Chapter 22-1: The Storm
222 6 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 22 – The Storm

The breathing walls seemed to flow towards Hitomi. She cast her gaze on me. “And I will know why!”

She clenched her hand before her mouth. “No… it’s pointless to even talk about it. You still won’t understand.”

I steadied the flame inside and responded, “Try. Please. I want to understand.”

Jamie took a step towards Tara and winced. His hand quaked a little.

Hitomi took a long breath and the house settled. “I still need to wait… I need to be patient, just like you told me.”

I shook my head. The flame wavered. “You said it’s time. Then it’s time for all the rest. Tell us.”

Keiko took a half-step towards me but faced Hitomi, “I support you, but it would help if you explained. Help us understand what you’ve done and what you mean to do.”

Hitomi panted a few times and looked around. “It’s my recipe. Like Arisu’s recipes. Only mine is going to bring you all back.”

I took a half-step closer, still feeling some residual from Mami and a little from Katsumi on the far couch, and asked, “I did things like this?”

Hitomi rubbed her hands. “No. You made food. Perfect food…” She bowed her head. “I’m not sure if that memory will make it through.”

“Through?” Some barely-conscious intuition in me seemed to already know what she meant. For my mind, such understanding eluded me.

Hitomi set a hand on Tara. “Through these human girls, who I crafted from the most intimate parts of myself.”

The darkened confusion about her admission began to lift. I looked back at Akiko clinging tightly to me.

“You used your wind…”

She coughed and tensed her throat. “Not quite. The influence is different. If I inspired one of our kind, then she would be…” Hitomi twitched a little. “…that would be like… a child. A spirit awakened.”

She held her hands out. “Think of these girls as reservoirs for what my sisters need to be like they were before.”

I dislike that notion almost as much as the food one. “So they’ll be emptied… for us. Then what? You didn’t answer that earlier. What will happen to this place and these girls?”

Hitomi’s reaction was a soft whimper which echoed through the walls. “I never wished to keep secrets from my sisters. It pains me even to keep things from shells. But my plans required it.”

Jamie cracked his gaze from Tara. “Answer his question! What will happen to Ogawa… and those here?”

Hitomi laid down her hands.

Jamie added as a final thought, “And let these girls go!”

“I can answer your questions but I need to deal with these girls in the proper way. There is a procedure… Just like the one I outlined in that little recipe Nana left you.”

She pulled a bookmark from a pocket and began to read the text.

“I wrote it like you would compose your own recipes, Arisu. Another little reminder with all the rest.”

She recited the first few lines and noted, “Variable ingredients of humans and… pieces that came from the world you know as Brookville. And from Toki’s creation. For some, I was able to take originals to lend their presence to my recipe…” Her eyes drifted over to Tara.

“…for the rest I had to reproduce the originals. Tracing around Toki’s work again…” She made a subtle motion in the air. The wind gusted outside.

Hitomi cleared her throat. “Stock is everything you see in this world. As for the ‘full’ stock. Well, I’m not proud of what I had to do for a ‘full’ stock.”

The wind began to hum.

Keiko clutched her hands. “Did you… kill?”

Hitomi’s head swung rapidly. Something heavy tumbled outside. “NO! Never. Just imagine a world dense with what you think of as anime. Now imagine using it for a broth.”

Jamie tightened his hand over his mouth and yanked it away suddenly to say, “You… used an entire world???”

Hitomi clenched her hands. “For part of it. I needed to do that on my own. So, I just… punctured it.”

Her hands trembled a little, no matter how tightly she clenched them. “It was like every joy and bit of light tumbled out… but I had what I needed. I took the stock and filled your ‘Brookville’ with it. I remade this world the way I wanted.”

She set her hands apart and the windows rattled again. “I had to pull the three of you out for a while. The blink of an eye to you, nine months to this world. I got everything ready.”

I wanted to chime in with questions and clarifications, but I felt hesitant to do so, lest her openness with answers drift away.

Jamie just listened as well, and Keiko held her eyes on Hitomi. Tara clutched her collar and the others looked into the air with blank, still eyes.

Hitomi looked down. It seemed as though she could see an invisible structure before her. She touched it in places like a table and pointed to one end. “I saturated Ogawa stock with my influence. I managed it like a slow acid to dissolve your shells away.”

She panted a little and grit her teeth. “It jerked in awkward and inelegant starts and stops. Hardly the way our kind should be freed. But it worked.”

I thought of how we grew more feminine suddenly and at different speeds.

I held my breath a little and quietly asked, “So… were the girls what caused our changes or just Ogawa itself?”

Hitomi relaxed her mouth. “It was three-fold. Ogawa provided the broth, the girls were like concentrated flavor bags, and I gave a little push of influence from the wind… every so often.”

Jamie shook his head. “I barely understand it all but… you did all this… just so you could have your sisters?”

Hitomi shook her head back at him. “You can’t understand yet. Not till I empty a few of the ‘flavor bags’.”

