SS – Those Days
389 18 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

 

Fujima Yui's Perspective

“I’ll see you later, Ha-chan!”

“Bye, Yuipi!”

I waved my friend off as she made her way back home. She wasn’t any taller than she used to be when we were in primary school together. It was as if she didn’t age while everyone else around me did. 

“…Ha-chan.”

The nostalgia brought me back to the day when we first met. Ha-chan was a new student. She had been transferring around to different schools for reasons I wasn’t sure of, and she just happened to land at our school next. Ha-chan still had her super long hair and was as coy as a flower. Her name being Hana, was fitting for her too. There she stood in our school uniform. She… made it look like a treasure in comparison to everyone else in our class.

"Hello, my name is Koda Hana…."

The ice queen said as she looked away from us. To me, she sounded a bit depressed. That was expected because this was our last year in primary and she was new to this school. By this point, any friends she made in her previous schools would have been separated from her as she graduated from middle school alone. 

“Is that all you have to say, Koda-san?”

Our sensei asked. With a slight nod, Koda-san looked away. There was no doubt about it then… she was super depressed.

This new Koda-san felt like someone who just wanted to get the day done with. I decided not to speak with her and huddled back around my small group of four. It was me, Hino-san, Sakura-chan, and Suzu-chan. We’ve known each other for around 2 years by that point. I found myself hiding behind Sakura-chan in most cases because she was the… cool one of the group. I… guess I looked up to Sakura-chan.

“Hey, what do you guys think about that new girl, you know, Koda-san?”

Sakura-chan asked as she sipped her strawberry milk. We were in the middle of lunch when the gossip started. Sora-chan just shrugged as she turned back to her running partner, Suzu-chan.

“She looks like a nice girl!”

Suzu-chan cried as she clapped her hands. However, Suzu-chan was the type who'd get along with anyone… even if they didn't like her. Things like this coming from her weren't as valuable, if I had to be honest. 

“She seems a bit of a downer if I had to be honest.”

Sora-chan shrugged.

“Downer?” 

I asked. My nickname in the group was “Gloomy Yui.” So, calling her a downer strangely connected with me.

“Eh, I didn’t mean anything by it, Yui-chan. I was just saying… she seems like she doesn’t want to be here. Didn’t put on a good first impression for me...”

Sora-chan continued eating. After a moment, she seemed to have regretted her words as she turned back to me. 

“Was that a bit too harsh, Yui-chan?”

I shook my head. I agreed with her… that Koda-san felt like someone who would just bring my mood down if I associated with her. But unlike us, Sakura-chan finished her milk and turned back to the fiery-haired girl.

“I think she might need a few friends, Sora-chan. Just shoving her to the side is a bit mean, doncha think?”

Suddenly, Sakura-chan, our fearless leader, stood up.

“Yui-chan, let’s go!”

Abruptly, I followed Sakura-chan as we made our way through the cafeteria. Nobody seemed to be around the flower because she wasn’t trying to socialize with anyone. When we approached, Koda-san was halfway through her meal and looking at her phone. The way she picked at it, I doubt she was going to finish it anytime soon either. 

“Hey, you!”

d7c7e97b-01dd-4680-8da4-41d595736d7e_charastudio-2021-11-05-11-03-56-render.png

6da618fb-5868-463e-bb43-83a8fb6b3b01_charastudio-2021-11-05-11-03-32-render.png

60ab2413-cb73-46ae-bbc5-260bdc7f6bdb_charastudio-2021-11-05-11-03-45-render.png

 

Sakura-chan screamed joyfully as she put her hands on her hip. Seemingly unfazed, the purple-haired beauty lowered her gaze.

“What… are you a bully or something?”

The new flower barked, pushing back Sakura-chan with her harsh words. My leader put her hands up and toned her posture down.

“Eh? I’m not a bully!”

The Koda-san girl shrugged as she continued to pick at her food.

"Then, if you're not a bully… just leave me alone…."

She seemed to be annoyed and wanted nothing more than just to get rid of us. But Sakura-chan, our fearless leader, pushed out her chest and tried at it again.

“Do you want to join my group of friends? I think you’re cute, and we cute girls need to stick together… Ah… Koda-san!”

The truth came out. All Sakura-chan wanted was to have another magnet who could help her get the guys. I found it funny. It seemed that she was like this. But before Koda-san could answer, her phone lit up. It's been sitting on the table the entire time, and I just glanced over and took a look at it. To my surprise… a popular anime was her phone background.

“Is that… Rainbow Rangers?!”

 

It was a popular show but only in the circle of the people who enjoy anime. It was then that I thought that I met… my soulmate in terms of anime lovers. 

“You watch this show too?”

Koda-san asked with a shine in her eyes. I could tell that Sakura-chan had no idea what we were talking about but instead of showing that, she jumped in front of me and yelled at the top of her lungs. 

“I watch Rainbow people too!”

Even though she didn’t, I could see her panic as she tried her best to be a part of the conversation.

“You both watch it?” 

She pondered for a bit, then nodded.

“Ah… would you mind if I have lunch with your group for a little bit? I think it would be fun… ah… talking about Rainbow Rangers.”

She was firm and like a soldier at times, but it seems that Hana-chan might have been… lonely... 

Silently, her want for friends might have forced her to stay in a corner. Ha-chan might have been begging for someone to acknowledge her.

As time went on, Ha-chan realized that Sakura-chan wasn’t into manga and anime like us. But that didn’t make them dislike one another. Actually, Sakura-chan liked Hana-chan a lot... Maybe even more than every other girl in the group. She would ask her if certain cosmetics looked good on her and would almost always take what Hana-chan liked most. 

Even though she was mean and bossy at times, she would see Hana-chan as her number two. When that fight happened at the end of the year, I'm sure she hated herself for not apologizing.

A lot was going on in Sakura-san’s life…. And I believe she took out her anger on Ha-chan. I’m sure she didn’t mean what she said in the end...

I remember her blaming Suzu-chan and me for the group not being as fun. However, I don’t think that was true…

It was simple…

She regretted what she said to Ha-chan… but she couldn’t bring herself to find her and talk it out. With her constant pride and attitude, the last thing she could ever do was say that she was wrong…

Especially when it came to Ha-chan… someone she did value the opinion of.

My mind came back to the present as I walked back to my room. I touched my lip and silently hoped for a miracle…

“Maybe one day…."

Maybe one day we can meet again, and Ha-chan and Sakura-san could make up.

That would surely bring me back to those days…

The days when our group was whole.

 

14