Chapter 81: Breaking Through the Fog(Part 7)
81 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“What should we do now?”

“There are still 5 minutes left until Michelle’s ability ends but the problem is what to do after that. Even if the trees are gone, we still need to find a way to deal with Gorango.”

“Shush, be quiet you two.”

Fifi silences us and we look through the leaves to see Gorango rampaging. He was cutting down branch after branch in search of us. I guess us injuring him really made him mad. Mako’s ax was still sticking out of the side of his body. Luckily his attention was on us so Kayla, Gareth, Michelle, and Cammy should be safe. All they have to do is watch out for falling branches.

“He’s coming.”

I jump out of the leaves as Gorango crashes into the tree. Fifi sends me flying while Mako uses wind magic to grab the leaves around us. Like a tornado, they spin around concealing us within. I can feel Gorango’s breath as he passes right above us. His deep and guttural pants shake me to the core as we were an inch away from death. The situation would have been dangerous if his attack was just a little lower.

He spins his body and the leaves scatter everywhere. Anger and confusion flash through his face as he wasn’t able to find us. Naturally, we weren’t going to sit still and wait for our death. I hold onto Mako tightly as I begin to descend down the branches. If we don’t get to the ground within 5 minutes then we are going to fall to our doom. 

Mako was starting to run low on mana and with Fifi only, it would be risky for only her to support our weight with wind magic. The lower we get, the safer we’ll be when Michelle’s magic runs out. Hopefully, Gorango is occupied up there and falls to his death when the trees disappear. Like we were waiting for, the trees start to phase in and out of existence before completely disappearing. Gorango was 40 feet above us while the ground was about 50 feet below us.

The tree we had been on was one of the taller ones so we weren’t able to get as far down as I wanted. The only good thing about this situation is that there’s a distance between us and Gorango. Looking at the ground, I can see that the rest of the members had gathered and were quickly trying to come up with countermeasures for Gorango. Originally there were 18 of us but now there’s only 10 of us plus Fifi.

“He’s catching up, Jude!”

“What!?” 

Taking a glance back, Gorango was closer than he was earlier, he was only about 30 feet away from us. I couldn’t understand the situation but looking closer, there was something different about his armor. On his hips and shoulders, the black armor was slightly open with red energy blasting out of them.

“Thrusters! What are you, a mecha!?”

Mako complains as I urge Fifi to use wind magic to increase our speed. Gorango wasn’t able to catch up anymore but there were only 30 feet left until we reach the ground. There’s only a few seconds left before impact but that’s when I hear Kayla’s voice in my head. It was the ability of one of her items. 

“We’ve set up a trap for the dino. There’s a small gap in the southeast so make sure to land there.”

The ground was covered in Cammy’s white goo but at the location, Kayla pointed out, there wasn’t any. I relay to Fifi the instructions and she flies us towards the gap. Passing through the gap, there was only dirt so I brace myself, but it was soft like a pillow. A rope wraps around my leg as I grab Fifi and we’re pulled out of the trap area. 

“Good job distracting the dino. Now we wait and see if it’ll survive the trap.”

Kayla helps us up and Gorango crashes into the trap. The white goo traps him on the ground and for extra insurance, roots also hold him. A barrier is erected around Gorango and an explosion goes off. The transparent barrier is engulfed in flames as Gorango screams in agony, but this wasn’t the end. While drenched in sweat, a 20 feet long sword floats above Yun. The veins on his head and neck look ready to burst as he swings the sword down.

Flames burst out as the sword easily cuts through the barrier. The metal sword grates against the metal armor as the ground cracks because of the pressure. A large carter was left in the ground as the sword disappears. The combination attack was incredible and was something that can only be done with a group that knows each other’s abilities thoroughly.

“I failed? Even when I used all my strength?”

“Get ready to engage! The dino’s still alive.”

The dust settles and Gorango’s condition was revealed. His black armor turned red from the heat and the lizardman king’s ax had melted onto his body. Even though Yun’s sword wasn’t able to kill Gorango, it destroyed the armor on Gorango’s back. It was completely exposed but before we could take advantage of it, mana gathers around Gorango. Air is sucked into his thrusters and the red hot armor begins to cool down.

“Don’t let him recover!”

Kayla and I charge in as Gareth shoots his arrows at Gorango’s eyes. Normally Goranog would block the projectiles with his hands but he only slightly moves his head so they hit the armor. Gorango was letting off a fierce aura but I can tell that his movements were sluggish. That trap dealt a lot more damage than I thought, and Gorango was trying to hide it. 