An alarming thought came back around to me. “You said the full stock turned joyless and dark… if you empty Ogawa and these girls for our sake then…”

Hitomi’s expression looked morbid. “…Ogawa will become a very dark and hopeless place. And not much will be left of these girls either. They’ll probably just revert back to the core fragment that I… inspired.”

Akiko was watching and listening attentively to Hitomi’s words. She still kept a palm against my side but her other hand was near her mouth, licking at something invisible on her fingertips.

Jamie stomped his feet. “I won’t let you do this. Not to Tara! Not even… to Katsumi… no one deserves such a fate!”

He was right. Every bit of Hitomi’s plan that slipped out just sounded worse and worse. Worlds drained of life just to revive her family. It all felt so wrong and something deep within, my flame, was screaming the same.

Keiko wavered and said, “I don’t want it if an entire world will receive such a terrible fate…”

Hitomi pressed her face with her hands. The wind roared and something wooden creaked and shuddered. “It’s already settled. I shouldn’t have said anything… We have to begin!”

She reached over to grab Tara’s arm. “You’ll be first.”

Tara bowed her head and Hitomi looked at Akiko. “And I can use her to make up the difference for the loss of Ami.”

My flame burst up through my body. The tingles from Mami and Katsumi grew stronger. I set myself between Tara and Jamie.

“You will not touch her…” But Akiko broke from my side and went over to Tara. She glanced at Hitomi and offered her hand out.

Hitomi smiled. Her hands had steadied. A gale still raged against the near window. “It seems she’d rather go back to being what she was than the human illusion you forced upon her.” She pointed to where she wanted Akiko to stand and she went there without complaint.

I watched Akiko. I could feel no expression on my face. She shut her eyes.

Jamie glared and Hitomi smiled back softly. “On second thought…for you, sister, I won’t touch Tara yet…” She waved her hand towards Ms. Ishida, who blinked once and looked around.

“Oh my…” She gasped. “You’re back! Since when… what… it’s like.”

Hitomi approached her and said, “You are part of my plan to get my sisters back. I made you.”

I stepped forward. “No! Why are you telling her?”

Hitomi turned slightly. “It’s not as though you ever would, Arisu. But then you were always so good about keeping things which others should’ve known.”

Ms. Ishida’s expression of confusion only grew, swelling with silent shock as Hitomi continued, “Your mother is my…mother. Your feelings of her are my feelings. But you did come from the old house… as an idea.”

Hitomi drifted her hands. “From Toki’s realm, an idea has the same reality and power as the object that inspires it. You were inspired by a human spirit that dwells inside the Ishida family home.”

I felt a sudden stirring of thought, part a recognition of Keiko’s vision, and part a memory with no ties to any life I could recall. But I remembered the same joy and lingering need to offer warmth and comfort which Ms. Ishida always expressed when I was near her.

Ms. Ishida seemed alarmed. She clutched the side of her neck and quietly asked, “I’m not an Ishida?”

Hitomi nodded. “You’re connected with one of the Ishida ancestors, but that’s all.”

She looked a little woozy, but I felt afraid to approach and draw from Mami or Katsumi. Tara used a hand to steady her.

After a moment, Ms. Ishida asked, “You said I’m part of a plan?”

Hitomi gestured to Jamie, who had taken a few steps away. “Just so you know, Kimi, the wind is keeping all the house openings sealed. And even if you get outside, it will blow you right back in.” Jamie eased his foot forward.

She turned back to Ms. Ishida. “You hold that idea and a potent essence inside you. I am going to use you to bring Kimi back to her full glory. I’m going to remake her and reawaken my sister.”

Ms. Ishida watched her and glanced at Jamie. “What will happen to me?”

“I don’t know for sure. You could go back to being the seed of an idea. You may just not exist anymore.”

She pressed a hand against her cheek. “Do I have a choice?”

“You don’t. I made everyone in Mecchen. I gave each of you a failsafe, but it’s easier this way. The recipe could be tainted if you resist.”

Jamie blurted out, “You always have a choice! Resist! Don’t give in to her! Taint as much as you like!”

Ms. Ishida pressed her hands together. “I don’t know what it is… if it’s something you’ve done to me, or just who I am, but I’m willing to do it. It sounds like a chance to be part of something beautiful.”

Jamie pleaded, “She’s going to destroy the world!”

Hitomi nodded. “I made this world for this purpose.”

Ms. Ishida touched her hair with her hands. “Then my white hair and fear of being outside the house…?”

Hitomi took a slow breath. The winds outside subsided. “Those are traces of what I used to inspire you. For the rest, I always wanted to be motherly like you are. So warm and affectionate. Like I wished Toki…”

Hitomi’s eyes trembled again and she reached up to touch them. Ms. Ishida set her hand on Hitomi’s shoulder. The confusion had left her face. She asked, “How do you need me to help?”

Jamie looked ill. “NO! What are you doing? Fight it! FIGHT HER!”

