Chapter 49: Left All Alone
209 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The demon was trying to tear the golden whip off but it wasn’t working. The angel flew into the sky, trying to choke the demon to death but the demon held on tight to the wall.

“Give up, Ganach. This is where you will die.”

“No, I won’t die to you!”

Black smoke begins to appear from the demon’s body and it wasn’t long before his body was hidden in the smoke. The elements in the surroundings were unstable and felt like it was being sucked into the black smoke. A sense of dread was beginning to build up inside of me.

This type of pressure I was feeling from the black smoke was unbelievable. It was near the same kind of strength Tigurka possessed. The demon had been holding back on us this entire time, or more like he didn’t think we were strong enough for him to show his true strength.

“Fifi, are you almost done healing me.”

“Just a little bit more until you can move.”

I could feel my body recovering but I still couldn’t move yet. Mary was a few feet away and I could see her entire body shivering. Even someone at her strength was afraid of this demon’s power. Goldie and Mary’s father stood around her to protect her from the demon’s pressure even though they were both seriously injured.

A second later the smoke clears up and a shockwave shoots throughout the surroundings. I held on tight to the ground and blocked Fifi from the shockwave. Looking back, the demon had disappeared from his spot.

“Damn, holy weapon. If it wasn’t for this then you would have been dead.”

“Don’t underestimate me, Ganach. We’ve been chasing you for hundreds of years and today will be the day I kill you.”

“Foolish, I’ve already killed all your comrades so what can you do?”

“I’ll avenge them and take your head.”

I look into the sky where I hear the voices. The demon’s appearance drastically changed. His height halved in size and his brutish appearance wasn’t there anymore. There was a hint of elegance to his appearance. His black skin shone with luster and there were now red markings all over his body.

The demon was floating in the sky with the angel. The demon had grown wings when it evolved into his new form. It seems like the demon had tried to attack the angel but he had expertly wrapped the demon’s arms with the whip. Charring smoke could be seen rising from the areas the whip had wrapped the demon.

“Holy Maiden Lashi, please vanquish my enemy for me. Avenge my fallen comrades and bring the hammer of justice upon this demon. Holy Martyr.”

“Gagu Gane Biean Den. Shadow Warp.”

A golden apparition in the shape of a woman appeared behind the demon and tried to smash him with her hammer but the demon teleported away. Even though he was able to escape the apparition with a hammer, the whip still held on tight to the demon’s arms.

“I told you I won’t let you escape this time. Sing your praises for our Holy Lord. Your voice will be the song to defeat demons. Pierce this unholy one’s body and send him to the holy land for purification. Holy Anthem.”

More golden apparitions appear but this time they looked like a marching band. Every one of them was holding an instrument and their uniforms were flashy. A song begins to play and it was soothing to the ear. The apparition with the hammer seemed to get stronger as it began to chase the demon.

“Aaaaahhhh!!! It hurts, Mommy! Save me, Daddy!!!”

Mary began to scream in pain. I could even see Goldie and Mary’s father weaken in strength. They were also being affected by this song but not in a good way.

“Fifi, is there any way to help them!”

“Block the sound out and that will help them.”

I begin to cover all three of them within earth magic. Layer after layer, I create more so the sound can’t reach the three of them. Just to make sure they would stay safe, I create an air bubble to protect them too. It was strange, the three of them seemed to be in pain but I wasn’t. I could feel my body being strengthened and healed.

The only reasonable conclusion is because they were all undead. This kind of magic must be strong against the undead or something like that. Now that I have time to experience this magic, isn’t this support magic? I could feel a warmth spreading throughout my body.

I turn my attention towards their battle in the skies and it was astonishing. The angel was constantly casting magic where golden apparitions would appear. It was like he was creating an army all by himself. The demon, on the other hand, was being pushed back. He was able to cast his dark magic but it was being overwhelmed by the angel’s magic.

The demon’s aura was stronger than the angel but the demon was being held back by that whip. The whip has somehow restricted the demon from being able to use all of his strength.

“Pesky low ranking angel. I’ll kill you and consume your mana.”

“Go ahead if you can!”

The demon completely forgot about us and was concentrating all on the angel. Eventually, their battle was getting further and further away from us. Their struggles continue into the sky and I could see glimpses of their magic begin fired off. My body was starting to feel better so I get up and unleash the three of them from my magic.

“Mommy!! Mommy!!! It hurts!! I want to see you!”

All three of them were laying on the ground and their bodies were slowly disappearing. Their bodies were turning into motes of golden light and all of them were in severe pain.

“Fifi, what’s happening!? Is there any way to save them?”

“It’s too late, Jude. That angel’s magic was too strong and their bodies couldn’t handle it.”

I run on over and hold onto Mary and Goldie. Mary was crying out for Professor Jane and Goldie was weakly whimpering. Their lives were starting to burn out.

“Don’t give up yet, Mary!! You want to see your Mommy, right!? I’ll take you to her.”

