Book Two – Chapter Six – Part Four – Training Time!
1.5k 1 48
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Srassa, you’re up,” ordered Dineria. 

“Yes, ma'am!” the girl with the blond hair and green eyes went to the lane as Momo sat down in her seat.  

“Dineria, how did I do?” she asked. Srassa was still thinking about which bow to get.  

“I was surprised. You have the basic form down, but you need some work tightening it. Have you been taught before?” 

“Kinda. My friend Servi is good with the bow, and she taught me a little bit.” 

“And is she also a Rank 10?” 

“Yep!” 

“I see. Srassa, whenever you’re ready, let me know.” 

“Right!” 

A few seconds later, Srassa chose the traditional bow. Unlike Momo, she had no experience in anything relating to weapons. She never used a sword or even touched one before, and it was the same with the bow. But she kept her green eyes peeled onto Momo as she did her shots.  

She nocked the arrow and pulled back the string. It was kind of hard for her, and soon, she began to feel pain in her fingers and arms. She panicked and released her grip, and the arrow flew to the right of the first target.  

“Okay. Try again,” Dineria said in a gentle voice.

Srassa readied another arrow, and this time her arm shook when she released the string.  It missed the target by a country mile.

“One more time,” Dineria encouraged. 

With another arrow came another miss. This time, her wrist rotated the moment before the projectile left the bow.  

“I see. Alright, I think I have a good idea,” Dineria stood up and walked over to the very frustrated girl. Her body nervously shook from both fear and embarrassment.

“Srassa, it’s fine. You told me that you signed up a few days ago, and guess what? This program was practically made for you." Dineria placed her hand on Srassa's head. The noble girl looked up at her with eyes bubbling with tears. “I promise you this. By the end of this month, you’ll be shooting bull’s-eyes after bull’s-eyes. But it’s gonna be hard work. I’ll help you all I can, but you have to put in the effort too.” 

“Right! I’ll work super hard!”  Srassa exclaimed, forming two fists filled with determination.

Dineria flashed a bright smile. “Good!  Now, if both of you can follow me,” Dineria replied. She took the bow from Srassa's trembling hands and placed it down nearby before walking away. As Momo followed her mentor, she saw the young Dwarf from earlier with a bag.  

He’s probably going to go clean up. A few moments later, they stood in front of a small shelf of weapons. They were all wooden swords. Momo didn’t think there was a difference between them. 

“Okay. So you two grab a sword and face each other. I do know Remedium, so we won’t have to worry about minor injuries.” Dineria sat down on a chair, crossing her legs, and watched the two girls. Momo kept her bag on and picked up the sword on top, while Srassa picked the next one down on the second shelf.  

“I know you said you don’t have any experience, but I need to see what you do have,” Dineria said when Srassa looked at her.  

“Yes, ma’am,” she said as she turned to face her opponent. Momo held her sword in both hands. It was longer and thicker than her grandpa’s sword, but it didn't feel unnatural.  Stepping in softly, Momo kept both eyes on her opponent.

Servi said she fights by keeping an eye on her opponent’s body, right? So let me try that.

Momo kept walking with her guard up. Srassa tried to copy Momo’s stance and went for feet swipe. Momo saw Srassa’s arm and hand move back for a moment, and she figured an attack was coming. She moved back just a little bit and rushed forward while Srassa recovered from the missed strike. With a light bonk on her leg, Srassa hopped back but slipped and landed on her rear. She wasn’t that athletic, either. Dineria stood up.  

“Okay. I believe I got it,” Momo watched as her mentor made her way over to the girl on the ground.  Srassa held her knees close together, and Momo heard a quiet whimper coming from her.

“Look, I can see that this program was basically made for you. And I mean that in a good way. So here...” Srassa’s crying face looked at the outstretched hand and took it. Dineria helped her to her feet and took out a small cloth. “It’s gonna be hard, but I believe in you. Nobody is born a master of anything. Everyone, even me, started off like you.” Dineria had the tone of a loving mother, and it showed. Srassa’s tears dried up, and she smiled.  

