Book Four – Chapter Eight – Part Four – The Best Day of Their Lives
456 9 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

She left Wyima with a small smile and went back to join her friends. The hands on the clock turned with a hint of unforgivable envy as it was soon time for the doors to properly open. Bartholomew rubbed that awful excuse for a hair and gathered everyone together for a final talk. Compared to when he had first met everyone, Bartholomew was running low on gas. His words were more of a warning about failure than anything to excite his cast and crew, and he sent them off to go behind the stage’s curtain until it was to start. 

Wyima soon caught up with Servi and handed her the cloak of invisibility. Slipping it on, she vanished from sight, but she could still be heard, smelled, and touched. This simple skill item paled to the power of The Shadow’s Embrace, but that was to be expected. She removed the top half from her body so people wouldn’t run into her while lounging around backstage. There were still fifteen minutes until showtime. A thought appeared in her mind, and she scurried away to a place where no one was watching.  

A quick use of her favorite Rank 0 skill later, she peeked out through the thick curtains and saw who all had come. Nearly every seat had a body in it, and in the front row, she saw her closest friends. As Momo had said, she was right there in the middle with a smile. To her left and right were Srassa and Claire, the latter who was still in her work clothes. The former had found somewhere to change out of that plaid shirt and pants and dressed comfortably in an elegant, dark green, open-back dress. Well, it was mostly open. It needed a way to stay up, and asymmetrical straps across her back was there to help. That added a playful tone to the gorgeous gown.  

The sharp-dressed Feral was beside Srassa, and after him sat Marissa, Meri, and Mari in their best dress. The two young girls looked all around and excitedly spoke with their mother about pretty the pipes above them. Marissa found that a bit odd, but she shared their wonder and explained it controlled the stage lights. Even still, Servi could tell the lovely wife was hurting inside. Her face wasn’t blossoming like it used to.  

Dineria had found the time to show up. She sat beside Claire, and the two of them were chatting about something. The nature-loving Elf had fashioned together a strapless dress of leaves, grass, bark, and sap. Even her heels were carved from a block of cherry maple. The color matched the red ink she had used to paint her toenails. Six rows up, she spotted a young Koena that was the spitting image of his older brother. He bounced around in his seat as if he was the personification of a bundle of joy.  

Feral really does look handsome in his suit, and it seems all of my friends came. Better head back and get ready. Wait… Before Servi dashed back and cut off The Shadow's Embrace, she saw a particular man walk through the doors at the side. She knew him very well. Of the two times they had fought, she had emerged victorious. Arty nervously scratched his arm. Just a night prior, he looked as if scum and muck described his entire existence, so Servi was a bit happy he used the money Momo gave him to clean himself up. He had to, apparently, shave off all of his hair, but at least it seemed as if the grueling scar on his face had been looked at by an apothecary.  

He wore a suit and tie, but Arty’s attire had seen much better days. He timidly looked up and down the sea of chairs to find an empty seat near the very back. Internally, he figured that was for the best since he had something to say to the girl he used to hate.  

Could use this time to think it through, I suppose… Especially when I consider how much of an ass I was… No wonder I’m alone. My bitterness forced Leeroy to abandon me for greener pastures. I know Yerue had a violent streak to him… And it was…self-defense. Mom… Dad… You wouldn’t be proud to see who I’ve become, would you? Is it too late for me to be a better man? Starting from scratch and all that? Arty seemed to have thought things through. The problem was seeing if he could act on them without exploding at Servi.  

Servi, how are you feeling? Itarr asked as Servi softly smiled. She doubled back to a secure spot and canceled the skill. Shadows from a plane where non-existence ruled over creation left her body. The tingling sensation of becoming susceptible to this land’s rules of nature always felt jarring and sudden, like jumping into an icy lake after experiencing a blisteringly hot sauna.  

“About Arty?” 

That’s right.  

Servi emerged from her hiding spot and found a nice corner near a coffin used for the play’s fourteenth scene. She stared at the dummy inside and poked its wooden cheeks. Thanks to the stagehands rushing about for final preparations, she could talk to herself without no one being the wiser because the footsteps drowned out her voice. Soon, she wouldn’t have any need to hastily speak to herself because Itarr would be right there next to her in her own body.   

