6. The Motivational Hero
285 4 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A long time ago, there was a young man. His name was Kendrick.

He was a lowly commoner boy--had the fortune of being able to read and write.

While other kids love to play with friends, he would coop himself in the library, and read all the stories that caught his interest.

In a world where your birth and talent seem to dictate your fate, Kendrick loves the stories where what matters most, was the heart.

Kendrick became a librarian when he grew up. While it's not much, his family was proud.

The youth often had vivid dreams, inspired by his favorite stories—where one won through wit and heart, not power and ferocity.

Those dreams made him refreshed when he woke up; he always wrote it the best he could.

One day, he dreamt of a sword. He was fully conscious of what's happening. Unlike the stories, it wasn't stuck at a stone pedestal; it was lodged in his heart, but there was no pain or wounds.

Still, it bothered him, so he tried his hardest to pull it out.

...and it still didn't budge.

He didn't realize how much time had passed before he slumped down in defeat.

A voice echoed in his mind:

"How ironic. You, who admire wit and heart, eventually resort to force."

"I'm not a Hero. However I act, is none of your business. Please get out of my heart."

"Either you become strong enough to brandish it, or give up on living."

"Who are you, really?"

"Depends on whether you call me."

A sword.

It's a weapon; a tool; something that helped to achieve an objective or wish.

Kendrick thought about his greatest desire.

It wasn't something grand like becoming a hero or king.

He wished peace and happiness for himself, his family, and the people he cared about.

No matter whence may come, it will be alright.

What would help the most, to achieve peace and happiness for everyone?

'It all begins with a thought...no, motivation.

With enough motivation, you will do something. It is the driving force behind a change, no matter how minute it is.

...and there's the most important part.'

"Either you become strong enough to brandish it, or give up on living."'

'With no motivation at all, can you truly live?

You're still living, as long as you still breathe.

Also, martial arts involve the use of breathing techniques. The better you're at it, the stronger you will become.'

Light flashed in Kendrick's eyes, and that's when he finally decided:

"Sword, you are my BREATH! I think, for the world to know peace and happiness, they just have to learn how to breathe properly."

That was the beginning of Kendrick's legend.

"I don't think that's what I expect, but I'll take it."

The sword finally let a warm glow and dispersed to light particles—all flowing into his nose.

Since my chapters are pretty short, it'd be hard to write 40k words before the deadline.

I don't like to pad my word count either.

Either way, I'm glad I could write this story.

6