Vol.12 Ch.25: Mike’s Offense
81 1 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Fine, I’ll do it myself. Mike decided to open the attack by himself. But first, he had to drive the ball beyond the three-pointer line. It was a hassle but it was better than passing the ball to one of his useless teammates.

Larry and James are messing up too much right now. Mike scoffed. The boys were probably still shaken by Lars’s unexpected performance. They weren’t playing their best.

Then again, could anybody blame them? The score was already a whopping 0-6 and it was against these “scrubby” opponents. This turn of events was bound to faze Larry and James.

Worst of all, they haven’t scored a single goal yet. That was the most devastating fact. It created the false impression that Mike’s team couldn’t do shit against these guys.

Therefore, he had to take matters into his own two hands and get something started. He’ll score the first goal and instill some confidence in these weak-willed doofuses. That’ll get the game rolling for real. From there, they’ll make a comeback in no time.

And so, instead of opening the offense with a pass, Mike sprinted toward the outskirts while driving the ball. The enemy was busy keeping tabs on his teammates, so he gonna catch them off-guard with this stunt!

Alas, the enemy was quick to adapt. A wild beast rushed right at Mike, fully intending to steal the ball. It was Lars!

“Damn.” Mike clicked his tongue. The enemy captured him before he even crossed the three-pointer line. Lars was blocking his path like an impassable wall.

The guy sure knows how to apply pressure, I’ll give him that. Mike tensed up a little. The enemy in front of him was like a wild beast with superior strength, ready to overwhelm Mike at any moment.

Mike was confident in his 1v1 skills, he had plenty of experience destroying weaklings. And, after tackling many opponents of different levels, Mike developed sharp instincts on the matter.

That’s why he could tell beyond a shadow of a doubt: Lars was strong. That oppressive defensive stance left no openings. Mike wouldn’t be able to break through so easily, if at all.

You gotta be shitting me. Mike ranted internally. Not only he shoots 3-pointers from literally anywhere on the court, but he’s also strong on the defense? That’s freakin’ cheating.

Nevertheless, Mike had to confront this challenge head-on. Nothing will get started until his team scores at least one goal. And, as the leader in charge of this gang, Mike had to be the one to pull them forward.

“C’mon!” Mike roared. “Stop me if you can!”

“You’re on!” Lars grinned in response, confident that he’ll snatch the ball without any trouble.

Try to keep up with me if you can! Mike dribbled the ball from side to side at lightning speed. WHAM. WHAM. WHAM. The ball was on one side, then immediately on the other.

Unfortunately, as cool as it looked, this wasn’t the most practical of techs. The real purpose was to apply pressure on the defender, to make them second-guess themselves as they were trying to read this speedy pattern. And, while the defender was distracted, Mike will break through!

But, the trick didn’t work as intended against Lars. The guy was like an overexcited dog who chased the ball from side to side without rest. It seemed he had no trouble following the quick movements with his eyes and responding to them in a timely manner.

Every time Mike considered breaking through the right flank, the right flank was blocked. Likewise, when he considered breaking through the left side, the left side was blocked.

Is he reading me like a book? Mike wondered. No, I don’t think he’s that smart. It’s his nerdy pal who got a head on his shoulders. On the other hand, Lars looks like a regular doofus to me. But, if he’s not predicting my movements, then does that mean he...

It was pure reaction speed. Lars wasn’t thinking too deeply about what Mike was trying to achieve. This guy was simply reacting to the stimuli in front of him, like a wild beast with sharpened instinct.

I’ve met some players like that before. Mike frowned. Can’t say I like them. It always feels like they’re showing off their reaction speed on the court. I can’t stand that shit.

This was a problem. But, it wasn’t all bad. While it was definitely difficult to drive the ball past players like this via sheer speed, it was usually easier to trick them with a good feint.

Players who relied on their beastly instinct often jumped at the first opportunity they saw. That was an impressive ability under most circumstances, but sometimes it led to their downfall.

“Hey, Larry!” Mike grabbed the ball with both hands and turned in Larry’s direction. “Catch!”

“Not gonna happen, yo!” Lars jumped to block the pass route. The reaction was instantaneous. If Mike really tried to pass the ball right now, Lars would’ve certainly blocked it. But...

“You fell for it, sucker!” Mike sneered. He turned around and drove the ball toward the exit. While Lars was still restoring his form after performing the “block”, Mike successfully made it past the three-pointer line!

