Book Two – Chapter Nine – Part Nine – Final Exam
1.9k 7 67
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

One hour later, Servi had her wish. It was late at night, and the camp was deathly silent. She sat across from Fisher with the campfire acting as a barrier. He had on his armor and helmet, and his sword was gripped tightly in his right hand. Servi, meanwhile, kept her shield equipped on her left hand.  The dented blade she used sat against her right hand, but she didn’t grip it.

Everyone else was in a deep sleep, and it seemed the night belonged to only Servi and Fisher.

“You know,” he was the first to speak, breaking the awkward silence in a voice that was no louder than a whisper, “This program hasn't helped you that much.” 

“What do you mean by that?” she responded in a vulgar and tense voice.  

“We both know you’re far stronger than what you let on. Honestly, you didn’t do a good job of hiding it.” 

Servi scoffed, choosing to stay silent as she wrapped her mind around the current situation.  She knew she needed to act, but she didn't want to be too hasty.

“Hmm…. Then answer me this. Why did you join?” 

Servi sighed and sheathed her sword. “I had my reasons. Well, I had only one reason until I found out that you were my mentor.” 

“So you have a problem with me, then?” Fisher didn’t seem surprised by her answer.

“I do. But we can talk about that later. You probably have more questions about me, so go ahead and ask,” Servi stared directly at her mortal foe with piercing red eyes.  

And thus began a sort of question and answer segment between the two.  The tension was so thick it was almost visible.

“When you fought the juncea, you kept attacking after it was dead. Why?"

“I wanted to make sure it was really dead,” she lied. 

“When you fought Feral, why didn’t you finish him with your sword? You had the perfect chance to win, yet you used your shield. Why?” 

“I guess I didn’t want to kill him. I like Feral.” 

“What do you mean by that?” 

“I’m much stronger than I look. Cutting through Feral's green body would be easy and simple, and my shield’s edge was dull.” 

“If that’s the case, then why did you lose against Feral on the very first day? You matched blows with him, and you went flying.  In fact, you lost against him multiple times until I allowed the use of skills.  Why?” 

“Because while I’m strong, my main strength comes from my skills, not my swordplay and muscles.  Though I do admit, it would be a simple task to bisect Feral."

“What Rank are you?” 

“10. And that's the truth. Take a look,” Servi brought out her ID and threw it at Fisher, who yanked it out of the air. He glanced over the information and verified that she was unblessed and had the Rank 10 in Warden. He gently gave it back, and Servi dropped it to the ground.

“Even though you're not pre-casting correctly, the skills you used were still activated. Why?” 

Servi’s heart sunk, and she was at a loss. She thought she was doing it right.

“I thought I was hiding it well, but I guess I wasn't. I can’t say it here, but follow me,” Servi stood up and walked away. The ground crunched silently under her feet. A moment later, she heard another set of footsteps coming from behind her.

She walked over to a nearby copse of bushes about forty or fifty meters away, then suddenly tossed her sword up. Fisher just silently watched as it fell back down. The moment before it hit the ground, it stopped.

“Telekinesis?” Fisher placed an armored hand to his chin as he took in what he saw.

“Yep. And that’s not all." Suddenly, ten more swords all appeared from around Servi and flew in a circular formation above the two of them.

“If you're not blessed, and you’re truly Rank 10, what you’re doing is impossible. Telekinesis wasn’t written in your skill list, and it doesn’t look like you took those weapons out of a Dimensional Storage. If anything, it’s like they materialized from nothing.” Fisher squinted his eyes and opened up his Dimensional Storage, pulling out a nadrium heater shield in the process.  It was half black and silver, with two thick, blue, glowing lines that pulsed like a beating heart.  Drawing his sword, he took a tranquil stance that was ready to attack and defend.  “Tell me what you want. Are you going to kill my students?”

Servi’s mood instantly worsened, and she slammed a sword into the ground.  It disappeared. “No! You don’t get to fucking call them your students!” 

“Why?” His calm voice prevented his emotions from getting the best of him.

“Have you fucking forgot already? Seka and Seko? Two Singi that you brutally tortured?!” Servi pulled another sword from her ring and slammed it into the hard ground. Her anger fueled her enhanced strength.  Deciding that wasn't enough, she grabbed her weapon by the hilt and threw it as hard as she could in a random direction.  

Still, Fisher wasn’t afraid of her erratic movement. He took it all in stride as he answered her. “Are you here to get revenge for them? Then did you kill Arnold?” 

Servi, in her hazy rage, didn’t connect the dots. “Who the fuck is that? No, I’m talking about you. You didn’t do a damn thing when that fucker stabbed that boy’s foot! And you pushed him to the fucking ground! An-- Ggaaaghh!!” Servi groaned and put a hand to her head.  It was pounding and thrashing, like something or some things were about to break free.

