Chapter 9: Diving into Victory
458 1 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Tod was running and that monster was chasing after him. Looking at the situation, Tod was clearly faster than that monster. It wouldn’t take long for Tod to reach the guard room.

“Mako let’s head back to the other stairs.”

“Wait, aren’t we going to save Tod?”

“It’ll be fine. Tod will outrun that monster. Trust him. We also need to think about how we can get out.”

“O-ok.”

While the monster’s attention was on Tod, I decided that it would be safer for Mako and me to head towards the stairs we had initially set to go up. If we still went for the other stairs, then we’ll encounter the monster and the chances of us surviving drops.

We turn around and start running back to the stairs. It didn’t take long since we had only run about 50 meters away from the stairs.

The atmosphere of this prison was odd. While we are running, I briefly glance over towards the cells but the inmates were lifeless. The ones I can see are just sitting on top of their beds listlessly. They aren’t even paying to the commotion we are causing.

We hurried up the stairs and check on Tod. Looking at Tod, he was almost at the other stairs. The monster was still chasing, but there was a definite gap between them.

“Run Tod! Keep running! You’re almost there!”

Tod turns around the corner and rushes towards the stairs. The monster was right behind, but because of its stumpy legs, it couldn’t turn well. It crashes into the wall and a cloud of smoke was made. Tod didn’t waste time and immediately runs up the stairs.

He was going to make it.

“Let’s hurry Mako.”

“Yeah.”

Even though we had gotten onto the second floor before Tod, Tod was still faster than us. While we are still about 100 meters from the door, Tod was already there. I can see him opening the door.

From the corner of my, I see something. It was some kind of tentacle rising from the cloud of smoke. It was aiming for Tod.

“Tod, RUNNN!!! Fifi can you do anything to save Tod.”

“I can’t! He’s too far away.”

Fuck, can we really not do anything!? Can we only watch as Tod is killed? I can’t let this happen. I promised him that we would all escape from here. I have to do something.

My legs were running, running as fast as it could. I don’t care if I’m out of breath, I don’t care if my heart explodes, I have to save him.

Faster, faster, faster. I try and run faster, but I can’t reach him. It’s only 80 more meters, but I can’t reach him. I’m stuck in a bog, each step I take becomes weaker and weaker. I’m sinking, the power in my legs isn’t enough to escape from it. I throw the pair of scissors in my hand as a last-ditch effort but it didn't get anywhere close to them.

“KYAAAALALALALA!!! I-i-i love-ve-ve w-w-when hope-pe-pe is destroyed-ed-ed. KYAAAALALALALA!!!”

“TODDDD!!!”

“NOOOO!!!”

The moment Tod opens the door, the monster whips it’s tentacle towards him. From the thigh down, Tod’s legs were sliced off. His body spun in the air due to momentum and he landed in a pool of his blood. Even if we tried to save him, it would be too late. There was too much blood gushing out of his injury.

The monster wraps it’s tentacle around Tod’s legs and begins waving it around joyfully. It was antagonizing us.

“Let’s go, Mako. Hurry and escape while it’s distracted. HURRY!!!”

I usher Mako to hurry as the monster retracts its tentacle. We didn’t have time to be angry. We still needed to escape.

We continue to run but I could help hear that monster’s ugly voice.

“D-D-Delicious! So-o-o j-j-juicy. KYAAAALALALALA!!!”

It was eating Tod’s legs. I can’t see it, but I could hear it. That ugly son of a bitch was emphasizing every single bite it took out of it. The crunch on the bone, the slurping of blood, and the groans of joy. Every single detail was being dramatized.

It was toying with us, just like how it did with the other inmates. That tentacle could have been used to kill us while we were running, but it didn’t do that. It wants us to run and struggle for its enjoyment. Now it’s trying to infuriate us, it wants us to be angry, it wants us to feel frustrated, but I won’t give it to him. We’re going to escape.

We were almost at the door leading to the guard room. The only problem at hand was the monster’s tentacle. Considering what happened to Tod, the reach on that tentacle is incredible.

The monster still hadn’t moved from the first floor, but once we get close to the door it’ll attack us. Knowing its personality, it’ll attack us the moment someone reaches the door.

“Mako go through the door before me.”

“What about you?”