Seeing that reminded me of when I started to learn the sword from grandpa. I used to cry and cry about how I wasn't any good, but then you’d tell me to keep with it. And look, grandpa... I’m not the best... I'm still a total beginner, but I’m growing. I know how you feel, Srassa... I really do.  

“Now then. Let’s move onto skills., their mentor said as she walked away. There was, yet again, another space for them to train in.  More accurately, it was less of an area and more of a small section. Two heavy and thick planks sat against a reinforced wooden wall, and the three of them stopped at a nearby table. 

After taking a seat, Dineria asked Momo what skill she knew.

“Well, I know Lurk, Feather Fall, True Aim, Dazzler, Dirt Skin, and Magic Missile.” 

“Very good.  Oh, be sure to use Magic Missile and Dazzler on one of the two planks against the wall, and use that for Feather Fall." Dineria pointed to a small, dirt-colored panel and spoke and used a speed-cast version of the Earth Wall chant.  

“By the Earth which slumbers, Earth Wall!” Five steps appeared in the square.  They looked fragile, but Dineria assured Momo they were as tough as stone.

"Yes, ma'am!" Momo said.  She stood up and walked over to the five steps.  They were only a half a meter high up, and it didn't take even a second and a half to climb them. She used the Feather Fall chant and jumped. It took her two seconds to reach the ground.  

“Alright. Now use Magic Missile and Dazzler on the planks.” 

Momo nodded and walked over to the two planks set against a reinforced wall. She stood a few meters away, and a few seconds later, a small black orb was in her hand. She tossed it at her target, and it broke into a cloud of dark dust. Then, she held her left hand out. After chanting, a colorless arrow appeared. Taking aim, Momo used her right hand to reinforce her left arm and fired it. Flying through the air at a speed that only Dineria could follow, the colorless projectile struck the wood with a dull thud. She didn't know if it was the wood or if she was weak, but her Magic Missile only left a small scratch. But she couldn't keep her mentor waiting by thinking about it, so she went ahead and used her other available skills.

After a few minutes, Dineria told her to stop and sit down. Then it was Srassa’s turn. Her God was named Hamie, and she was a Major God of Lightning and Light.  

From where she lacked in physical strength and weapon ability, Srassa made up for it in skills.  

Her God gave her the ability to use skills by saying their name. Well, for most techniques, anyway. She needed to chant the stronger ones, but the words of power required would be less than what someone like Momo would have to say.  

“Magic Missile!” Srassa shouted. Hers was a little bit larger and faster than Momo’s, and it made a scratch larger than Momo's Magic Missile. Then she used Thunder Snap, Protection, and finally, Lucem.

After a moment, Dineria spoke. “Srassa, your capability as a Skill User is astounding. If you pursue that route, then I see a bright future in front of you. Why the sword and bow?” 

“Because I want to fight on the frontline. I don’t want to be at the back, and I know that’s selfish. But my cousins and uncles and aunts have all been supporters. I want to break the cycle and fight up close,” she said after a moment of pondering. She thought it would be alright to tell her mentor the real reason.

And it was. Dineria had a past like everyone else. She'd seen the hardships and the bright moments in her 84 years of living. But, by Elven standards, she was no older than a child.  

“It’s not selfish in the slightest. Take me, for example. Everyone said I had to master the bow and use it because of my Elven heritage. And I said no, I want to use the sword. My old friends and family gave me a hard time, but I kept with it,” Dineria grabbed a wooden sword from nearby and held it against her chest as if she was a king's honor guard.

She moved, jumped, bounced, and flopped in a series of rolls and flips.  It was acrobatic, and she slashed and swiped and thrusted with her sword at every moment. Srassa and Momo could only look on with amazement.  It was like she was one with the wind, and as her body twisted and turned, the two onlookers were mesmerized. 

That’s the style of swordplay I want to use! If I can learn that and the bow, I can finally support my best friend! Still staring, Momo and Srassa happily clapped when Dineria took a bow.

