Chapter 8 – Mother Daughter Rivals
388 0 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The Next Day

Dan splashed cold water on his face in the teacher's bathroom, patting at the bags under his eyes. While drying off he remembered last night, and reminisced with guilty pleasure.

Man oh man, that Reyna is quite a woman! Seriously, I didn’t think she’d ever stop! Heh heh!

After draining Dan like a succubus, Reyna slipped out in the early morning hours while he slept.

She took a shower and rustled around in my dresser. I think she left wearing a pair of my underwear. Nice!

He checked himself in the mirror with a smile, “Life is good!’

The school bell rang for the second period and Dan had class to teach. Alright, let’s have a great day!

Burberry

As his students entered and took their seats Dan saw Rica walk in, but she didn’t greet him and headed straight for her desk. When she sat down, she didn’t look up at him.

Ok, let’s not overthink that, but I don’t have time right now.

“Good morning class!”

“♪ Good morning, Mr. Capra! ♫” sang everyone but Rica.

“Alright, let’s start with a few number exercises usi-”

“Mr. Capra, Ms. Sandstrom is in the hallway walking to the class,” said Donna, seated near the door. “And she’s with somebody.”

“Is that right?” said Dan as he turned to the doorway.

At that moment Ms. Sandstrom entered the room.

“Sorry to interrupt your class, Mr. Capra, but you have a guest who St. Mary’s appreciates very much. And she just needs a moment of your time." From out of the hallway, a beautiful, black haired guest, entered the room.

And the first thing Dan thought when he saw this guest was, ‘Right, because you walking into this classroom makes absolute sense.’

And from the center of class, “Mom?” cried Rica as Ms. Reyna Rai strutted into the room like the queen of England.

“Look, it’s Ms. Rai!” cheered the class.

And Reyna cheered back to them, “♪ Hi Nicky, hi Samantha, ♫ hi everyone! Did you all have a nice ♪ summer?”

“Yes Ms. Rai! And thank you for taking us to Fashion Week!” cried the class, and the gossip began. “Look at her bag, it's Burberry, and her shoes are Manolo Blahniks, and that fierce grey skirt with blazer, that’s Donna Karen girl! Wow, Rica, your mom is so sexy and stylish!”

“Yes, I know! But Mom? What are you doing here?” Rica cried.

Reyna frowned, “Rica, don’t be rude. I’m going to explain to everyone why I’m here,” she said to the class while turning to Dan and opening a legal envelope.

The whole time Dan observed the scene with a grin. Not a grin of confidence, but one of, What the heck have I gotten myself into?

“Mr. Capra!” said Reyna, “I have here a letter of intent to present to you in front of witnesses,” she turned to the class, “And Ms. Sandstrom here was so kind to let you students be my witnesses. Is that ok ladies?”

“Yes Ms. Rai!” cheered the class. Except for Rica who cried, “Hmph!” with her arms crossed.

“Oh, hoo hoo, you’re all dolls!” said Reyna turning Back to Dan, “Now Mr. Capra, I have a notarized letter of intent to donate to your charity, Math For Life, fifty thousand dollars!”

“R-Really?” Dan asked, surprised.

“It’s true!” said Reyna, “The amount will be donated by Mr. Hubert Fillmore of Fillmore Financials, Isn’t that wonderful?”

Dan faced Reyna with a wide fake smile, Donation from Who? Hubert? You mean that fat guy from the party last night?

He then responded, “Wow, Ms. Rai, you coming here is most unexpected, and amazing news for my charity! Thank you so much!” And somehow I know there’s strings attached to all of this.

“That’s wonderful news, Mr. Capra!” cheered the class. Followed by, “So, are Ms. Rai and Mr. Capra dating?” “Yaa! They’re so cute together, I totally ship them!” “Rica? Is Mr. Capra gonna be your dad!”

Rica sat stone faced staring at her desk, while Reyna defended herself, “Oh pishaw, ladies. That’s not true. It’s just Mr. Capra and I both share a passion for education, and I wanted to help him with his cause. That’s all. Were not dating or anything!” she said, as convincing as a cat over a fishbowl.

“Eeeeh?” cried the class, “How suspicious!” They all turned in their seats and faced Rica. “Ricaaaaa? Is this true?”

The class went dead silent as Dan, Reyna, Ms. Sandstrom, and everyone looked at Rica.

And Rica, slowly tilted her head and stared at Reyna, and Dan, while her face contorted to full on evil. Then Rica laughed, “Hm hm hm hm, you silly girls. Always trying to make something out of nothing,” her voice creepy. “And my mom is not lying. In fact, her and Mr. Capra barely know each other, and it’s not like she’s donating fifty thousand out of her own pocket, nope. So tell me, how could my mom and Mr. Capra possibly be a thing?” she stared daggers at Reyna, “Right mom?”

Dead Silence.

Dan, Ms. Sandstrom, and the class gulped, as they all turned to Reyna, to hear her response.

And Reyna, with a cruel smile, and steely eyes, glared back at Rica, and answered in a soft voice. “You’ve always been perceptive, haven’t you baby?”

