Book Two – Interlude – Part Two – Fisher’s Requiem
1.4k 6 41
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Arnold held his arms out. “You have to make a choice. Submit to your mind or fight! And we both know what it’s going to be. You’re too weak and frail to ever overcome anything by yourself. That’s why you stood by and allowed me to cut that shitty Singi’s ear off and why you allowed me to stab that little fucker in the foot. In fact, was your sword even bloody? No, it wasn’t. You were too fucking frightened to keep your appearance, to keep your reputation, that I had to give you a bloody sword! You remember their cheers for the Justice Captain when you forced yourself to laugh at those fucking Singi? I was the only one to notice the tearful fucking look in your eyes when you helped me push him to the ground! I made you the Justice Captain! It was me! And you let me fucking die!” 

“STOOOPP!!!!” Fisher whined in a voice that wasn’t suited for a 14-year-old. That was when he discovered he somehow shrunk down to a form that was reminiscent of his 8-year-old self.

“You better make a choice! You’re shrinking and shrinking and shrinking, and soon? You’ll fade away. But your body is perfectively fine. This entire world is a construction of your mind to help you. I should clarify. Your body would be fine, but your mind would be gone. You’ll be nothing more than a Human shaped doll that can’t move or speak. It can’t even breathe, so you’ll be dead in a matter of minutes.” 

“NOOOOOO!!!!” It wasn’t the high-pitched voice of a boy who had yet to reach puberty but of a young toddler throwing a fit. Fisher shrunk again until he was his three-year-old self.

“What about your daughters? Or your wife? You’re going to leave them alone?! Or your students?! Oh, who are we kidding? You only care about Servi, the Human. Silverado and Desperado, you want them to die, maybe by having their guts pulled through their ass? Maybe Riki and Rakkire can hang from a tree somewhere? You know you want to stab your sword into Feral’s stomach, slice down, and pull all of his innards out. You know you want to!” 

I’m not strong. I can't take it anymore, Marissa... I’m too weak to keep it up. Mari, Meri, I’m sorry your father had to be so pathetic.  

He was now no bigger than a 2-year-old. The sun, still pouring meteorite-sized blood drops, jiggled and shifted.  

It was about to fall.  

Men of the city guard, I’m sorry your Captain was weak and frail.   

Fisher, now just 13 months old, started bawling his eyes out. With no more blood to drip, the black sun fell from the sky.

“This is your last chance, Fisher! Are you going to let your mind die?!” Arnold yelled. Unlike Fisher, Arnold kept his original form and never de-aged.

When the sun had 1,000 meters left until it hit the ground, Fisher de-aged to 5 months.  His body shrinking was proportionally related to his weakening psyche.

“You better do something!!!” Arnold continued to lash out taunts.

500 meters until it landed – Fisher was no older than a 3-month-old.  

10 meters until it landed – Fisher’s body, just a few seconds old at this point, became covered in blood. It was like an invisible mother had given birth to him, but he wasn’t crying. No, his mind had already shut down from the stresses of his past. He stared with dead eyes and a tiny body with lungs that couldn't breathe.  Not even a single atom of oxygen circulated through his frail body.

An image of what his funeral would be like flashed through his mind when the black sun was 4 meters away. They would say three things as his body was lowered into a grave. One: Fisher Jin was the best Captain of the Guard they ever had. Two: Fisher Jin was a loving father and husband. Three: Fisher Jin embodied the purest form of Justice.  

He considered none of that to be true.  

He thought it should’ve been more like this. One: Fisher Jin was the worst Captain of the Guard they ever had. He was weak and fearful of his past, and he was unable to overcome it. Two: Fisher Jin, the father, was a pathetic amalgamation of the Fisher Jin that most people thought was the truth. Three: Fisher Jin embodied the fakest justice that shouldn’t have been called justice.  

"Goodbye, Fisher Jin. The weakest man I had ever met. It was a regret to have even known you," the black sea surrounding the only thing left in the world, the pier, raged like a mad beast.  The tar-like consistency of the water splashed against the pier's support beams.  The wooden frame nearly shackled but stayed on tight as if it was the last remaining beacon of strength left in Fisher's mind.

The moment the sun was 3 meters away from landing on top of Fisher, it stopped. No, it more than stopped. It started to crack, then fracture, then finally crumbled into trillions of pieces.  

