9. Self-Insert
152 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I actually had enough of stories.

The reason I wrote in the first place, isn't because I like reading or writing.

If I wrote myself into the story, and imagine deeply to it--I thought my dreams will come true.

I had no guts to put the effort in real life.

I don't want to lose my comfortable living for something that might not come true.
'
...but in stories, I could be anything and do everything I want.

My life turned slightly better after I wrote positive things. I want something much, much more.

...but as I became the story, I gradually forgot what it's like to be human.

Something inside me only wish to observe, while I was dying of boredom.

While I was a boring person, I actually could not care much about anyone else.

That's why their stories were always cut short. Nevertheless, they brought my humanity back.

Was it some kind of positive karma, for treating them well?

Who knows?

I tried turning back to a human, but it felt so hollow.

Since I could do anything, I end up having no idea how to proceed.

I need to create a main character worthy enough to be my self-insert.

They will embody my deepest desires, and fulfill them.

==

The Fantasy World turned into a modern-styled bedroom.

A young man was playing on his phone. He looked in his mid-twenties; he kept sighing, while he browsed the internet.

He thought, "It's still a few days before her banner. I kept spending my gems, but I didn't get the ones I want. Why am I so unlucky? If only they came home soon, like a few pulls--I would have enough."

Looking at him reminded me of myself.

I was also hung up with gacha games, and my luck was just average. With my current salary, I couldn't spend much, since I also wanted to buy delicious food and snacks, to cope with my boring job.

I always envied people who could get rich and powerful without effort.

I also envied those who always got lucky and got what they wanted.

I was jealous of many people, but I never despised them. Someday, I'd be like them; living a life of paradise.

With a thought, I could make this man a God of Luck; always getting what he wants in life.

...but it wouldn't satisfy me.

If I were in his shoes, what kind of occurrence would make me jump in joy?

As I thought so, the man let a yawn. He grumbled something about having to work on Sunday.

He thought about his paid vacation and messaged his boss from his other phone.

At this moment, he thanked his decision to never take part in any important projects and to work in an established company, instead of a start-up.

The man didn't care whether he'd get fired the next day.

He just wanted to sleep, after spending a good night gaming.

In his bed, he thought of many things:

What if, one day, I would wake up in a different ceiling? In a much better environment where I don't have to work just to get by?

If I have a dream job, I'd like one where I don't have to compromise for anyone.

Whether others support me or hate me--even if I must go alone—I will always look forward to it.

==

That night, he had a nightmare.

His helpful co-workers and parents died, one by one. It was quite the weird scenario when he had to carry their remains in a plastic bag, as their organs began to spill.

...but he didn't panic and tried his best to salvage the situation.

"I don't want them to die. They're the ones who made my life easier, and I hope for their well-being and long lives."

While it's true, that every mortal will die.

I will make it, so everyone he cared about will stay alive and well.

He woke up in the morning to see his mother preparing fried rice, his favorite food.

She shortly left for some business; the young man wondered how to spend the day.

It was the end of the month, and his money's running out.

I didn't feel that giving him money or a powerful System will satisfy me.

That's why I would suggest the games I love.

I remember that Super Mowtendoo game that's released in 1992. It's nearly thirty years old, but I had a blast playing it.

You play as a Portuguese sailor who's out to explore the New World, starting from the year 1502. The main motive of those explorers was to find the Kingdom of Prester John.

I waited until he finished eating and took a shower.

He's finally back in his room, starting up the emulator, and loaded the game ROM.

The classic 8-bit music brought a nostalgic rush, followed by the large title screen and a flagship floating amidst turbulent waters.

It all started by naming the character.

Since the main character's Portuguese, he named him Cristiano Ronaldo.

The next step was to assign the stats, which were Strength, Intelligence, Wisdom, Courage, and Charisma.

I usually max out the Charisma, since they will greatly aid in recruiting strong allies and keep their loyalties high.

For the rest, I usually just spread them between Intelligence and Wisdom, since they helped in sailing.

I neglected Strength and Courage since they only help in battles, and they're optional.

I wasn't a fan of battles since I need to load my ship with so much food, water, and men while looking for enemies were pain and my ship couldn't go on for long.

It's much more likely to be caught in a storm than run to a random pirate.

Since my main character sucked in battles, I would recruit one with godlike battle skills, like Mitchell, who could be found early in Algiers, and he's easily recruitable.

Kamrad as well--he's the best combatant in the entire game.

For the rest, I would prioritize the 'late bloomers'. The young sailors that started up with no experience, but will become crazy strong as they got older. I would always recruit one of them in Lisbon, my starting town, where he's almost a hundred percent sure to show up.

Kamrad and Mitchell were also young sailors with low experience, but great stats and potential.

While I kept reminiscing about my good ol' days, he already assigned his character stat.

[Cristiano Ronaldo, Age: 16

Sailing Level: 1
Battle Level: 1

Strength: 99
Courage: 99
Intelligence: 99
Wisdom: 99
Charisma: 99]

Man, what the fuck.

He decided to cheat from the get-go.

...but well, it didn't seem like his first time.

n the other window, was a familiar gear icon—the cheat software I used a lot, in almost every game where cheating was allowed.

Which reminds me. While I mostly played 'legit', only relying on save states to scum around in my first playthroughs, I tend to use cheats to make it more fun.

Anyway, let's see how this young man and Cristiano Ronaldo will brave the New Age of Exploration.

It's based on the game Uncharted Waters for Super Nintendo. It's one of my most favorite games of all time :D /

3