There was only enough blood for one blood disc but it was enough to inconvenience Gorango. He swings his tail to try and destroy it, but his movements were too slow. Cuts slowly appear on his back and one blood disc soon turns into three. Seeing that there are no other options, Gorango charges at us. In this sort of situation, Gorou would block his attack for us but he isn’t here right now.

Instead, Kayla stands in front of us as a transparent white armor is donned over her uniform. Her spear glows intensely as a white wave of energy pushes Gorango back. The black armor that has cooled down suddenly flares red again as Kayla continues to attack. I can see why members of Unit I were afraid of her taking all the glory in a fight. Not only is she a good leader, but she can also stand toe to toe with a monster like Gorango. 

“We can’t keep fighting like this, Kayla.”

“I know, we’re not doing any damage.”

Even if we’re keeping him at bay, Gorango recovers faster than our allies can. Only Kayla, Gareth, Fifi, and I are currently fighting because the others were recovering from overusing their abilities. At this rate, we’re going to run out of steam before we kill Gorango.

“Earth Swamp.”

Gorango sinks into the ground but quickly jumps out of it with his powerful legs. He pounces towards me with his claws but a familiar figure stands in front of me and blocks the attack.

“Gorou!” 

“Damn, he’s strong. Gul’sa Mun!”

Gorou was blocking the attack with Gul’sa Quan’s greatsword but I can tell that he was struggling. Gorango was going to smash us with his other hand but with Gorou’s call, Gorango was sent flying away. The weapon that sent him flying away was a staff and the wielder was the lizardman from the swamp. Gorou grabs me and retreats as the lizardman named Gul’sa Mun keeps Gorango busy.

“What’s going on, Jude?”

I quickly explain the situation to Jill and Gorou as the others joined us. With Gorou, Jill, and Gul’sa Mun’s help, the situation was turning in our favor. Gul’sa Mun was able to dodge Gorango’s attack and deflect them, but I can tell that he’s being overpowered in terms of strength. We only have a little time to discuss our plans.

“What’s his weakness, Kayla?”

“If I’m correct, the ax stuck in his body should be his weakness. If we can pull it out and concentrate our attack then the dino should easily fall.”

“Alright, I’ll do it.”

Gorou was proposing to pull out the ax but Mako immediately stops him and volunteers herself. I was worried that she was still exhausted but she assures me that she can do it. I couldn’t say anything else to persuade her so I’ll believe in her. Kayla, Gorou, and I join Gul’sa Mun in distracting Gorango.

“Awaken, Monsoo!”

“Hm, there’s a similar being. No, it’s different.”

Kurulu was talking to herself as Gorou’s weapon suddenly glows blue. It grows stronger and I can feel the immense strength inside of the greatsword. Gorou swings the sword and this was the first time Gorango has ever retreated from an attack. He tries to jump out of the way but a large hand made of earth grabs him by the tail and refuses to let go.

Left with no other choice, he uses one of his hands to try and fight back against the force. All the armor from his body was gathered on the one hand. The greatsword swings down and a wave of energy cuts through the ground with ease. 

“Damn, I missed!”

The attack had only cut off one of the claws and hadn’t done any other damage. Gorango’s other hand was just about to rip into Gorou’s body but Gul’sa Mun redirects the attack into the ground. Gorou backs up as Kayla and I cover him. Both of us thrust our weapons into Gorango’s eyes but he dodges out of our attack. 

Gorango slams his arms into the ground and mud splashes everywhere. We got out of the way of his attack and Gorango was finally given time to rest. His breathing was rough and cracks were starting to appear from his black armor. He was trying to jump away again but Fifi and Jill weren’t going to let him.

“Swallow him whole, Mud Wave.”

“Winds of the Northern Fairies, lend me your aid and freeze my enemy!”

The mud rises from the ground and follows Gorango through the air. It swallows half of his body before a freezing wind passes by and freezes the mud along with Gorango. There wasn’t any movement from him but I know he’s still alive. Mako runs on the frozen mud before standing right in front of Gorango. The mana in her body swells up as she places her hand on the deformed handle of the ax. 

She pulls with all her strength and the sound of flesh being ripped apart is clearly heard. Kayla, Gorou, and I were right behind her as blood sprays out of Gorango’s wound. Kurulu rejoices as the blood gathers around the cursed spear. With one final attack, all four of us continuously attack Gorango’s injury. The greatsword carves into his body and widens the wound, the ax tears through the muscles, the lance breaks through the bones, and the spear reaches his heart. Gorango’s death was imminent.