Something had stopped the falling black sun that threatened to destroy Fisher’s mind, but who was it? 

The little wooden pier started to shake, and a voice sounded out.  

“The Justice Captain is nothing more than a baby suckling on a teat. I thought you were someone to be impressed by when you started to teach about strategy. Was I wrong?” 

It was a Kobold who held a single thing in his massive hands. A shield. Big and tall, black and fierce, metal and raw.  It was held up to the sky and was the sole reason the massive, black sun cracked like glass.

Feral had shown up. In the deepest reaches of the concept making up Fisher Jin, his true self had sent out a message to the deep and dark mixing pot that was his collective unconsciousness.  

It was his true self. The genuine Fisher Jin wanted to live and make up for his past. The sincere Fisher Jin was locked away by the personal demons that attacked his soul. It was hidden away and only came out in times of doubt, like now. The two selves of Fisher would fight, with one being represented by Arnold and one being represented by Fisher, to convince the other to fade away.

It had happened fifteen times since the horrible attack, a little bit more than once a year. And every time, Arnold emerged victoriously.

Fisher didn't think he had another attempt in him. His mind faded more and more after every effort to eliminate his fears, and such battles wrought a heavy toll on his well-being.

But the current attempt-- the one that would be the last-- couldn't have been more different. The one person belonging to a race that reminded Fisher of his greatest fear and worst memory ended up saving him by annihilating the black sun that threatened to destroy his mind.  Usually, Fisher would just submit to Arnold, and his anger of the Demi-Humans would be reignited. 

But not this time.

For the very first time, Fisher sought help.  For the very first time, It was a Kobold who answered his call.

“If you are this Justice Captain, then stand and fight for justice!” Feral slammed his tail against the ground and adjusted his shield.

Slowly but surely, Fisher Jin began to age.  

“That’s right. Justice—no, Fisher Jin, Captain of the Guard. I am a Kobold, mighty and strong. You are a Human, frail and weak, but you’re courageous. You’ve stood alone against your personal demons for years. Your mental fortitude is much stronger than mine.” 

“Aye. That’s right,” from behind, two Dwarves materialized from nowhere. It was Riki and Rakkire.  

“We couldn’t have imagined a better mentor. You’re tough, but you care. You can’t let the other you win," Rakkire's prideful voice drowned out his and his cousin's matching footsteps.

Fisher, now aged 8, stood up.  

“Arnold--, no, you're not Arnold. You’re me. You only took on his form because I never had the strength to properly go against him. Maybe that’s why I couldn’t ever win.” 

“What?! Your mind should’ve shattered by now!” A mysterious light enveloped 'Arnold,' who slowly morphed and twisted and turned until he took on a form Fisher would never forget. 

It was like looking into a mirror that only reflected the darkest moments in one's life, only it wasn't a mirror.  Fisher stared at the lookalike in front of him.  Everything from the brown hair to the brown eyes to the torn clothing looked the same as it did on that fateful day. 

“Fisher, don’t let your past destroy you,” said Silverado, who suddenly appeared next to Fisher. He grew four years, becoming taller and more toned, but he didn't compare to the Fisher in front of him.

“Listen to me, my friend. Humans, Koena, Dwarves, Kobolds, Singi, and Elves can change the way they think and see things,” said Desperado, who came into existence on Fisher's left side.

The two Koena took their place in front of Fisher, who was now reminiscent of his 16 year-old-self and guarded him.  Little by little, his students gave him the confidence he needed to challenge his trauma, fear, and past, but it wasn't enough.  Fisher yearned for more strength.  He needed more power.  He needed more faith in himself, and only a short second later, he received everything he needed from a certain girl who carried a deep secret within.

“Fisher Jin, don’t you ever dare to give up. People can change. If you truly feel regret your past, then prove it by actions, not words. Stand against injustice and become the true meaning of justice. Take back your nickname whenever you feel you are worthy! Live as Fisher Jin, Captain of the Guard!”  

Servi, with her black hair and fierce red eyes, materialized right in front of him.  She turned around and presented him with a gift.

He looked at it with a tear in his eyes.  His instinct told him to smack it away and destroy it because he wasn't worthy of it.  But more than ever, he needed to believe in the false faith the citizens of Canary felt when they looked at him. 

