Chapter 8: Last Spurt
470 2 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I can hear it’s ragged breath as it chases me. Each step it takes the ground shakes. I can’t afford to lose concentration for even a single second.

I’m not worried though. How many times have I been in this situation, having someone chase me from behind? Hundreds, maybe thousands of times this has occurred. I’ll only permit a select few to overtake me. Do you think the title of “Always Fourth” is a joke? I’m always fourth because I can’t beat the monsters in front of me. If you’re a monster behind me, then you’ll never overtake me!!

“R-r-run, bu-t-t-t yo-u-u-u can’t g-g-get a-a-away. KYAAAALALALALA!!!”

“Don’t you DARE UNDERESTIMATE ME!!!”

Do you know how much I have trained for this? I’m not going to let some mill of the house monster beat me in running. You’re nothing compared to the monsters I face every day in the track. Those monsters who can compete at the Olympic level are scarier than you’ll ever be, you ugly piece of shit!

Those monsters who can run 10 seconds 100-meter dashes are what I’ve been competing against. Do you think you scare me? Do you think I’ll lose to you? I won’t. I won’t. I’ll never lose to a monster who’s never trained to run.

11 seconds might not be enough to compete with those monsters, but it’s good enough for you. You’ll never catch up to me at this rate. Another 100 meters and I’ll be done with you.

90 meters

70 meters

50 meters

30 meters

10 meters

0 meters

“Run Tod! Keep running! You’re almost there!”

Thanks for the support, Jude. During these few hours I’ve known you, I really admire you. You praised me for my actions even though I was unsure if they were correct or not. I hope I can grow into a person like you, someone who can confidently take action. I’ll meet you in the guard room.

“C-c-come bac-k-k-k!!!”

I won’t listen to you.

I run around the corner and go up the stairs. At that time, I could hear the monster crash into the wall. It wasn’t able to turn around the corner safely.

Just a little bit more and I’ll be free from this prison.

“Tod, RUNNN!!!”

Why are you screaming Jude? I’ve already made it to the guard room. I just need to open the door and go inside. Look, it’s unlocked already, we can all safely escape.

“Fifi can you do anything to save Tod.”

“I can’t, he’s too far away.”

“KYAAAALALALALA!!! I-i-i love-ve-ve w-w-when hope-pe-pe is destroyed-ed-ed. KYAAAALALALALA!!!”

“TODDDD!!!”

“NOOOO!!!”

Why are you guys screaming? Wait, why can’t I move? The door is already opened, I just need to walk in and I'll be free. Why aren’t my legs moving!? Walking should be as simple as breathing. Just walk through. It’s right there, just walk! Why aren’t you walking Tod!!

Hahaha, that’s probably why I can’t walk. My legs are gone. They aren’t there anymore!! All that’s left is a pool of blood on the ground.

I see I failed, didn’t I? I guess I won’t be going home then. I guess I won’t have the chance to propose to you, Jessica. I guess I won’t be able to show my parents the first place medal. I guess I won’t be leaving the prison with you guys. I’m sorry for being a disappointment.

…...

Lying down in my own pool of blood, I start to see my memories flash by. Even as a young child I wasn’t a very good sprinter. I would race against my relatives and still end up in fourth place. I guess that was when I was stuck with the title “Always Fourth.” Being fourth place didn’t discourage me from pursuing a career in running though. I love running no matter what place I was in.

I wonder, when did I start to hate the title of “Always Fourth.” No matter how many times I was in fourth, I still loved running as a child. Maybe it was during High School when there were so many competitions. Always in Fourth in all of them made me hate that title.

Was there ever a time I wasn’t in fourth? I think there was! How could I forget about it?! I’m so sorry Jessica. I forgot what you’ve done for me.

It was even on the day I asked her to go out with me that I got 2nd place. I’m such an idiot for forgetting it.

Now that I remember it, it was a really embarrassing moment. It was during my senior year of high school, and it was the final competition of the year. Right before the competition, I went up and confessed to her.

I had always loved her since the start of high school. She was also in track and field and that is how we met. She participated in the female’s 100 meters dash, but unlike me, she was always in the top 2 in every race. She was amazing.

She was good but it wasn’t because of talent. Every single day during practice, she trained harder than any other person there. I admired that and wanted to be like her. Time passed and we became good friends, but deep down my love for her grew.

I always made it my goal to ask her out if I got higher than fourth place in any race, but it never happened. I could have asked her out at any time, but I probably made this condition because I was afraid, afraid that she’ll reject me. Maybe that’s why I never got higher than fourth place. I was holding myself back.

But during that last competition, it was different. I mustered up my courage and decided to ask her out because I didn’t want to have any regrets. We were already good friends, and I took that step to become more than just friends.

“Jessica!!!”

“Whoa, why so excited Tod?”

“I just wanted to tell you something.”

“Hmmmm, is it a confession of something?”

I still clearly remember how surprised I was at what she said. It was like she had seen straight through me.

“Uh, umm, yeah. If I get higher than 4th place, will you go out with me.”

“Hahaha, nope.”

I was shocked. My whole world was crumbling at her reply. I wanted to dig myself into a hole and stay there for the rest of my life. But what she said after washed away all my worries.

“I don’t care if you’re in 4th, 3rd, 2nd, 1st, or even last place. Why don’t we just start going out right now?”

“Uhhh.”

“Like I’m saying, we should just start going out right now.”

“Are you sure?”

“You’re an idiot aren’t you Tod. I’m saying I like you too. In fact, I’ve been in love with you since our sophomore year.”

I was so happy. My heart was racing and my whole body was burning up. I didn’t even have the slightest clue that Jessica liked me back. I had always thought that it was a one-sided love.

“Now go out there and win. If you get higher than 4th place, I’ll give you a kiss.”

That was the first time I had ever run so fast in my life. I wasn’t paying attention to who was in front or behind me. I didn’t even care if I got 4th place, I just wanted to impress Jessica. And that was how I got 2nd place for the first time in my life.

I can’t believe I forgot this memory. I’ve been so obsessed with always being in fourth place that I forgot about this precious memory of me and Jessica. I don’t need to be higher than fourth place, it doesn’t even matter if I’m in fourth place. I should have just enjoyed running.

I can’t believe it took me this long to realize my errors. But it’s better to learn it at the end of my life than to have never learned it at all.

…...

I guess it’s true when they say that your life flashes before your eyes. All the happy memories, all the bad memories, and even the regular memories are being repeated.

I guess my life is ending, isn’t it? Everything is becoming dark and cold. I can’t even hear the voices of Jude or Mako anymore. Dying is such a lonely event. I hope you guys escape from here. I don’t want you guys dying a lonely death like me.

‘O young child who prayeth to us. Art thee willing to embrace us.’

Who are you?

‘We art thy gods who ye prayeth to. We art here to welcome thee back into the holy land. Doth thee have any lingering wishes.’

Can you save my two friends? They’re currently facing off against a grotesque monster. I don’t want them to end up like me.

‘Tis regrettable, but we can’t saveth thy friends. Our power has’t diminished, but we can grant thee the strength to protecteth ye friends. But be warneth, thy embers shall fade away in haste.’

It’s fine. As long as I can give my life to protect theirs, then I can die with no regrets. I’ll embrace all of you and go back to the holy land.

‘Giveth strength to this young child who seeks to protecteth ye friends.’

Thank you.

11