Servi, you need to calm down! Let me help! Itarr begged.

“No! Don’t you dare do anything, alright? Let me fucking deal with him!”  

Fisher took a defensive stance as he saw yet another blade materialize. Half of his attention was on Servi, but the other half was on the swarm of swords that were still flying overhead.  

“Then you want to kill me?” as Fisher waited for an answer, he began to chant.

“They were children, and you fucking hurt them for your sick fucking games....aahhhhhhhhHHHH!!!” Suddenly, Servi vomited blood, and Fisher quickly stepped back, avoiding the vile projectile. One hand went to her to face, which felt like it was about to explode. A crimson line dripped down her face from each nostril, leaving two thin red streaks.  They left parallel lines until they reached her chin, as that was when they collided when Servi shook her like an animal.

The things that wanted to break free were about to have their wish granted.

“Do I get a chance to explain myself?” Fear remained an emotion that had no home inside of Fisher's body.  He stared at his 

“No. You don’t. You lost that the—” 

“What about my wife? My children? They’re going to be without a father. My wife will have no husband. Who’s going to provide for and protect them?” 

“You don’t get it, do you? You can’t play that card. I’ve been waiting for this moment for two fucking months!” Servi vomited again and realized every millimeter of her body felt like it was on fire.

“You don’t look like you’re in a position to kill me,” Fisher used protection, and a wonderful glow enveloped his body for just a second. He egged Servi on, and she fell for his taunts.

SERVI!!!! 

Servi didn't bother to grab a sword and lashed out like a rabid beast who's been starved for days. Her mind wasn’t in the right place, and her anger grew more and more until it drowned out Itarr's pleading voice.

Fisher found it easy to dodge Servi's animalistic flurry of punches and scratches. He bashed out with his nadrium shield, smacking his former pupil in the head. He had quite a bit of strength packed into that hit, and she went flying back a few meters.  

“You won’t believe me, but I have to tell you. I didn’t want to hurt that boy. Nor did I cut off that girl’s ear,” Servi came back for another desperate grapple, but Fisher used his shield to keep her at bay. In her current state, Servi was nothing more than a weak girl drunk on rage. She couldn’t access the power stored inside her. She flew back a meter after being hit again, sliding on the ground. The girl went to get up, but Fisher slammed his shield into her armor-covered stomach, but it didn't crack or shatter.  She was forced back to the ground and turned her head to the side. More vomit spewed from her mouth and nose.  It was red, black, and clumpy, filling the air with a sickening smell. 

“I’m not proud of my past,” Fisher said as he made some distance between them. Vomit stained the ground around Servi, blood dripped from her nose and eyes, and she rapidly breathed in air like a deranged beast that needed to be put down. “I killed a lot of Demi-Humans after my village was attacked by a group of Demi-Human raiders. Arnold was with me, and we saw and heard our friends and family die. My sister was raped, and her head was impaled on a spear. Our teacher was subjected to the same fate. The children and babies weren’t spared, either.  The entire village was nearly wiped out, with only myself and Arnold as the only survivors."

Tears flowed from his eyes, but he didn’t stop speaking. “I keep telling myself that I could’ve done something sooner. ‘If only I picked up a sword faster,’ or ‘if I would’ve taken Tronk’s advice and joined him for training.’ But I had no need or want to ever pick up a sword. I knew it brought death and destruction, but I didn’t know it also brought protection and peace. But I can’t dwell on the past.”  

Fisher stopped moving and glanced up. The circling swords were beginning to attack. But they were slower than if they would’ve fallen naturally, and it was easy for Fisher to block them. They disappeared the moment they hit his shield. He glanced back at the camp and sighed in relief when his students didn’t wake up.  

He then walked forward until he stood over Servi’s body and used one last skill.

Shadow Trap.

It allowed the user to use shadows to ensnarl an enemy and prevented them from moving. He purposely used a weaker variant of it.  

Servi had lost the ability to speak, thanks to her anger, and just growled and bared her teeth at her most hated enemy. The inhuman, guttural noises she produced with her throat were something a mad dog would make during its final moments of being alive.  As of that moment, the only proof she was a Human because she was shaped like one.

Still, Fisher just kept talking.  

“After the attack, Arnold christened me with the nickname ‘Justice.’ We went around the countryside and killed each and every Demi we could find.  I don't even know how many villages we destroyed..... But the moment I met my wife, I began to change. My past started to creep up on me, and I had these nightmares. They were awful, and I wasn’t strong enough to break free. This was around the time we joined Canary’s city guard. We worked our way up to the rank of lieutenant quickly, and somewhere along the line, Arnold christened me with yet another nickname. ‘Justice Captain.’ I hated that damn name with a passion. I slowly realized that the justice we had dispensed in our past wasn’t justice. It was murder. Plain and simple.  