An explosion of light engulfed Fisher when his shaking fingers glanced against the armor Servi held out, and all of his students stared at him.  The armor melted, becoming a black goop that raced up his arms and down his body until it covered him from head to toe. Then like glass, the light shattered to reveal a fully reformed Fisher.  The word 'Justice' appeared on his breastplate when his sword and dagger appeared in front of him.

As he went to equip them on his person, the Fisher Jin of 14 years ago, who used to be disguised as Arnold, shouted and yelled with everything he mustered. “DON’T DO THIS!!” his face contorted in pure pain. “REMEMBER, YOU CAN’T TRUST THESE DEMIS!!” 

The older Fisher-- the real Fisher-- took his nadrium dagger and scratched out the word ‘Justice’ on his armor.  

“I’m no longer the Justice Captain, but you’re still me. You’re the dark past I clung to when I was in times of need. I won’t throw you away to the darkness. To do so will deny that you ever existed. I need you to remain with me so I can always remember the immature brat I used to be.” 

Fisher sheathed his dagger and walked towards his younger self. He backed away slowly. A look of fright, like a deer staring down his killer after a botched arrow barely missed his vitals, appeared in his brown eyes.

“Don’t! You can still kill those filthy Demis behind you! Behead that filthy Human traitor!!!” 

“I won’t. I won't ever kill someone for something a member of their race had done in the past. I was too young at the time to realize that... It was like a deep fog had covered my mind in an impenetrable darkness for a decade... I couldn't see the truth or realize how harmful my actions were...” The older Fisher had his arms out as the younger one kept backing up.  

“Fisher Jin, I won’t deny you. It’s time for both of us to grow up and see that things aren’t so black and white like we thought." The genuine Fisher spoke such words the younger one never wanted to hear.

“NOOOOOOO!! I won’t ever forgive them!! I WON'T EVER FORGIVE THEM!!” The younger Fisher turned to jump in the black sea of blood and bodies but was stopped by the old Fisher when he lashed out and grabbed his shirt. He yanked his arm back, pulling the younger Fisher into a hug that he fought desperately against. 

“It’s alright now. We both have to do our parts to make up for the hardships we both caused.” Tears welled up in both Fishers' eyes.

The younger Fisher struggled and struggled, but it was useless. "YOU'RE AREN'T ME, AND I'M NOT YOU!!!!! LET ME--" The younger Fisher's frantic cries were cut short by a pillar of white light.  It stretched just enough to enclosed the hugging pair, yet it towered above everything that remained in the scar-fueled world that was Fisher's mind. 

When it faded,  Fisher Jin stood up and faced his precious students.

“When we first met, I hated every one of you except Servi. And that was because of your race. I knew it was wrong then, but I couldn’t help it. I was weak. But now I know I can overcome it, and I have all of you to thank for. Feral, you’re a good man. I have no doubt you’ll be an excellent tank.” 

“Fisher Jin, I thank you for teaching me,” the moment Feral said that, he disappeared in a flash of green light.  

“Silverado and Desperado, your tanking ability is further amplified by your tough scales. Your body is a natural defense against attacks, so be sure to properly train it.” 

The two Koena nodded and smiled at their mentor, who had fought against the darkness created from his mind. They faded away together in a mix of white and black light.  

“Riki and Rakkire, as Dwarves, you would probably often have a height disadvantage, but you can turn that around. Remember, the bigger the enemy, the harder they fall. Work in tandem and cover for each other’s weaknesses.” 

“Aye, we’ll do you proud, Fisher,” Riki said. Rakkire nodded. Soon, a brown light enveloped them.  

It was just Fisher Jin and Servi, standing face to face on that dinky little pier. There was still no sun, yet a warming light filled the world around them.

“And you, Servi. The one I have yet to figure out. You’re obviously strong. Hell, even stronger than me. Your hand-over-blade stance is flawless. I can’t see anything wrong with it. You bravely climbed up a shield to attack, and you took Feral’s attack at full power.  Not to mention that you can use skills even when you mess up the chant. You’re an enigma, a major exception to a major rule."

Servi only smiled and stayed silent.  

“I know you didn’t need to join this program. Honestly, I should be learning from you, but I know you probably have your reasons for joining."