More silence as the mother and daughter glared at each other, when finally, “But alas, it’s true. Mr. Capra and I are merely acquaintances who are both passionate about education, and that’s all ladies. Nothing more to see. Hee hee!” Reyna chuckled, and turned to Dan.

Dan smiled at Reyna, Thank you for showing up today and throwing a pipe-bomb in my classroom, Reyna. I really appreciate it, now can you please leave!

“Dan, I’ll call you with the details later, is that ok?” asked Reyna, moving closer to him and offering the envelope.

As he reached to accept, she whispered in his ear, “And I’m wearing your boxer-briefs and they're very comfortable. And yes, I’ll wear them back to your place tonight, stud.”

Dan's face turned solid red as he smiled at her, “Well alright, and thank you so much for everything, Ms. Rai!” Reyna, please leave!

“Excellent!” said Reyna as she spun and waved to the class, “Goodbye ladies!”

“Goodbye, Ms. Rai!” The class cheered.

Reyna lowered her eyes at the evil glaring Rica. “Bye baby, you behave now!”

Rica evil smiled back at her, “Um hm, I always do, Mother,” she replied as Reyna sashayed out of the classroom.

Staring Contest

As Reyna exited, Ms. Sandstrom turned and leered at Dan before departing the room. And in front of him every student stared at him with wide, shit-eating, grins.

Reyna sure gave everyone something to talk about, didn’t she? But why did she come here? And what did she really want? I don’t think embarrassing me was her singular plan.

And when he glanced at Rica, he saw- Oh no!

Rica’s face, expressionless. Her eyes, empty. Her Aura, pure evil.

Dan looked away from her and switched gears, “Umm, alright guys, let’s get back to the exercises. So please open your workbooks to page twenty.”

“Awww!”

“I know, ladies. Life can definitely suck,” he muttered as he wrote on the whiteboard. But from behind him, he felt Rica staring a hole in his back.

What Dan? Did you really think you’d sleep with her mom without repercussions?

He glanced back at the class, and Rica still stared ice at him.

Dan took a breath and faced the class, “Ok guys, let's solve the first problem.”

Later That Day

During fifth period lunch Dan sat in his empty classroom while speaking with his associate on the phone.

“Yeah dude, I got a letter of intent for fifty grand and everything. Heck yeah, that means we can hire another teacher next week, well, part time. What? No, I’m not doing anything illegal, dude!”

Maybe not illegal, but ethically questionable.

As he spoke Rica walked in and stood in the doorway staring at him.

Figured as much. “Hey Rob, let’s talk later, alright? Cool.” He hung up.

Rica stepped closer, “Do you have a minute?” she asked.

Dan smiled, “Yeah, sure. Now is this about your mother or is this about Frank’s file?”

“Frank’s file, do you have it with you?” she answered.

“No, it’s at my apartment, since I thought we would go meet Frank together because I wanted to show him the strange cash-outflows to a certain accountant named-”

“James Whittaker?” she blurted.

Dan paused. “Um, yeah, how did you know?”

“You’re not the only one looking into things for Frank, Mr. Capra,” said Rica, emotionless. “Now, how much money is flowing out to this James Whittaker?”

“Hunh? Shouldn’t I be telling Frank this information. I mean it’s his business, right?” Dan asked, concerned.

Rica shifted her weight to one leg and glared at Dan. “How much money is flowing out, Mr. Capra?”

Dan felt Rica’s hostility toward his defensive answers, or something else? Either way he wanted to protect Frank’s business confidentiality. However, the rules in this case were apparently different.

“Frank is losing on average one hundred, to one hundred twenty five thousand dollars per month into a series of accounts managed by this man James Whittaker,” said Dan.

“Interesting,” Rica said with a poker face, then changed the subject, “Mr. Capra, I’m certain my mother’s using you for something superficial. She’s like that.”

And here we go.

“Ok, I hear you and I’ll mind your advice. Is there anything else, Rica?”

Rica dropped her cruel scowl, “Yes, I guess I need to show Frank the file. I’ll come pick it up tonight.”

“Oh? Tonight? What time?” he asked.

Rica’s eyes lowered, “Why? Are you expecting company?”

Oh for Pete's sake. “Rica, I know you may have concerns about your mom and me associating. But outside of that it’s really not my prerogative to tell you my personal schedule, or who else I socialize with, do you understand?”

Dan, why are you so dense? How did you think a fourteen year old girl would act if you danced close to her in a nightclub, you short sighted idiot!

“Yes. I understand, Mr. Capra. And don’t worry. When you receive a phone call just bring the file on a drive downstairs,” She looked in his eyes, “And I won’t interrupt you.”

Dan took a breath. “Ok, not a problem. I’ll keep my phone nearby.”

“You do that.” She turned to leave and with her back toward him, “Mr. Capra?”

“Yes?”

“When she breaks your heart I want you to remember-” She half turned, “-Remember that I saw you first.”

Umm, ok. Dan nodded, accepting her statement. But Rica, I truly didn’t intend for any of this to happen.

“Rica, again, I’ll heed your advice. And I’ll have the file ready for Frank tonight, with the questionable accounts highlighted so he can see them.”

“Good, and we’ll talk again soon.”

After that, Rica walked down the quiet hallway and vanished. Leaving Dan to his own guilt.

..

13