“GRRRAAAHHHH!!!!!”

A light explodes from Gorango’s body as the four of us are sent flying away. Fifi’s wind magic lessens the impact as we crash into the ground. The sound of ice shattering quickly follows Gorango’s roar.

“Did we fail?”

“Fuck, we were so close!”

Looking at Gorango, he was covered in a yellow light that quickly settles down. Now that we can see him, all of his injuries were gone and the black armor fully covered his body again. None of us could believe the ridiculous situation. We did everything in our power to kill him but all our efforts were useless. All of his injuries were healed while most of us were exhausted from the fight.

“I’ll buy us some time. Take everyone and go hide inside of the dungeon.”

“Jude!”

Mako, Jill, and Gorou complain, but I’m sure Gareth and Kayla understand the situation. Killing Gorango is no longer an option, the only way to survive is to hide within the dungeon’s entrance until everything dies down. There needs to be someone to hold Gorango back so the others can retreat, and I’m the only one suitable for this position.

Unlike me, the others still have someone who’ll miss them if they’re gone from this world. If Gorou dies then his family would miss him and Jill would definitely be heartbroken. He didn’t even have the chance to confess his feelings for her so I won’t let him sacrifice his life. Even though Jill has lost her family, her desire to save others is admirable. If she lives a long life, I’m sure she’ll save more people than I ever can.

Gareth might try to hide it, but I can see that he loves Kayla from the bottom of his heart. Kayla loves him just as much so I can’t let either of them sacrifice themself. I don’t know much about Cammy but I want her to see her friend wake up from her slumber. The amount of love and care she shows for her friend is the same as how I see the others in Unit K. It would be a shame if they are never able to reunite so I won’t let her die. 

I’m even more unfamiliar with the other members of Unit I but I appreciate their help. Without their assistance, forcing Gorango to the brink of death would have been harder so I have to at least repay them for that. And they aren’t strong enough to restrain Gorango long enough for the others to retreat.

Letting Mako or Fifi sacrifice themself is out of the question. These two have become so important in my life that I don’t know what I would do If they’re gone. Just imagining it breaks my heart. If the option is them dying and I live, or I die and they live, out of 100 times, I’ll always choose to die for them.

“Fifi. Please take care of them.”

“Jude…”

I’ve already embraced myself for death as I stare at Gorango. His black armor turns to gold as he stands on top of the frozen mud pillar. Even though the aura around him was twice as strong as it was earlier, I wasn’t afraid. All of my fear of Gorango disappears as strength fills my entire body.

“I’m sorry, Kurulu. It looks like I might not be able to fulfill my promise.”

“It’s fine. We’ve only known each other for a short time but I’ll engrave your name in my mind, Jude Craven.”

“Jude, don’t you dare die, you still haven’t beaten me in a spar yet!! I’ll let you do anything to me if you win, even inappropriate things. You better survive!”

Mako was trying to encourage me through her tears and it works. Just the thought of being able to sleep with her sends energy throughout my body. I’ll defeat Gorango and enjoy the warmth of Mako’s body again.

Gorango’s thrusters open up and he jumps into the sky. I brace myself for the incoming fight but Gorango wasn’t heading for me. Gold bursts of energy blast out of his thrusters as he flies through the air. He weaves in a snake-like pattern like he is trying to avoid something. Not even a second later, beams of light fall from the sky.

The energy they were letting off was similar to the gold aura around Gorango. There were at least 10 beams of light but Gorango easily dodges all of them. Sometimes he would go forward, back, or even to the sides to dodge the beams. It was like he was use to dealing with these attacks. Gorango disappears as soon as he goes through the fog and the beams were no longer visible.

“Hahahaha!!”

I couldn’t help but laugh at the situation. I was ready to stake my life against Gorango but he ran away before we could even fight. It was likely that I was going to die if we fought so I couldn’t contain the joy of being alive. 

“”JUDE!!!””

Fifi crashes into my head while Mako tackles me to the ground. Both of them were crying as I try consoling them. The others gather around and I can see that Jill was crying just like Mako and Fifi. Gorou was openly crying while Gareth’s head was tilted upwards as he tries not to cry.

“Heh, this is the first time I’ve seen you cry, Gorou.”

“Who wouldn’t cry when their friend is about to die!? A-and these are manly tears!”

1