“Fisher Jin, stay on the side of justice; The proper justice that fights for those who were done wrong and punishes those who take advantage of the weak and frail. Don’t let the flames of anger corrupt your heart or soul anymore and strive to be the best you. You may still feel sadness and regret, but learn from your mistakes and become a better man each and every day.” 

Servi nodded at Fisher one last time before her body disappeared in a blast of red fire.  

“I’ve won, but at what cost? It took ten years and a bunch of Demi-Humans to make me see the way. But at least I see it, now,” Fisher stared at the ominous sky that began to change color. He knew what would happen. Since he won the battle in his mind, he would soon be kicked out of it. But he wasn’t scared or afraid.  

Just a few more minutes, and I’ll be back on the street 

Sixty seconds later, the wooden pier and the sea of blackness that surrounded him exploded into a white light that lit up the whole world inside his mind. With no ground to stand on, Fisher fell.

He fell and fell and fell and fell and fell until a city came into view. It was Canary.  

He knew it was impossible, but he knew exactly where his body was.  

There it is. Fisher focused his attention on a man standing alone in an empty alley. The ground closed in, the wind raced against his body, and the moment his falling body struck it, he blinked.  

When he opened his eyes, he was standing in the alleyway. Taking a moment to glance down, he checked his arms and legs, then his chest, and finally, his weapons.  

Suddenly, he laughed out loud as his armored finger scraped against a bunch of scratch marks on his breastplate. The word ‘Justice’ was no longer readable.  

“I guess that’s proof. From now on, I am Fisher Jin, simply Captain of the Guard of Canary. Justice Captain is a name I do not deserve. Not until I bring real justice to everyone, Human and Demi-Human.  I will only take that nickname when I am worthy of it.” 

Feeling renewed, he picked up his pace and ran to his house. It was a fancy two-floor affair, equipped with a stove, a refrigerator, and a working shower and toilet fueled by Wash Stones. He was living way better off than any other commoner and even some nobles. Just having a toilet and shower was enough, but having the other items was a blessing.  

Gripping the brass handle to the brown door of his house, he entered in, took off his armor, leaving him in comfortable clothing, and went to the kitchen. It wasn’t big, but it was enough. He wanted to be proud of the house and life he had acquired for his wife and daughters.  

He saw his wife. Tall and beautiful, he loved her very much. She was bobbing her head to a lovely tune she hummed. He knew his children, Mari and Meri, would be asleep in their rooms. They were young, and it was late.  

“Marissa, I’m home,” Fisher said.  

“Hello, dear, I was just making you a small plate. Are you hungry?” Marissa turned around. Her brown hair and blue eyes lit up his view, and Fisher felt a surge of emotion create even more tears. His hands went to his face, rubbing his crying eyes as whimpers escaped from his sobbing mouth.

Marissa smiled gently, laid down the plate of food she had made him on the counter, and walked over.  

“There there, you can tell me what’s wrong,” she lovingly said as she embraced him.  

And for the rest of the night, Fisher told his beloved wife the past that he had kept secret for ten years. She did nothing but listen with a loving heart and an open mind. He confessed all he did, and he eventually cried himself to sleep.  

Such an action was unbefitting of someone who held the nickname of Justice Captain, but he didn’t care about that anymore. And neither did Marissa. She loved Fisher for the kindness she knew he had deep within him.  That was why Marissa married him and gave birth to two precious daughters. A housewife she was, she wasn't weak or frail, and Marissa had the strength to carry her husband up to their room and put him to bed.

“My love, you might have done wrong in the past, and you regret that.  That's the first step to moving on. Now, you must apologize, make amends, and do better from now on. I’ll be here every step of the way,” his wife affectionately whispered. She rested her head against his chest and stared up longingly at him.  A few seconds later, Marissa closed her eyes and synchronized her breathing to Fisher's respirations.

Soon, morning arrived, and Fisher stirred awake. The first thing he saw was the beautiful eyes of his wife staring up at him.  He was lying in bed on his soft golden blankets, and his head rested on a black pillow stuffed with fluffy feathers.  

How did I get to bed? Was it Marissa? He thought as he stared at his wife, who had fallen asleep against Fisher's chest. Her gorgeous eyes opened from her slumber, and she lovingly kissed her husband's chest.

“Good morning, dear,” Marissa spoke in the kind voice that Fisher thought he would never get to hear again.

41