“It’s like what Momo said. We don’t have to be friends, but I am tired of being enemies and antagonizing each other. Honestly, I wondered if he was the key to bringing me back. I snapped and just constantly apologized… No, I shouldn’t say he was the key because that would diminish all of the efforts Momo and my friends went through to take care of me. It’d be apt to say he was probably the final piece of the puzzle. If I didn’t encounter him, I’d probably still be trapped inside my mind. It wouldn't be lonely at all because I had that pink fox and you, but… I’d rather be here…” 

Servi soon found Myrabel, who formed a fist of confidence and patted Servi on the back. She sure was excited to start in her first-ever production, and after enduring Bartholomew’s harsh criticism, had emerged into a better actress. Servi smiled and pulled up the cloak, erasing her body from sight. Wyima soon appeared and grasped the insurance pole sticking right out, and that was when Bartholomew walked out onto the stage as a spotlight flashed on him. It was already set for the play’s first scene.  

He welcomed everyone and thanked them for coming before offering a few words about the play. He explained the story was one of loss, bitterness, and discovering that there was a light at the end of every dark tunnel. When he thought about that saying, he mentioned he equated it to the lift of a butterfly as they flapped their wings.  

“With that said, I shall finish up quickly because I know you did not come here to hear me rabble. Without further ado, I present to you The Lift of a Butterfly Will Cure Our Ailing Hearts.” The audience clapped while he took a bow, and off he went to exit stage left.  The lights cut off, and a tense breath unanimously found itself spreading around from audience member to audience member.  

Myrabel and the kids playing the role of Shika’s children walked onto a darkened stage, their footsteps being the only sound. The reflectors up in the ceiling assured every little noise was audible— from the smallest whimper to the loudest slap. Servi strolled to her position and crouched down.  

Suddenly, a set of lights from overhead appeared, casting illumination upon the funeral scene. Her lengthy veil perfectly encapsulated this moment of sadness and loss. It sat so perfectly still, giving the audience a chance to see her face through the darkness that followed whenever a life was lost. The black mourning gown covered everything but her fingers, which were shadowed by a pair of gloves darker than night.  

Every little detail was meticulously picked and plotted by the director after going over it with a fine-toothed comb. It all had a purpose or some meaning, and nothing was wasted effort.  

 The soft melodies of a pair of violins slowly hummed to life thanks to the orchestra playing in a separate room. The music was delivered through a series of tubes positioned in the optimal locations to achieve the effect Bartholomew desired.  

Okay, Myra… You’ve shed blood, sweat, and tears to get to this point… Just how many auditions have you blown? It’s at the point where I can’t count that high. It’s hard to believe I’m standing here, facing my mother and father. I know I wasn’t the most behaved daughter, but… I’m doing this for us. I know about the money troubles you’ve been trying to keep from me, so I’m hoping this is just the first step on my path to stardom! First, it’s Canary, and then it’s Adenaford! 

With that as her cue, practiced Myrabel began to pour her heart into an unforgettable performance.  


“Cheers!!!” 

Clank! 

Over half a dozen glasses bonked against each other as a party broke out in the ballroom located in the back of the Hurrah Theatre Hall. Food and drink flowed as freely as the rushing stream of a violent waterfall. Waiters, maids, and butlers all hustled around with a serving tray stocked full of glasses of clear wine and tasty hors d'oeuvre.  

Servi was with Myrabel, Grid, Denaire, Becha, and a few others as they toasted to a job well done!    

About ten minutes had passed since the play’s final line was uttered by Shika, Sylvia, and Roa, who were played by Myrabel, Denaire, and Grid. The stage lights flashed off, casting the three stars in darkness not even the empty moon could provide. In the next moment, all of the lights turned on at once as the entire cast and crew walked out on stage to take a bow. Wyima had retrieved his cloak from Servi, and she hopped out there to join them all at the very end. She raised both hands and waved, then grabbed the hands of those to her side and took a second bow.  She had her hood pulled up over her head.

In the front row, a lovely Singi with pink hair jumped up and down while clapping and screaming Servi’s name. Feral was crying. The big lad was overwrought with emotions for Sylvia’s story. He emotionally connected with the story of how she had to gather the courage to fight back against her abusive husband. The freedom she secured for herself allowed her to wander the world freely to find the special someone who wouldn’t treat her wrong.  

For a moment, Feral wanted to rush up on stage and take hold of her, but then he remembered it was all fiction. Denaire wasn’t Sylvia.  