I pick up Mary and Goldie while I’m at it, I carry Mary’s father too. Carrying Mary and Goldie was easy because they were light but it’s different when we add in Mary’s father. At times like this, I really wish I had a stronger body. I begin to run but I’m too slow. If I don’t hurry then Mary will die without being able to see her mom.

I won’t ever let her experience the same things I’ve been through. I’ll let her say her farewells to her mom. I have to be faster. Be faster, Jude!! Even if your body gives out or your heart explodes, be faster!!! Let Mary have her last moments be with her family!!!

|......|

“What!? Jude left!”

‘Jude! Jude! Jude! Jude! Jude! Nooooooo!!!! He’s going to die!!!!’

Calm down, Mei 1. He’ll be fine.

{Damn it! Mei 2’s still unconscious, Jude’s being chased by that demon, and Mei 1 is having a breakdown, the situation’s the worst.}

“How long has he been gone?”

“About 30 minutes or so.”

{He should still be alive, he’s strong after all. If I can reach him then I might be able to save him by using my 5 locks ability. I can’t let my sisters go through the experience of losing Jude again. This time he might die and the two of them won’t be able to recover.}

{That bastard, Jude! Why are you always so reckless!! Always trying to sacrifice your life for others. I know you’re strong but do you always have to do everything by yourself. Aah, this is really giving me a headache. I still haven’t recovered from using my power so this just adds on to the pain in my head.}

Stop crying, Mei 1. I’ll go and save Jude right now!

{I try to leave the car but Gogo stops me. Gogo’s eyes were telling me that it was too late to save Jude but I won’t give up. I know he can’t die this easily and I won’t let him die! I won’t let him destroy my sisters’ hearts with his death.}

“Don’t stop me, Gogo. I’m going to save him!”

“Wait…”

{I hurry out of the car before Gogo could finish his sentence. There was a trail of blood on the ground and I was about to follow it but I saw something in the distance. There was a figure in the distance but as it got closer, I could tell it was Jude. He was carrying Goldie and two other people.}

{I was going to give him a piece of my mind but I stop myself. This look on his face was something I’ve never seen before. No, I have seen it once. It was the same face he had when he tried to save Tod, it was the face of desperation.}

‘Jude, he’s alive.’

{Mei 1 sounded relieved but I couldn’t say I felt the same. Why was Jude making this face? What caused this?}

“Jude, what’s wrong?”

“P-please look after them.”

{He was out of breath but he didn’t stop to rest. He gently lays the three of them down before heading towards the car. One of them was Goldie, another was a little girl, and the last person was Professor Liam. What did Jude go through that made him bring back a little girl and Professor Liam?}

{Goldie’s injuries were so severe that I could see the bones inside of his body. The other two weren’t as injured but it seems like all three of them were inflicted with the same injury. Parts of their bodies were transforming into golden motes of light and they were in severe pain. The little girl was squirming and screaming for her Mommy while Goldie was breathing so heavily. Only Professor Liam didn’t show any signs of pain, he just lies there lifelessly.}

“G-goldie.”

{He was whimpering and crying weakly. My heart was breaking. I didn’t know him very long but he was such an energetic and happy dog. Seeing him so weak is painful. The only thing I can do is comfort him in his last remaining moments.}

“It’ll be fine Goldie. You’ll be fine.”

{I stroke his fur and my tears begin to come out. This wasn’t the first time I’ve experienced a dog’s death but it never becomes easier.}

“All three of you will be fine. Jude and Fifi will find a way to save all of you so don’t worry.”

‘Don’t go making impossible promises, Mei 3. Both Jude and Fifi aren’t omniscient beings.’

{I’m surprised at Mei 1’s speed of recovery but I’m sure Fifi should be able to save them. She’s an ancient fairy after all. She must have some knowledge on how to save them.}

{I wonder how this little girl and Professor Liam got into this situation. I can’t bear watching them in pain. This little girl shouldn’t have to experience this much suffering at her age.}

“Let’s go, Professor Jane! Your daughter wants to see you!”

“No, that thing isn't my daughter anymore! I don’t want to see her!”

“I-It’s her dying wish to see you! You’re going to let your daughter die without fulfilling her last wish!”

“I don’t care!”

{Jude was arguing with Professor Jane. I look towards the car and I could see Jude force her out. The others get out of the car and could only watch as the situation unfolds. Professor Jane continues to struggle as Jude carries her over his shoulder. Now that I look at her, this little girl does resemble Professor Jane and Professor Liam. It must be their daughter, Mary.}

“I’ve brought her, Mary.”

“No, let me go!”

“Thank you, Mr.Selfish Hero. Hehe, you’re not very selfish are you.”

“Haha, I’m working on it.”

{Her voice was so weak and sounded like it could fade away at any moment. I don’t know what they’ve been through but Jude and Mary had a close connection.}

“I’m sorry, Mommy. Mommy doesn’t like Mary anymore but I will always like you. I’m sorry for getting angry and chasing after you. I just want to be together as a family again.”

{Professor Jane blankly listens to Mary speak. Mary reaches over to Professor Liam’s hand and holds it.}

“See, Daddy’s right here. I’m happy we can be together one last time, Mommy.”