Ms. Ishida looked over. “I may be second-best at fighting, but I don’t approve of solving problems that way…”

Hitomi pressed her cheek. “That you are. But I never imagined a first-best. That was one of my fears, being second-best.”

Jamie smacked his legs. “DO SOMETHING! Don’t let her get away with this! We’re not even really her sisters!”

Hitomi gave an involuntary wince, which Ms. Ishida noticed.

Ms. Ishida settled her shoulders and let out a long breath. “I don’t know much in all this for sure, but what Hitomi said strikes a chord with me. It’s balanced with something inside me which screams ‘no’ as loudly as you do, Jamie. But that voice doesn’t seem to be able to do anything, I’m afraid.”

Jamie clenched his hands. “Don’t let that voice go! Listen to it!”

Ms. Ishida held her hands in front of her. “I very much wish to live, but if I was made for this purpose, then it’s best that I fulfill my purpose.”

Hitomi guided her hands around Ms. Ishida and a silvery glow emerged. Jamie tugged at his face. “No! Stop it! Kelly… Please!”

I felt like the air itself was restraining me. Hitomi walked Ms. Ishida to Jamie. “Even though this is a part of me, Kimi, there are reminders of you and your girlish grace.”

Jamie turned away. But as he drew his next breath, the silvery color, which sparkled like a cloud brimming with rainbows, touched him. His skin had a shimmering aura. His form took on a strange, kaleidoscope effect. He became several girls at once, all with light blond hair and brown eyes. He soon snapped back but his presence changed.

Jamie’s legs drew together. He held his hands like Ms. Ishida often did. He blushed a bit and took a few dainty steps.

It would’ve been amusing if not for the gray, half-shaded form of Ms. Ishida that was left. Her face could be seen through. Her body looked androgynous and rigid. She drifted to one side obediently, clung to a quiet corner, and gazed emptily at the room.

Hitomi didn’t seem concerned with her. She stared in awe at Jamie. “I can’t believe it… it’s working just like I read. Kimi? Can you understand me?”

Jamie responded immediately to her question and looked back. Her voice sounded even smaller. “Sis? Wha…what? I feel… confused. I’m sorry. Did you need something?” She looked around a little and rested her hand on her chin.

Hitomi clapped her hands and the house shook once in the wind. “Excellent. This is wonderful progress. I’m so glad it works and I’m so very glad more of your girlish presence has returned.”

Keiko regarded Jamie and asked, “…Kimi?”

Jamie looked immediately and asked, “Yes?”

Keiko bit on her nails. “Are you okay?”

She gave a look, as though asked to remember a far off dream. “Okay…?”

Keiko turned to look at Ms. Ishida. “Will Ms. Ishida be okay?” Her face was still buried in her hands. Keiko approached her and tried to touch her shoulder, but her hand went right through. She gasped and took a few steps back.

Hitomi watched Keiko. “Maybe yours should be next while Kimi is acclimating to her first piece…” She then gave me a little look. “I’ll be patient for yours, Arisu. I want it to be perfect. I want you back… and then I’ll finally know why.”

I clenched my hands. “What will happen to Ms. Ishida? You’re not doing anything else ‘till you answer that.”

Hitomi looked back at me with an expression like disappointment. Kimi brushed at her hair, looked down at her clothes, and said, “Ick… how did I get into such a drab outfit?”

Akiko snuck over to Ms. Ishida and started nuzzling the air around her.

Hitomi stewed on my question for a moment, until she said, “What about the answers I want? Did you even… No, it’s pointless to even pose that question to you now. You’re still more human than yourself.”

Jamie tugged on her shirt. “Are there any better clothes around… like a dress or something?” She peered under it quickly. “Cute bra, but I have so many nicer ones in my closet.” She gave a little giggle.

Any trace of the boyish Jamie was gone. It seemed like she was completely Kimi now.

I curled Hitomi’s words in my thoughts as Hitomi directed Kimi towards the pink dress Tara had left on the couch. Kimi twirled and held it to herself. Tara’s brow furrowed as Kimi hiked up the Yumeko sweater and set the plushie aside.

Keiko lingered near the ghostly form of Ms. Ishida and rocked her arms.

I watched Kimi lift her sweater and interrupted, “Umm… why don’t you change in the hallway?”

Kimi paused, then blinked a bit and nodded. “Oh! Good idea!”

She crouched quickly to pick up the plush, almost as a reflex, and dashed around the corner.

I put myself between Keiko and Hitomi. “You’re not taking another life…”

Hitomi sighed. “You don’t understand… Every life in this world is a temporary existence. A fruit at full bloom. Chicken soup for the spirits of my sisters. That’s how I made it.”

I pursed my lips. My mouth felt hot. “So, if you didn’t do this then they would just all die anyway? What about Shioriko and Nina?”

She grumbled and a gust shook the windows, as though kicked. “No, they wouldn’t all die, but something would get them. Food left out in the open naturally attracts scavengers. It’s been exhausting keeping them away.”

7