Claire, Srassa, and Dineria had a small handkerchief to wipe their tears since they found the story emotionally captivating.  

But Marissa… It was hard for her to watch it because of a side plot involving a wife saying goodbye to her husband. This character had three children with a fourth on the way, and he had to leave her behind to die to secure their safety. Meri and Marissa didn’t seem to connect anything to Fisher, who they believed to have painlessly passed onto the afterlife. In fact, moments before the family entered, Meri had mentioned she had to learn a lot and fast to take care of the family. That was why she spent nearly every waking moment practicing with her sword—something that didn’t go unnoticed by her mother.  

With the play now over, Servi hopped down the stage and reconvened with her friends. She mentioned this to them and asked her friends to stay.  

“I don’t want to be rude and rush off, so I’m just going to have a glass with them. I really want to walk home with you guys.” That also included Marissa and her children, but they made themselves scarce nearly immediately. Servi didn’t blame them at all, and her friends smiled and said that would be fine. They also wanted to talk with her about how she pulled something truly outrageous off without it sounding weird or unnatural.  

“We’ll be standing out in front, okay?” chirped Momo. Before walking away, she embraced Servi and whispered how amazing her best friend was. For a quick moment lasting less than a fraction of a fraction of a second, they disappeared from the world while a single friendship was exchanged on the cheeks. It all happened faster than it took to blink, and the love whelming up within Momo’s bosom was about to overflow. She broke off from the girl she loved with a few delightful giggles and joined the others in walking out.  

So that's what a kiss feels like when we're using The Shadow's Embrace... It feels...shadowy. Shadowy but good...

And then Servi had rushed off to the room and waited for her fellow actors and actresses. It didn’t take long for her theatre companions to show up. Most brought their family, and Servi kicked herself for not thinking about that sooner. She had pondered on rushing out to gather her friends but argued against it.  

She wasn’t going to be here long.  

After a few satisfying cheers, Servi briefly mingled with her friends and their parents. Denaire’s father was surprisingly soft-spoken for being a Kobold. In many ways, he reminded Servi of a quieter Feral who leaned more towards the art. She managed to dig a small fact out of him, and that was that he retired a couple dozen years earlier than he intended to because he didn’t want to miss Denaire’s growth. Her mother, though, was brash and loudly spoken while not forcibly being the life of the party.  

Grid’s brother constantly hounded Myrabel while asking her to star in his play if he became famous. This newfound attention was more than the Elf could handle, but she had enough sense to nod and promise.  That was on the outside. Inside, Myrabel was bursting at the seams to have gotten a fan that wasn't a friend. He was her friend's brother, but Myrabel figured that was distinct enough to count.

“I’m sorry I have to cut it short, but I’ve got to head out. Can’t say I was really expecting to do this, but I’m glad I did,” Servi said after she finished off her glass of wine. She gave it to a passing waiter with a tray and waved goodbye to her new friends. As she left out of the door, Servi heard something.  

“Sweetie, just who was that girl?” asked Grid’s mother. 

“That was the girl who did all of the crying,” Myrabel replied. “Whenever an actress cried in the play, it was her.” It seemed no one but the cast knew about Servi. They only thought she was someone who worked behind the scenes. The answer Myrabel gave was confusing, and to explain it all, she had to go back to the day of the audition. That was going to be a story and a half, but Servi didn’t have time to stick around to make sure the details were wholly accurate.  

When she stepped out from the ballroom into a lavishly decorated hallway, a quick glance confirmed she was alone. That was all Servi needed, though she didn’t care if someone was there, to slip inside her second favorite realm of non-reality and rush to the theatre’s lobby. She saw her friends sitting right outside on a bench in front of the doors, so she assumed her physical presence and felt gravity take hold.  It was so packed Servi knew no one would notice her appearing from nowhere.

“Sorry about that,” said Servi as she walked out. Momo and the others stood up as Servi closed the distance. The sky was partially cloudy on this dark night, causing the moon’s luster to be cut in half. If not for the overabundance of street lamps and lanterns, no one but an Elf would have been able to comfortably get around.  

“It’s fine. Did you have fun?” asked the bubbly Singi.  

“I did. It seemed the parents and friends of the cast thought I was someone who worked backstage rather than a girl who just cried all the time. I don’t blame them.” 

