Book One – Prologue Two – Part Five – Hint of Betrayal
4.1k 9 73
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Hahahaha! You shitty husband! Of course I tried to kill you! How could I not after everything you put me through!” The Empress, who had been quiet and showed no visible emotion, now laughed and screamed as loud as she could.

“How could you forget about the fact that you brutally raped and impregnated me, forcing me to give birth to two unwanted and unloved kids. We both know you hated them. And so did I.” Anger and sadness welled inside her heart, and she poured out her emotions to everyone.

“I tried to play the part of a loving mother, but every time I saw them, I was reminded of the pain and humiliation. And you know what? I was going to kill the kids after I killed you. Then I would kill myself. This is your fault! All of it! I HATE YOU!” the Empress thrashed and turned, trying her hardest to break the chains, but it was to no avail. She was born without a blessing, and while that didn’t immediately mean she was weak and helpless, the chains were just too sturdy.  

The Spymaster took out a small syringe and injected her in the neck. She still struggled for a moment or two but collapsed a moment later.

“It's a type of muscle relaxant,” the Spymaster said as he held out the syringe.   

The Emperor stared long and hard at the face of this woman, and he sighed and walked back to the throne. As he did, he gave two dirty looks to his twin children.  

“Father, what’s going to happen to mother?” Parrel turned away and only looked at his father. He had no idea what to do. Considering he just found out that his father raped his mother, causing two unwanted twins to be born, who were going to be killed by their own mother, he was trying not to break down. His wife didn't have the strength to hold on to her feelings and silently wept. Albert did the best he could to console her, while the two mercenaries did their best to not stand out in any way.

“Spymaster, what do you suggest. Do we have anywhere where we need subjects for experiments?” with an edge in his voice, he asked the Spymaster for advice.  

“My dear Emperor, might I suggest the Facility? I received a report that we are close to reaching a breakthrough, and I’m sure they would love the extra bodies.” 

“Very well, I order you to transport her to the Facility, and at this time, she is no longer my wife, nor does she hold the title of empress,” Virin ordered.  

“My dear Emperor, I will see to it that it be done. Please excuse me.” The Spymaster bowed and walked out of the throne room.  The guards carrying the former Empress followed close behind.

“Parrel, leave my sight at once and begin your preparations. You leave tomorrow,” Virin ordered again.  

“Yes, sir!” A quick response later, and Parrel and his group made a hasty exit. They did not have a lot of time to get ready. As he left, both Parrel and his butler cursed the Emperor under their breath. Such behavior was unbecoming from the former head butler. But after what he had to witness, Albert had lost all respect for his former master. The Emperor who gave him the opportunity to live and make something of his life no longer existed.

With the doors shut behind them, the only people remaining in the room were the Emperor, his two personal guards, Trerk and Veris, along with Claus and Qina.  

The room was silent for an uncomfortable amount of time. The first to speak was the Virin.  

“Are the children still unconscious?” 

“Yes, my Emperor,” Trerk was the one who replied.  

“When they wake up, tell them this. Their mother is to be locked up indefinitely for the crime of plotting an assassination against me. In addition, I am disowning both of them for the crime of being their mother’s children. If she planned to kill me, then I know they will as well. I should kill them, strike them down, and tear out their hearts myself, but I won’t.” 

Virin stopped speaking and pondered for but a moment. Then he began again.  

“As a final message, tell them this as well. I will release and forgive their mother, and I will even reinstate them as my children if they do one thing. Make them strong and powerful, and send them back to me.” 

A cruel smile appeared on Virin’s twisted face.  

“I will grant their wishes of joining the Imperial Guard, but only if they are the best of the best. I need strong and loyal warriors."

“If they cannot remain here at the castle, then where will they stay?!” Veris demanded.  

“I don’t know, and I don’t care. I will give them until the moon rises to leave the castle.” 

“These children have nowhere to go. They’re liable to get killed! Or, in Qina’s case, suffer a fate worse than death! Have you no heart? I can't believe forcing them to fend for themselves doesn't bring you any sadness!” 

“Don’t you dare speak that way to me! I am your emperor, and I deserve respect!” 

Veris shook her head slowly.  

“No, you’re not. You’re nothing but a miserable old man who would send his children out to die. Pathetic.” Veris spoke words that she never thought possible. Thousand of years of friendships and loving relationships with the Keywater imperial family were being strained to their limits.  

“Let it be known,” Virin once again stood up and spoke aloud, knowing that one of his spies was listening in. “That as of this moment, the Empire of Keywater has cut off all ties and relations with Veris. No more shall the Dryad be welcome in our glorious empire!"

Even the two personal guards were visibly shaking in their armor. Not once had something like this ever occurred.  Veris was as much Keywater as the emperor was, and now she was being cast out?