“Arnold caught on to my realization, and he forced me to keep with it. I want to blame him. I want to say it was all his fault, with his words of ‘Justice,’ but I can’t. My sins are solely on my hands, and I cannot deny I wasn’t at fault. If I was stronger, I could have prevented him from doing all of that, and more than you don’t even know about.”  

Fisher kneeled, staring into two red eyes that only wished to kill him. “He forced me-- no, my weak, former self accepted his assistance. My weak self took the bloody sword Arnold gave me with false pride so I could keep my reputation. My weak self stood by and watched as he stabbed the boy’s foot. My weak self was forced to laugh at the pain, and my weak self was forced to push him down. I was weak... Weak weak weak!!!

"As soon as I was out of sight and alone, I broke down. It was like I was alone in a world of hatred that I, myself, created. I didn’t have the strength to stand up to Arnold, and I didn’t have the courage to tell my wife. I thought she would take my precious daughters and run away after knowing I’m nothing more than a killer. 

“It wasn’t until the new governor told me to take part in this program that I had the strength to accept my past. That I had the conviction to overcome my darkest moments. You won’t believe me, but let my tears prove my truthfulness. I am so glad that Silverado, and Desperado, and Riki, and Rakkire, and Feral, and yes, even you, became my students. I’ve learned more from all of you than you learned from me. It was because of you six that I was able to overcome my demons. I was able to tell my wife my past. She accepted it and told me I have to make amends for those I have wronged. 

“I would offer to give my life up, but I can’t. My wife needs me to be a husband, and my children need me to be a father. I will teach them love and respect and make sure they turn out better than I did. If you still wish to kill me, know that I will fight with every bit of strength I can muster. You may be strong, but right now, you’re weaker than a rabbit. The Shadow Trap you are bound with is so incredibly weak that even my daughters could break free from it.”  

Finally, having finished speaking his peace, he waited for a response. But Servi's mind didn’t even acknowledge his words.

But someone did.  

Itarr. She was a witness to Fisher’s life story, and she was more than a witness to Servi’s breakdown.

Servi told me not to do anything, but I have the perfect chance to kill him. And I think he was telling the truth. He was crying, and I think he really regretted what he did. Do I have the right to take his life? I wanted to kill him, but now, I'm not so sure... And Servi… I… Itarr didn’t have a chance to continue her thoughts as she felt an explosion. It wasn’t a physical explosion affecting the real world but a spiritual one that affected Servi’s soul. 

The things that were caged up broke free.

NOOOOO!!!!! Itarr screamed inside Servi’s soul as she rapidly repaired the metaphysical cages. At the same time, Servi broke free of her shadowy restraints and pulled out a sword. Her eyes turned an even darker shade of red, and she roared.  Her vocal cords were pushed to their limits, and her throat slowly tore open, dripping blood as vivid as fire, but it was healed almost immediately. Fisher took notice and correctly assumed she had some sort of regenerative ability.   

“So you wish to fight?” Fisher glanced over to the camp and noticed his former mentees were walking up. Feral's tall body was the first to stir awake. He quickly shouted at his comrades, and they all gathered their weapons.  

“It seems I have to end this. Servi, please forgive me. Once you calm down, we can speak. Until then, you must sleep,” Fisher opened his Dimension Storage using the shorter chant and pulled out a staff. It was constructed out of black metal with a gnarly green liquid dripping inside the see-through glass handle. A tiny wooden head sat on top of the staff. 

“I never thought I would ever use this thing again,” he glanced back at the camp, and they were finally organized. They were sort of scared, but Feral agreed to take the lead. He was out in first with his giant shield at the ready as they ran towards Fisher and Servi, who was still yelling. It didn’t sound anything like her. Instead, it reminded Fisher of a hellish demon who attacked with her shrieking shrills.

Brandishing his staff, he dropped his sword and pointed it towards Servi, who roared in response. The little head on the weapon turned green and emitted a grass-colored mist. “This can put a Human into a sleep that can last months, but based on your regenerative abilities, it should be enough to knock you out for 10 to 18 hours. I hope you wake up in a talkative mood.” 

Gradually, Servi’s roaring dulled, and her dark red eyes returned to their former luster. Her body fought at full force against the green mist, but then it stopped.  

I figured this is the best I can do, but I’ll keep working. Servi, I’m temporarily weakening True Immortality. Please, be at ease and sleep for a while.