{Professor Jane was about to say something but she was interrupted.}

“I-I’m s-sorry, K-karla.”

“John!”

{Professor Jane grabbed both of their hands and began crying. Professor Liam had been lifeless just a minute ago but for a single second, he regained enough clarity to apologize to Professor Jane. This was the first time I’ve ever heard him call Professor Liam call her by her first name. When Mei 1 had been working at their lab, not once did he ever call her Karla.}

“I’m sorry! I’m so sorry!”

“It’s ok, Mommy. Don’t cry. Daddy and I are going to be gone for a while so you have to take care of yourself, ok.”

“Y-yes, I will.”

“Remember to clean your clothes and wash your dishes, ok. You and Daddy always left a mess for me to clean up at home. I won’t be there anymore so you have to be responsible.”

“Yes, I will.”

“If you have any troubles then please ask Mr.Selfish Hero for help. He’s very nice even though he says he’s selfish.”

“Yes, I will.”

“Can you take care of Mommy, Mr.Selfish Hero?”

“Y-yes, I can. I’ll do it for you, Mary.”

{Jude’s voice was shaking and he was crying. He tries to wipe the tears away but they keep on coming out. I can’t say that I’m any different from Jude since I’m also crying but I was just surprised to see him crying. Mary stops talking and she takes a deep breath in.}

“Thank you for being my Mommy, Mommy. I love you.”

“I love you too, Mary! I love you so much!!!”

{Mary and Professor Liam’s hands disappear into motes of light and so do their bodies. Professor Jane grasps at the motes of light but they go straight through her hand. Realizing that her efforts were futile, she hunches over the spot Mary lied on before letting out a heart-wrenching wail.}

‘Rest in peace, Mary and Professor Liam.’

{Mei 1’s voice was calm but I wasn’t. It was too heartbreaking seeing a family be separated like this. Neither Mary or Professor Liam deserved to die like this. The pain Professor Jane is going through is too harsh for me to imagine. If only this zombie apocalypse never happened, then they could have still been a happy family!}

“Thank you for keeping Goldie company, Mako.”

{Jude comes on over and begins to pet Goldie. He was crying when Mary had disappeared but now he wasn’t. I thought it was heartless of Jude to not cry for Goldie but I was wrong. He was trying his hardest not to cry.}

“You’ve been a good boy, Goldie.”

{Goldie whimpers and licks Jude’s hand.}

“It’ll be fine. I’ll be fine. You don’t have to worry about me, Goldie.”

{Jude picks up Goldie and holds him in his embrace. It was too late for Goldie, his wounds were too severe. I was going to ask Fifi to heal the three of them but Mei 1 had stopped me. It seems like even Fifi couldn’t save the three of them.}

{Even though his life was ending, Goldie continues to rub his body against Jude’s. The two of them were having a conversation of their own that I couldn’t understand but I could feel that Goldie was trying to convey his farewells to Jude.}

“I’ll be fine, Goldie. Thank you for being with me through our short journey. I’ll never forget you.”

{Jude smiles and holds his tears back for Goldie. He was trying his best to tell Goldie that he would be fine. Jude holds on tightly to Goldie but eventually, his body fades away just like Mary’s. Once Goldie was gone, the dam holding Jude’s tears back breaks.}

{The tears were gushing out and his wails echo out as he clenches his chest. Was this the same Jude I know? The Jude I remember was strong and powerful. He fought that prison monster all by himself, he charged into a pack of zombies without hesitation, and he fought against a terrifying demon. This Jude didn’t have an ounce of strength within his body.}

{I didn’t understand a single thing about Jude. He wasn’t some powerful being who could solve everything if he tried too. When did I start thinking like this? Was it when I learned that he was a hero? Heroes are supposed to be a hero of justices who can overcome anything without showing any signs of weakness. Jude wasn’t an invincible hero, he’s just a normal person who feels sadness and pain just like anyone else.}

“Let it all out, Jude.”

{I hug him tight and I could feel my shirt become wet. This body within my arms was so weak and frail. If I wanted to, I could crush him.}

{He’s so weak but yet so strong. Thinking back, he’s always been the one trying to protect everyone since the first time we met inside of the prison. Even though that prison monster was vastly stronger than him, he still charged straight in to save Tod without any hesitation. When Tod’s legs were sliced off, I thought Jude was heartless for immediately giving up on him but now I can see that I was wrong. He must have felt heartbroken when he saw Tod’s body go lifeless but he decided to focus on protecting me instead.}

{How could I forget what happened after we escaped. Jude was crying just like how he was crying now. He’s never been a heartless person, he’s always been a sensitive and emotional person.}

{Even during the zombie apocalypse, his goal was always to protect us. He had even distracted hundreds of zombies just to save Fifi and I. When Chad and his group had injured me, he had been enraged because he couldn’t protect me. Just earlier, he was desperately running towards the car so Mary could say her farewells to Professor Jane. He was trying to protect her smile until the very end.}

{He’s not some superhero who can easily save everyone with a smile on his face, he’s a regular person who struggles to protect everyone he cares for.}

5