“Thousands of years of good relations, all for this?! Have you gone mad, Virin?” Veris yelled for the first time in a long while.  

“Leave my sight at once! All of you! Guards, escort them out, now!” Virin ordered for his guards, and out of nowhere, they materialized beside the throne with their weapons drawn. At least fifteen, all with the sharpest weapons and armor made from nadrium, stood in front of them.  The blue lines all pulsed in sync, flashing and dimming at the same time.

A mass teleportation skill? It’s almost like he was prepared for this. Veris thought. No, it wasn't his plan to exile us from the beginning, was it? Virin, what the hell happened to you?

Veris grunted as she was escorted out. Trerk was beside her. They each carried their respective pupil. After leaving the throne room, they made for the castle's exit, not speaking to anyone. Everyone they passed begged to know what was going on.

“Where are you going?” 

“Veris, have you really been cut off? I heard our emperor yelling, and--" 

"Dryad, there's already been a report by one of the spies--

“Please, are the children okay?” 

More and more questions that Veris would not answer. More accurately, she couldn’t answer. It took all she had to keep calm in such a stressful situation.   

Once outside, Veris felt the cool breeze whip her green hair against her aching head.  She looked to the sky for a moment before turning around.  The castle walls were a symbol of protection, and for Veris, who had been in Keywater since its founding, her heart ached as having to leave it on such bad terms. Her memories contained all Keywater to offer, including watching the glorious castle's creation being built brick by brick before her eyes.

“Trerk, I apologize for what happened,” Veris turned to her Kobold companion and slightly frowned. 

“There is no need to apologize, Lady Veris. If you hadn't said something, I would have. I cannot believe that man. He doesn’t deserve to be the emperor. Did you know the backstory behind the birth of these two?” Trerk asked.

Veris sighed.  “I did not. If I knew that foolish Emperor did something so stupid, I would have done something years ago.” 

“What do we do now?” Trerk asked as he adjusted his grip.  

“We wait until the children wake up.  After that, we have a long and difficult conversation ahead of us.  What they decide to do after they know the truth is up to them.  Hold my hand."

Trerk nodded and did as he was told. Her hand was so soft and warm to the touch.  Truth be told, Trerk sometimes looked at Veris with naughty thoughts, imaging her seductive body being pressed against his hard scales. But those were only thoughts sued to pass the time.  They were only for being enjoyed in his mind and not something he could act out.

Veris chanted something, and the view around them changed. The stone road and castle left their sight, and in their place, a tremendously large tree surrounded by other trees.

“We can stay here for the time being,” Veris spoke as she stared lovingly at the giant, monstrous object in front of her.  "This is not a place someone can just walk and find.  Even that foolish Emperor couldn't travel here in a thousand years.  You can almost think of this as a separate dimension, but it's not.  It's still located within Keywater."

Trerk realized that he was staring at the base of a giant tree. He looked to the left and right, but he didn’t see where the tree ended. Looking up, he was unable to see the leaves.  

In a sense, this tree was the fabled home of Veris, the Dryad.  

Standing at over three hundred meters wide and over ten thousand meters high, the tree was one of, if not the tallest natural object in the world.  

Trerk tried to speak, but he was stuttering.  

“L-L-Lady Veris, this is your tree? I've heard the rumors, but...” 

Her cheeks turned a faint red as embarrassment filled her face. “Yes, this my home. My wonderful tree,” Veris slid her hand over the bark, and part of the tree faded away to reveal a path made of wood.  

“Follow me,” she spoke as she walked through. Trerk followed her.

The smell of nature welcomed his nostrils as he carefully took in the sight of the pathway. It was part of the tree itself, just carved out. Small red gemstones were embedded in the wall that provided a source of light. Eventually, they came to an opening. That opening led to a room that would be considered a living room. Couches, dressers, tables, and chairs were all scattered about. All made of wood, of course. There was no sky, but similar red gemstones provided a considerable amount of light.  

“This is the living room.  The kitchen is right there, past those doors. To the left and right are doors that lead to individual bedrooms. This is where we will be living for the time being.” 

“Lady Veris, I am grateful that you would allow one such as myself into your sacred home,” if he wasn’t carrying a child, Trerk would have bowed at her feet.  

“Please, think nothing of it. Now, let's allow the children to rest,” with a snap of her fingers, Veris summoned a bed that materialized from nothing. The frame and bed itself was wood, but the pillow and blankets on it were made from leaves.  

They laid the kids on the bed, one on each side. Then after summoning two chairs, Trerk and Veris sat down and sighed.  The thoughts of the future clouded their mind.

The kids would not awaken for another day or so.  