“Now, I’m not going to promise you that you’ll be a master of the sword by the end of the month, but I will do the very best I can. Now, let’s have some tea, and I’ll tell you two what I saw and learned about you,” Dineria clapped lightly, and she and Momo and Srassa walked over to where a small table was at. Once she and the two mentees sat down, three waiters appeared almost out of nowhere.  Dineria told the two the previous day that tea was her passion. As such, she always had a large selection of tea in Levadia Woods. 

“We’ll take the bearel geey. Three cups, please,” Dineria said. The waiters nodded and walked off.  

A few minutes later, after some light chatting, a most delicious fragrance wafted around the air. It was the tea. Momo had never tasted whatever this ‘bearel geey’ was, but it smelled delicious.  It tasted even better.

“Now then,” Dineria said after dropping a small cube of sugar into her glass, “I’ll tell you what I saw. Momo, your core stance is outstanding for a beginner. Your back was straight, and you had your head lined up in just the right way. But your arms were a bit off. And you tend to slightly move when you release the arrow. As for your swordplay, I can see you have a good base to further expand upon. Were you taught by anyone?"

She nodded. “My grandpa reached Rank 3 before he retired. He taught me what he could with his sword, but grandpa was getting old. He kept joking that he was far more spry and agile in the past. And then I trained with Servi for the past month or so.”

“Servi?” asked Srassa. She took a tiny sip of her tea. Her stressed and teary face was gone, replaced by one of calmness and serenity.  

“She’s my friend. We’re in a party together, and during our free time, she’s been teaching me some stuff.” Srassa nodded and took another sip.  

“And for you, Srassa. We have a lot of work to do. Your arm shakes a lot, and you seem to be having some trouble releasing the string in one fluid motion. And your wrist shakes. But don’t worry, all of that can be fixed with the proper technique. And as for your sword, it also needs a lot of work. Like the bow, it can be fixed. So don’t worry. A month is a long time, and I like to teach.” 

“Thank you, Dineria! I promise I’ll work hard!” 

“Me too. I told Servi that I was going to take this seriously!” 

“Very good. Being eager to learn and knowing what you have to improve on are the first steps to actually improve yourself!” 

And so, for the rest of the lesson, which was a few hours long, Momo and Srassa patiently listened as Dineria demonstrated the correct form and posture for pulling back the bow. It was tough for Srassa, who always relied on her skills and never picked up or even touched the weapon in question, but she managed to hit the target. It took her forty or so minutes, longer than it took Momo. But like how Servi was happy for her, Momo made sure to show how excited she was. It was that positive reinforcement that caused her to improve as fast as she did. She was happy when they were happy for her. It’s like a never-ending circle of positivity.

We’re both here to learn. And grandpa told me that people retain information when you’re having fun. So yeah, I am having a good time. Dineria is super supportive, Srassa and I are gonna encourage each other, and soon enough, we'll be making some progress. Momo thought to herself as she watched Srassa fire off a couple of arrows.

“Ow,” she heard her say as she walked back. She cradled her hand. Dineria asked for permission to touch it.

“It’s just a little bit cramped up. But be happy! The pain is proof you’ve been trying. Get a little bit of ice and make sure to rest it. By tomorrow, it should be good. Speaking of that…” Dineria pulled a watch from her pocket. “It’s 3:53.”

Dineria then stood up and performed a series of stretches. “Be sure to do these every night before you go to bed and every morning when you wake up, okay? The style of sword I teach relies on flexibility. It’s going to hurt at first, but try to hold them as long as possible. And don’t stay up late. You have got to give your body the rest it needs. If you do, it'll be there when you need it. Oh, and as for food. Try to stay away from really fatty foods and stick to lean foods. Fish and chicken are good choices. Drink lots of water when you can…and I think that’s about it. If I think of anything else, I’ll let you know. I’ll see you two tomorrow at 8 AM. Be safe on the way back.” 

Srassa and Momo waved to their mentor and left. They walked side by side, chatting about various things. Momo thought it was kind of nice. She was super nervous on the first day, but it was such a pleasant experience, and the Singi was jolly. Her tail was definite proof of that with how it bounced and zagged all over the place.