Finally, their offense became legal. This is where things will start going their way! Mike will definitely score a goal here and get things rolling. But, that was easier said than done.

Tch, already here? Mike clicked his tongue. When he turned around to face the basket, the pesky defender was already there, blocking all lines of attack.

Even if I throw him off, he rebounds right away. Hate players like that. Well then, guess I’ll try the same trick again.

“Hey, Larry!” Mike called out and turned in Larry’s direction. “This time for sure! Catch!”

Alas, this time, Lars didn’t budge. He kept his defense firmly rooted.

“What’s wrong?” Lars smiled meaningfully. “You ain't passing?”

“Tch.” Mike lowered the ball and continued dribbling.

Well, that was to be expected. Lars seemed like a dumb guy, but he wasn’t dumb enough to fall for the same trick twice in a row. With all said and done, he clearly had some experience in basketball. It won’t be that easy to crack this one.

Do I try to break through this time? Mike wondered. It’ll be bad if he grabs the ball. Not only they’ll score again, but it’ll also make me look bad. Larry and James will lose all motivation if they see me lose a 1v1. I can’t give these lazy bums an excuse to throw the game.

Considering all that, it was best to pass the ball to somebody else and pray they won’t mess things up again.

Who do I pass to? Mike checked both sides.

On the right, Ben was marking Larry. Of course, Ben being Ben, that fat Meatball wasn’t much of a threat. Still, he stuck pretty closely to his mark and that seemed to irritate Larry. Despite being a fatass, there were a few aspects of basketball in which Ben didn’t completely suck. Marking targets was one of them.

Then, what about the other side? That’s where that nerdy guy was supposed to be marking James.

Pft. What’s with that marking? Mike sneered. It was questionable whether one could even call that “marking” at all.

Yuel positioned himself a few good steps away from James. It seemed he was more concerned about not letting James approach the three-pointer line than intercepting passes. By standing all the way over there, it’s like he was telling his enemies that passing to James was free real estate.

Amateur. Mike made his mind. “Hey, Larry! The third time is the charm! Catch again!”

Mike shouted that, but he sent the ball flying in the opposite direction - toward James!

“Oh!” Lars thought this one was a feint as well so he didn’t react in time. He stretched his arm toward the ball but failed to even graze it.

“James!” Mike already started running toward the basket. “Get the ball to me right away! Don’t even try to dribble, you hear me!?”

“Aye aye, cap!” James casually jogged to catch the pass. However, right before the ball landed in his hands, something got in the way. “You again!?”

Yuel successfully intercepted the pass.

“Wha the-!?” Mike exclaimed. What the fuck!? I know I’m not a pro at passing, but I’m pretty damn sure I sent this one straight at James! How did that guy get there in time to intercept!?

It didn’t make any sense. The whole reason Mike chose to pass to James was because of how loose the marking was. This was supposed to be an easy pass that had zero chances of being intercepted!

And yet, Yuel intercepted it. How? Actually, it was elementary.

I’m glad you passed over here. Yuel nodded to himself in satisfaction. It was bait all along. He positioned himself far enough from James to make the marking seem loose.

Once Mike glanced in their direction, this misleading picture successfully planted itself in his head. It gave birth to the idea of passing the ball to James. That’s when Yuel started moving toward intercepting the ball.

After Mike confirmed that James was free, he spent a couple more seconds dribbling in place and feinting a pass in Larry’s direction. That brief window of time was more than enough for Yuel to mark James properly and intercept the pass.

“Shit!” Mike hit the brakes and ran back to mark Lars. That bastard was the most dangerous shooter on the enemy team so the ball wasn’t allowed to reach him, no matter what. “Hey James, make sure you grab that ball! We can’t lose this offense!”

“On it!” James leaped at Yuel. I’m tired of your shit, dude! Gimme the damn ball!

Fortunately, his target was wide open. Yuel grabbed the ball with both hands and spent time examining the court, probably checking whether he’ll be able to get a pass across. As such, he wasn’t paying any attention to James at all. The ball was completely defenseless!

Mine! James channeled all his frustration into his muscles and dashed forward. I gonna smack the ball right out of this nerd’s hands!

Here it comes. Yuel could tell by the aggressive footsteps. He was anticipating this kind of aggression.

But, if that’s the case, why didn’t he bother driving the ball away to safety? Why was he holding it out in the open, inviting the enemy to strike?

I’m not skilled enough for that. Yuel knew that better than anybody. If I try to compete against any of them with standard basketball moves, they’ll eat me alive.

