinked. Looking down at himself, he could tell he was a man again, himself. Gulping, he asked, “A signature?”

The bearded man didn’t appear amused as he noted, “To close the deal on this small matter.” He pushed the pen out further towards Seth’s hand.

Seth wondered, What do I say? I have no idea what this is. Is it a memory or something else? He offered the man behind the desk, “Perhaps I should read it again…”

The man brought his hand down in front of Seth and said, “Reading time is over. Just sign it and you’ll have more money than you could ever dream of.”

Seth took the pen. Looking at the papers, everything above SIGNATURE appeared as wavy lines, illegible to him. Pressing his lips together, he asked, “Could you explain this last part for me….just briefly?”

The man was beginning to look angry. “Are you completely daft?! Just sign the blasted thing!” His fist slammed on the table. On a whim, Seth chucked the pen across the room and said, “I refuse.”

The man roared at him in fury. Then his mouth peeled back unnaturally, wide open and spreading across like a black hole. It sucked air, pulling Seth in. He covered himself. But, as he moved, he realized the chair was gone and he was back in the bathroom. Looking in the mirror, he noted, “Back….as a girl though…” Indeed, she was Jessica again, standing right before the cabinet.

In the main room, Isaac found graham crackers and split them with Marley, who was eating ravenously. With a calm look, he held out several to share with Seth and asked, “Did you find anything in there? You were looking for a while.”

For Seth, it hadn’t been more than a minute. She told them both, “I had a vision. Only I don’t know for sure if it was real. A man wanted me to sign a paper.”

Marley and Isaac both looked down and Seth frowned. In a moment, they told her, one after the other, “I’ve had that vision too. I signed something…but I never found out what it was.”

Clasping her hands together, Seth offered, “This could be it. Maybe we signed up for some weird sci-fi experiment and that’s why we’re here?”

Isaac had to admit it was a stretch, inquiring, “With all we’ve seen, do you really think that’s possible?”

Seth had to retreat to doubt with a stroke of her chin. Marley kept eating. With a shrug, Seth added, “Well, at least I learned my last name is Hatch. Seth Hatch. And I’m sure of it.”

Isaac tensed up and bit into his lip as he mentioned, “In the vision, I was called Isaac Hatch.”

Marley chimed in softly, “And he called me Marley Hatch…”

*END PART ONE*

6