“I thought you were incredible!” interjected Srassa. She folded her hands together as sparkles seemingly danced around her eyes. “Using just a single person to handle the emotional crying for everyone… That’s positively unheard of!” 

“My cute student is right.” Now it was time for Dineria to speak her piece. “I’ve been to a fair few in my time, and whenever someone needed to let the water run loose, it was up to the actor in question to take care of it.” 

“It really was phenomenal, Servi. I’m glad I came to see it. I didn’t expect the story to be that sad… It ended happily, but it feels bittersweet,” Claire noted. She hugged her jacket to her chest and flashed a friendly smile.  

“Feral, are you alright?” Servi noted her large friend was being unnaturally quiet.  

“My friend… It was so sad…” whimpered the big lad. He had sixteen handkerchiefs stuffed inside his pockets. He kept pulling them out to dry his tears. He had been holding back on talking since he was afraid the torrential sadness would continue to rear its ugly head. “But it was incredible. You did a good job!” 

Servi gave the Kobold hug as one of his large hands patted her back. Unanimously, the group non-verbally decided to make their way home. They wouldn’t have to separate for some time since they all had to travel in the same direction. Without any word from the three of them, Servi, Momo, and Srassa all held hands with the red-eyed girl in the middle. This lasted for only a few seconds before Dineria asked to borrow Servi.  

The two skidded ahead of the group as she put a hand around her neck. “Did—” 

“Yep, I know about it. Momo loves me, and I love her. Claire asked me the same thing this morning. She even pulled me away like you.” 

“That’s a shame you know what I was going to ask because I was going to tease you about it. Think of it as a small punishment for not coming to see me when you were healed.” Dineria pouted and puffed out her cheeks.  

“Yeah, I’m sorry about that. This doesn’t make up for it, but here’s a hug?” Servi rotated her body to the right and wrapped her left arm around Dineria’s back. Her palms rubbed her bare skin, feeling just how warm the slender Elf was. “Thank you for what you’ve done for us…” 

“You’re very welcome… I’d do anything for my students because I want to see them grow.” Dineria peeked a glance at her motionless companions some five meters away. They were busy chatting about the fun festival games they had won earlier in the day. She then completed the hug and broke off. “Did Momo tell you about my past? You’re not alone, you know.” 

Servi nodded. Inevitably, uneasiness started to creep within her heart. “She did.” 

“Then you know my father, grandfather, and family offered me the support I needed to love myself again. Breaking it down, it isn’t that much different from what you’ve experienced. Some people say blood is thicker than water. That can be true, but the opposite can be true as well. The blood of the covenant is thicker than the water of the womb.” 

“Friends can sometimes be more important than family. It isn’t the same for every individual out there because some lose the familial lottery.” 

Dineria patted Servi on the head. “That’s right. One more thing. Did Momo tell you about a ‘present’ I wanted to give you?” 

“That she did. I’m sure I can guess what it is. Mosie and I haven’t crossed that final barrier, but we skidded it across it this morning when we took a bath together.” 

“Oh my! Little Momo’s going to become a woman tonight, is she? In that case, should I give you the present now?” Dineria covered her mouth with a pretty hand and blushed. She followed that up with a sly smile.  

“Thank you, but I want it to be just us tonight. Toys and other objects can come later.” That earned Servi another pat on the head. They walked back to the chatting group and continued their walk. Claire, thanks to her hearing that she couldn’t just shut off, overheard everything.  

Two people to a shower is against Warden’s rules, but I think I can let that slide. How long has it been since I've bathed with someone...? Her personal worries aside, she did find great joy in hearing the relationship between her favorite Singi and red-eyed Human was progressing quite nicely.  

Dineria thought something similar, but her sharp eyes focused on the link between Servi and Srassa. She knew Momo and Srassa were close, and it seemed that friendship blossomed a relationship between the pair of Humans. The remaining question was if this friendship would spiral into something more than innocent handholding. Dineria knew polygamy was legal within Gea, and she had been in a relationship, at one point, where it was her and two men. It was a brief fling meant to pass by the time while waiting for her passport to be verified, so love wasn’t the focus at all. Still, she did have experience in that subject.  

I’m sure it’ll all work out fine if it progresses to that step. The vital aspect is to set boundaries and rules, and I know they’re responsible enough to see that. Servi definitely is… She gives off the hint of being wiser and more knowledgeable than what she displays.  

 

11