5. Hector – Aftermath
170 2 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I thought about it long and hard.

So what, if my dreams won't come true? It's not enough to trade for my own life and well-being.

There's no guarantee that my adventures will be as exciting as the stories. It might be laden with so much hardship, unlike my farming life.

They were made to entertain, not to portray realism. It's not like everyone who wrote them were adventurers or bards. No matter what, many parts will be exaggerated or it'd be boring as hell.

While it's hard to let go--it's okay to not be the main character.

==

One day, the Chief called for me.

"I received a letter from your real parents."

"You're my one and only father. I have no business with someone who abandoned me since birth."

"At least, read their message."

To think, I was the son of a criminal.

By the time this letter reached me, he would've been executed.

...but I was born from the woman he loved. She had a weak body; her last wish was to give birth to a healthy child.

There I was, but she's no more.

"She's a gentle, and kind woman. I think you'll take over her. For her sake, I don't want you to walk my path."

"I'm not ashamed of my evils. I'm just trying to survive my own way, in a world that doesn't give me a chance.

My life is shitty as hell. I'm sure you don't want to hear it."

"Did you live a good life? Let me tell you one thing:

Fuck you, lucky bastard.

I'll be waiting for you in hell, and I'm sure you don't want to meet me."

In the letter, he also marked my mother's grave.

"Be sure to visit at least once--she died because of you."

To my surprise, it wasn't far from the village.

==

Behind me was the Chief, his wife, and a lot of villagers.

Even Milly and Zach were present.

We cleaned up the weeds around my mother's grave and planted some flowers.

I closed my eyes and prayed in my heart.

'Mother, thanks for bringing me to this world.

I lived a good life, with people who cared for me.

I'm just afraid, that people with grudges to my father will come after me, and hurt the ones I care about.

I don't know what to do.'

Perhaps, it's due to my prayers, that the village was peaceful as ever.

...but I wasn't going to slack on my training.

Despite not being able to use magic, I will become stronger, to protect the ones I care about.

Several days later, the Sword Monument started to glow.

I was plowing the field as usual, when the legendary sword dislodged itself from the stone; floating in front of me.

"Due to your spirit, I have awakened. I will join you to protect this place!"

"Err...can you wait until I finish working?"

While nothing much had changed, I made a new friend who shared my passion.

...and that's the best thing I could ask for, even if it's a legendary sword.

Wait, a legendary sword?

I think, this is one of the most satisfying wrap-ups I've ever written.

I just realize, to make something good, it's important to treat my characters like real people, not entities that will just do whatever I ask.

5