Later that night, the Emperor shared a glass of wine with the Spymaster. The moon, high in the sky, was witness to it.  

“How far along are we?” the Emperor asked.  

“My dear Emperor, the research on Chronomancy has finished. The former Empress would make a most suitable test subject, wouldn’t you agree?” 

“Yes, I do.”  

Shortly after that, the Spymaster departed from the Emperor’s bed-chamber. The Emperor, wanting companionship, walked over to his desk and shook a nearby bell. A butler knocked at the door and entered. He wasn’t wearing the traditional suit but rather a brown cloak that hid his features.   

“Go and fetch me a nice woman. You know what I like. Be quick about it.” 

“Of course.” 

Now that he was alone, Virin took a moment to organize his thoughts before losing himself to lust.  

That damn brat better not fail me. Having Parrel take control of Canary is the first step to access the trial. Still, that king needs to die. Wait, Virin, you can’t get too hasty. Remember what the sacred tablet told you. The soul needs to experience the very essence of betrayal, and creating a series of events that will lead to that takes time and elegance. Still, this is the first step.  

A second later, there was a knock at the door. Virin answered it and saw a beautiful slave girl standing. Her ears were cat-like, and she had black hair. Stripped bare, Virin lustfully gazed up and down the tender body he would ravish and the tail he would pluck from her rear. But the thing that caught his attention the most was her face. Everything about it aroused and angered him. The Emperor smiled sadistically. She would not leave alive. When the butler came back to retrieve the woman, he had a large bag and a mop.  


A day later, Qina and Claus woke up. They cried day and night after hearing what had happened.  

A week later, the two were hard at work training.  

Five years later, two people signed up as a team at Warden.  

Two years after, the two adventures who signed up were having a small and private party, and only four people were in attendance. The reason? They reached Rank 3.  

 Two more years after that, another celebration was held with the same four people. This time? They reached Rank 1.  

At the same time as this party, an explosion rocked the horrible and vile place known as The Facility. There was a single person who managed to escape.  

Finally, six months after that, the two Rank 1 Warden members were at the testing ground for the Imperial Guard.  

Combat, fitness, skill usage, espionage, interrogation, and survival were but a few of the subjects they would be tested on. Any potential warriors who wished to join the Imperial Guard had to be a master of all. Anything even slightly less than that would be grounds for dismissal.  

The two tied for the highest score. No one else even came close.   

At the graduation, the Emperor, now ten years older with gray hair, smiled quite devilishly at the two new guards. He walked over and spoke to them so silently that only they could hear his voice.  

They were in the same throne room where they saw the Emperor order their brother to move to the Kingdom of Lando. The same room where the male twin was struck in the face by his father. It was a place that looked beautiful and stood out even amongst other rooms in the castle, but it held no pleasant memories. Both of them would agree on that.  

“Welcome back.”  

The two kneeled as the Emperor ran a ceremonial sword over them. The one on the left was a woman, no longer a frightened child. She had shed that persona ten years ago when her life was twisted upside down. Garbed in bright silver armor and an equally royal-looking sword on her hip, her long blond hair reached somewhat down her back. Her slender arms, which had killed many monsters that got too close and men that got too friendly, held surprising power and skill within. In her chest was a heart that had been hardened by acts of betrayal, and it was exclusively open to three people in the entire world.  

The one on the right was her brother. One of the three people in the world she could trust with her life. Their relationship and mental link had grown to such levels that it was no longer required for them to verbally communicate when in combat. His blond hair was short and styled, and he had on the same armor and held the same sword on his hip as his beloved sister. Unlike his sibling, his arms were toned and muscular. Every morning for the past ten years, he was up at the crack of dawn swinging his sword. When his sister asked why he said it was a vow. Unless he was on death’s door, he said he had to keep at it. He never wanted to feel as weak as he did when his father assaulted him on that fateful day. The only thing his sister could do was watch and be a witness to his actions.  

“Now rise and speak your name! My Imperial Guards!” 

“Qina Keywater at your command, your majesty!” said the woman.

“Claus Keywater at your command, your majesty!” said the man.

Both twins were now ten years older, and the two no longer had the same cheerful look of innocence. The long journey, just to reach this point, had changed the two at their very core. 


Two months after the ceremony, in the country of Lando, a woman, around the age of 20, was waking up. She would be without any memories. Gripping the pen of her life, she would surround herself with close friends and allies while gaining enemies. Her tale would involve traveling across the world to distant lands, meeting the unspeakable, and witnessing the impossible.  The actions this woman would take would cause her to be the center of many world-altering events. 

But she wouldn't do it alone, and this tale wasn't just about her.

This is The Story of a Girl and a Goddess Whose Souls Became Interconnected.

73