“Trust me.”

I know I don’t have any right to tell her to trust me since I basically killed Tod. I told her to trust him and didn’t send support. I truly believed that Tod would be able to escape without our help, but it was my error in judgement that led to him being killed.

This time it’s going to be different. I’ll protect her and help her escape even if it costs me an arm and a leg.

“Ok, but you have to survive too!!”

Her eyes were burning through me. She had already seen that I was going to risk my life for her. That smile on her face was full of determination and warmth. I guess I can’t go risking my life carelessly now.

“Of course.”

The door was wide open in front of us. Tod had done us a favor and left the door open for us. Even if it’s just an extra second, it’s going to help.

Tod’s body was right in front of the door. The ground was covered in his blood. I’m sorry Tod, but we have to leave without you. I’ve only known you for a few hours, but I’ll never forget what you’ve done for us.

“Fifi, when you see the monster's tentacle move, tell me.”

“Ok.”

When Tod was attacked, I wasn’t able to see the tentacle’s tip. I was only able to see it before it attacked. The tentacle was way too fast for me to see, but if it’s Fifi then she’ll be able to see it.

Mako was about to reach the exit. No one could have expected it, but she dived into the room.

While Mako was in mid-dive, the monster started to move. Ever since we were near the door, I’ve been watching it’s every movement.

“B-b-booo!!!”

With its incredible leg strength, it jumped towards us. It was trying to grab Mako’s leg. Since Mako decided to dive into the room, the only part of her body not in the room was her legs. I wasn’t going to let that monster grab her.

My plan wasn’t that complex. If it was going to jump up then I was going to push it down. If it was going to use its tentacle, then I’ll block it. Since it jumped up here, then I’ll be sending it back down. It might hurt, but it’ll give Mako time to run.

I prop my makeshift shield up and run towards the monster. It was right behind the guardrail and was paying attention to Mako.

Ten feet shouldn’t hurt too much. Following Mako’s example, I dive over the railing into the monster. I’m sure my dive wasn’t as beautiful as hers, but it works.

My body crashes into the monster’s and I could feel its bones. Besides its arms and legs, the rest of its body was just skin on bones. I could clearly feel its ribcage, it felt disgusting.

My plan worked and it couldn’t grab onto Mako’s legs. Both of us were falling. Looking at it now, 10 feet is still a pretty scary drop. I just have to hope that nothing breaks from the fall.

From the corner of my eye, I could see the tentacle wiggling. It was preparing to shoot for Mako.

“I won’t let you.”

The tentacle was protruding from the back of the monster’s head and it was the perfect size to hold onto. I grab the base of the tentacle with my right hand and start to bash my head into the monster’s face. I’m going to wipe its grotesque smile away.

I bash and I bash, and by the fourth time I bashed my head into its face, I hear Fifi’s voice.

“It’s aiming for your face from the left.”

I immediately let go of the base of the tentacle and brought up my makeshift shield in my left hand. With both hands holding onto the shield, I bring it up to my face.

The next moment I was sent flying away. The force of the tentacle was so intense that I was spinning around in the air. The shield was broken and my arms were numb, but I’ve accomplished my objective. Mako just needs to run now.

Not even a second later, my body crashed into the ground before flying into the wall. Ironically, this was the same spot the monster had crashed into earlier.

I couldn’t breathe, the wind was knocked out of me. My vision is blurry and my body aches. Worst of all, my heart was racing like a machine gun. It’s trying to shoot its way out of my body.

I can barely move off the ground. My arms are shaking from trying to push my body up. It feels like I’m trying to lift an elephant.

“O-o-ow. Ow-w-w. O-o-ow. It-t-t h-h-hurts!!!!”

Ahh, hearing that monster writhe in pain is so satisfying. It’s giving me enough energy to get up. I’ll get away even if I have to drag my body.

The stairs were right in front of me. I finally got up and start to wobble my way towards the stairs. Was my body always this heavy? I should go on a diet one of these days.

Maybe, it’s because my whole body is hurting, but I didn’t realize that my forehead was bleeding. Blood had gotten into my left eye and all I can see is red from it.

I reach the stairs and hold onto the rails for support. As I take a step onto the stairs, I suddenly felt pressure on my left leg.

13