Servi wasn’t entirely conscious during all of this. Her body was fueled by nothing but rage, and her self-concept was pushed aside. She had no say in the matter, and Itarr wasn’t even sure if Servi would remember any of this. The green mist started to have a profound effect on Servi. And it wasn’t a moment too soon. She collapsed to the ground, and her demonic screaming finally came to an end. The green mist immediately dissipated into nothingness.  Fisher chucked the staff back into his Dimension Storage, which was still left open, then closed it.  

He walked towards Servi’s unconscious body, but Itarr wasn’t watching. She had something else to work on. Something that she desperately needed to fix. The only thing she could do was trust Fisher. He did a once over to check for cuts or bruises, then once she was physically fine, he picked her up. 

He then walked towards the approaching group.  

I'm lucky this happened at night. They only should’ve heard the screaming and roaring, and not our conversation. We had nothing reflective on, so I don't think they saw anything.

“Fisher, what happened to her?! Did we get attacked?!” Silverado asked. White light produced by Protection came from Desperado and went to everyone there except Fisher, whose own Protection was at a much higher level.

“We heard screaming,” said Riki.  

“Is there an enemy?” Feral slammed his large shield into the ground as if telling any would-be foes he was ready to fight.

I shouldn’t tell the truth. At least, not before I have a chance to properly talk to her.  

“Servi thought she saw movement and light in the distance, so she went to investigate those bushes behind me. She didn’t come back, so I went to get her. I heard the same scream you all did, and I saw a little red creature with pointy ears. He had a sleepinwillo flower in his hand.” 

I can’t say Servi tried to kill me.

“I scared it away, but he already used the sleepinwillo on Servi. She’s probably allergic to her, thus the vomit that’s on her. I checked for cuts and gave her some medicine and used an anti-poison skill on her just to be sure,” he lied about that last part.

I suppose it's a damn good thing I got my healer's license when Marissa was pregnant. 

“I never knew such a creature was close by. Is Servi going to be fine? And are we in danger?” Rakkire's gasping lungs did the best they could to fill up with oxygen, but he had his weapon and shield at the ready.  

“She’ll be fine. I don’t think we’re in danger. I scared it off, but we might want to get moving. Staying here any more than we need to isn't a good idea. Follow me,” Fisher walked back to camp with his mentees.

“Feral, can you carry her? I need to be at the ready,” he stopped and turned around. 

I have to be committed to this lie. I'm the best fighter here, so I need to have my hands free. 

He wordlessly growled and nodded.  Being three meters tall, he had to bend to pick up his comrade.

“Just like a human to be as light as air,” he growled once more, angry at the beast he thought was out there. He figured it had to be crafty and slippery to get the jump on the one Human, besides Fisher, who was able to beat him. 

I swear, on the Kobold name Feral, I will get you back to Canary.

Fisher used Dimension Storage to store the rocks and fire pit while the Dwarves and Koena gathered their sleeping bags. They all did one last check, and that was when Feral asked about Servi’s shield. “She had a sword inside of it. Is it lost?” 

To be honest, Fisher didn’t know where Servi's sword went after it disappeared, and he lied once again. “The little bastard probably tossed it. It wasn’t with her when I found her.” 

I’m thankful they haven’t asked me why I allowed a Rank 10 go off alone to investigate a mysterious light and sound. Well, I have an excuse made up, but I don’t want to use it.   

“Come on, we have a long journey ahead of us," Fisher and the group started their night journey back to Canary. He had his sword and shield at the ready, but they did not get used. Even though they were already tired from fighting the juncea, and they didn’t get that much rest, none of the five complained. They believed an unknown red creature attacked their comrade, and it was something not even their former mentor wanted to fight. Their one goal was the same: get their injured friend back to the city. And they would do that even if they had to travel throughout the entire night.  

Fisher scheduled them to arrive around one or two PM. Maybe noon, if they were ahead of schedule, which they were. Now? They would arrive early in the morning.

During the walk, he pondered the heavy talk he would have with her. Would Servi kill him when she woke up out of anger? Will she stay her hand and listen to him? Was there a chance for forgiveness to show itself?

I know I need to pay for my past, but I refuse to just die when I have my wife and daughters at home. From just our one encounter, I know you have such impossible strength at your disposal. If you wanted those swords to skewer me, thus ending my life, they would have. I’m sure there’s a part of you that believed me. Perhaps it’s the part that you yelled at? Do you have a past similar to my own, and you’re currently fighting the remnants in your mind? I don’t know. But I do know this. I want to help you through whatever pain you are feeling.  I wish to repay you for what the Servi in my mind did when I was fighting my own battle.  

Sighing in a way that wasn’t like him, Fisher kept his eyes peeled for the non-existent creature as they walked under the moon and stars.

67