As such, trickery was the only tool he had to combat these physically superior opponents. Therefore, instead of challenging the aggressor, it was best to turn their aggression against themselves!

Just before the enemy’s attack arrived, Yuel loosened his grip on the ball. He wasn’t going to put up on any resistance whatsoever.

Mine! Mine! James roared internally as he swung his arm like a whip. I’m tired of your bullshit, man! I’ll be taking this ball!

James thrust his hand with all his strength, fully intent to overpower the enemy’s grip. BAM! He slammed the ball real hard!

In fact, he might’ve struck the ball a little TOO hard. It felt like there was no resistance whatsoever. None at all. Nada.

The ball crashed into the floor, then jumped right back up... toward James’ face!

“GAH!” The ball rammed into his face like a truck! The impact almost knocked him off his feet. The world around him became a blur.

Thank you for your cooperation. Yuel grabbed the dangerous culprit that just finished assaulting a fellow human. The ball carried out its assassination mission flawlessly, even better than Yuel expected.

It was quite the assault. James was staggering for a while with tears in his eyes. “Shit! This hurts, dammit!”

“Haha!” Larry laughed in the distance. “The heck are you doing?”

“Stop messing around,” Mike criticized. “Get the ball back!”

“IT HURTS THO!” James massaged his reddish nose. He was in no condition to pursue Yuel at the moment.

It was a gamble but it turned out well. Yuel nodded to himself and started dribbling the ball toward the three-pointer line.

Now, that his mark disappeared, he was free to do whatever he wanted. In fact, he could dash straight toward the basket and score a goal! At least, that’s the possibility his enemies should be afraid of right now.

“Damn!” Mike charged at Yuel like a mad bull. Do I have to do everything myself here!? You’re not getting this shot!

Don’t worry. Yuel turned around and lifted the ball. I wasn’t planning to shoot in the first place.

“Wha-!?” Mike almost stumbled in the middle of the dash. What the hell is he...!?

Instead of aiming at the basket, Yuel turned around and threw the ball in Mike’s general direction. But, of course, his target wasn’t Mike. No, it was the unmarked player Mike left behind!

“Shit!” Mike hit the brakes and turned around but it was too late. The pass snuck by him and reached its destination beyond the three-pointer line.

In truth, the ball didn’t actually reach the spot Yuel was aiming for. His poor coordination struck again as usual.

Nonetheless, the end result was the same.  Yet again, the ball was in Lars’s possession and he was beyond the three-pointer line.

No, you don’t! Mike charged at the distant opponent even though he already knew what’ll happen. It was far too late. Lars has already assumed a shooting stance.

WHISH! The ball flew beautifully through the air and pierced right through the center of the basket. 

“Two points!” Vincent announced. The score was now 8-0.

You gotta be shitting me. Mike gritted his teeth. His clenched fists trembled.

He and Co. were part of the basketball club, yet these amateurs were mopping the floor with them! How was that even possible!? How could some nerds be so good!?

No, that’s not the right question. Mike realized something once he sorted out his thoughts. I’m starting to think it’s only this doofus who can play. So far, he’s the only one scoring shit.

The score was a crushing 8-0 but it was actually caused by only 4 shots. And, all of them were scored by none other than Lars. Ben didn’t get any opportunities to do shit, and as for Yuel...

He got the ball a few times. Mike thought. But, he never shoots. He only passes. Even this time, he was right under the basket, but he opted to pass.

It was odd. Yuel was completely unmarked back then thanks to James making a fool out of himself. The guy got so close to the basket, to a distance from which any scrub could easily score. That’s the reason Mike disregarded everything and charged at Yuel like a mad dog, believing the guy will shoot for sure.

And yet, Yuel opted to pass. Why? Just because he wanted to score 2 points? That seemed like an unnecessary risk.

When you have a great opportunity to score, you gotta score. You shouldn’t be thinking about stuff like scoring three-pointers, not in situations like this.

Then, why did Yuel pass the ball to Lars back there? He seemed like a guy with a head on his shoulder, so that was surely a calculated move like the rest of his plays.

Hmph. Let’s think about it the other way around. Mike reasoned. Maybe he COULDN’T shoot from there. And, if my guess is right...

Mike analyzed Yuel from head to toe. A skinny guy who didn’t look athletic in the slightest, yet fooled everybody into thinking he could play the game.

So, that’s how it is.

With that realization, the tides of this match were about to turn in a big way...

Don't forget to vote for the chapter and review the story!

3