“So I've got to go this way, but today was fun, wasn’t it?” Srassa said. A brisk breeze flew by, sending her blond hair up in a twirl. 

“It was. I’m so excited to continue!” 

“Me too. Bye, Momo. I’ll see you tomorrow.” 

“Bye-bye!” 

Momo watched as Srassa walked down the street leading to the fancy buildings. Mansions and big homes were commonplace, and everyone wore either elaborate suits or pretty dresses. That was the noble district, and it was home to the wealthiest people in Canary.

But just because someone is rich and a noble doesn't mean they’re unpleasant to be around. Grandpa told me that.  Take Srassa, for example. She’s a noble, but we might eventually become friends. Wait... are we already friends...?

We are, aren't we? Yay!!!! Momo jumped for joy and raised her arms high in the air, inadvertently twisting her wrist. "Oww... Hehe, maybe take it easy for a little bit, Momo..." Oh, and be sure to take a good shower. Dineria said hot water is good for relaxing the muscles. 

Some thirty or so minutes later, it was a little bit before 4:30, Momo came walking into Warden. She looked around and didn’t see Claire.  

She’s probably off of work by now. I hope her day was good. Hmm, I wonder if Servi is back yet? Oh, I hope so! 

Momo made her way up the stairs as she did so many different times before, and she stopped in front of a particular door.  

“Servi?” Momo said as she knocked. A few seconds later, it clicked open to reveal a very sleepy Servi in some casual clothes: a white shirt and black shorts that came to her knees.  She had on white socks but no shoes.

Yawning, she talked to her friend. “Hey, Momo.” 

“I’m sorry! Were you asleep?” 

“I was just laying in bed. I might’ve dozed off here and there.” 

And so the two friends talked. Servi excused herself for a second and closed the door to slip on more proper clothes. Then she walked out and took a seat on the bench beside her door. Momo joined her.  

Like the previous day, Momo relaxed back in the chair and playfully kicked her legs as she talked to her friend. They must’ve spent thirty or so minutes just chatting before Momo let out a big yawn.  

“Somebody’s tired.” 

“Hehe. It didn’t feel like I did that much, but my body is sore. I think I might shower and go to bed early. Dineria told us to be there at 8 AM.” 

“Same here. Fisher made us run and do sit-ups and a bunch of other things. I’m pretty tired..”  Servi yawned again.  

But why am I tired? I never get tired. It's supposed to be impossible for me to get tired.

“Dineria is making us do some stretches before we go to bed and after we wake up. That might help with your physical training. It’s supposed to help prevent cramps.” 

“Stretches, huh? I might do some. So how about dinner in an hour?” 

“Sounds good to me. I’ll see you then!” Momo made her way up the stairs, and Servi, still yawning, went back to her room.  

Like the night before, she took some random assortment of clothes up to the shower room, cleaned herself, dried off, and changed into her outfit with the overalls. She knew she said she was going to wash it, but it didn’t even smell.  

An hour later, the two were eating. Momo followed what Dineria said and ordered the chicken and a glass of water.  

When Servi asked why she didn’t order milk, Momo told Servi what Dineria told her.  

“That makes sense.” 

"It does, but man... I'm gonna miss my daily glass of milk..." Momo cutely pouted, but Servi was there to cheer her up.

"Eh, I don't think a glass here or there every few days will mess anything up. Milk has a bunch of calcium, so it's good for bones."

Calcium...? What's that? Momo wanted to ask, but she was just excited by the prospect of enjoying her dairy goodness again that it slipped her mind.

The meal was somewhat unremarkable, but Servi couldn’t taste that much flavor from her steak. Soon, they parted ways.  

“Good night, Momo.” 

“Good night, Servi.” 

Servi descended the stairs and groggily walked into her room.  After locking the door, she stumbled to her bed and fell on it.

Are you going to bed then? Good night, Servi. I love you.  

I love you, too. Good…nigh….t.” Servi fell victim to sleep the moment her head touched her pillow.

Hmm, that's interesting... Itarr mumbled after Servi had already drifted off to sleep.

48